ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest live game

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
What is the most exciting/electric live sporting event you have attended? (College/pro)

For me there are a few. Bears/Saints NFC championship was a great event to be a part of. For MLB, game one of the 2005 World Series was electric. I was fortunate enough to be there with my dad and son. Best college football atmosphere I have been apart of was last fall's LSU/Bama game in Tuscaloosa. Great tailgate atmosphere and the electricity inside the stadium was incredible. And the game lived up to the billing.

Reactions: Stktwg3228
High school MS @ LA 2010 semifinals
Pro NFC championship Bears Saints (it looked like the most perfect snow globe at the end of the game).
College 1989 Fiesta Bowl ND beats WV and wins National Championship
Hockey Game 5 2010 Blackhawks beat Predators. Marion Hossa game winner in OT.
Baseball probably me playing at Thilliens as a kid. Lol

Reactions: Quags57
RB / Joliet Catholic

Redwings / Blackhawk games in the old stadium when Probert was playing for the wings. Every game between these two teams was unbelievable.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
2004 NLCS Game 6: Cardinals 6, Astros 4, 12 innings -- Jim Edmonds hits a two-run walk-off home run in bottom of 12th off Houston's Dan Miceli. Jumped so high, I leaped over the chair in front of me and landed on back of guy standing about 6-6 who was standing in front of me.
2004 NLCS Game 7 -- Cardinals 5, Astros 2 -- The favorite player of my adulthood, Scott Rolen, hits the go-ahead two-run homer off Roger Clemens in the sixth inning to help send the Cardinals to the World Series.
2011 World Series Game 6 -- Cardinals 10, Rangers 9, 11 innings -- The David Freese game. Down to their last strike, Freese ties the game in the bottom of the ninth with a triple off Neftali Feliz. After Josh Hamilton puts Texas up 9-7 with a two-run homer in the top of the 10th, the Cards rally to tie it again, the big hit a two-out, two-strike single from Lance Berkman which scores Jon Jay to make it 9-9. In the bottom of the 11th, Freese drives the first pitch he sees from Mark Lowe over the center field fence as Joe Buck echoes his father "And we will see you tomorrow night.
2011 World Series Game 7 -- Cardinals 6, Rangers 2 -- After Game 6, this one was almost anti-climatic especially with the Cardinals best big-game pitcher since Bob Gibson in Chris Carpenter on the mound. (What a lot of people do not remember is Carpenter was only able to pitch this game on a decent amount of rest is because Game 6 had been pushed back a day because of rain. They called the game about 4:30/5 p.m. as I was driving downtown. By 6:30 p.m., the rain had passed and it did not resume the rest of the night). Anyway, Freese had another big hit with a two-run double in the first after Carpenter had allowed a pair of runs in the top of the inning. Allen Craig broke the tie with a homer in the third. Carpenter didn't allow another run after the first while pitching through the seventh and the bullpen did the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90
High school football -- JCA at RB in the quarters

college football -- Colorado at Michigan ending on the hail merry TD for the buffs

NHL -- St/Det 3OT western conference game 7

NBA -- Lakers vs. Knicks when Kobe scored over 50 in the Garden

Soccer -- Crystal Palace 3, Liverpool 3. LIvepool blew a 3 goal lead in the last 12 minutes to give away any chance to win the Premier league.

2001 LWE at Sandberg. Last game of the regular season
LWE needed the win to get into the playoffs, Sandburg was conference champion.
Back and forth game all the way until LWE scored with no time left.
Zvonar called for a 2-pt conversion for the win (or loss).with no time left on the clock.

Pass was caught -

40-39 and LWE was in the playoffs - first time ever for a new team (all juniors 1 sophomore)

#1 son was starting tackle on that team.

2 best HS football games I attended live:

1988 East Aurora beating West Aurora in the last game of the season to knock them out of playoff contention. Down by 15 with less than 2 minutes to go and on Defense, EA scores 16 to win.

2005 - JCA/Morris game.

Last edited:
High school MS @ LA 2010 semifinals
Pro NFC championship Bears Saints (it looked like the most perfect snow globe at the end of the game).
College 1989 Fiesta Bowl ND beats WV and wins National Championship
Hockey Game 5 2010 Blackhawks beat Predators. Marion Hossa game winner in OT.
Baseball probably me playing at Thilliens as a kid. Lol
How about the MS VS. Downers south in 2001???
I have a friend who played on that MS team and to this day cannot speak about that without getting angry.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Not counting Mt Carmel games ...

1. Game one, 2005 World Series. Spent an inning chatting with Minnie Minoso. I loved it when Ozzie called for Bobby.

2. 1983 NIT DePaul vs Northwstern. Demons scored the final 13 points to win by one. Kenny Patterson's over the head shot wins it in OT

3. Bears win NFC in January 1986. Wilbur Marshall's fumble return for a touchdown as the snow began to fall was mindblowing. (Note - Earlier in that season, Fridge ran into the end zone vs Green Bay right in front of me.)

4. 1984 DePaul vs Georgetown. Horizon management squeezed-in extra seats as the Demons beat Patrick Ewing and company. Went home and watched videotape of game afterwards; saw it again next day at a Christmas party.

5. First White Sox game: 1955 against Kansas City A's. Also, rode the el for the first time and almost died from fright.

6. Game 5, 2013 Stanley Cup finals. 'Nuf said.

7. April 1976 - Mike Schmidt hits 4 homers at Wrigley as the Cubs blow a 13 -2 lead and lose 17 - 15 in ten innings. Note that hitting four homers in a game is more rare than a perfect game.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
Game 2 2005 World Series.... Konerko’s grand slam. Have never heard an eruption quite like that.
They replayed that game on MLB last night. I turned it on a few minutes before the slam. I had forgotten about Dye not getting hit by a pitch that actually hit his bat, but being ruled as a hit batsman just before Konerko came to the plate.

College - ND beating Miami FL at ND 1988 (Catholics vs Convicts game)
High School - Rita vs Rice - 6 OT game ( even though Rice lost an amazing game at Rita)
Grammar School - St Patricia over IJP 7-0 in 1980 Catholic Grade School Conference Championship at Thornridge HS

My younger sons team winning an 8th grade NC Football Tournament. Teams from all over the country. My son was awarded defensive MVP.

LWE beating Main South in 2005 State Championship in Double Overtime.

Saint Xavier University beating 10 time NAIA National Champion Carroll College in the playoffs.
It was my older sons freshman year but he did play.

2016 Cubs winning the World Series against the Indians. Never thought I would see the Cubs win it during my lifetime.

Reactions: forlouann
Not counting Mt Carmel games ...

1. Game one, 2005 World Series. Spent an inning chatting with Minnie Minoso. I loved it when Ozzie called for Bobby.

2. 1983 NIT DePaul vs Northwstern. Demons scored the final 13 points to win by one. Kenny Patterson's over the head shot wins it in OT

3. Bears win NFC in January 1986. Wilbur Marshall's fumble return for a touchdown as the snow began to fall was mindblowing. (Note - Earlier in that season, Fridge ran into the end zone vs Green Bay right in front of me.)

4. 1984 DePaul vs Georgetown. Horizon management squeezed-in extra seats as the Demons beat Patrick Ewing and company. Went home and watched videotape of game afterwards; saw it again next day at a Christmas party.

5. First White Sox game: 1955 against Kansas City A's. Also, rode the el for the first time and almost died from fright.

6. Game 5, 2013 Stanley Cup finals. 'Nuf said.

7. April 1976 - Mike Schmidt hits 4 homers at Wrigley as the Cubs blow a 13 -2 lead and lose 17 - 15 in ten innings. Note that hitting four homers in a game is more rare than a perfect game.

Wow. Unbelievably Great list. As a Rita guy, my two fav live HS games were vs MC, in consecutive years. 88 was heartbreaking for us Rita guys. But I cannot imagine a better atmosphere than that game. Very neat to have two inner city all boys catholic high schools competing in the most unique (at the time) football stadium at 63rd and Claremont for the right to play downstate.

89 was the hardest hitting HS game I ever saw. That Rita team was the toughest team I can recall. Of course, two weeks later I was crying at Gately after the CVS debacle

2018 State Football game JCA. vs Montini
JCA down 2 TD's in the second quarter there All State RB left the game with an injury the team came together and won 36-28

Reactions: pjjp and Wassup13
2018 State Football game JCA. vs Montini
JCA down 2 TD's in the second quarter there All State RB left the game with an injury the team came together and won 36-28

I had to hold my nose to like your post.

These two sure play in some great games.

Last edited:
I had to hold my nose to like your post.

These two sure play in some great games.
Yes they do. Both teams have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. JC used turnovers to lose in 09 and blew a 17 point lead late in 12. In 18, montini was up a score late in third and driving to put final nail in coffin. They had been running at will but inexplicably threw the ball into JC’s stellar secondary to get it picked off and enable a comeback.

instant classics, all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Yes they do. Both teams have snatched losses from the jaws of victory. JC used turnovers to lose in 09 and blew a 17 point lead late in 12. In 18, montini was up a score late in third and driving to put final nail in coffin. They had been running at will but inexplicably threw the ball into JC’s stellar secondary to get it picked off and enable a comeback.

instant classics, all of them.

In 18 that was the Broncos best ever secondary that year too. Interesting JCA did not pass much. That Broncos secondary was the best I have seen from them in their history. If they played any passing team in the title game that year they would have won state.

Our top corner (now at Iowa) shut down Loyola's top receiver with no catches in that game. Our other corner I think had 2 picks vs Loyola. That game was at Loyola where nobody beats them.

In 18 our d line was not big but athletic. JCA o line was bigger than us in the trenches and that tired our athletic smaller linemen as the game went on.

Last edited:
That was the Broncos best ever secondary that year too. Interesting JCA did not pass much. That Broncos secondary was the best I have seen from them in their history. If they played any passing team in the title game that year the would have won state.

Our top corner shut down Loyola's top receiver with no catches in that game. Our other corner I think had 2 picks vs Loyola. That game was at Loyola where nobody beats them.
Wow I didn’t realize that about their secondary. That’s awesome. Really is such a game of matchups. I mean JC beat montini that year through a crazy confluence of events and what sounds like was just a bad matchup relative to montini’s strengths that year.

Naz throttled JC that season. But I could see montini matching up with naz very well that year and possibly beating them handily. Just such a game of matchups.

And the injury to Hailey really played well for JC too. He gave a gutsy performance but it allowed iannantone to get the vast majority of carries from second quarter on. Had hailey gotten most of carries and iannantone been just mixed in as a Change of pace I really don’t think JC wins. And that is not a knock on hailey as he was awesome. It was just that iannantones running style behind that massive o line was just a better matchup that day against montini.

Hoping these two teams get another crack at it sometime soon.

Jc doesn't throw much especially in 18
Iannantone has a younger brother that will be a Jr this coming year he is faster and better then his older brother he did get sometime on varsity last year he will be someone to watch

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Iannantone has a younger brother that will be a Jr this coming year he is faster and better then his older brother he did get sometime on varsity last year he will be someone to watch
I'll just hope you're right about Vinny being better than Nick. Definitely different and faster.

I wouldn't bet against any young man from that family. I'm just glad they're Hillmen. :)

Reactions: Stktwg3228
Iannantone has a younger brother that will be a Jr this coming year he is faster and better then his older brother he did get sometime on varsity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT