ADVERTISEMENT

GBW at Edwardsville

Brett.Williams

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2022
I know E-Ville is going to be the favorite headed into saturday, but looking at GBW’s schedule and checking out their film, I think GBW could keep this very interesting or and possibly come out with the win. I am interested what others thoughts are that are more familiar with these teams.

With Edwardsville missing an important two way player now, they will have to make some adjustments. I think they can make some adjustments on offense and special teams and while they won’t be as good, they can get by. Adjustments on the defensive side are a completely different story and I don’t think that the secondary will be able to recover from the loss of said player. A week ago I believed that Edwardsville had a really good chance to make it to the semifinals. At this point, I hate to say it, but I favor Glenbard West in this one.

• Sad
Reactions: crusader_of_90
The Glenbard West team currently playing is not the same team that played Desmet in week 2. After their loss to DGN, they flipped a switch on their season. GBW beat York 28-7, and it wasn't that close. I am not a GBW fan, but will give some respect where it's due.

Edwardsville recent win over DeSmet and competitive game against ESL makes them the favorite. GW has the playoff coaching experience edge. Edwardsville is at home. I think it is is close by the Tigers win 17-10.

With Edwardsville missing an important two way player now, they will have to make some adjustments. I think they can make some adjustments on offense and special teams and while they won’t be as good, they can get by. Adjustments on the defensive side are a completely different story and I don’t think that the secondary will be able to recover from the loss of said player. A week ago I believed that Edwardsville had a really good chance to make it to the semifinals. At this point, I hate to say it, but I favor Glenbard West in this one.
Any word on why he is out?

Any word on why he is out?
No. The situation is still pretty hush at the moment. If I had to guess...and I'm 100% guessing here... I would guess that he had a problem with not being involved enough on offense (a lot of fans felt that way) and he and the coaching staff came to an ugly disagreement about it that lead to both sides parting ways. Again, that is a just a guess. Whatever actually happened, it's definitely unfortunate and with it now being the 2nd round in the 8A playoffs, I think that Eville will probably be done.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
No. The situation is still pretty hush at the moment. If I had to guess...and I'm 100% guessing here... I would guess that he had a problem with not being involved enough on offense (a lot of fans felt that way) and he and the coaching staff came to an ugly disagreement about it that lead to both sides parting ways. Again, that is a just a guess. Whatever actually happened, it's definitely unfortunate and with it now being the 2nd round in the 8A playoffs, I think that Eville will probably be done.
Hopefully its hush so there is a chance for return. It's his senior season.

Eville-28
GBW-27
Eville played last game w/out him… looked rough in the first half but the got it rolling.. with another week of practice and the initial shock of it being out of the way Eville advances in a good one!!

Eville-28
GBW-27
Eville played last game w/out him… looked rough in the first half but the got it rolling.. with another week of practice and the initial shock of it being out of the way Eville advances in a good one!!
Edwardsville won’t be as good offensively and on special teams without him, but in those areas they have enough depth to make some adjustments. Again, not as good, but okay there. Defense is another matter. Aurora West had a stud wide receiver and that would have been his assignment on defense had he been playing. Eville was already lacking in that area with him trying to pick up the slack. From here on out, I suspect that teams will exploit that weakness.

Adapting doesn’t compensate for the loss of a P5 player and several starters
If you are 8-2 without those starters or P5 player then it does. If the discussion was about what teams could have been this year then, I would understand your point. Win or lose you play with the kids that are on the field. There are no excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT