ADVERTISEMENT

If the PLAYOFFS started today.... (Week 9)

I'm not upset JCA is in 4A. It is what it is!!! If they win the 4A championship, I'd be willing to bet their trophy will be just as big as the other class trophies. Playing for a state football championship will be something these young men will remember for the rest of their lives. Go for it JCA, ESL, Loyola, Batavia, Warren, etc.

One thing is for sure, this will change a lot after Friday. Many teams, particularly in 8A play each other.

Reactions: BIGR79
Maybe all of 6A will forfeit to avoid the bludgeoning. It’s like signing up for the Squid Game.

Why? He is talking about him and Rice I would assume. Why do people always go extreme when it comes to ESL? It's very interesting.

Why? He is talking about him and Rice I would assume. Why do people always go extreme when it comes to ESL? It's very interesting.
Is the point where I say someone like CG has a chance and the ESL faithful say I’m crazy? I’m just reading all the accolades and coming to a conclusion that the game is over. I’m giving you props, enjoy it.

Reactions: Fildough
Is the point where I say someone like CG has a chance and the ESL faithful say I’m crazy? I’m just reading all the accolades and coming to a conclusion that the game is over. I’m giving you props, enjoy it.
Not one ESL faithful has come on here and said anything of the sort. Everyone is entitled to their opinion which is cool. Just interesting. Also to be clear there is nothing to enjoy. Rankings and opinions don't mean anything. ESL has been around the block a few times to know this.

They beat us like 46-3 in 6A title game in ‘85. Legend has it they reached out to Da Bears and “offered to travel to EVERY NFL team. Try having someone that can make a decision come with the same confidence and schedule a game. ESL has opening week 1,2,3, and 9 for next year. Put up or shut up!”

Didn't you guys beat Brother Rice, who beat us?

Coasting in 7A? Batavia, Rice, SR, and many others

My outrage is sincere. I'm sick of people like you, Providence and Montini bragging about your trophy counts. Try playing someone in your class for a change, and your class isn't determined solely by enrollment. How much larger is Rice's male enrollment vs yours? Hmmm?

I don't expect you to play in 8A. But 6A would be appropriate. You might even win something you can be proud of.

4A?
I think we are all sick of you. The fact that you have outrage over this says a lot.

A championship is a championship

JCA is the best team in state hands down. They would beat LA by 2 TDS
And to do that with their enrollment is a testament to their coaches and administrators

MC63 hate the game not the playa, dawg

Your opinion Rock.
I don’t see it that way. IMO a healthy LA would beat JCA.

Reactions: Bowie50
Marist vs Naperville Central First Round with winner facing LA down the road.
Six Flags vs BEast in second round.
Multiple 8A heavyweights would be out by quarters if these matchups occur
Then some 5A team that made the semi's would be ranked above them because they made the semi's. Not that rankings matter, but since they don't at least do them right!
ESL can play the BLUE now and has offered to travel to EVERY school. Try having someone that can make a decision come with the same confidence and schedule a game. ESL has opening week 1,2,3, and 9 for next year. Put up or shut up!
I am hoping Loyola accepts the challenge. I am thinking they probably dont have a week 2 next year since they didnt have one this year. Depending on who we have I'd probably go to that. Or have Loyola at the Classic.

And for this thread... dont ever change.

Last edited:
Oh, and 5A may be the best of the bunch, although Naz looks to be rounding into form. Otherwise it might be the most balanced of the classes. Looking like how classes should look.

Oh, and 5A may be the best of the bunch, although Naz looks to be rounding into form. Otherwise it might be the most balanced of the classes. Looking like how classes should look.
Well, a class will tend to look balanced when it is full of teams who lack any consistent historical tradition beyond the quarterfinals. I had thought mascoutah may be the best of the bunch, but their recent loss gives pause. Sycamore, fenwick, Marmion, Morris all look like fine teams, but none seem to scream “championship” caliber this season. But one of them likely will win by default.

rochester is a huge wild card who could make either 4A or 5A look dramatically different depending on where they wind up.

Well, a class will tend to look balanced when it is full of teams who lack any consistent historical tradition beyond the quarterfinals. I had thought mascoutah may be the best of the bunch, but their recent loss gives pause. Sycamore, fenwick, Marmion, Morris all look like fine teams, but none seem to scream “championship” caliber this season. But one of them likely will win by default.

rochester is a huge wild card who could make either 4A or 5A look dramatically different depending on where they wind up.
Thats because youre looking through the prism of an 8A team that plays 5A so to you 5A championship teams look like 8A contenders. The reason those teams in 5A dont have consistent championship tradition is because real 5A teams dont look like 8A teams so they struggle to get by them. This is what the class would look like in it's natural form (minus Naz).

Reactions: redmen85
Thats because youre looking through the prism of an 8A team that plays 5A so to you 5A championship teams look like 8A contenders. The reason those teams in 5A dont have consistent championship tradition is because real 5A teams dont look like 8A teams so they struggle to get by them. This is what the class would look like in it's natural form (minus Naz).

forgot about naz. If they are 5A , they have a chance to make some noise in a field with a void at the top, perhaps arriving a year or two early.

I’m just used to a class (1a through 8a) with 2 to 5 teams one can say “they can win it all.” This years 5A is the only class I can remember in some time where that list is probably over 10 long because teams 1 through 5 are all fine, but nothing jumps out.

Morris 15 years ago, SHG, metamora, lemont, a smaller Lincoln way west, hillcrest of the 2010s, etc are teams that usually litter 5A where I don’t see any modern day equivalent today.

if this was even a “plus” sycamore team, they’d be a great favorite. I am pulling for schools like sycamore and mascoutah. But they just don’t seem as “up” as I had assumed a few weeks ago.

i agree 5A can be great with the program names listed above. I just don’t see it as being a great year for this class because sycamore isn’t the sycamore of years past, mascoutah had a tough loss, marmion isn’t as good as I thought before the season, if Rochester winds up in 5A I don’t know that they will replicate their 2019 nastiness. Just my observations. Maybe I’m wrong and one of these teams puts it all together. I just wish we could see 2019 sycamore in a 5A semi final with recent vintage Rochester, hillcrest, and lemont.

Heck, in the mid 2010s 5A even saw really “up” Phillips, Peoria, Vernon hills, and richwoods teams.

all of them you could look at and say “there’s a Peoria team that could be real dangerous.” Looking at the field this year. I just don’t see that jaw dropping “I’m impressed” group. It’s a bunch of “sycamore looks pretty good, but they have had 6 better teams over the last decade” a very young Naz team may be the one that intrigues me the most.

Last edited:
forgot about naz. If they are 5A , they have a chance to make some noise in a field with a void at the top, perhaps arriving a year or two early.

I’m just used to a class (1a through 8a) with 2 to 5 teams one can say “they can win it all.” This years 5A is the only class I can remember in some time where that list is probably over 10 long because teams 1 through 5 are all fine, but nothing jumps out.

Morris 15 years ago, SHG, metamora, lemont, a smaller Lincoln way west, hillcrest of the 2010s, etc are teams that usually litter 5A where I don’t see any modern day equivalent today.

if this was even a “plus” sycamore team, they’d be a great favorite. I am pulling for schools like sycamore and mascoutah. But they just don’t seem as “up” as I had assumed a few weeks ago.

i agree 5A can be great with the program names listed above. I just don’t see it as being a great year for this class because sycamore isn’t the sycamore of years past, mascoutah had a tough loss, marmion isn’t as good as I thought before the season, if Rochester winds up in 5A I don’t know that they will replicate their 2019 nastiness. Just my observations. Maybe I’m wrong and one of these teams puts it all together. I just wish we could see 2019 sycamore in a 5A semi final with recent vintage Rochester, hillcrest, and lemont.

Heck, in the mid 2010s 5A even saw really “up” Phillips, Peoria, Vernon hills, and richwoods teams.

all of them you could look at and say “there’s a Peoria team that could be real dangerous.” Looking at the field this year. I just don’t see that jaw dropping “I’m impressed” group. It’s a bunch of “sycamore looks pretty good, but they have had 6 better teams over the last decade” a very young Naz team may be the one that intrigues me the most.
That long list of could win it all's is what makes the class great. When I look at a class and I see 29 schools with no chance and 3 that do, that class is automatically garbage. Not that the teams are garbage, but the class is uninteresting to me. So when IC is running through 2A with two D1 running backs and lines that look 6A, it is a bad look.

I think Phillips actually revealed the formula. The have a small enrollment, but operated basically as an open enrollment school which allowed them to accumulate talent that schools their size just dont have. Then they used that combination to win championships. Now, as a CPS school that also includes the issues that CPS schools have so it wasnt quite what private open enrollment schools experience, but close enough for my point. I think they too recognized they werent really a 4A school and thus opted up. Not sure they were 7A either though. Perhaps 6A was the right fit.

I'm not seeing all the Naz love. Their four victories are squeaking by ND, and victories over Carmel, Leo and Montini. Heck, their greatest achievement for the season is only losing by 3 to SR.

I'm not seeing all the Naz love. Their four victories are squeaking by ND, and victories over Carmel, Leo and Montini. Heck, their greatest achievement for the season is only losing by 3 to SR.
They were never blown off the field by anyone, including Marist and Rita, then playing in 5A. If they were in 7A/8A I dont think we'd see them as a favorite at all.

Rock/paper/scissors.... Rock/Witty/Tom wasn't 5 out of their top 6 sitting for SR? 2-DB's WR OL RB?

That long list of could win it all's is what makes the class great. When I look at a class and I see 29 schools with no chance and 3 that do, that class is automatically garbage. Not that the teams are garbage, but the class is uninteresting to me. So when IC is running through 2A with two D1 running backs and lines that look 6A, it is a bad look.

I think Phillips actually revealed the formula. The have a small enrollment, but operated basically as an open enrollment school which allowed them to accumulate talent that schools their size just dont have. Then they used that combination to win championships. Now, as a CPS school that also includes the issues that CPS schools have so it wasnt quite what private open enrollment schools experience, but close enough for my point. I think they too recognized they werent really a 4A school and thus opted up. Not sure they were 7A either though. Perhaps 6A was the right fit.
I wholeheartedly agree if you say that it makes the class have parity or be wide open. I don’t think it is great or even close to it as all of the favorites can point to a handful of teams their own program has fielded over the last decade as being significantly better than this years version, except maybe Morris. I think there is parity and it is wide open and perhaps even exciting. But it is roundly mediocre by most of these schools standards.

Rock/paper/scissors.... Rock/Witty/Tom wasn't 5 out of their top 6 sitting for SR? 2-DB's WR OL RB?
Sure, key players were out but I contended that week that people didn’t understand how much of a quality win for St. Rita that was.

I still contend that it was a victory over a 4-1, crazier possibility of 5-0 team whose losses were one point loss to then ranked Richards, 5pt loss to 19th ranked Lemont and 2TD loss top ten Marist.

The QB change changed their season’s trajectory period. And if it was made sooner…who knows what their record entering the St. Rita game would have been. But I do know now, discount Nazareth going forward at your own risk.

I wholeheartedly agree if you say that it makes the class have parity or be wide open. I don’t think it is great or even close to it as all of the favorites can point to a handful of teams their own program has fielded over the last decade as being significantly better than this years version, except maybe Morris. I think there is parity and it is wide open and perhaps even exciting. But it is roundly mediocre by most of these schools standards.
I dont know if those programs in that class can point to a handful of teams that are better than this year's edition. And even if that is true not every school's best team wins a championship and not every championship team is special. For example do you really buy into the narrative that the 2018 JCA team was special? Really? Or just an average team that dropped into a class they didnt belong?

For me, our 2017 team was phenomenal. But had some losses and an injury in week 9 killed our playoff hopes and lost in rd 1. Where 2019 was a good not great team that managed to get to the Qtrs.

For example do you really buy into the narrative that the 2018 JCA team was special? Really? Or just an average team that dropped into a class they didnt belong?
The 2018 JCA team's run starting in Week 9 against ND was special. The team did not have special talent. After all, they got running clocked earlier in the year by a team that was in a lower class, IC.

No one has mentioned Kankakee as one of the 5A contenders. They are undefeated and play Crete tonight. IMO, Crete is very good. If Kankakee wins or even plays Crete tough, I'd stamp them as one of the many 5A contenders.

The 2018 JCA team's run starting in Week 9 against ND was special. The team did not have special talent. After all, they got running clocked earlier in the year by a team that was in a lower class, IC.

No one has mentioned Kankakee as one of the 5A contenders. They are undefeated and play Crete tonight. IMO, Crete is very good. If Kankakee wins or even plays Crete tough, I'd stamp them as one of the many 5A contenders.
So, to illustrate my point to @JCHillmen maybe the teams in 5A that he sees as not special will begin their special run and be seen as special by their fans or fans in general after November. Or maybe not, like how that JCA team looked extremely average to me. That was a very entertaining game against Montini though.

I havent seen Kankakee or Crete for that matter. I know their conference is really struggling right now. I know their (Kankakee) non-cons havent been a who's who either. I know Crete lost to but was somewhat competitive with a down East and up JCA. But it will be interesting seeing what happens. Personally I think Naz wins the class with some competitive games.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Naz compete in 7A like they have been? Asking for a friend?
Someone said Batavia people were tired of their season ending at Nazareth so maybe IHSA threw you a bone to give you guys a chance 🤷🏼‍♂️

Success factor rule that bumped Naz up TWO classes is not currently in effect, due to Covid year. Naz is one of only 8 teams in the state still multipled which takes them to 5a but if they were not multipled their enrollment of about 750 would put them comfortably in 4a.

Curious how Loyola dropped to 7A if success factor wasn’t used? They couldn’t have a drastic drop in enrollment.

Someone said Batavia people were tired of their season ending at Nazareth so maybe IHSA threw you a bone to give you guys a chance 🤷🏼‍♂️

Success factor rule that bumped Naz up TWO classes is not currently in effect, due to Covid year. Naz is one of only 8 teams in the state still multipled which takes them to 5a but if they were not multipled their enrollment of about 750 would put them comfortably in 4a.
Lucky for Naz I guess.. I guess they're scared to end our season again..

Reactions: Irish LB
So, to illustrate my point to @JCHillmen maybe the teams in 5A that he sees as not special will begin their special run and be seen as special by their fans or fans in general after November. Or maybe not, like how that JCA team looked extremely average to me. That was a very entertaining game against Montini though.

I havent seen Kankakee or Crete for that matter. I know their conference is really struggling right now. I know their (Kankakee) non-cons havent been a who's who either. I know Crete lost to but was somewhat competitive with a down East and up JCA. But it will be interesting seeing what happens. Personally I think Naz wins the class with some competitive games.
Sycamore and Peoria have had special teams over the last decade. Same with sterling and Rochester. This year is not that special group for any of them. Sometimes that leads to a title and sometimes it doesn’t . They may win a title this year, but it will be against a bunch of other programs also not having a special year, so a pretty good program will get a title with a less than dominant group. Even removing naz, Montini, JC, these are just not these schools’ best or anywhere near it from the recent past, except for maybe Morris.

doesnt make it less exciting. In fact, maybe it’s more exciting. It just makes it a down year in 5A.

Reactions: gw86

I agree. Kankakee will be a factor In Either 5A or 6a this year.

2018 JCA was not a special group in terms of talent. Resilient and tough, but they got running clocked a few times by superior talent.

I agree. Kankakee will be a factor In Either 5A or 6a this year.

2018 JCA was not a special group in terms of talent. Resilient and tough, but they got running clocked a few times by superior talent.
Naz clocked them in week 8 iirc if you would have told me that JCA team would win state I would have said you were nuts. That’s a testament to their leadership and coaching,

I dont know if those programs in that class can point to a handful of teams that are better than this year's edition. And even if that is true not every school's best team wins a championship and not every championship team is special. For example do you really buy into the narrative that the 2018 JCA team was special? Really? Or just an average team that dropped into a class they didnt belong?

For me, our 2017 team was phenomenal. But had some losses and an injury in week 9 killed our playoff hopes and lost in rd 1. Where 2019 was a good not great team that managed to get to the Qtrs.
By less than a foot!!! :)

Reactions: Cross Bones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT