ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Week 4

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
First third of season is done, not much separation after this last week. ICE is still divided into 2 distinct groups.

Herscher (1-2) @ Reed-Custer (0-3) - RC is still fighting to get its first win of the season. If Herscher did't have the win earlier I would say this is a RC favored contest, however, Herscher has shown that it can win a game. I am not positive that RC will be a favorite to win the rest of the year. I think Herscher plays a tough game at first then opens it up later on. Herscher 35 RC 20

Lisle (0-3) @ Coal City (2-1) - Should be easy Pickens for the Coalers. I don't see this one being close. CC 49 Lisle 7

Streator (1-2) @ Manteno (3-0) - Manteno is hot right now and the town is buzzing. No worry about Peotone which is in 2 more weeks. I like Panthers to roll it up. Manteno 45 Streator 24

Peotone (3-0) @ Wilmington (3-0) - GOTW! Both teams have three big wins and have been putting up points. I don't think the 'tone can slow the Cats though. Give me Wilmo at home in a brawl. Wilmo 35 Peotone 21

Once again a pretty straight forward week. RC Herscher is the only game that I see having potential for an upset. I feel like this will be the recurring theme most weeks 1 decent game, two blowouts, and then a game that could go either way just because both teams are trying to fight their way out of last place.

My power rankings stay the same after last weeks beat downs

) Wilmington
2) Coal City
3) Manteno
4) Peotone
5) Herscher
6) Streator
7) RC
8) Lisle

Reactions: AlabamaTimberwolf
I have it the same.

Herscher over R-C. R-C still has winnable games vs Lisle and Streator, but I like the Tigers here. 27-13

Coal City over Lisle. Won’t be close as CC is looking good even with their new sophomore QB and Lisle is in free fall. 55-6.

Manteno over Streator. Streator still looking to establish an identity and Manteno trending up. 42-13

Wilmington over Peotone. I expect this to be fairly close with Wilmington pulling away. Peotone has had some impressive results so far and has played Wilmo pretty tough in the past. 28-14

RC over Herscher

CC over Lisle

Manteno over Streator

Wilmo over Peotone although i think my Devils keep it closer than most think.

Power Rankings

1. Wilmington
2. CC
3. Peotone
4. Manteno
5. RC
6. Herscher
7. Streator
8. Lisle

I see a lot of people putting Manteno ahead of Peotone. Of course I’m biased but I’ve been beyond impressed w Peotone this year. Not sure they have what it takes to beat either of the big 2 but they’ve had the Panthers number for quite a few years now. I know that game is personal every year for Coach Tolle

Reactions: doctor_d
Agree with the overall sentiment on the winners. Wilmington and Peotone will be low scoring but with the Wildcats pulling ahead late something like 21-7. I think the only other interesting game is Herscher vs RC. It seems like RC decided to not develop anyone outside that killer group from 2 years ago. Last year's team should have won more games but played sloppy at the worst times. The nose dive has been stunning. I can see this going either way but Herscher like the OP said has won a game. I think Herscher will be able to grind one out.

Not sure what has happened in Lisle, but hear they only have one level. That's Westmont territory. RC vs Lisle may be to see who gets a win and who goes 0-9. I wish the conference had a stronger bottom. Dropping 40 and having the game over at half against 3-4 of the teams doesn't help come playoff time. If Wilmington goes 2A, thats not an issue. Peotone, Manteno, and CC are other stories.

Agree with the overall sentiment on the winners. Wilmington and Peotone will be low scoring but with the Wildcats pulling ahead late something like 21-7. I think the only other interesting game is Herscher vs RC. It seems like RC decided to not develop anyone outside that killer group from 2 years ago. Last year's team should have won more games but played sloppy at the worst times. The nose dive has been stunning. I can see this going either way but Herscher like the OP said has won a game. I think Herscher will be able to grind one out.

Not sure what has happened in Lisle, but hear they only have one level. That's Westmont territory. RC vs Lisle may be to see who gets a win and who goes 0-9. I wish the conference had a stronger bottom. Dropping 40 and having the game over at half against 3-4 of the teams doesn't help come playoff time. If Wilmington goes 2A, thats not an issue. Peotone, Manteno, and CC are other stories.
R-C being unable to parlay the success they had a couple years ago is a little bit surprising.
I went to a handful of their games during that time, and the community support and the youths running around in their black and gold looked promising for their program going forward at that time.
Lisle was once a solid perennial playoff candidate, but apparently have fallen on really hard times. It’s a weird district, with the city population of about 20k, but only 400 kids in the high school. I know there is a plethora of good private school choices for kids in that area.

Coal City BIG over Lisle
Manteno BIG over Streator
Herscher BARELY over RC
GOTW - Wilmington starts fast and blows out Peotone 41-13. Cats first team D gives up one touchdown.

R-C being unable to parlay the success they had a couple years ago is a little bit surprising.
I went to a handful of their games during that time, and the community support and the youths running around in their black and gold looked promising for their program going forward at that time.
Lisle was once a solid perennial playoff candidate, but apparently have fallen on really hard times. It’s a weird district, with the city population of about 20k, but only 400 kids in the high school. I know there is a plethora of good private school choices for kids in that area.
It really is amazing how RC has been so bad for so long. Wilmo, RC, and CC are all very similar in demographics and culture, but yet RC just can't put it together on the field. I expected them to over around 6-3 or 5-4 for a few years after their "dream class" and then let their coach (who I do think is a good coach) guide the program to being respectable at least within the local area. But I feel as though they are on the fast track to being an ICE bottom feeder again.

Culture is the difference. Miller then Onsen at CC and Reents at Wilmington built winning cultures. Everybody in the community is bought in. They expect victory. They don't chase winning records and getting into the playoffs. They know they will have winning records and they know they will qualify for the playoffs. Their goals are simple. Go deep and win State. Both are cut from the same cloth. The Dan Darlington Morris Redskins.

Another week of pretty easy picks in the ICE. Sadly, this is becoming a trend in many small school conferences around the state.

Herscher @ Reed-Custer - given the opponents both these teams have played, Herscher has played the tougher schedule and has a win. Herscher 42 RC 18

Lise @ Coal City - the Lions are struggling and this one won’t be any easier than the last 2. Seneca, Wilmington, then Coal City is a tough stretch for anyone. Hopefully they see som positives as their schedule eases up. Other than Morris, Coal City has had a really soft schedule but that won’t matter here. Coal City 48 Lisle 12

Streator @ Manteno - the last time Manteno faced a prune dominant team it became a shootout. Not sure Streator has the fire power to score points that fast. Manteno hasn’t really been tested and haven’t played the toughest schedule. Manteno 36 Streator 22

Peotone @ Wilmington - finally a meaningful game and we will learn more about both of these team. Wilmington has dominated their opponents and so has Peotone. Both teams love running the ball and everybody knows what Wilmington brings to the table. Peotone is a playoff staple and always seems to play the Wildcats tough. Wilmington 31 Peotone 22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT