ADVERTISEMENT

If the PLAYOFFS started today.... (Week 6)

Catch--22

Sep 29, 2006
Lombard
Every Monday(-ish), I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standings were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of that before proceeding.

My adjustments.....

The South Seven Conference leader (champ) was not in the playoff field. I inserted their conference leader, Carbondale (2-2/21), into 5A. This move was not really necessary because other conference teams were in the field. But every champ goes to the post-season if the league has 6 or more teams, and I accounted for that possibility. This gave us 257 teams.

I need to eliminate 1 team. Carmel was 2-3/26 at the bottom of the playoff field. No ties. They are the eliminated team from the 256, conveniently, from 5A also.

Now I just need to adjust the classes to balance them at 32 teams each. Loyola petitioned up to 8A, so we move them up. Downers North was the smallest 8A team, so they slide down to 7A. East St. Louis petitioned up to 6A, so we move them up. Lakes was the smallest 6A team, so they slide down to 5A. Supposedly Immaculate Conception petitioned to play up in 3A. They are currently in 4A in the Outlook. I left them there. FYI, if they end up in 3A, Stillman Valley would moved up, as of today.

THAT'S IT!

I'm skipping the biggest/smallest schools in each class for now because I have an OrangeTheory class in 20 minutes. Maybe I'll edit them in later. If those of you familiar with this post can take care of the newbies who wonder "how can you RANK Whitney Young ahead of Mount Carmel", I'd really appreciate it. I'll check back in later.

* is the smallest team in the class
^ is the biggest team in the class

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Taft at #1 Loyola
#17 Bolingbrook at #16 Hinsdale Central
#25 Evanston at #8 Glenbard West
#24 Naperville Central at #9 Brother Rice

#29 O'Fallon at #4 Glenbrook South
#20 Bartlett at #13 Warren
#28 Metea Valley at #5 Lockport
#21 Rich at #12 Glenbard North

Lower Bracket
#31 Edwardsville at #2 York
#18 Glenbard East at #15 Maine South
#26 Palatine at #7 Oswego East
#23 West Aurora at #10 Marist

#30 East Aurora at #3 South Elgin
#19 Homewood-Flossmoor at #14 Plainfield North
#27 New Trier at #6 Neuqua Valley
#22 Oswego at #11 Lincoln-Way East

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 St. Charles North at #1 Batavia
#17 Pekin at #16 Moline
#25 Phillips at #8 Geneva
#24 Eisenhower at #9 Downers North

#29 Willowbrook at #4 Normal
#20 Wheaton-Warrenville South at #13 Libertyville
#28 Thornwood at #5 Collinsville
#21 Yorkville at #12 Buffalo Grove

Lower Bracket
#31 Lincoln-Way West at #2 Hersey
#18 Plainfield Central at #15 Hoffman Estates
#26 St. Rita at #7 Mount Carmel
#23 Reavis at #10 Wheaton North

#30 Glenbrook North at #3 Hononegah
#19 Rolling Meadows at #14 Prospect
#27 Jacobs at #6 Whitney Young
#22 Mundelein at #11 TF South

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 Antioch at #1 St, Ignatius
#9 Mather #8 Harlem
#13 Crystal Lake South at #4 Wauconda
#12 Crystal Lake Central at #5 Amundsen

#15 Vernon Hills at #2 Cary-Grove
#10 Grayslake Central at #7 Prairie Ridge
#14 Hampshire at #3 Belvidere North
#11 Deerfield at #6 Lake Forest

Lower Bracket
#16 Kennedy at #1 Lemont
#9 Bremen at #8 Crete-Monee
#13 Bloomington at #4 East St. Louis
#12 Springfield at #5 Richards

#15 Danville at #2 Kenwood
#10 Rock Island at #7 Normal West
#14 United at #3 Riverside-Brookfield
#11 Washington at #6 Glenwood

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 St. Viator at #1 Morris
#9 St. Patrick #8 Fenwick
#13 Brooks at #4 Goode
#12 Boylan Catholic at #5 Glenbard South

#15 Morgan Park at #2 Sycamore
#10 Kaneland at #7 Noble/Comer
#14 Payton at #3 Sterling
#11 Marion at #6 Lakes

Lower Bracket
#16 Carbondale at #1 Kankakee
#9 Centralia #8 Providence
#13 Jacksonville at #4 Metamora
#12 Morton at #5 Triad

#15 Hillcrest at #2 Mahomet-Seymour
#10 LaSalle-Peru at #7 Marion
#14 Mattoon at #3 Mascoutah
#11 Streator at #6 Peoria

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 De La Salle at #1 Joliet Catholic
#9 Hyde Park #8 Dixon
#13 Marengo at #4 Sullivan
#12 Coal City at #5 St. Francis

#15 Bogan at #2 Immaculate Conception
#10 Plano at #7 Wheaton Academy
#14 Rochelle at #3 Richmond-Burton
#11 St. Laurence at #6 Evergreen Park

Lower Bracket
#16 Effingham at #1 Mount Zion
#9 Civic Memorial #8 Salem
#13 Macomb at #4 Murphysboro
#12 Richland County at #5 Quincy Notre Dame

#15 Waterloo at #2 Rochester
#10 Peoria Notre Dame at #7 Breese Central
#14 Paris at #3 Carterville
#11 Freeburg at #6 Sacred Heart-Griffin

~~~ 3A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 Herscher at #1 Kewanee
#9 Monmouth-Roseville #8 Genoa-Kingston
#13 Carver at #4 Clark
#12 Elmwood-Brimfield at #5 Princeton

#15 Montini at #2 Reed-Custer
#10 Lisle at #7 Mendota
#14 King at #3 Byron
#11 Peotone at #6 Du-Pec Coop

Lower Bracket
#16 DuQuoin at #1 Tolono Unity
#9 Stillman Valley at #8 Greenville
#13 Southwestern at #4 Benton
#12 Paxton-Buckley-Loda at #5 Williamsville

#15 Beardstown at #2 Monticello
#10 Eureka at #7 Carlinville
#14 Newton at #3 Mt. Carmel
#11 Prairie Central at #6 Harrisburg

Last edited:
As a Glenbard West fan, I will pass on that draw. Hopefully it looks better next week.
There really isn’t an enticing bracket in 8A. If forced I’d have to go with the upper portion of the lower bracket, but Swagger High/Marist makes it immediately a test. What a tourney 8A will be!!

As a Glenbard West fan, I will pass on that draw. Hopefully it looks better next week.
As a Hinsdale Central fan, I too will pass on that draw. GW beating York this weekend will definitely provide a different draw, as GW will finally accumulate some playoff points.

There really isn’t an enticing bracket in 8A. If forced I’d have to go with the upper portion of the lower bracket, but Swagger High/Marist makes it immediately a test. What a tourney 8A will be!!
Agreed. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Going to be a tough road for everyone.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
All..... Point of order sir! (Catch) Unless something really strange is going on in the seed world this year. In the 6A lower bracket you have #12 SHS playing #5 Richwoods. The Knights are currently sitting at 0-5. They will get their first win this season though when they play winless Thornton in Peoria. Buy your tickets early for that game. Ratsy

Its playoff prep time. Home of six flags time of year running, defense and special teams travel everywhere. It does not matter the match up for Warren. I am sure all opponents will be capable of winning. Like every year certain pathways are easier than others.

Ha! I hear you Brin, but since it's 1-32 seeding, I definitely accept this Round 1 matchup between the Mustang and the Caravan.

I honestly do not think it's going to end up this way, but it's very interesting. In the scenario, I feel Cascia's first two playoff games (if they'd advance) would be way tougher than their potential Quarterfinal and Semi-final matchups.

Reactions: Gene K.
Its playoff prep time. Home of six flags time of year running, defense and special teams travel everywhere. It does not matter the match up for Warren. I am sure all opponents will be capable of winning. Like every year certain pathways are easier than others.
I think you forgot weather too. Weather is very important for Warren winning playoff games like you said.

Probably not, but I'm glad they would have to travel to Lemont before the championship game.....
That's not guaranteed. Everything will depend on seeding and who has the least amount of home games. Lemont maybe traveling to ESL. Time will tell.

If those of you familiar with this post can take care of the newbies who wonder "how can you RANK Whitney Young ahead of Mount Carmel", I'd really appreciate it.

Would someone please explain Neuqua Valley's #6 ranking to 'Pops' before he throws numbers and Vegas lines and starts calling all of us names.....😢

Some fun ones in 8A and 7A
#24 Naperville Central at #9 Brother Rice

#31 Edwardsville at #2 York

#26 Palatine at #7 Oswego East

#22 Oswego at #11 Lincoln-Way East

#25 Phillips at #8 Geneva

#20 Wheaton-Warrenville South at #13 Libertyville

#26 St. Rita at #7 Mount Carmel

it's not a 'what if' bracket above, it's what it would look like today (roughly)

I am very familiar with the concept. Someone took it a step further and threw out that if both Lemont and ESL made it to the Quarters, the game would be in Lemont. There are scenarios in which the game is not guaranteed to be in Lemont based on the above "if the playoffs started today" bracket that Catch provided. In this exact bracket and seeding Springfield can beat Richwoods which will require ESL to travel to Springfield. If that happens, Lemont will have two home games while ESL had one. In this case, Lemont would travel to ESL for the quarters. So based on today's seeding and bracket above, it is not guaranteed that Lemont would play ESL in the quarters at Lemont.

I am very familiar with the concept. Someone took it a step further and threw out that if both Lemont and ESL made it to the Quarters, the game would be in Lemont. There are scenarios in which the game is not guaranteed to be in Lemont based on the above "if the playoffs started today" bracket that Catch provided. In this exact bracket and seeding Springfield can beat Richwoods which will require ESL to travel to Springfield. If that happens, Lemont will have two home games while ESL had one. In this case, Lemont would travel to ESL for the quarters. So based on today's seeding and bracket above, it is not guaranteed that Lemont would play ESL in the quarters at Lemont.
touche'

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
All..... Hot off the press. Thornton has forfeited their game with Richwoods. Congrats to PR on their first win. Maybe this will change their seeding./s Ratsy

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
All..... Point of order sir! (Catch) Unless something really strange is going on in the seed world this year. In the 6A lower bracket you have #12 SHS playing #5 Richwoods. The Knights are currently sitting at 0-5. They will get their first win this season though when they play winless Thornton in Peoria. Buy your tickets early for that game. Ratsy
Ratsy, you are correct. #5 seed in the lower bracket of 6A should be Oak Lawn Richards. I edited the posted. Great catch!

All..... Hot off the press. Thornton has forfeited their game with Richwoods. Congrats to PR on their first win. Maybe this will change their seeding./s Ratsy
Was the forfeit due to covid? If not, man has that program fallen off the edge. At one time in the not so distant past, Thornton had a real good program.

Ummm, never called anyone names I was called a name. And I VERY nicely “accepted” the nickname because I’m cool like that. Not sure why I got dragged into the discussion. But I guess it means I’m “relevant..”. Thanks for the compliment!!!😉😉😉😉
If those of you familiar with this post can take care of the newbies who wonder "how can you RANK Whitney Young ahead of Mount Carmel", I'd really appreciate it.

Would someone please explain Neuqua Valley's #6 ranking to 'Pops' before he throws numbers and Vegas lines and starts calling all of us names.....😢

Ummm, never called anyone names I was called a name. And I VERY nicely “accepted” the nickname because I’m cool like that. Not sure why I got dragged into the discussion. But I guess it means I’m “relevant..”. Thanks for the compliment!!!😉😉😉😉

91iAT2KVL4L.jpg

Reactions: ska549
Was the forfeit due to covid? If not, man has that program fallen off the edge. At one time in the not so distant past, Thornton had a real good program.
All..... "Covid issues" was my understanding. Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT