ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Propsoes New Football Playoff Expansion

I say let's dump the June & July 7v7 circuit, let the kids practice and start the real season a few weeks earlier in the dog days of mid August. Couple good things out of this:

1. Season starts earlier for Edgyland!
2. No more thread arguments about the prowess of the 7v7 teams and how they going to take IL by storm in the regular season!
3. Can play more than 9 games without winter issues
4. can more easily adjust the playoff system

Id rather a kid play AAU basketball than 7 on 7 in spring. At least that way they are not getting worse at football.

The district system is the answer... I know it's tradition in Illinois but having 7a team qualify for the playoffs by playing 5,6,8a teams in conference makes no sense... you should be playing 7a teams all year to make or not make the 7a playoffs. Then there is no scheduling issue because you have to play who you have to play as determined by the state districting. And depending on number/size of districts in state you may have crossover games with neighboring districts to fill out schedule (i.e. - D1 plays D2, D3 plays D4, etc. or if numbers work out and you have 10 team districts then it's not necessary for crossovers. Yes some districts will be tougher than others and someone may get in from district 8 that sucks compared to a team from district 4 that didn't get in but such is life and it already happens now in the current system.

If a state like Texas can live without the tradition of conferences I think Illinois can.... and most states re-district every two years and there is some shifting of teams as schools enrollments increase or decrease enough to move classes. Many traditional rivalries will still occur and new ones will be created... bite the bullet and stop acting like everyone gets in is the only possible solution... fact is that's the lazy solution for the IHSA as they don't have to do the administrative work of districting every 2 years.

bias, I have been saying this for years. this will also help with the competitiveness in the class. you get weighted higher for playing top8 higher class teams even ratings for playing top8 lower class teams and playing the top8 in your class helps you seed all season long. it will basically seed all 64 teams in each class. the top 64 play for the championship, the bottom 64play for the scheduling next year and determine if they stay or get lowered.
but, all the class sizes need to play each other. so basically wk 1-4 will be playing class sized schools, 5/6/7/8 play upper or lower a class determines your competitiveness and accumulates playoff rating(seeding all 64 schools) 9/10/11 elimination rds, 12/13/14 qtrs/semis/finals and then the top8 rated teams of each class will determine that class for scheduling next year.

bias, I have been saying this for years. this will also help with the competitiveness in the class. you get weighted higher for playing top8 higher class teams even ratings for playing top8 lower class teams and playing the top8 in your class helps you seed all season long. it will basically seed all 64 teams in each class. the top 64 play for the championship, the bottom 64play for the scheduling next year and determine if they stay or get lowered.
but, all the class sizes need to play each other. so basically wk 1-4 will be playing class sized schools, 5/6/7/8 play upper or lower a class determines your competitiveness and accumulates playoff rating(seeding all 64 schools) 9/10/11 elimination rds, 12/13/14 qtrs/semis/finals and then the top8 rated teams of each class will determine that class for scheduling next year.

Glad you agreed with my post but you just took it and made it waaaay more complicated than it needs to be.... if you push for it to be the way you just talked about you can forget anything happening! It's as simple as grouping teams into districts by class size and location, deciding how many teams you want in playoffs per class and number of districts you have and top X from each district qualify.... i.e. 32 in playoff bracket, 16 districts in a class, then first and second place from each district is in playoff. Week 1 of playoffs a district champ plays a district runner-up (say district 1 champ plays district 2 second place and so on)..... really simple......

Glad you agreed with my post but you just took it and made it waaaay more complicated than it needs to be.... if you push for it to be the way you just talked about you can forget anything happening! It's as simple as grouping teams into districts by class size and location, deciding how many teams you want in playoffs per class and number of districts you have and top X from each district qualify.... i.e. 32 in playoff bracket, 16 districts in a class, then first and second place from each district is in playoff. Week 1 of playoffs a district champ plays a district runner-up (say district 1 champ plays district 2 second place and so on)..... really simple......

ya I like it. easy to start it off.
but you also want to be always getting better. higher rankings as in cali.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT