ADVERTISEMENT

How many innings for the first start?

Redhawks fan

Feb 22, 2010
Is it just me or should a high school coach be able to pitch a kid 5 plus innings 2 months after surgury for his first start on March 31st? This is what Waubonsie did yesterday with their best pitcher Chris Singh. He was not even allowed to play a game until yesterday and there he was going out to pitch the bottom of the sixth after starting the game. That's crazy, and the Waubonsie parents I talked to could not agree with me more. The coach was very quick to defend himself in the paper, but he should be strung up by his thumbs.

Contrast that to what Seiple of Naperville Central did, pulling his good pitcher after only four innings to protect his arm and give some other kids a chance to pitch early in the season. Hats off to him!

That truly is the question...Pitch count, not innings. A 15 to 18 year old shouldn't be throwing more than 100 pitches per game.

I would also ask how much has he thrown during the winter? It is the pitch count you want, not the innings pitched.

It was hip surgery, and he threw about 80 pitches. Still too many for my money, but I'm not the coach.

I think maybe the kid, his parents and their doctor make that call. Not people in the stands or on a forum.

I agree with alot of posters, pitch count is the key.

Hip surgery has nothing to do with the arm, but obviously it does factor into pitching when getting leverage on the mound, etc. so i'm not as concerned as others might be. All pitchers are different, but for your first start of the season in Chicagoland (weather may not allow for you to throw outside until that actual first start) I think a low pitch count is a must. 80+ pitches the first time you toe the slab for a HS kid is a little outrageous in my opinion.

Hope the kid doesn't get reinjured from overuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT