ADVERTISEMENT

Hales re-opening

Hales Franciscan Reopening In Fall With Focus On STEM

Boy, I'm old enough to remember when the fad was to remove "Tech" from your description.

I don't know if the STEM focus is the answer, but they definitely need something to create and serve a viable market niche for themselves. They already proved once they couldn't make a go of it either as an all-male or a coed school. No matter what type of school they become, if they continue to fall short of attracting generous and dependable charitable support, they will most assuredly prove it a second time. It's survival of the fittest out there, and I wish them well.

Athletically, I wonder if they will be asking to be reinstated in the CCL.

Last edited:
I would imagine that by focusing on STEM they will be able to pursue some of the many grants that are out there for this type of education. It may not be a long term solution but if they are successful with a few it should help get the school off the ground.

I would imagine that by focusing on STEM they will be able to pursue some of the many grants that are out there for this type of education. It may not be a long term solution but if they are successful with a few it should help get the school off the ground.

Agreed, but it takes talented staff resources to research and write those grants and provide the level of post-grant reporting that grant makers require nowadays. If they are starting out in an undercapitalized way and wind up living hand to mouth (as they were doing for years), then how will they be able to devote the resources necessary to pursue that type of institutional philanthropy?

I think what Hales needs more than anything are a few very generous individuals to back them and who are committed to take them at least through start up and a year or two beyond. If they can achieve their short-term objectives, then they can point to a successful track record and try to attract more support moving forward. Private schools attract charitable support not so much because they are needy, but because they are successful at what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT