ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back one program....

guerinfbfan

Sep 25, 2005
Just having some offseason fun here.

If there was one, either defunct or since consolidated, program that you could revive to take the field as an 11man program in the fall of 2024, who would it be and why?

Reactions: 4Afan

If there was one, either defunct or since consolidated, program that you could revive to take the field as an 11man program in the fall of 2024, who would it be and why?
They consolidated and still exist, but I miss the Carthage Blueboys before they consolidated and became Illini West. There had some great teams in the late '90's, early '00's.

Too many to list 1. Check out my profile pic here & see if anyone knows who that is. Imagine if Chicago(land) were like it was back in the 70’s & 80’s. They would have a Conference with say St.Joseph, Weber, St.Francis De Sales, Seton Academy, Mendel Catholic & Hales Franciscan. Then another with Christ The King, Leo, Holy Cross, St.Gregory, Luther North & Luther South. That would be so awesome. With the right scheduling you’d get 3 or 4 teams in each Conference in the playoffs!!!! Schools who never or rarely made the playoffs!!!! Also keep the population booming. If that kept happening now only would Lincoln Way North still be going but on here we’d be talking about another school who never came to be but was in the works. Manhattan Illinois was going to be the home to Lincoln Way South High School

It’d also have to be the right situation as stated. If Kankakee Eastridge & Kankakee Westview were open now it’d have short of 800 students each & probably no way they’re playing Crete Monee or schools almost double. I wonder what Conference they’d be in. If only the Sica mess hadn’t happened. Now put them in a situation like back in the 80’s & 1,000 kids each. Joliet East too. If the area were like the 80’s & not a mess then that’d be great. Today? No. I’m a Illini 8 & Sica guy so any of those schools who are gone(Rich East,Rich South,Rich Central open as 3 football programs,Bloom & Bloom Trail separate football programs, Kankakee Eastridge & Kankakee Westview as mentioned, The brief Joliet Township merger never happened)

The plain old SICA.
Football teams moved up/down based on success.
Worked well and eliminated Stagg vs LWE or Joliet West/Central vs HF

Reactions: crazylegs777
The Walnut Blue Raiders.
13x Blackhawk Conference Champs
9x Indian Valley Conference East Champs

Streak of 10 straight 1A playoff appearances from 79 to 88. During that time the school made the quarterfinals 6 times, was a semi-finalist 1 time, and made the championship game in 1982 where they lost to Zeigler-Royalton 7-6.

Co-op with LaMoille to start the 1989 season. School closed in 1995.

The plain old SICA.
Football teams moved up/down based on success.
Worked well and eliminated Stagg vs LWE or Joliet West/Central vs HF
Division membership was based on enrollment and geography. Re-alignments and division addition/subtraction happened when schools or districts joined or left SICA.

The mention of the old SICA makes me long for the days of the Little 7 conference when it consisted of Morris, Sycamore, Minooka, Oswego, Plainfield, Yorkville, Geneva, and Batavia

Reactions: JAYC14
The Walnut Blue Raiders.
13x Blackhawk Conference Champs
9x Indian Valley Conference East Champs

Streak of 10 straight 1A playoff appearances from 79 to 88. During that time the school made the quarterfinals 6 times, was a semi-finalist 1 time, and made the championship game in 1982 where they lost to Zeigler-Royalton 7-6.

Co-op with LaMoille to start the 1989 season. School closed in 1995.
All.... Lance Parrish went to that school. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Afan
The mention of the old SICA makes me long for the days of the Little 7 conference when it consisted of Morris, Sycamore, Minooka, Oswego, Plainfield, Yorkville, Geneva, and Batavia
What year was this? I know W.V. was booted and Kaneland left after I graduated but don’t recall Yorkville and Minooka replacing them.

Not a program, but the old Midstate Conference. Now the Heart of Illinois, but not the same with all the consolidation that has occured.

Coach Percy, what years are you talking here ? As long as I can remember Luther South and North were members of the Private School League.
Late 80s early 90s......I went to PSM 90-92. Had some great wars in basketball vs these teams

Reactions: forlouann

Holy Cross. It was always a guaranteed win and a chance to pad your stats. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: guerinfbfan
Coach Percy, what years are you talking here ? As long as I can remember Luther South and North were members of the Private School League.
We finished runner up to Luther South in the state finals in track my senior year.

Last edited:
Weber was a class program ... the priests who ran the school messed up badly. They decided to put all their support behind sister school Gordon Tech.

Reactions: crazylegs777
Weber was a class program ... the priests who ran the school messed up badly. They decided to put all their support behind sister school Gordon Tech.
I just think Weber had a lot of competition in its diasporal pathways (Viator, ic, Dris, NND, HC-Gue, LA and publics in associated suburbs) and competition for becomng a MC/SR type campus in the changing FW/NW side. and GT had the advantage of being closer to the gentrifying north lakefront (which it finallyserms to be paying off).

We finished runner up to Luther South in the state finals in track my senior year.
Some dominant Class A track/field teams from Luther South for a decade-plus starting in the early '80s. That included a year (80-81) when Mike Conley, Sr. won 4 individual events (100, 200, LJ, TJ) to score all 40 of South's points to win the runner-up trophy single-handedly, behind champ Chicago Leo at 46 points. Conley went on to excel at the highest levels at both the collegiate (Arkansas) and world (Olympic gold medalist) stages. In hoops at Luther South, his team won Class A title his junior year and runner-up as a senior. A most-decorated, elite athlete from a modest 87th & Kedzie.

Sure
IMO They were never going to beat East unless Z retires. Just wasn’t going to happen.
Not sure what that has to do with anything.
They were on the other side of the conference and in a different class size in the playoffs.
But, just a reminder, Z never won a state championship without the kids who would have gone to LWN attending East.

They were on the other side of the conference and in a different class size in the playoffs.
But, just a reminder, Z never won a state championship without the kids who would have gone to LWN attending East.
Can’t argue that but North never won a state championship period.

People in Frankfort Square need to move on. The school should have never been opened. It was a huge mistake and a waste of tax payers money. No fault of the kids but this entire situation was a travesty. My kids grew up in Frankfort Square and went to East long before North was ever opened. In my mind these kids in the square are now back home at East. I think it’s the parents are having a more difficult time with the closing. I think coach Z has done an excellent job managing the north kids and parents to bring them back together.

Some good assistant coaches also came over from North and some still remain on the varsity staff there at East.

Reactions: corey90
Luther South was a very good school. If I had to do it over again I would have gone there.

Luther South was a very good school. If I had to do it over again I would have gone there.
The Luther South team that won the state basketball title had 3 or 4 of their starting 5 end up playing D1 basketball- not including Conley. They had some unbelievable athletes pass through their hallways

The Luther South team that won the state basketball title had 3 or 4 of their starting 5 end up playing D1 basketball- not including Conley. They had some unbelievable athletes pass through their hallways
Conley only played as a freshman for the Razorbacks before concentrating totally on track/field using HOF hoops coach Eddie Sutton's guidance.

Reactions: forlouann
Wouldn’t Henning have gone there?
Also, and this could be "Frankfort Square disinformation," but I remember hearing after LWN closed, that every all-conference player from LWE the next season was a kid that played at North the previous one. Tough to verify, but maybe some poster reading this thread might have the input on this statement?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT