ADVERTISEMENT

Hanson Stadium

Not many worse places than Hanson to play a game. Does not get any bit loud due to the lack of intimacy. Huge hill down the middle of the whole field and that wonderful astroturf that the Bears played on 30+ years ago.

But it sure is in a wonderful part of town!

In all seriousness, I hope they fix it up right and it continues to be a place for the area schools to play at

Reactions: kpjasion
Hanson needs to be plowed down! eliminate one side of the bleachers or tear both down to make smaller bleachers ( 25 to 25 yd/line). CPS holds city track meet so pull up the track and make field events regulation so it could CPS feature stadium to the north. They won't do this so Taft/Steinmetz will be the stadium of the North. Joliet Memorial is an upgraded Hanson stadium, one could argue its too much seating

Hanson needs to be plowed down! eliminate one side of the bleachers or tear both down to make smaller bleachers ( 25 to 25 yd/line). CPS holds city track meet so pull up the track and make field events regulation so it could CPS feature stadium to the north. They won't do this so Taft/Steinmetz will be the stadium of the North. Joliet Memorial is an upgraded Hanson stadium, one could argue its too much seating

Taft and Steinmetz have their own field no need anymore

I played football at Crane Tech high school. Class of 1981. We played our night games at Hanson stadium. Our games against Whitney Young high school were standing room only. The stands would be filled up! Battle of the westside. Only blocks separated both schools.

Reactions: Gene K.
The dad of a girl I knew in college told me that night football games at Hansen drew packed crowds in the post war years and the 1950s.

The last time i was there was about 25 years ago. Terrible place.

I played football at Crane Tech high school. Class of 1981. We played our night games at Hanson stadium. Our games against Whitney Young high school were standing room only. The stands would be filled up! Battle of the westside. Only blocks separated both schools.
those stands are huge, they go past the back of the endzone on both side. I've only seen one photo where those stands were packed (a 60s game)

Reffed a game there over 10 years ago. The worse turf I have ever seen. Gaps where the turf split.

Reactions: Zebra
I watched it streaming live & my dad just happened to walk behind me.We just sat there like what just happened???!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT