ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Quarterfinals

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Well we are finally to the do or die point in the playoffs where the competition is at that next level how will our ICE teams fare

Wilmo @ Byron - Some are calling this the de facto 3A title game and I sort of agree with that (another topic for another day, or maybe later today when I'm bored lol). These two are no stranger to each other in the playoffs. Hell I'd love to see these two schedule each other for a non-con series in the future. Wilmo is 3-1 against them with I think only one trip to Byron. Byron's only loss was to Stillman who played IC tough. Supposedly they were missing a few players when they played Stillman too. Wilmo's only loss was the CC. I honestly think this is a toss-up, so the Homer in me will predict Cats in a banger. Wilmo 24-21

Wheaton St. Francis @ Coal City- The Grit Tour continued last week with a big win over Kewanee and St. Francis beat GK. I will be honest in the fact that I do not know much about SF but I like that it is at CC and I do think they are the better team. Common opponent of Mac says that CC has the edge there. Another banger.....Coal City 28 St. Francis 20

Good Luck to all! Lets keep rolling

@Coalertown44 I lost our bet so I will keep this avatar until CC loses or the season is over!

Well we are finally to the do or die point in the playoffs where the competition is at that next level how will our ICE teams fare

Wilmo @ Byron - Some are calling this the de facto 3A title game and I sort of agree with that (another topic for another day, or maybe later today when I'm bored lol). These two are no stranger to each other in the playoffs. Hell I'd love to see these two schedule each other for a non-con series in the future. Wilmo is 3-1 against them with I think only one trip to Byron. Byron's only loss was to Stillman who played IC tough. Supposedly they were missing a few players when they played Stillman too. Wilmo's only loss was the CC. I honestly think this is a toss-up, so the Homer in me will predict Cats in a banger. Wilmo 24-21

Wheaton St. Francis @ Coal City- The Grit Tour continued last week with a big win over Kewanee and St. Francis beat GK. I will be honest in the fact that I do not know much about SF but I like that it is at CC and I do think they are the better team. Common opponent of Mac says that CC has the edge there. Another banger.....Coal City 28 St. Francis 20

Good Luck to all! Lets keep rolling

@Coalertown44 I lost our bet so I will keep this avatar until CC loses or the season is over!
I absolutely laughed my butt off when I saw your avatar LOL. Love it

Well both ICE teams survive and advance. Both teams pretty much controlled their second round match ups and were clearly the better teams on the field. The Quarterfinals will be a big step up in competition. Hopefully both will move on and advance

#3 Wilmington (10-1) @ #2 Byron (10-1): These two teams are no strangers as they have met up in the post season more than once. Wilmington got tested round 1 by ICE rival Lisle then handled Eureka in Round 2. Byron has had two pretty easy playoff victories over Alleman and DuPec. This game will be a slug-fest. Physical defenses and power running games. I think Wilmington QB Hopwood will be the X factor here. He is going to pull off some big pass plays and help the Cats stun the Tigers on the road. Cats 27 Tigers 21

#4 St Francis (10-1) @ #1 Coal City (11-0):
The two quarterfinal games in the North deserve to be semi final games. The best 4 teams are all in the North and unfortunately only one can make it to the dance. No disrespect to the Southern teams because I think Mac and Effingham are right behind these 4. St Francis comes in after a good win at "home' against a tough Genoa Kingston team. The Coalers put away Kewanee in the first half and coasted the rest of the way to move on. St Francis brings an up tempo offense no matter who is at QB. They have plenty of weapons and size. Defensively they have given up points during the regular season but have been on point in the playoffs. The Coalers have finally found what much of us in Coal City have been waiting for. A balanced offensive attack. Not saying they are going to throw the ball 25 times but they have been efficient passing. Coaler D hasn't let up a TD in the past three games and is playing really good. This is going to be a great game. Something here will have to give. The Coalers were here last year and lost to Richmond Burton by a filed goal with a minute left and want to get over the hump. St Francis is eyeing a trip to Dekalb and are definitely good enough to get there. I like the Coalers at home here. Their young DBs have made huge strides since the beginning of the year and have been battled. Coalers in a shootout. Coalers 37 Spartans 28

Princeton Tigers might have something to say...

I am not disrespecting Princeton at all. On paper they seem like a solid squad. I just happen to think they are a tier behind Wilmo and Byron. I could be wrong and maybe who ever plays Princeton in the Semis gets clocked.......who knows?

Like the man, the myth, the legend, Ric Flair once said, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man."

I am not disrespecting Princeton at all. On paper they seem like a solid squad. I just happen to think they are a tier behind Wilmo and Byron. I could be wrong and maybe who ever plays Princeton in the Semis gets clocked.......who knows?

Like the man, the myth, the legend, Ric Flair once said, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man."
I know nothing, just rooting for my alma mater.. My buddy thinks Byron is the team to beat..

I think the fact that the third best team in a 3A/4A conference (whose top 2 teams are eliminated) is in the 4A quarters speaks volumes about how weak the south is compared to the north.

Reactions: Coalertown44
It looks like (if I copied these right?):

3A Wilmington @ Byron 1:00

4A St Francis @ Coal City 2:00

Any word you get on Live streams (or) on NFHS please post here.

CC usually gets a stream from GAVC on youtube....it's pretty good considering high school students run it

Wilmo is on an internet radio broadcast. I'm either at the game or listen there and don't believe that I have ever known them to be on a stream.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81

The GAVC runs a stream on YouTube but they have to raise funds for it now since it is playoff games. But t hey carried the first two rounds

Grinding, grinding, grinding...

Wilmington @ Byron... the public school standards in 3A North. Probably the two best 3A/4A conferences in the north. The wings are wild, as the Wilmo double wing faces off against the Byron single wing. Tigers went to the title game last year, lost a heartbreaker at home the year before to IC in the semis. They lost week 2 to Stillman Valley 18-16, thumped Genoa-Kingston week 8 42-13. Cats were caged by CC week 8, dominated a 5A playoff team non-con, destroyed a bad 7A team on the road. There are no secrets here. Power run til the wheels fall off. The Cats, however, need to show up early. The seemingly flat first quarters against Lisle and Eureka will bury them here. But they can't be all jacked up and commit a bunch of penalties, either. This team seems destined for something big, though, and Hopwood's arm might just be the ticket. I pick Wilmington 28-21...

and in the other 3A North quarter, I predict Princeton is going to dismantle Paxton by 21...

Wheaton St. Francis @ Coal City... the meatgrinder... common opponent in Bishop McNamara, who the Spartans beat in the last 30 seconds @ Mac 46-43, while the Coalers sealed the deal with a Jezik long td run late in a 34-20 win at home. Spartans should get their QB back. CC's defense is salty, though...clamped down on Manteno's high powered spread attack. Jezik is a man among boys...2A wrestling state champ at 182 as a junior. His ability to spin out of tackles and power for the extra yard forces the defense to focus on him, opening the door for Hutchings play action passes. Cold and windy expected. CC 35-21...

and in the other 4A North meatgrinder, RB over IC 28-21.

After some thought...Wilmington by 2 points...Princeton by 20 ...Coal City by 10...and Richmond by 20...and Mac in a squeaker...by 3...

After some thought...Wilmington by 2 points...Princeton by 20 ...Coal City by 10...and Richmond by 20...and Mac in a squeaker...by 3...

I think PBL is way overmatched.......I hope you are right about RB because I don't want to have to go to IC to watch CC play......assuming that they are at different a time than Wilmo

Last edited:
I think RB might be the best team in 4A now that Rochester is gone.( that being said Marengo and QND are the only decent teams they have played) Really interested in this weekends game with IC. Being at RB will be a big advantage for the Rockets. I pick RB by 7, BMac by 20, Effingham by 10. 3A Princeton to 21, Mater Dei by 14 and Williamsville by 20

I think PBL is way overmatched.......I hope you are right about RB because I don't want to have to go to IC to watch CC play......assuming that they are at different times than Wilmo

PBL got the benefit of playing a CPL team round 1 and another 3A team in a 2A conference, Farmington, round 2. They got hammered by Clifton Central and GCMS, 2A powerhouses. Either Paxton or Farmington would be wrecked in this game...

And what have I long said is IC's nemesis...grass fields.

Tough games for CC and Wilmington.

I think CC has enough to get it done. CC will survive- guessing a 35-28 type game.

Wilmington beating Byron at their place will be a tall order. Agree with PanWild that getting off to a slow start could be doom. Gonna take a pretty clean game to pull out a W.

Was with a friend who made the comment “there is no way he’ll be ready to go next week just by looking at him” in regards to Rittenhouse. He still was treating that left arm gingerly on the sidelines last week. We were just watching him move equipment around etc. and he wasn’t using it at all. I think he’s 1000% out this week, which is disappointing if you’re SF given the initial prognosis a few weeks back.

Last edited:
And being conservative with the young man in regards to his health is the right move. The kid is a division 1 prospect with interest from Iowa State, Miami Ohio and Illinois State. Obviously this game Saturday is very important, but in the grander scheme of things this offseason is huge for him to continue to drum up interest / offers and God forbid if anything happened on Saturday that set him back even a few more months in that.

Being conservative is the right move.

Reactions: Gene K.
Nice avatar pic of the former Wilmington varsity hoops coach.

Who Huntchings? Did not know that. Luckily for CC he has been leading their football team to better success than Wilmington basketball has typically been known for.

**After looking at their records, I think you are mistaking him for Ken Miller.**

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Who Huntchings? Did not know that. Luckily for CC he has been leading their football team to better success than Wilmington basketball has typically been known for.

**After looking at their records, I think you are mistaking him for Ken Miller.**
He was a Wilmo basketball coach when he first go tin to teaching I believe

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
He was never listed as the head coach according to IHSA records. Also, man is WHS basketball pathetic lol
We get a good hoops team about once every ten years lol. In CC and Wilmo its hard to compete with wrestling in the Winter

Sidenote Coalertown44...any good pre-game food spots in CC or the surrounding area I should look into for Saturday?

Sidenote Coalertown44...any good pre-game food spots in CC or the surrounding area I should look into for Saturday?
Babes is always a solid choice but Mustachios is close and has great bar food. Do not go to Wilmington unless you want salmonella poisoning :cool:

Reactions: Nit92
Babes is always a solid choice but Mustachios is close and has great bar food. Do not go to Wilmington unless you want salmonella poisoning :cool:

I don't know about salmonella, but I would put Hayden's or Nelly's up against any restaurants in the area. Nelly's also opened their own brewery if you are into that scene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT