ADVERTISEMENT

have we debated the best conference this year...if not we are late to the scene

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
1. Always a good topic.

2. The thread always gets jacked up because no one know what t he question means:

A. Deepest, even if no state champs?
B. Sucky 1-X, but with 2 state champs?
C. Requires multiple deep 8A playoff runs?
D. Do you have to be a large school conference?
I think takes it back again this season. With Naz and NND set to be top dogs, Marist, and good benet and a resurgent JCA...I think the depth and talent at the top speaks for itself.

If LA continues to fire on all cylinders and MC's new offense propels them deep, i think the CCL is deep enough and large enough to take the title in the end. But I want to see MC, Reeters, and Rice first.

I no longer make predictions regarding the DVC

CCL Blue. Even with Mount Carmel dropping down to the Green Division Montini joins the Blue. Every team has won a State Title. If MC had stayed what a killer schedule it would have been to get to the playoffs. MC still gets PC and LA as crossovers.

Reactions: Wassup13
But where do you put the ESCC?

They are a tough one to classify as they have big schools and small schools all mixed together.

Marist 8A
Naz 7A (but normally 6A or 5A)
Benet 7A
JCA 5A

There were a couple of years where they had 3 teams in 3 different classes make deep runs and/or win titles in the same year. But I think I would rather have 3 or 4 bottom of the league conf games in the ESCC than the 3 bottom teams in the old DVC or new Dukane

If you judge a Conference on the top teams making deep runs - CCL Blue and ESCC will probably be tops historically and perhaps this year. They have conferences with teams in several different classifications so they have a better chance to have more teams make runs in multiple classifications without knocking each other out of the playoffs.

If you judge a Conference on depth and minimal to no “weak sister games” at the bottom on the Conference - then CCL blue (only 6 teams though) would again be at the top but I think ESCC falls off on that metric and The New Dukane rises up and the remains of the DVC with only 5 teams probably right there as well.

So combining metrics I would go:
* CCL Blue
* Dukane
* SWSC & ESCC - tie?
* DVC (Napers & Valleys) - too few of teams in Conference and all are 8A so no chance for multiple teams to make deep runs in multiple playoff classifications.

One of the Southwest Praire divisions could be interesting in 2019 depending on how they structure the divisions. If they stacked a division - that division would be worthy of inclusion in the “top conferences discussion in 2019).

Reactions: Bowie50
If you judge a Conference on the top teams making deep runs - CCL Blue and ESCC will probably be tops historically and perhaps this year. They have conferences with teams in several different classifications so they have a better chance to have more teams make runs in multiple classifications without knocking each other out of the playoffs.

If you judge a Conference on depth and minimal to no “weak sister games” at the bottom on the Conference - then CCL blue (only 6 teams though) would again be at the top but I think ESCC falls off on that metric and The New Dukane rises up and the remains of the DVC with only 5 teams probably right there as well.
The criteria used to judge conference strength is a challenge. I tend to give the top of the conference more emphasis than overall depth. And you're right, the top of the ESCC should be strong this year. It's just a tough conference to gauge due to the range of enrollment.

SWSC or the CCL Blue...flip a coin. Dukane, ESCC, DVC to round out the top 5.

Here's my logic...
1. LWE=1. Loyola>1. Marist=1. Batavia=1. Naperville Central...LWE and Loyola a step above the other 3
2. H-F=2. St. Rita=2. Naz=2. St. Charles East=2. Nequa Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years
3. Bolingbrook=3. Montini=3. Benet=3. St. Charles North=3. Naperville North...Pretty balanced in recent years
4. Lincoln-Way Central=4. Brother Rice=4. Niles Notre Dame=4. Glenbard North=4. Waubonsie Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years
5. Lincoln-Way West=5. Providence=5. Joliet Catholic=5. Wheaton North=5. Metea Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years

Lincoln-Way East and Loyola are the difference makers for me. They are just better than everyone else in every other conference it seems like going in to this season. If I had to choose in the coin flip I'd take the SWSC based on having 8 more teams of which 2 to 3 more will make the playoffs besides those top 5 in the CCL Blue.

Overall the CCL as a whole is probably the strongest conference.

My two cents.

CCL Blue. Even with Mount Carmel dropping down to the Green Division Montini joins the Blue. Every team has won a State Title. If MC had stayed what a killer schedule it would have been to get to the playoffs. MC still gets PC and LA as crossovers.

i hate to be the JCA appologist this year, but ranking the CCL 1 has to mean that everyone is fairly confident Rita wins by at least two scores over JCA week 1. JCA sits presently as the ESCC's 4th/5th ranked team. So what happens if JCA beats Rita week 1? I dont see that as impossible...maybe a true upset??? but, IF JCA wins, then suddenly, until there is more evidence, the either the ESCC springs way up or the blue drops way down.

SWSC or the CCL Blue...flip a coin. Dukane, ESCC, DVC to round out the top 5.

Here's my logic...
1. LWE=1. Loyola>1. Marist=1. Batavia=1. Naperville Central...LWE and Loyola a step above the other 3
2. H-F=2. St. Rita=2. Naz=2. St. Charles East=2. Nequa Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years
3. Bolingbrook=3. Montini=3. Benet=3. St. Charles North=3. Naperville North...Pretty balanced in recent years
4. Lincoln-Way Central=4. Brother Rice=4. Niles Notre Dame=4. Glenbard North=4. Waubonsie Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years
5. Lincoln-Way West=5. Providence=5. Joliet Catholic=5. Wheaton North=5. Metea Valley...Pretty balanced in recent years

Lincoln-Way East and Loyola are the difference makers for me. They are just better than everyone else in every other conference it seems like going in to this season. If I had to choose in the coin flip I'd take the SWSC based on having 8 more teams of which 2 to 3 more will make the playoffs besides those top 5 in the CCL Blue.

Overall the CCL as a whole is probably the strongest conference.

My two cents.

Love it. But i would flip Naperville North and Waubonsie spots at least for upcoming year. Time will tell though.

I know the board skews towards the south suburbs and catholic schools, but the North Suburban Conference has to be included in any top 5 discussion. I'd bet that if you look at state championship appearances and deep playoff runs in the past 10 - 20 years, they might come out with more appearances than any conference other than the CCL Blue and DVC. Off the top of my head, since 2000, Stevenson, Lake Zurich, and Libertyville all have multiple state championship appearances. The top 5 in that conference is rounded out by Warren, and Lake Forest, which routinely goes deep in 6A.

Here's a smaller conference quirk...the revised Metro Suburban Blue has five of the last 7 3A champions in it (Aurora Christian 11-12, McNamara 15, IC 16-17), but now has no 3A schools in the conference....It definitely would be the hardest conference for a 1A school in the state, as Aurora Christian has to be a threat in 1A if they can get to 5 wins...IC bumped to 4A is a favorite in 4A North...Mac's 572.55 should be 4A, and they should make the playoffs...And the bigger schools aren't exactly slouches either...

Reactions: dkowalczyk
Best 1A/2A conference in the state? Northwest Upstate Illini...19 State championships over the years...

Recently:
Dakota 2A champs 05 & 07, 1A champs 11
Forreston 14 & 16 1A champs
Galena 97, 03 & 07 1A
Lanark Eastland Pearl City coop 14 2A champs
Lena Winslow 10-13-17 1A champs
Freeport Aquin 05 1A champs
Stockton 1A runner up 04 & 12

The odds on one of the Northwest Upstate Illini schools, plus the 'colas (Tuscola and Arcola) and Maroa-Forsythe, making the 1A or 2A title games is astronomical....

Watch the last season of the NI Big 12 East. Kaneland, Morris, Yorkville, Dekalb, Sycamore all could beat up on non conference and then each other and make playoffs.

Tough debate for any conference to "win." Here is my take after over 50 years of playing, coaching and watching games in person or on video from the CCL and one of the higher profile suburban conferences, mostly the latter recently. There is just something intangibly distinctive about CCL football. Not sure what it is, but it may be connected to the length/quality of football program histories or the fact that more players are wearing the same colors of their dads, uncles, grandfathers, etc. At some point during a game featuring a successful CCL team, you just know something different is in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
My question with the ESCC is what to do with Notre Dame.
Notre Dame lost to Minooka in the playoffs.
I know...I know...Minooka beat Barrington and made the quarterfinals. They also lost to Plainfield South.
Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for Minooka and the job the coaching staff did last season.
I just don't know what to think of ND.

My question with the ESCC is what to do with Notre Dame.
Notre Dame lost to Minooka in the playoffs.
I know...I know...Minooka beat Barrington and made the quarterfinals. They also lost to Plainfield South.
Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for Minooka and the job the coaching staff did last season.
I just don't know what to think of ND.
Easy... Bad coaching. Ask coaches how much they like to gameplan against ND.

Reactions: Ajax217
I know the board skews towards the south suburbs and catholic schools, but the North Suburban Conference has to be included in any top 5 discussion. I'd bet that if you look at state championship appearances and deep playoff runs in the past 10 - 20 years, they might come out with more appearances than any conference other than the CCL Blue and DVC. Off the top of my head, since 2000, Stevenson, Lake Zurich, and Libertyville all have multiple state championship appearances. The top 5 in that conference is rounded out by Warren, and Lake Forest, which routinely goes deep in 6A.

Completely agree.

I also get a kick out of JChill proclaiming JCA "resurgent".
Nice!
Resurgent for one year only. Lots of seniors who started since sophomores. Can’t beat experience. Good size up front on the lines. 3 solid running backs. Linebackers are good also. Qb who is smart, can run and throw. I know “throw”? Lol. Pretty solid team. IMO, maybe a 5-6 win team because of strength of schedule. If they get to the playoffs, which means their healthy, look out.

If the Suburban Catholic/Christian Conference were still intact they would have about 20 State Championships since the year 2000.

No other conference comes near it.

Best 1A/2A conference in the state? Northwest Upstate Illini...19 State championships over the years...

Recently:
Dakota 2A champs 05 & 07, 1A champs 11
Forreston 14 & 16 1A champs
Galena 97, 03 & 07 1A
Lanark Eastland Pearl City coop 14 2A champs
Lena Winslow 10-13-17 1A champs
Freeport Aquin 05 1A champs
Stockton 1A runner up 04 & 12

The odds on one of the Northwest Upstate Illini schools, plus the 'colas (Tuscola and Arcola) and Maroa-Forsythe, making the 1A or 2A title games is astronomical....
That's Maroa Forsyth

i hate to be the JCA appologist this year, but ranking the CCL 1 has to mean that everyone is fairly confident Rita wins by at least two scores over JCA week 1. JCA sits presently as the ESCC's 4th/5th ranked team. So what happens if JCA beats Rita week 1? I dont see that as impossible...maybe a true upset??? but, IF JCA wins, then suddenly, until there is more evidence, the either the ESCC springs way up or the blue drops way down.

I honestly do not think Rita is a two-touchdown favorite over JCA. JCA is returning several players and it's in Joliet. I think SR may struggle against JCA's offense; likewise, JCA may struggle with Rita's offense. It may be a very high scoring game. Rita did lose several weapons last year. We'll shall see.

I honestly do not think Rita is a two-touchdown favorite over JCA. JCA is returning several players and it's in Joliet. I think SR may struggle against JCA's offense; likewise, JCA may struggle with Rita's offense. It may be a very high scoring game. Rita did lose several weapons last year. We'll shall see.

Rita could just as easily start 0-2 as they could be 2-0.

Yes, it is probably a very good idea to NOT be a JCA "appologist" this year. Last year in your post #10030 dated 08-29-17 here was your input about JCA after their week one win over Geneva:

"From a first glimpse perspective this JCA team is as good as any of the teams from 08 onward (last year excluded)."

I pointed out the insanity of that post on this board at that time. JCA went on to lose 6 of their remaining 8 games. They even lost to a 2 win St. Patricks team.

So you tried to say they were going to be as good as numerous JCA teams that won double-digit games and were often one of the 3 best teams in their playoff class. That is a lot of praise for an eventual 3 game winner.

You might want to remove yourself from the prediction business this year.

Yes, it is probably a very good idea to NOT be a JCA "appologist" this year. Last year in your post #10030 dated 08-29-17 here was your input about JCA after their week one win over Geneva:

"From a first glimpse perspective this JCA team is as good as any of the teams from 08 onward (last year excluded)."

I pointed out the insanity of that post on this board at that time. JCA went on to lose 6 of their remaining 8 games. They even lost to a 2 win St. Patricks team.

So you tried to say they were going to be as good as numerous JCA teams that won double-digit games and were often one of the 3 best teams in their playoff class. That is a lot of praise for an eventual 3 game winner.

You might want to remove yourself from the prediction business this year.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Quality post Dopple...

There has been a lot of CCL and ESCL fan What about Sterling over St. Viator 48-0 last year ? commentary here---has everyone forgotten games like Lake Zurich 47-17 over Rita last year and Fremd over Brother Rice 45-42 in 2016 and New Trier over Marist 31-24 in 2016 ? The CCl and East Suburban Catholic are not top conferences like the DuPage , West Suburban Silver, North Suburban , Mid-Suburban West and several others.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I don't understand all the love for JCA this year. I know they have a lot of returning starters but I saw them last year and was not impressed at all with their defense. I know it was earlier in the year when they played St.Pats who was a 2 win team last year, and St.Pats offense ran and threw the football all over the JCA defense

Resurgent for one year only. Lots of seniors who started since sophomores. Can’t beat experience. Good size up front on the lines. 3 solid running backs. Linebackers are good also. Qb who is smart, can run and throw. I know “throw”? Lol. Pretty solid team. IMO, maybe a 5-6 win team because of strength of schedule. If they get to the playoffs, which means their healthy, look out.
I believe they will score... the question is, will they be able to stop anyone

Coaching was a problem last year. It was Jawarski’s first year as head coach. He switched from defensive play calling to offensive play calling. JCA brought in a new defensive coordinator that was not with JCA in years. Most kids who played were mostly juniors on both side of the ball. Let’s see what happens this year. Got my fingers crossed. Lol

interesting debate, and lots of different takes.

I would look at it from a different perspective. Which conference is most likely to have a top quality team miss the playofffs? This levels the playing level a bit between 5,6 and 8 team conferences

From that perspective, DuKane would like be the toughest, probably followed by CCL Blue and Fox Valley. I think SSC falls out by this metric since there are more ''expected wins' compared to the others.

For that reason only, I'd put Dukane at top of list followed by ESCC.

If preseason rankings hold, Wheaton north probably wouldn't make the playoffs this year without pull an upset. Not sure there is a better team in the state would would likely miss playoffs.

interesting debate, and lots of different takes.

I would look at it from a different perspective. Which conference is most likely to have a top quality team miss the playofffs? This levels the playing level a bit between 5,6 and 8 team conferences

From that perspective, DuKane would like be the toughest, probably followed by CCL Blue and Fox Valley. I think SSC falls out by this metric since there are more ''expected wins' compared to the others.

For that reason only, I'd put Dukane at top of list followed by ESCC.

If preseason rankings hold, Wheaton north probably wouldn't make the playoffs this year without pull an upset. Not sure there is a better team in the state would would likely miss playoffs.

With the brutal non conference schedules of the remaining DVC teams - the Napers and Valleys... I could see a few pretty dang good teams missing the playoffs.

Going back to 2000 is going back too far in my opinion. If you really want to gauge a conference's current strength by looking at history, you really shouldn't look back more than a few years. However, if you look at the past ten seasons and exclude Vernon HIlls (because they are no longer in the NSC), teams from the NSC have made it to championship games five times, winning it once.

As for Warren and Lake Forest routinely going deep in 6A, the Scouts didn't qualify for the playoffs last year. The year before that they lost a third round game vs. Prairie Ridge by a score of 71-7. Warren hasn't qualified for the playoffs in the last two years, and the last time they made it past round two was 2001.

Going back to 2000 is going back too far in my opinion. If you really want to gauge a conference's current strength by looking at history, you really shouldn't look back more than a few years. However, if you look at the past ten seasons and exclude Vernon HIlls (because they are no longer in the NSC), teams from the NSC have made it to championship games five times, winning it once.

As for Warren and Lake Forest routinely going deep in 6A, the Scouts didn't qualify for the playoffs last year. The year before that they lost a third round game vs. Prairie Ridge by a score of 71-7. Warren hasn't qualified for the playoffs in the last two years, and the last time they made it past round two was 2001.
Lake Foreset made the playoffs last year and lost in the quarter-finals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT