ADVERTISEMENT

If the PLAYOFFS started today, after Wednesday's decisions (Week 9.2) UGH!!!

Catch--22

Sep 29, 2006
Lombard
Proviso East is out, and their opponents lose 4 playoff points
Simeon, CMA-Bronzeville, and Phoenix are ineligible because they only played 7 games.
5 other CPS schools with 4 wins are likely out because they can't win a 5th game.
Of the 8 CPS teams in question, only Simeon and Whitney Young were in the Outlook 256.
Joliet West IN as SPEC "Champ"

WHAT HAPPENED?

OH, PROVISO!!!!

GW and Warren flip seeds. The Proviso forfeits to Leyden and AT actually earned 2 pp for GW.
OPRF in the playoffs. The Proviso forfeit to Morton earned 1 pp for OPRF.
LT out of the playoffs. LT played Proviso and LOST 4 pp.
DGN in the playoffs. The Proviso forfeit to AT earned 1 pp for DGN.

Crazy that Proviso East forfeits 3 games to WSC members, none of which are helped. Yet, the playoff points involved directly affect the playoffs for 3 OTHER WSC teams close to the cut-off. One measly playoff point gets two teams into the post-season.

In 7A, seeds 18 and lower all slide up one seed.
Eisenhower up to 7A.
Antioch up to 6A.
Kenwood & Deerfield slide down one seed.
R-B jumped up a few seeds, but I can't figure out why. Maybe they had an error Monday.
Dunlap up to 6A.
Yorkville loses a home game.
Hillcrest goes from lower bracket to upper bracket.
Mount Zion up to 5A.
East St. Louis loses #1 seed in 5A lower bracket.
Peo ND up to 5A.
Seeds 1 thru 4 in 4A lower bracket slide up one spot.
Benton up to 4A.
Kewanee up to 4A.

If enough teams win 5 games to fill the 256, more CPS teams are in trouble at 5-3 with very low pp. Those teams are Clark, Sullivan, Marine, MoPo, and Hyde Park. Looks like Taft, Curie, and Lincoln Park are in safely.

The changes between this field and Monday's field are in BOLD

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Joliet West at #1 Minooka
#17 Plainfield North at #16 Edwardsville
#25 Downers Grove South at #8 Huntley
#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

#29 Oswego East at #4 Glenbard West
#20 Conant at #13 Loyola
#28 Stevenson at #5 Warren
#21 Brother Rice at #12 Hinsdale Central

Lower Bracket
#31 New Trier at #2 Oswego
#18 St. Charles East at #15 Maine South
#26 Marist at #7 Notre Dame
#23 Taft at #10 Neuqua Valley

#30 Oak Park at #3 Lincoln-Way East
#19 Bolingbrook at #14 Fremd
#27 Naperville Central at #6 Homewood-Flossmoor
#22 Barrington at #11 South Elgin

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Downers Grove North
at #1 Mount Carmel
#17 Grant at #16 Thornton
#25 Auburn at #8 Willowbrook
#24 Lake Zurich at #9 Maine West

#29 Wheaton North at #4 Rolling Meadows
#20 Pekin at #13 Harlem
#28 Hoffman Estates at #5 Phillips
#21 Lincoln Park at #12 Hononegah

Lower Bracket
#31 Moline
at #2 Nazareth
#18 Glenbard North at #15 Andrew
#26 Wheaton-Warrenville South at #7 Glenbard East
#23 DeKalb at #10 Benet Academy

#30 St. Charles North at #3 Hersey
#19 Lincoln-Way West at #14 Prospect
#27 Eisenhower at #6 Normal
#22 TF South at #11 Batavia

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Lake Forest at #1 Richards
#9 Kaneland #8 Belvidere North
#13 Crystal Lake South at #4 Kenwood
#12 Crystal Lake Central at #5 Deerfield

#15 St. Ignatius at #2 Prairie Ridge
#10 Mather at #7 Cary-Grove
#14 Reavis at #3 Antioch
#11 Lakes at #6 Riverside-Brookfield

Lower Bracket
#16 TF North at #1 Glenwood
#9 Yorkville at #8 Springfield
#13 Thornwood
at #4 Dunlap
#12 Shepard at #5 Providence

#15 Danville at #2 Crete-Monee
#10 Rock Island at #7 Lemont
#14 Washington
at #3 Peoria
#11 Bremen at #6 Normal West

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 St. Viator at #1 Sterling
#9 Elmwood Park #8 Marmion
#13 Morgan Park at #4 Sycamore
#12 Glenbard South at #5 Hillcrest

#15 St. Laurence at #2 Boylan Catholic
#10 St. Rita at #7 Montini
#14 Hyde Park at #3 Payton
#11 Fenwick at #6 Amundsen

Lower Bracket
#16 Mascoutah at #1 Mount Zion
#9 Triad
at #8 Morton
#13 LaSalle-Peru at #4 Kankakee
#12 Joliet Catholic at #5 Carbondale

#15 Sacred Heart-Griffin at #2 East St. Louis
#10 Peo. Notre Dame
at #7 Cahokia
#14 MacArthur at #3 Marion
#11 Highland at #6 Morris

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Wheaton Academy at #1 Coal City
#9 Ag Science #8 Marengo
#13 Marine at #4 Richmond-Burton
#12 Sullivan at #5 Immaculate Conception

#15 Sandwich at #2 Valley Central
#10 Bishop Mac at #7 Genoa-Kingston
#14 Manteno at #3 Stillman Valley
#11 Dixon at #6 St. Francis

Lower Bracket
#16 Herrin at #1 Rochester
#9 Prairie Central #8 Murphysboro
#13 Taylorville at #4 Paris
#12 Clinton at #5 Benton

#15 Breese Central at #2 Columbia
#10 Salem
at #7 Richland County
#14 Freeburg at #3 Effingham
#11 Kewanee
at #6 Civic Memorial

Incredible work Catch! My biggest question goes back to the States #1 ranked team, ESL. Most other predictors have them as a solid 6a team while you have them in 5a. This is the biggest shift of power that seems to be out there.

Incredible work Catch! My biggest question goes back to the States #1 ranked team, ESL. Most other predictors have them as a solid 6a team while you have them in 5a. This is the biggest shift of power that seems to be out there.

If the playoffs started TODAY.

Reactions: Relist8
According to the projection article I read the CPS strike has opened the door and the most likely beneficiaries are weighted toward the smaller classes. This will push the middle class cut line up.

Many casual fans don’t realize it, but in football, you’re not technically assigned to a class like you are in other sports. Of all the 500+ football playing schools, they take the “best“ 256 into the postseason. The best is determined by wins, playoff points, and conference champions. Then the largest 32 teams in enrollment go to 8A, the next largest 32 to 7A, etc.

Some schools like Glenbard South, Antioch, Glenbard North, always seem to be right around the cut off line between classes. It’s a simple as this… If 96 schools larger than East St. Louis qualify for the playoffs, they will be in 5A. If 95 or fewer schools larger than them qualify for the playoffs, they will be 6A. As awesome as they are, it does totally swing the brackets this year. I just want to clarify that it’s not as if the IHSA is moving them.

The cookie crumbles the way it crumbles. Something as simple as a school with 4000 kids, 300 miles away losing a game they should win this weekend, and therefore knocking them out of the playoffs, can affect the Flyers playoff classification. It’s one big playoff sliced 8 ways, unlike basketball, baseball, etc where the classes don’t affect each other.

Simeon, CMA-Bronzeville, and Phoenix are ineligible because they only played 7 games.
5 other CPS schools with 4 wins are likely out because they can't win a 5th game.
Of the 8 CPS teams in question, only Simeon and Whitney Young were in the Outlook 256.

WHAT HAPPENED?

OH, PROVISO!!!!

GW and Warren flip seeds. The Proviso forfeits to Leyden and AT actually earned 2 pp for GW.

Crazy that Proviso East forfeits 3 games to WSC members, none of which are helped. Yet, the playoff points involved directly affect the playoffs for 3 OTHER WSC teams close to the cut-off. One measly playoff point gets two teams into the post-season.

Eisenhower up to 7A.
Antioch up to 6A.
R-B jumped up a few seeds, but I can't figure out why. Maybe they had an error Monday.
Dunlap up to 6A.
Mount Zion up to 5A.
Peo ND up to 5A.
Benton up to 4A.
Kewanee up to 4A.

If enough teams win 5 games to fill the 256, more CPS teams are in trouble at 5-3 with very low pp. Those teams are Clark, Sullivan, Marine, MoPo, and Hyde Park. Looks like Taft, Curie, and Lincoln Park are in safely.

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

#20 Conant at #13 Loyola

Lower Bracket
#31 New Trier at #2 Oswego
#18 St. Charles East at #15 Maine South
#26 Marist at #7 Notre Dame
#23 Taft at #10 Neuqua Valley

#30 Oak Park at #3 Lincoln-Way East
#19 Bolingbrook at #14 Fremd
#27 Naperville Central at #6 Homewood-Flossmoor
#22 Barrington at #11 South Elgin

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Downers Grove North
at #1 Mount Carmel
#17 Grant at #16 Thornton
#25 Auburn at #8 Willowbrook
#24 Lake Zurich at #9 Maine West

#29 Wheaton North at #4 Rolling Meadows
#20 Pekin at #13 Harlem
#28 Hoffman Estates at #5 Phillips
#21 Lincoln Park at #12 Hononegah

Lower Bracket
#31 Moline
at #2 Nazareth
#18 Glenbard North at #15 Andrew
#26 Wheaton-Warrenville South at #7 Glenbard East
#23 DeKalb at #10 Benet Academy

#30 St. Charles North at #3 Hersey
#19 Lincoln-Way West at #14 Prospect
#27 Eisenhower at #6 Normal
#22 TF South at #11 Batavia

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Lake Forest at #1 Richards
#9 Kaneland #8 Belvidere North
#13 Crystal Lake South at #4 Kenwood
#12 Crystal Lake Central at #5 Deerfield

#15 St. Ignatius at #2 Prairie Ridge
#10 Mather at #7 Cary-Grove
#14 Reavis at #3 Antioch
#11 Lakes at #6 Riverside-Brookfield

Lower Bracket
#16 TF North at #1 Glenwood
#9 Yorkville at #8 Springfield
#13 Thornwood
at #4 Dunlap
#12 Shepard at #5 Providence

#15 Danville at #2 Crete-Monee
#10 Rock Island at #7 Lemont
#14 Washington
at #3 Peoria
#11 Bremen at #6 Normal West

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 St. Viator at #1 Sterling
#9 Elmwood Park #8 Marmion
#13 Morgan Park at #4 Sycamore
#12 Glenbard South at #5 Hillcrest

#15 St. Laurence at #2 Boylan Catholic
#10 St. Rita at #7 Montini
#14 Hyde Park at #3 Payton
#11 Fenwick at #6 Amundsen

Lower Bracket
#16 Mascoutah at #1 Mount Zion
#9 Triad
at #8 Morton
#13 LaSalle-Peru at #4 Kankakee
#12 Joliet Catholic at #5 Carbondale

#15 Sacred Heart-Griffin at #2 East St. Louis
#10 Peo. Notre Dame
at #7 Cahokia
#14 MacArthur at #3 Marion
#11 Highland at #6 Morris

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Wheaton Academy at #1 Coal City
#9 Ag Science #8 Marengo
#13 Marine at #4 Richmond-Burton
#12 Sullivan at #5 Immaculate Conception

#15 Sandwich at #2 Valley Central
#10 Bishop Mac at #7 Genoa-Kingston
#14 Manteno at #3 Stillman Valley
#11 Dixon at #6 St. Francis

Lower Bracket
#16 Herrin at #1 Rochester
#9 Prairie Central #8 Murphysboro
#13 Taylorville at #4 Paris
#12 Clinton at #5 Benton

#15 Breese Central at #2 Columbia
#10 Salem
at #7 Richland County
#14 Freeburg at #3 Effingham
#11 Kewanee
at #6 Civic Memorial
Rita v Montini round 1...jeez! Then winner get Byolan or STL...yikes. Fenwick a potential 2wk bye to the qtrs.....unbelievable.

Reactions: IgorStL
Rita v Montini round 1...jeez! Then winner get Byolan or STL...yikes. Fenwick a potential 2wk bye to the qtrs.....unbelievable.
Ya that's some bs. Not that 2 weeks off always helps unless have some injuries but the over value of cps is a problem. No idea why playoff points, sos doesnt come into play more than wins.
Are Payton and Amundson really better than Rita or Montini?

If a team really ends up with a 2 week bye to the quarterfinals, is there anything preventing that school from contacting a non-playoff school and scheduling a game on one of those weekends in an effort to avoid not playing for 3 weeks?

It’s easy to say the Rita is better than Payton. But is Benet better than Batavia? Is Prospect better than Andrew? Is Argenta-Oreana better than Kirkland Hiawatha? Glenbard East is going to be a single digit seed in a year that Marist doesn’t even make it. But there is just no better way to do it that I can think of. So taking away all subjectivity is the way to go.

Nobody follows this stuff as much as us, yet we all go 6-4 in Beat Edgy every Friday for 20 years running. In many cases, we don’t really know who is better than who.

It’s easy to say the Rita is better than Payton. But is Benet better than Batavia? Is Prospect better than Andrew? Is Argenta-Oreana better than Kirkland Hiawatha? Glenbard East is going to be a single digit seed in a year that Marist doesn’t even make it. But there is just no better way to do it that I can think of. So taking away all subjectivity is the way to go.

Nobody follows this stuff as much as us, yet we all go 6-4 in Beat Edgy every Friday for 20 years running. In many cases, we don’t really know who is better than who.
I get any given Sunday and every year is different but Payton was a number one seed last year and got drilled by evergreen park. Who 2 weeks later got drilled by Montini. I dont have the exact numbers but seems like besides couple schools cps struggles in the playoffs even higher seeded teams.
After 9 weeks there's enough dots to connect to say this 9-0 record is worse than this 6-3 record.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Find this game interesting. in 6A - #11 Lakes at #6 Riverside-Brookfield

RB has an IHSA Enrollment of 1617. RB's conference opponents have an average enrollment of 547. 34% of the RB's enrollment. i will call this the Opponent Size Factor (OPF)

Lakes has an IHSA enrollment of 1 353. Lakes conference opponents have an average enrollment of 1463. 109% of Lakes enrollment.

Something needs to be done for schools that play against there own size. Perhaps multiply Playoff points by OSF.

Many casual fans don’t realize it, but in football, you’re not technically assigned to a class like you are in other sports. Of all the 500+ football playing schools, they take the “best“ 256 into the postseason. The best is determined by wins, playoff points, and conference champions. Then the largest 32 teams in enrollment go to 8A, the next largest 32 to 7A, etc.

Some schools like Glenbard South, Antioch, Glenbard North, always seem to be right around the cut off line between classes. It’s a simple as this… If 96 schools larger than East St. Louis qualify for the playoffs, they will be in 5A. If 95 or fewer schools larger than them qualify for the playoffs, they will be 6A. As awesome as they are, it does totally swing the brackets this year. I just want to clarify that it’s not as if the IHSA is moving them.

The cookie crumbles the way it crumbles. Something as simple as a school with 4000 kids, 300 miles away losing a game they should win this weekend, and therefore knocking them out of the playoffs, can affect the Flyers playoff classification. It’s one big playoff sliced 8 ways, unlike basketball, baseball, etc where the classes don’t affect each other.

So, theoretically, ESL can IMPROVE their chances of being in 5A by rolling over to Transfer U this weekend?

The loss making their opponent playoff eligible at 5-4.

An unfortunate coincidence but further proof that this kind of power should NEVER be in the hands of teams to manipulate where they land.

Blow this f’n thing up and build something that works please. Start with no more than six classes. Many of these issues wouldn’t be issues if that were the case.

Charge more if the loss of revenue matters that much. All for the kids. My ass.

I get any given Sunday and every year is different but Payton was a number one seed last year and got drilled by evergreen park. Who 2 weeks later got drilled by Montini. I dont have the exact numbers but seems like besides couple schools cps struggles in the playoffs even higher seeded teams.
After 9 weeks there's enough dots to connect to say this 9-0 record is worse than this 6-3 record.
Subjectivity cannot be allowed to be part of the process. Private schools are a different animal than public schools. Period. All the antlers you can tie to a dog’s head won’t make any of them into reindeer...

Reactions: Fuhtbahl

YES! That is probably one of my most annoying quotes that I hear from a casual fan.......That xyz team dropped down a class before playoffs, or why are they ranked in one class but then end up incanother.....people just don't get how it works

Catch, I have been looking at this final weekend of games closely. If you look at who a lot of these 4&4 teams will be playing, statiscally a lot of them will end up at 4&5. In your opinion how low do you think this power point number could drop for 5&4 teams to get in? I am thinking it could be as low as 33!

Does Naperville Central get in with a loss to ESL at 4-5? Or only a win? If they are with a loss at 4-5 wouldn't they be lower seed then 27?

Does Naperville Central get in with a loss to ESL at 4-5? Or only a win? If they are with a loss at 4-5 wouldn't they be lower seed then 27?

TBD. This is if the playoffs started TODAY.

Too many moving parts to determine but I'd say they need a win to get in. If they are in at 4-5, they would definitely be 30, 31 or 32 on the seeding.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Curious how St Francis would be a 6 seed after beating IC..
The compilation of the brackets involves "0", zero, nada, none, zilch subjectivity. This is not the NCAA basketball tourney process.

The IHSA football teams are racked and stacked based on number of victories and then number of playoff points and other tie breakers may come into play.

There used to be a football enrollment factor. If I recall the used you average size of teams you played after removing the largest and smallest of your opponents. Can't remember how it was used.

Ok but what’s an Argenta-Oreana?

There used to be a football enrollment factor. If I recall the used you average size of teams you played after removing the largest and smallest of your opponents. Can't remember how it was used.

You are correct. Average enrollment of opponents after removing the largest and smallest. FWIW, if football enrollment was still used, both JCA and Montini would be squarely in 5A based their schedules this year. JCA's football enrollment is 1065 and Montini's is 988. Kinda goes against the theory that JCA and Montini play a 6A/7A/8A schedule and then drop down to 5A during the playoffs.

ESL's football enrollment is 2372, which would put them in 8A....interesting

Reactions: Gene K.
I didn’t include my disclaimer in this post that I begin all the “If the PLAYOFFS” posts with. So here it is below, just to clarify to the newcomers what I’m showing you with this info. I have no clue who will win the NC/ESL game. Obviously Minooka or Oswego will have a loss. That’s not what this is. Some people find this completely useless and move on. Others are looking for specific info. Others just like reading fictional brackets. It is what it is. I tried to get out this year, and they dragged me back in! LMAO.

Here is the disclaimer........

“””Every Monday(-ish), I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standings were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of that before proceeding.”””

When was the last time they had that.....I remember it vaguely

The compilation of the brackets involves "0", zero, nada, none, zilch subjectivity. This is not the NCAA basketball tourney process.

The IHSA football teams are racked and stacked based on number of victories and then number of playoff points and other tie breakers may come into play.
the only subjectivity is in the 1A thru 6A brackets in terms of where to draw geographic lines and/or quadrants if needed - it is not always clear cut. Of interest to me is if St Laurence gets win #5, will they be in the North or South?? For 7A and 8A as of a couple years ago, is now a straight 1 thru 32 seeding - you are right in that there is nada subjectivity for 7A and 8A. Current seeding sure beats the old quad system of where teams were basically playing conference foes to advance

the only subjectivity is in the 1A thru 6A brackets in terms of where to draw geographic lines and/or quadrants if needed - it is not always clear cut. Of interest to me is if St Laurence gets win #5, will they be in the North or South?? For 7A and 8A as of a couple years ago, is now a straight 1 thru 32 seeding - you are right in that there is nada subjectivity for 7A and 8A. Current seeding sure beats the old quad system of where teams were basically playing conference foes to advance
You are correct about the subjectivity of the north and south decisions.

StL will get win #5 and they will be a scary opponent for anyone in 5A.

Here is the disclaimer........

“””Every Monday(-ish), I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standings were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of that before proceeding.”””
LMAO...I'll bet you get tired of saying that over and over and over again.

Thanks for the work you do. :)

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50

WHAT HAPPENED?

OH, PROVISO!!!!

Eisenhower up to 7A.
Antioch up to 6A.
Dunlap up to 6A.
Mount Zion up to 5A.
Peo ND up to 5A.
Benton up to 4A.
Kewanee up to 4A.

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

#20 Conant at #13 Loyola

Lower Bracket