ADVERTISEMENT

HC beats GBW

bgoss6474

Aug 14, 2011
31-30 final, OT.

Edit: GBW went for the win on a 2 pt conversion and didn't make it.

Nice win for HC. Strengthens there rep and builds confidence.

Poor coaching decision. No reason to go for 2 there unless you think the other team is better. Loser mentality

Why? Play defense. Hetlett has cost this school at least 2 state championships with his stubbornness and undisciplined play. Kick the extra point, score and defend. Or don't blow a 14 point lead

Why? Play defense. Hetlett has cost this school at least 2 state championships with his stubbornness and undisciplined play. Kick the extra point, score and defend. Or don't blow a 14 point lead
This is ridiculous. The guy has taken a program that was mediocre for a long stretch and had then in the semis damn near every year in the last decade. He hasn't cost anyone anything. I really hope some joke went over my head with this statement.

Reactions: USD24 and illini14
Look at the lake Zurich and Stevenson semifinals. Had several easy field goals that he passed up and it cost them. Also see how many penalties his teams have. They have had several teams with a lot of talent that his has choked with. This years team is not a great team but was winning by 14 and gave it up. The hitters have always relied on defense so why not kick and put your best unit out there?
Also they were a dominant teams from the. 70s-mid 90s. Look at the titles listed on the scoreboard. He got the, back to where they were. Recently they have had amazing talent (multiple high D1players) but underachieved in my opinion. This year they have less top level talent but still no reason to go for 2 out if desperation.

Look at the lake Zurich and Stevenson semifinals. Had several easy field goals that he passed up and it cost them. Also see how many penalties his teams have. They have had several teams with a lot of talent that his has choked with. This years team is not a great team but was winning by 14 and gave it up. The hitters have always relied on defense so why not kick and put your best unit out there?
Also they were a dominant teams from the. 70s-mid 90s. Look at the titles listed on the scoreboard. He got the, back to where they were. Recently they have had amazing talent (multiple high D1players) but underachieved in my opinion. This year they have less top level talent but still no reason to go for 2 out if desperation.

So dominant that they only won one state title in all of those years, and went 7 years without making the playoffs in the mid to late 90s. He's taken them to prominence and then some.
I watched all of those lake Zurich playoff battles and the Stevenson game. Going 2-2 against those lake Zurich teams and barely losing to that Stevenson team is no small feat. Hetlett is one of the best around. Not many coaches I would take ahead of him.

Reactions: bhmarcus and eireog
I didn't see the game, but I'm going to just take a guess that the coach that has helped to build GW into one of the best teams in the state didn't miss any tackles or didn't drop a ball or throw a pass to the wrong place or even set foot on the field during this game.
HC is a really good team and GW is also obviously a really good team so now you are going to break bad on the coaching staff?
I would think almost every school in the state would be happy as all hell to have enjoyed the success that GW has experienced reciently.

I didn't see the game, but I'm going to just take a guess that the coach that has helped to build GW into one of the best teams in the state didn't miss any tackles or didn't drop a ball or throw a pass to the wrong place or even set foot on the field during this game.
HC is a really good team and GW is also obviously a really good team so now you are going to break bad on the coaching staff?
I would think almost every school in the state would be happy as all hell to have enjoyed the success that GW has experienced reciently.

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop07.gif

Silver helmet the Hitter Nation thanks you for your support !! God Bless you for sharing your true feelings. I'm more than happy to take heat for a high school football loss and always will. My players have fought with everything they have like they do every week and have for the last ten years! Love my players and we will fight on ! If you feel another coach would be better to lead this team then why don't you step up and do it ??? As for me I will continue to thank God for everyday he blesses me and my family with. Have a blessed day ! Go Hitters!

Wild Mustang,

Here's the real Mic drop!

Silver helmet the Hitter Nation thanks you for your support !! God Bless you for sharing your true feelings. I'm more than happy to take heat for a high school football loss and always will. My players have fought with everything they have like they do every week and have for the last ten years! Love my players and we will fight on ! If you feel another coach would be better to lead this team then why don't you step up and do it ??? As for me I will continue to thank God for everyday he blesses me and my family with. Have a blessed day ! Go Hitters!

Reactions: eagles2k3
Imo, coach H is THE best defensive coach in illinois. I'm amazed how well every single season his players do, as a unit and a team.

I'd kick the point with that d, but the 3 yard line might have been as close as that offense was to get.

With a program like gw, you make a decision, accept the consequences, then prepare for next week.

Imo, coach H is THE best defensive coach in illinois. I'm amazed how well every single season his players do, as a unit and a team.

I'd kick the point with that d, but the 3 yard line might have been as close as that offense was to get.

With a program like gw, you make a decision, accept the consequences, then prepare for next week.
I would put Proffit from LZ right with him. His talent has been down recently but he gets those kids to play so fast. Its really awesome to watch. Strange that both run the same defense...

My take on the situation. If the 2 pt conversion had worked he would have been the greatest coach ever he went with his gut feeling and it didn't work case close move on. I might have done the same depending on the flow of the game. Execution if the guys execute the blocking play works.

You know you are talking some crap when Big C 80 comes out and slaps you down!

I was writing my post before I noticed Big C step in (and knowing he doesn't need me defending him) but I absolutely believe that it is the exact opposite of a loser mentality to go for 2 there. You are definitively saying to your opponent, "you can't stop me from getting three yards."

Important to remember that HS football OT starts at the 10 not the 25. HC had a hot hand in the 2nd half and had just scored to tie the game and then scored quickly on their turn in OT. Besides, GW almost missed their first EP of the game due to rain soaked balls and the OT EP with the rain was roughly a 50/50 bet.

So ask yourself, which is the more aggressive winner mentality; to lose a game on a muffed EP snap in the rain, or show supreme confidence that your offense can gain 3 yards? I love that call.

Last edited:
Capn'

I Bet, especially now that you know who Big C is. Looks like last year you chose to correct him during the run and when chuck was questioning the teams quality of line play.

capnbillhittersWell-Known Member

Big C said "The support is appreciated but 91 points in last two games is as many as GW has ever put up In consecutive weeks."

Not to be picky, but the 2012 West State champ team put 49 on Willowbrook and 49 on LT in weeks 2 and 3 that year.

Your point is valid that West is putting up big numbers but to large extent, the defense is putting them in short field situations after 5 INTs and a few fumbles. and the D actually did score one against HS.

The problem is that they have been playing on a sloppy track every week. Duchon needs the three week rest while West plays at DGN and LT. I really feel for DGN, who appears to be a bit thin this year, because West is going to come in hot for their first turf game of the year. Over under on West pts is 50

I was writing my post before I noticed Big C step in but I absolutely believe that it is the exact opposite of a loser mentality to go for 2 there. You are definitively saying to your opponent, "you can't stop me from getting three yards."

Important to remember that HS football OT starts at the 10 not the 25. HC had a hot hand in the 2nd half and had just scored to tie the game and then scored quickly on their turn in OT. Besides, GW almost missed their first EP of the game due to rain soaked balls and the OT EP with the rain was roughly a 50/50 bet.

So ask yourself, which is the more aggressive winner mentality; to lose a game on a muffed EP snap in the rain, or show supreme confidence that your offense can gain 3 yards? I love that call.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Capn'

I Bet, especially now that you know who Big C is. Looks like last year you chose to correct him during the run and when chuck was questioning the teams quality of line play.

capnbillhittersWell-Known Member

Big C said "The support is appreciated but 91 points in last two games is as many as GW has ever put up In consecutive weeks."

Not to be picky, but the 2012 West State champ team put 49 on Willowbrook and 49 on LT in weeks 2 and 3 that year.

Your point is valid that West is putting up big numbers but to large extent, the defense is putting them in short field situations after 5 INTs and a few fumbles. and the D actually did score one against HS.

The problem is that they have been playing on a sloppy track every week. Duchon needs the three week rest while West plays at DGN and LT. I really feel for DGN, who appears to be a bit thin this year, because West is going to come in hot for their first turf game of the year. Over under on West pts is 50

So hilarious. I was told the next day and could not have felt more stupid. Excellent homework!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50

Nominated for the post of the year.

Also, nominated for the next member of the DSR.

Maybe if you were at every practice you can say a coach has cost a school 2 state titles and a win this past Friday. Maybe the other teams were better and thats why they lost 2 state titles. Real easy to sit in the stands and try and dictate what should happen. Going for 2 is never a loser mentality. If you believe in your team, you make decisions that will help them win, not lose.

Maybe if you were at every practice you can say a coach has cost a school 2 state titles and a win this past Friday. Maybe the other teams were better and thats why they lost 2 state titles. Real easy to sit in the stands and try and dictate what should happen. Going for 2 is never a loser mentality. If you believe in your team, you make decisions that will help them win, not lose.

After coaching football for 40 years, I am still amazed when I see threads like this.

I learned long ago that when you win, in the opinion of many, it's because you have talented athletes; when you lose it's because of poor coaching. This appears to be true to some regardless of past record.

I'm sure Coach Hetlett believes in his team and himself. His fine record speaks for itself. It's too bad he needs to spend any time defending himself here.

I think it's awesome that they went for 2, whether they got it or not. That's what you imagine doing when you're a kid playing in the back yard. Going for 2 to win it, that's Sports & Football at it's best.

SilverHelmets, you're a tool. I thought JWar was a tool (No offense) but you're the new #1 tool on the edge message board, congrats. You are the Dan Bernstein Award front runner for 2016.

GBW fans, you guys need to relax. You can't go 9-0 every year, you aren't as good as you were in the past. It happens, get over it. Hinsdale Central is a great football program, you lost to a great program. You didn't lose to Team Englewood.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
You only need 5 wins to get to the playoffs, and Hetlet knows they will get there. I'm not a huge fan of going for 2 at home, but whatever works in that given moment is what you should do. He trusted his gut and missed this time. The guy has changed that program and it runs like very few, in a good way, and anyone in Glen Ellyn complaining is an idiot.

Last edited:
SilverHelmets, you're a tool. I thought JWar was a tool (No offense) but you're the new #1 tool on the edge message board, congrats. You are the Dan Bernstein Award front runner for 2016.

Love the "no offense"

I may have over estimated GW this season, but my trust and confidence in Coach Hetlett is well placed. The second the over time TD was made, I told my wife he'd go for 2, because that's what his kids needed. The kids and their coach left their guts on the field this past weekend. As a fan, that about all I can expect or ask for. Let's regroup and get ready for OPRF.

Last edited:
None taken

I think it's awesome that they went for 2, whether they got it or not. That's what you imagine doing when you're a kid playing in the back yard. Going for 2 to win it, that's Sports & Football at it's best.

GBW fans, you guys need to relax. You can't go 9-0 every year, you aren't as good as you were in the past. It happens, get over it. Hinsdale Central is a great football program, you lost to a great program. You didn't lose to Team Englewood.

You only need 5 wins to get to the playoffs, and Hetlet knows they will get there. I'm not a huge fan of going for 2 at home, but whatever works in that given moment is what you should do. He trusted his gut and missed this time. The guy has changed that program and it runs like very few, in a good way, and anyone in Glen Ellyn complaining is an idiot.

Game was at Hinsdale Central.

Hey Wild, we good. New territory but am learning that regular season losses teach lessons that payoff in playoffs. Dean taught me that.

Reactions: mchsalumni

Speaking on behalf of many parents and fans, we would welcome Hetlett with open arms to be our head coach! You don't know how lucky you are to have him teaching your kids! From the outside, he's excellent at x's and o's, fundamentals and more importantly a motivator! Which we and a lot of other schools don't have. Reminds me (in team fundamentals) of Deerfield's coach in the 70's and 80's, PA.
So stop your whining! He'll have them ready for the playoffs. By the way, I'm not a GW fan but I have a ton of respect. He's(GW) beaten us last year and 2012 in the playoffs.

Reactions: LWFG and chuck998
Speaking on behalf of many parents and fans, we would welcome Hetlett with open arms to be our head coach! You don't know how lucky you are to have him teaching your kids! From the outside, he's excellent at x's and o's, fundamentals and more importantly a motivator! Which we and a lot of other schools don't have. Reminds me (in team fundamentals) of Deerfield's coach in the 70's and 80's, PA.
So stop your whining! He'll have them ready for the playoffs. By the way, I'm not a GW fan but I have a ton of respect. He's(GW) beaten us last year and 2012 in the playoffs.
Brothers and Sisters, can I get an A M E N from the choir!!!

Reactions: mmca
I've known Coach Hetlett for nearly all of my 20 years doing this sort of writing thing. He consistently gets the absolute most out of his teams every year. This is not to say he doesn't have the talent because he does.

Clearly his 3-3-5 scheme works and the offense he runs works as well. Sometimes the other team is better on that given day.

Ive seen it on this board that coaches get criticized and players and so on. But if the GBW faithful want to get rid of Coach Hetlett, let me remind you of the 10 years prior to his arrival:

1-8
3-6
4-5
8-3
5-5
5-5
4-5
2-7
2-7
4-5

That's three playoff appearances and one playoff win before he arrived.

Since he has arrived.....

6-5
12-1
13-1
10-2
10-1
14-0
11-2
12-1
12-1
14-0

That's ten straight playoff appearances, 2 state titles, 3 state title game appearances and 9 straight conference titles. In arguably one of the best conferences in the state.

Silver Helmets, I beg you to reply.

Okay, hate to play "devil's advocate" here but don't think anyone is calling for Hetlett's job or saying someone else could do better. But, as silver helmets pointed out, that doesn't mean he should be free from any criticism. Some of his calls in big games, especially regarding FGs has been questionable and potentially cost the team. Even thinking back to the '09 state game- some smarter play calling could have set up an easier FG for the win but Hetlett hardly thinks about FGs. I understand the mentality, but 3 points is half as good as a TD last I checked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT