ADVERTISEMENT

Help me understand how an 8A team(3200 students)hasn't won a playoff game is since 2003?

evanston1

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2017
Mind boggling that this can occur? How does it happen? What has to go wrong? How do you turn a program around like this? When is mediocre acceptable?

Interesting question. I've always kept an eye on Evanston because of the Burzawa hire. He won 4 straight titles at Driscoll but the success at Evanston has not really come to fruition. There is a lot of talent at Evanston but they just can't seem to turn the corner. This is one of those interesting examples that brings to mind the question of Talent and recruiting vs great coaching. Everyone thought he was a great coach at Driscoll...What's happened to his coaching ability?

Reactions: Cross Bones
Have you been to Evanston?
Ask kids to show up to practice three consecutive days and you'll have parents demanding your ouster.

Parents can demand all they want. Better be a practice if you want to play!

Not real familiar with Evanston, but always thought the school had similar demographics to OPRF.. Is that the case? From the outside looking in, it seems like they should be more successful

Not real familiar with Evanston, but always thought the school had similar demographics to OPRF.. Is that the case? From the outside looking in, it seems like they should be more successful
I don't think that's the case. I think OPRF has a much more football friendly situation right now than Evanston.

Lockport hasn't been very good in years either and their enrollment is upwards of 3800.

East Aurora worst of all. Hope they turn the corner with the new state of the art facilities that just went in. Heard the new turf and stadium is beautiful but have not driven across town yet to see for myself.

People calling out Burzawa’s coaching ability? Lmao I’ve seen it all. Grass is always greener eh?

Just because you have 3000+ kids in your school doesn't mean you have football players there. There also needs to be buy in into the football program by the administration and the parents. If neither of them care about the football program then they aren't going to push it and aren't going to hire good coaching to help facilitate a good team.

Reactions: USD24 and Hillini74
Just because you have 3000+ kids in your school doesn't mean you have football players there. There also needs to be buy in into the football program by the administration and the parents. If neither of them care about the football program then they aren't going to push it and aren't going to hire good coaching to help facilitate a good team.
So......14 yrs w/o a playoff win is,ok? Evanston doesn't have enough talent or hasn't had enough to at least win a playoff game? C'mon man?!
I don't think it's,a lack of talent. But a problem does exist. That 58-7 shellacking didn't exactly help the football culture at the school. The announcers on the cube were brutal yet honest about what they observed.

Demographics (racial, ethnical, cultural) play a big roll, along with coaching (obviously), tradition, and economics.

So......14 yrs w/o a playoff win is,ok? Evanston doesn't have enough talent or hasn't had enough to at least win a playoff game? C'mon man?!
I don't think it's,a lack of talent. But a problem does exist. That 58-7 shellacking didn't exactly help the football culture at the school. The announcers on the cube were brutal yet honest about what they observed.

I think the 56-14 and 58-7 are simply a lack of belief in their ability to compete with/beat Maine South. Palatine played Evanston during the regular season and even though the Pirates won comfortably, I thought Evanston was a pretty good team and they definitely fought until the final whistle.

I didn't see either Maine South contest, but it sounds like they did not have the same competitive spirit in those games...like they're psyched out and expect to lose.

I believe that it comes down to the feeder programs. Developing a player in a few short seasons is tough. Get a kid going at an early age that enters HS with good fundamentals is paramount in todays HS football football. The kids are playing faster smarter with more talent than I saw in the late 80's and 90's.

But we have 2 reputable feeder programs that feed into our high school. The current jr/soph class were both undefeated as 8th graders. The current jr class was 18-1, on freshman A/B. Only loss was MS.
Soph year they were 6-3, and within a bad flag call from 7-2. Losses were to LWE,Barrington & MS. We have some talent in the cupboard.

Reactions: Gene K.
The work rate of kids take over between fresh/soph
Years and the varsity days begin. Their weight program is well run, some kids lack the drive and push to excel. I know a lot of people have all the answers for a high school team, coach for a year in a hs program and see how it goes. Buzz is a rock solid coach and a great leader. Pick up a whistle for a couple years, you will quickly find out it isn't as easy as you think.

Soph yteam actually won conference this year, so next year should be prime opportunity to get over the hump.

Soph yteam actually won conference this year, so next year should be prime opportunity to get over the hump.

There is a team in the south suburbs this year who had a great sophomore team last season. Only a handful of those kids made it to varsity due to grades, transfers, discipline, interest etc. The result was yet another terrible varsity team at that school.

I believe that it comes down to the feeder programs. Developing a player in a few short seasons is tough. Get a kid going at an early age that enters HS with good fundamentals is paramount in todays HS football football. The kids are playing faster smarter with more talent than I saw in the late 80's and 90's.
As much as it pains me to say it (not a CG Fan)...you are spot on. Cary...PR...Warren...Lake Zurich...BG...ect....all have incredibly strong and well coached youth programs that play in probably the most competitive Youth League anywhere. This is a correlation and indicator for the future of High School FB programs. I can't wait to see Cary vs Nap Central next year...that some game will show a lot of what I'm posting. Naperville has no good Youth FB Programs anymore. Keep this post reply for 2018...

Reactions: CG Fan
BTW....i don't think Angry Dave was even close to being this harsh....i guess this board is about who knows who...lets not offend the wrong people otherwise you will be flushed. I'm a straight forward guy...so is (from what I read) the guy named Angry Dave...Tim...he's an oldtimer...send him an email and invite him back. I also think he's a Vet...

Lack of competition for kids is more important than strong feeder programs.

Reactions: Cmon Now and USD24
If you placed Cary Grove and their feeder in Orland Park, a minimum of half of their players would be at STL, Marist,MC,PC,Rita,Rice etc.
You have no clue What you are talking about....how do you take the entire Cary Program and put them somewhere else? You are actually proving my point.

Who has a top feeder on each side of our metro area? And who has made it transition to the high school level.

You have no clue What you are talking about....how do you take the entire Cary Program and put them somewhere else? You are actually proving my point.

You need to take a deep breath and be nicer.

mc140 is talking about competition among public and private schools for the players coming out of those strong feeder programs. Communities like Lake Zurich, Cary, etc. do not have many (or any) private schools in the area. Therefore, the public schools serving those areas enroll almost all of the kids coming out of their feeder programs. Orland Park may well have a strong feeder program, but, with so many private schools (mc140 named six) enrolling kids from Orland Park, Sandburg (the public school that serves that area) enrolls maybe 50% of the kids from their feeder program and private schools enroll the other half.

Get it?

Now, say you are sorry to mc140 for being so mean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT