ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Playoff round 2 Predictions and reactions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
3 ICE schools remain. We knew one of 5 had to be eliminated due to inter-ICE matchup in round 1. Here are the predictions and any updates on my thoughts moving forward.

3A

8 Lisle @ 1 Byron - Byron is a proven power and they look to be in traditional form again. The cold, wet weather lends to their power play and being on a grass field away from Benedictine does not help the Lions here. Tigers are the new king of this jungle. Lisle is the next ICE team to fall out. Byron 35 Lisle 14

PS tried to find the video of their O-Line pulling up in the hog trailer......any team that does that is guaranteed a 14 point advantage over their opponents.....its science

5 Chicago Clark @ 4 Braidwood - Bit of a surprise here with Clark beating Elmwood. I never put much faith in those central IL schools though. Just had less faith in the CPS. Anyway Clark must be decent, but decent won't beat RC. If RC can throw it watch out Clark. RC 45 Clark 6

2A

1 Wilmington @ 9 Sterling Newman - GOTW (kinda easy to pick when there is only 3 total games)! Sterling is not an easy win any given year. Especially with the cats on the road. I cannot pick against my cats here in a toss-up game. If they lose I would not be surprised but for the sake of home cookin' I will say that the cats roll again on the ground. Slugfest. Wilmo 21 Sterling 19

Good luck to All ICE teams. Could be just 1 standing in all reality.

3 ICE schools remain. We knew one of 5 had to be eliminated due to inter-ICE matchup in round 1. Here are the predictions and any updates on my thoughts moving forward.

3A

8 Lisle @ 1 Byron - Byron is a proven power and they look to be in traditional form again. The cold, wet weather lends to their power play and being on a grass field away from Benedictine does not help the Lions here. Tigers are the new king of this jungle. Lisle is the next ICE team to fall out. Byron 35 Lisle 14

PS tried to find the video of their O-Line pulling up in the hog trailer......any team that does that is guaranteed a 14 point advantage over their opponents.....its science

5 Chicago Clark @ 4 Braidwood - Bit of a surprise here with Clark beating Elmwood. I never put much faith in those central IL schools though. Just had less faith in the CPS. Anyway Clark must be decent, but decent won't beat RC. If RC can throw it watch out Clark. RC 45 Clark 6

2A

1 Wilmington @ 9 Sterling Newman - GOTW (kinda easy to pick when there is only 3 total games)! Sterling is not an easy win any given year. Especially with the cats on the road. I cannot pick against my cats here in a toss-up game. If they lose I would not be surprised but for the sake of home cookin' I will say that the cats roll again on the ground. Slugfest. Wilmo 21 Sterling 19

Good luck to All ICE teams. Could be just 1 standing in all reality.
LMAO!!!

Harley-Davidson’s and fire trucks have gone against Hog Trailers a few times. I think the Harleys have a slight edge H2H.

Byron 42, Lisle 7
I think Lisle has been in this position before and this is the usual result.

Reed-Custer 34, Clark 12
R-C must be disappointed that Clark won round 1. R-C would have been set up for home games the rest of the way. At any rate, the RC Comets move on.

Wilmo 20, Newman 14
Both teams do the same things well. Wilmo offense has steadily improved, and that combined with the solid kicking game will advance them to the quarterfinals.

Reactions: Coach Percy
Harley-Davidson’s and fire trucks have gone against Hog Trailers a few times. I think the Harleys have a slight edge H2H.

Byron 42, Lisle 7
I think Lisle has been in this position before and this is the usual result.

Reed-Custer 34, Clark 12
R-C must be disappointed that Clark won round 1. R-C would have been set up for home games the rest of the way. At any rate, the RC Comets move on.

Wilmo 20, Newman 14
Both teams do the same things well. Wilmo offense has steadily improved, and that combined with the solid kicking game will advance them to the quarterfinals.
3-2 so far against Byron. But I do know they beat us at home once. I'm not sure if we have beat them at their place I don't believe so. Now the question is could those harleys pull the hog trailer?

**EDIT**
We did beat them at their place first round one year. '12.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d
Chicago Clark @ Braidwood. Braidwood controlled the game against Peotone and Clark got past a bad Elmwood team. Comets win this one but I see Clark making a game of it. Braidwood 27 Clark 13

Lisle @ Byron. Lisle picked up a nice round one win. Byron is just Byron every year. Byron big. Byron 34 Lisle 6

Wilmo @ Sterling Newman. I guess this is where we see how good the ICE was this year. Wilmo beat a cupcake in round one, Newman beat a decent Mercer County team. Hearing this game is at Sterling High School so and I believe that is a turf field. This is really is a toss up, but I will stick with the Cats. Wilmo 20 SNC 14

3-2 so far against Byron. But I do know they beat us at home once. I'm not sure if we have beat them at their place I don't believe so. Now the question is could those harleys pull the hog trailer?
No doubt. It would be like some kind of alternative Iditarod.
I agree, Wilmo is 3-2 vs Byron and surprisingly only one of the games was close.
2012 Wilm 31, @ Byron 14
2014 @ Wilm 46, Byron 13
2015 Byron 42, @ Wilm 35
2016 @ Wilm 38, Byron 18
2019 @ Byron 32, Wilm 0

Last edited:
No doubt. It would be like reverse Iditarod.
I agree, Wilmo is 3-2 vs Byron and surprisingly only one of the games was close.
2012 Wilm 31, @ Byron 14
2014 @ Wilm 46, Byron 13
2015 Byron 42, @ Wilm 35
2016 @ Wilm 38, Byron 18
2019 @ Byron 32, Wilm 0
We all know the most important one......Semifinals at home '14.

Reactions: doctor_d
Newman
220px-Newman_Seinfeld.jpg

Last edited:
Lisle @ Byron- Byron takes care of business and sends Lisle packing. Byron's run game controls the clock and the games ends with a score of 28-7 in a game that was never close.

Clark @ RC- Comets roll in this one. The only question is can they get that field back in shape in time for the game. Friday night that thing looked terrible by the end of the game. I got the Comets 42 Clark 7.

Wilmington @ Newman- Going to be a tough test for the Wildcats but this is not your normal Newman team. The did get a RB back and have been rolling since his return but I think it stops here as the Cats roll into town and leave with a W. I got the Wilmington kicker being the difference. Cats 31 Newman 28

Lisle @ Byron: Lions aren't as good on grass, and Byron's field gets pretty chewed up by this time of year. Its a battle of a pair of power run teams, both who can run some clock when necessary. But the Lions have been beat by their power running foes in conference, and I don't see any change here...Byron 35-14.

Chicago Clark @ Reed-Custer: Over the years I keep watching Wilmington control the game against Elmwood-Brimfield and Farmington, conference mates, in the playoffs. Despite that, EB losing to Clark was a surprise - maybe the trip to the big city was too much for EB. Comets controlled Peotone as expected. This said, I don't give Clark a whole lot of chance in Cometland...Comets tied the school record for wins with 9 Week 1, and should break the record this weekend fairly easily...Comets 42-14.

Wilmington @ Sterling Newman: old foes resume the playoff wars. Wilmo and Newman are, I believe, 1-1 against each other in the 3A playoffs. But Newman is the 2A monster...defending 2019 2A state champs, but 6-3 on the season. Wilmo is Wilmo,..25 straight playoffs, 21st conference title of Reents career. In 2015, the Cats overlooked Byron in looking ahead to the possible quarters with McNamara, and we might have to fear a little of that this week. But I think Reents probably has the Catholic trail to the state title laid out - Newman, Mac, eventually St. Theresa...can't get too worried about the next one til they are past the first...I think the Cats keep the level head, like against Reed-Custer...21-14 Cats.

Out of the three ICE teams remaining, when was the last time R-C had the best chance of advancing?When was the last time the Comets made it to the quarter finals? Won 10 games in one season? When everyone goes to bed on Saturday night, the Comets could very well be the last ICE team standing! However, football games are won on the field, not paper, and I'm saying there will be TWO.

Byron comes out swinging and does the Mike Tyson knocking out the Lions in the first half.
Byron 41 Lisle 6.

The Comets have too many weapons and overcome their coaching staff's playoff inexperience at home. R-C 38 Clark 20.

Speaking of coaching staff's, the Cats have one of the best in 2A and their kicking game is the difference on the road. Wilmington 17 Newman 14.

One thing confuses me a bit this week. Newman won the 2A title in 2019. Winning the title gives them 5 wins, which is enough for them to keep the multiplier despite not having playoffs last year. But what happened to the success factor?

And I assume that losing to Wilmington will result in Newman losing their multiplier next year- or losing next week if they beat the Wildcats...1A might actually be complaining then...

Out of the three ICE teams remaining, when was the last time R-C had the best chance of advancing?When was the last time the Comets made it to the quarter finals? Won 10 games in one season? When everyone goes to bed on Saturday night, the Comets could very well be the last ICE team standing! However, football games are won on the field, not paper, and I'm saying there will be TWO.

Byron comes out swinging and does the Mike Tyson knocking out the Lions in the first half.
Byron 41 Lisle 6.

The Comets have too many weapons and overcome their coaching staff's playoff inexperience at home. R-C 38 Clark 20.

Speaking of coaching staff's, the Cats have one of the best in 2A and their kicking game is the difference on the road. Wilmington 17 Newman 14.
Clark is big, can run the ball. I think the Comets are already preparing for Byron. I don't think Clark will win but I think they have a chance to keep it competitive for a while

One thing confuses me a bit this week. Newman won the 2A title in 2019. Winning the title gives them 5 wins, which is enough for them to keep the multiplier despite not having playoffs last year. But what happened to the success factor?

And I assume that losing to Wilmington will result in Newman losing their multiplier next year- or losing next week if they beat the Wildcats...1A might actually be complaining then...
Multiplier will not be lost ever or as the rules are written currently. Success Factor added would stay out each two year cycle that a program does not make the semifinals.

Actually, it’d be a great but long post to see how the classifications have changed over the years from enrollment to football enrollment (average of your regular season opponents’ enrollment), multiplier, to success factor and whose programs were the ones aimed at for these changes (which would be purely speculative since they’d never document something like that). It’s an interesting history.

Edit: darn, you’re right. Forgot about the waiver. Ugh. Disregard

Last edited:
Lisle @ Byron - A true battle of the big cats. The Lions have some athletes on the field and some players have returned from injuries or other issues. They have the speed needed to win games such as this but history is not on their side. Byron is not the vaunted team they were in 18 and 19 but they are a well coached team that plays with precision in the Wing T and play disciplined football. The Tigers win by running and controlling the clock. Tigers 38 Lions 13

Wilmington @ Newman Catholic - the first of the Cats vs the Privates as they travel to take on one of the best small school programs in the state. The Comets are the 2A defending champs and the Cats are coming in as the #1 seed and one of the favorites in the north bracket. This is the type of game that we need in the playoffs. No clear favorite, both teams have a very storied history, both coaching staffs will have their teams prepared fo a battle. If the Cats can slow down the Newman backs they should roll but that is no easy task. Cats win in a nail biter 24-20.

Clark @ Reed-Custer - in the most anticipated game to be thoroughly enjoyed that we have seen in this millennium is almost upon us. The Clark coach is trying to get fans to the game and the Comets seemed to take that personally on social media, not sure why. If you are the favorite, as RC is, just leave it be and don’t get caught up in in social media fodder. Clark does have a shot in this game due to their size, speed, and athleticism. RC looked a bit banged up against Peotone or maybe it was just the weather. This will be a thoroughly enjoyable game on both sides and may be a tad closer than some expect. Comets win in a shootout 42 - 31

Wilmington just scored again before half, running clock unless something happens last 37 seconds. I don't know how many rushing yards they have, but it's a ton.
Edit: Broadcasters said 421 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiliconcarne
Final 42-7, Newman got a scoop and score with about 3 minutes left.

Wilmington will roll Mac just as bad next week
I’m not exactly sure about that. Not that bold.
Wilmington executed near flawlessly in the first half, and Newman was missing some key players.
Ive never before seen a QB sneak on 3rd and inches go for a 70+ yard TD.

Decided to catch the RC game before work today. Clark looked the part but that was about the end of it. RC looked the part and played the part. However, something should be done about the Comet fans. Some of the comments from the crowd should never be said for any reason whatsoever. Great showing by the players, pathetic showing by fans and parents.

Great job Cats and Comets. Great to see 2 conference teams in the Quarterfinals. Both will have tough games ahead of them with Bishop Mac and Byron. Good luck to both teams next week.

Reactions: chiliconcarne
Decided to catch the RC game before work today. Clark looked the part but that was about the end of it. RC looked the part and played the part. However, something should be done about the Comet fans. Some of the comments from the crowd should never be said for any reason whatsoever. Great showing by the players, pathetic showing by fans and parents.
Care to elaborate? Trash talking because of the lopsided score? Something worse?
I will say that it seems like their whole community has been swept up by their success this year. First time they’ve made it past round 2. I can imagine there’s some over exuberance going on.

Care to elaborate? Trash talking because of the lopsided score? Something worse?
I will say that it seems like their whole community has been swept up by their success this year. First time they’ve made it past round 2. I can imagine there’s some over exuberance going on.
I’m going to guess it was worse than trash talking about the score. But I also would like more details.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT