ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA to defer to IDPH ISBE Governors office on all Return to Play guidelines

I'm entertained by all the non-educators weighing in on what teachers should be doing, or saying they don't want to work. Distance learning has provided the highest workload of any educational model implemented. Authentic instruction requires human connection. That's very difficult to achieve in a zoom meeting. If you believe teachers are just sitting on their asses enjoying time off, you're delusional. How many in corporate America were required to go into the office to participate in a zoom meeting? Exactly zero of my neighbors and friends.
We'd need an entire seperate thread to discuss meeting the needs of special education students and english language learners through a digital medium.

Your opinions reveal your ignorance.

I'm entertained by all the non-educators weighing in on what teachers should be doing, or saying they don't want to work. Distance learning has provided the highest workload of any educational model implemented. Authentic instruction requires human connection. That's very difficult to achieve in a zoom meeting. If you believe teachers are just sitting on their asses enjoying time off, you're delusional. How many in corporate America were required to go into the office to participate in a zoom meeting? Exactly zero of my neighbors and friends.
We'd need an entire seperate thread to discuss meeting the needs of special education students and english language learners through a digital medium.

Every educator that I’ve spoke to said that this whole process is a ball buster.

Every educator that I’ve spoke to said that this whole process is a ball buster.

In March and April I spent more time preparing things for the kids to do, it really did suck... This summer I have spent a lot of time converting lessons over to where they can be taught either remotely or in person.. That said, if we go remote learning this fall, my work load should be less than normal because of the work I have put in this summer..

And I see absolutely zero need to require the teachers to be in their classroom, though I was in my room 2-3 days a week to end last year..

Well, we do pay for it all... Maybe we should have some say...

Reactions: echochamber
Well, we do pay for it all... Maybe we should have some say...
Not until you look at it from the teacher's perspective.

Take a SPED teacher who thrives on organization and structure. Has multiple kids to teach with varying degrees of learning challenges as well as challenges at home. Who is used to doing this in person, one on one. That gets flipped upside and and is now scrambling to make it work. Anxiety is pretty high. Oh, and I forgot to mention they also have multiple children of their own at home, 9 and under, to get through e-learning. Their father isn't much help (and he feels awful which creates his own anxiety) because he has no idea what the hell is going since he learned how to add 5+5 thirty five years ago using a different method and is much different than what is used today.

I know firsthand because I'm describing my experience this past couple months but yea, have some say.

God bless my wife.

How many school board meetings have you attended in the past 2 years? That's where your voice is heard. Not on a high school football message board. Even better, run for school board.
Actually your voice is heard at the ballot box.

it is also heard when you make a choice of a private school over a public school

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
Actually your voice is heard at the ballot box.

it is also heard when you make a choice of a private school over a public school
I would agree that you're voice is heard at the ballot box, especially local elections including Board of Education.

As far as choosing a private school, no ones paying attention. That choice doesn't impact school funding at all. Private school enrollment is irrelevant to public school operations, policy, and management.
On that note, raise your hand if you're excited about paying your property tax plus obnoxious tuitions rates for remote learning and the same IHSA guidelines as everyone else.

I would agree that you're voice is heard at the ballot box, especially local elections including Board of Education.

As far as choosing a private school, no ones paying attention. That choice doesn't impact school funding at all. Private school enrollment is irrelevant to public school operations, policy, and management.
On that note, raise your hand if you're excited about paying your property tax plus obnoxious tuitions rates for remote learning and the same IHSA guidelines as everyone else.
These are the same people that say teachers are holding kids hostage when they strike. Just so you know what kind of people you are talking to

Secondly, has anyone noticed how the media is not reporting the number of deaths due to covid on the nightly news but are now talking about the number of confirmed cases and the curves going back up.

Depends on what news you watch. Local news in Chicago (WGN) reports the Illinois numbers (including deaths) on every news program several times a day. CNN and MSNBC are doing as you suggest. Fox is nothing more than puppet mouthpiece for the President and the GOP. Just went to the Fox website and had to look pretty hard for articles/reports on the virus on their homepage. First one I found carried the title of "Russia denies hacking attempt on COVID-19 vaccine trials, Pompeo says China will pay price for pandemic" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fox is nothing more than puppet mouthpiece for the President and the GOP. Just went to the Fox website and had to look pretty hard for articles/reports on the virus on their homepage. First one I found carried the title of "Russia denies hacking attempt on COVID-19 vaccine trials, Pompeo says China will pay price for pandemic" :rolleyes:
So CNN, MSNBC along with most local and national network "news" shows are without their bias? Be it subtle or obvious, the actual facts of a story are so framed these days by the narrative to which the network is aligned, that it has become laughable. In September, WGN will begin an evening straight news program on their national WGN America channel aimed at neutrality.

Reactions: Gene K.
In September, WGN will begin an evening straight news program on their national WGN America channel aimed at neutrality.[/QUOTE]Now wouldn't that be a novelty. The news has become sensationized in my view. BREAKING, BREAKING, RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Local NBC, ABC and CBS on their nightly news doesn't put the covid death total out, just the increase in people testing positive. The more people that are being tested would lead me to assume that there are naturally going to be more positive test results. Now wasn't that a rocket science assessment. Your definitely right about the networks being aligned with different political views. That is my take and leaves me to believe that various news outlets are putting out specific numbers on covid 19 while leaving others out in order to influence how people should react to this. The positivity rate of the tests compared to population never mentioned. The death rate due to covid compared to population never mentioned. Why is that?

Didn't take me more thaat 30 seconds to find this...

Illinois' positivity rate has crept up from early July, when it hovered at 2.6%, but compares favorably with other Midwestern averages. Iowa is at 8.9%, Indiana is at 8.4% and Wisconsin is at 6.9%. Michigan's average also is 2.6%, according to Johns Hopkins University & Medicine's Coronavirus Resource Center.

The highest positivity rate occurs in Arizona, with 26.6% and 2,537 daily cases of COVID-19, Johns Hopkins reported. In Mississippi, the positivity rate is 21.5%, and the new case count is 868; South Carolina is at 19.1% with 1,949 more cases, and Florida is at 18.6% and is experiencing a record-breaking surge -- 15,300 daily cases on Sunday.

This is the key statistic along with hospitalizations and ICU beds.

source: https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20...ositivity-rate-much-lower-than-some-neighbors

Illinois' positivity rate has crept up from early July, when it hovered at 2.6%, but compares favorably with other Midwestern averages. Iowa is at 8.9%, Indiana is at 8.4% and Wisconsin is at 6.9%. Michigan's average also is 2.6%, according to Johns Hopkins University & Medicine's Coronavirus Resource Center.

The highest positivity rate occurs in Arizona, with 26.6% and 2,537 daily cases of COVID-19, Johns Hopkins reported. In Mississippi, the positivity rate is 21.5%, and the new case count is 868; South Carolina is at 19.1% with 1,949 more cases, and Florida is at 18.6% and is experiencing a record-breaking surge -- 15,300 daily cases on Sunday.

source: https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20...ositivity-rate-much-lower-than-some-neighbors
Ummmm, I'd counter that deaths is the key statistic. Nobody checks how many people get the flu each year, even though that is counted yearly. Illinois has twice as many deaths as Florida, a state that is much more populated. New York has nearly 10 times as many deaths, but the focus has been changed to cases in order to fit the ultimate narrative that Cuomo & Pritzker are great and DeSantis is an idiot.

Ummmm, I'd counter that deaths is the key statistic. Nobody checks how many people get the flu each year, even though that is counted yearly. Illinois has twice as many deaths as Florida, a state that is much more populated. New York has nearly 10 times as many deaths, but the focus has been changed to cases in order to fit the ultimate narrative that Cuomo & Pritzker are great and DeSantis is an idiot.
But IL/NY hopefully already hit peak and FL is either in it or not yet hit the peak. DeSantis is uhhhhhh, I’ll keep my
Opinion to myself.

Reactions: PowerI66
Parts of this article speak to the savings realized for a school district with cancellation of sport seasons especially to offset all the increased costs related to keeping a safe, functional environment on the academic side. I hate to admit it, but the elimination of some part of coaching stipends along with all the other obvious costs of athletics, is not something to be totally ignored.

If the goal post has been moved from Deaths to Cases. Why weren't the schools ever closed for the 60.8 Million Cases of H1N1.

Last edited:
If the goal post has been moved from Deaths to Cases. Why weren't the schools ever closed for the 60.8 Million Cases of H1N1.

In part, because the cases with Swine Flu are different from the COVID19 cases in terms of their seriousness. Below is a good reference between COVID19 and other pandemics.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30484-9/fulltext

One stat I found to be very interesting. 1 out of every 104,000 cases of Swine Flu required ICU care. That compares to 1 out of every 16,000 cases of COVID19.

In part, because the cases with Swine Flu are different from the COVID19 cases in terms of their seriousness. Below is a good reference between COVID19 and other pandemics.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30484-9/fulltext

One stat I found to be very interesting. 1 out of every 104,000 cases of Swine Flu required ICU care. That compares to 1 out of every 16,000 cases of COVID19.
Information is readily available. I'm not sure why some people can't find it.

Reactions: Zebra
It’s a nasty election year and the country is woke.
What I don't understand is why the RNC moved the convention from Charlotte because they were going to impose restrictions. It was expected that over 50K would attend.

They move it to Jacksonville and then limit the attendence to 2500. All the while not changing their rhetoric so people like you can come to edgytim.com and say it's politics.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...50-000-in-charlotte-for-republican-convention

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-co...as-florida-coronavirus-cases-rise-11594907601

Something isn't adding up.

What I don't understand is why the RNC moved the convention from Charlotte because they were going to impose restrictions. It was expected that over 50K would attend.

They move it to Jacksonville and then limit the attendence to 2500. All the while not changing their rhetoric so people like you can come to edgytim.com and say it's politics.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...50-000-in-charlotte-for-republican-convention

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-co...as-florida-coronavirus-cases-rise-11594907601

Something isn't adding up.
Probably something to do with NC Governor being a Democrat, and Florida Governor being a Republican.

California high schools have moved football to January. Florida is expected to announce same at 4pm and Texas at some point this week will announce their changes. Stay safe out there!

Finding it isn't hard, no matter what you believe about the virus, what's hard is knowing who to believe and if the data collected is legitimate.
It's not difficult at all. Let's say a side is saying this is all political, but then limited their convention turnout by 95% then it should be clear.

Reactions: Jaymopolo
RE; Corporate America ... just returned to the office after being home since St. Patty's Day. I worked more than ever - office in the living room and no sports center - so I worked East Coast to West Coast business hours.

ANECDOTAL - middle school science teacher bought a new home and oversaw the complete renovation during this time. She just "mailed it in."

I don't see how with so many schools starting out remote they are going to then turn around and allow sports on the campus That's just not going to happen.

Did you really just say the paraphrased equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?"?

What grade are you in?

On second thought I think I will keep you un-Ignored for the entertainment.
I'm actually going to help you out. You are the 1st person on my blocked list. I don't like watching Larry, Moe, and Curly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT