ADVERTISEMENT

How good is SHG?

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
Based on the way they are handling Providence tonight as well as their results all season, you would have to believe they are one of the top teams in the state, regardless of class. PC played both LA and Rita tougher than they are playing SHG.

Based on the way they are handling Providence tonight as well as their results all season, you would have to believe they are one of the top teams in the state, regardless of class. PC played both LA and Rita tougher than they are playing SHG.
I think it’s a combination of a number of things. Namely SHG winning this own for coach. PC is good but not in the league with shg.

I think SHG with their offense can compete with anyone. Their defense? Not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: net-se and USD24
I saw the Provi-Saint Rita game on the U. SHG would hang with the Mustangs. Much more explosive and balanced offense. Defense is ok. Kickers are probably a toss up but both special.

Reactions: net-se
I think it’s a combination of a number of things. Namely SHG winning this own for coach. PC is good but not in the league with shg.

I think SHG with their offense can compete with anyone. Their defense? Not so much.
Outside of Rochester (led by one of the best offensive coaches in IHSA who happens to know SHG like the back of his hand), this SHG defense has been pretty stout. They’re certainly not as large or dominant as years past, but I’ve been impressed with how they’ve handled Provi run today.

I saw the Provi-Saint Rita game on the U. SHG would hang with the Mustangs. Much more explosive and balanced offense. Defense is ok. Kickers are probably a toss up but both special.
Well, his sons, Rochester rockets annihilated Saint Rita in 2019.

Think you hit the nail on the head, likely one of the top teams regardless of class. While I don’t think tonight was a particularly spectacular showing for SHG (partly due to a good providence team), this is one of the best WR cores I’ve seen in a long time. Jack Western, who made a fantastic catch in the first quarter, is arguably WR5 on this team. While the knock on this team will always be their lack of size on either side, they have such a special group of playmakers with speed. Happy they got to bounce back after a rough showing last year.

This game also calls into question attempts to compare two teams without common opponents based on supposed strength of schedule and snapshot discussions based on one or two bad quarters in a game otherwise won by that team. A quarter against Jacksonville, two vs Waterloo and one against a Rochester (which BTW was arguably the second team in the class based on on the field play) and immediately all the self appointed experts were basically saying SHG was a paper tiger).

Reactions: net-se and cigaros
What does that have to do with a game 3 years later?
Lemme guess, St. Rita has a QB with a monster arm and just relies on the running game to keep the DBs honest? Or are they like they are nearly every year with a running back who piles up yards and a QB who keeps the defensive from going 8 in the box all of the time? Don't worry, I already know the answer.... SMH

Lemme guess, St. Rita has a QB with a monster arm and just relies on the running game to keep the DBs honest? Or are they like they are nearly every year with a running back who piles up yards and a QB who keeps the defensive from going 8 in the box all of the time? Don't worry, I already know the answer.... SMH
I don’t even know what this means?

• Haha
Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
This game also calls into question attempts to compare two teams without common opponents based on supposed strength of schedule and snapshot discussions based on one or two bad quarters in a game otherwise won by that team. A quarter against Jacksonville, two vs Waterloo and one against a Rochester (which BTW was arguably the second team in the class based on on the field play) and immediately all the self appointed experts were basically saying SHG was a paper tiger).
I really like this take. As an SHG fan I knew how talented this team was and it was extremely frustrating to see some people (justifiably) write them off a little bit. Happy they showcased their talent tonight.

Think you hit the nail on the head, likely one of the top teams regardless of class. While I don’t think tonight was a particularly spectacular showing for SHG (partly due to a good providence team), this is one of the best WR cores I’ve seen in a long time. Jack Western, who made a fantastic catch in the first quarter, is arguably WR5 on this team. While the knock on this team will always be their lack of size on either side, they have such a special group of playmakers with speed. Happy they got to bounce back after a rough showing last year.
I watched their game tonight and another earlier this year and the receivers absolutely impressed both games. QB is very good but man, to be that deep at WR in 4A is pretty nuts.

Reactions: Autumnball
I watched their game tonight and another earlier this year and the receivers absolutely impressed both games. QB is very good but man, to be that deep at WR in 4A is pretty nuts.
That was my point two days ago. Many teams run the spread, and especially the five wide spread that SHG runs. But for most of those teams, even with five receivers out, no more than one or at most two are serious receiving threats trusted to get open and catch the ball if t htown to them. The rest might occasionally catch a pass but are really more decoy than threat. With this year's Cyclones, every receiver is a legitimate threat on every pass play.

A couple of weeks ago I asked Edgy how he would rank SHG and East St. Louis if they were included in his Chicagoland top 30. He said for ESL probably in top 5 for SHG somewhere from 10-15..

A season ending DSR
Only an end of season DSR can determine this. Lots to be decided today.

Reactions: RockSoup and eireog
IDK. Loyola gave up more points to PC than SHG did.
Shg would compete but they would get worn down in 2nd half because lack of depth. If you watched pc this year that happened in there losses to rita and loyola. She has much more explosive weapons on offense tho. So it would be fun to see

I don’t even know what this means?
And that will be the secret we keep downstate. The Leonards have 14 championship trophies to stare at, more than any household in the state. Tell me why I knew before looking it up that the St. Rita team in 2019 is the same statistically as the team this year.

2013- 3600 yards rushing, 1400 yards passing (72% rush)
2014- 2300 yards rushing, 1200 yards passing (65% rush)
2015- 2100 yards rushing, 1000 yards passing (67% rush)
2016- 2700 yards rushing, 1400 yards passing (65% rush)
2017- 2700 yards rushing, 1400 yards passing (65% rush)
2018- ANOMOLY- 1900 yards rushing, 1600 passing. AN ACTUAL BALANCED OFFENSE (54% rush)
2019- 2800 yards rushing, 1100 passing (71% rush)
2021- 2800 yards rushing, 1600 passing (63% rush)
2022- 2800 yards rushing, 600 passing (82% rush)

This isn't difficult.

Reactions: Gene K.
IDK. Loyola gave up more points to PC than SHG did.
This was right in line with PC's other losing efforts in terms of points allowed by their opponent. SHG 's DBs are one of their strongest points as shown.by two INTs and the general ineffectiveness of PC passing. SHG's most obvious defensive problem is size but this game also demonstrated the old belief that quickness and speed will often triumph over physical bulk

A couple of weeks ago I asked Edgy how he would rank SHG and East St. Louis if they were included in his Chicagoland top 30. He said for ESL probably in top 5 for SHG somewhere from 10-15..
After watching the dismantling of Providence and the utter destruction of PR, I"d say both are several places too low

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT