ADVERTISEMENT

GBN 10 Warren 7 Final

Not sure if it was all on the OC. Was his first year as OC. The head coach is notorious for being a defense first guy and trust me he rules with an iron fist. They've never had a bonafied QB there so hence run the backs into the ground. Derek McGlaughlin had a shoulder issue in 2019 championship and how many carries did he have in that game? The OC had good success as a head coach at Lyons with many offensive looks... Where did it go?
Hence the reason I said “play caller” as opposed to OC.

Hence the reason I said “play caller” as opposed to OC.
I would say it’s hard to be too critical of the coaching staff of late. The offense can be better but he has built a solid program that can compete every year for a deep run in the playoffs.

I don’t know that they were as talented this year as they were in the past, but they were still good enough to win the conference and make it a couple rounds in.

Reactions: Alexander32
I would say it’s hard to be too critical of the coaching staff of late. The offense can be better but he has built a solid program that can compete every year for a deep run in the playoffs.

I don’t know that they were as talented this year as they were in the past, but they were still good enough to win the conference and make it a couple rounds in.
No doubt it’s a heck of a program. we had a great time! all I would say number 1 clean up the penalties and the offense has got to evolve.

Reactions: corey90
You forgot to include this part of the IHSA rules:

Schools are not prohibited from conducting academic recruitment programs, programs which may include information concerning the school’s extracurricular offerings. However, such recruitment programs must be designed to provide an overview of the academic and extracurricular programs offered by a school and are not to be used as a subterfuge for recruiting students for athletic purposes.

I'm well aware of the rules as is everyone in Catholic schools. Athletics is part of every school and can be used as a piece of the puzzle which helps in the decision of where kids end up.

I have no interest in going back and forth on this topic. If you have proof of illegal recruiting, please forward it to the IHSA.
To be fair to the coaches and administration - the Coaches are not the ones out talking to kids or families. It's the parents of current students "reaching out" to let a family know how much their little Johnny is enjoying his experience. This is the tactic several schools are using towards an 8th grader in Hinsdale right now.

Reactions: Panthers1211
WT issue was not the QB (he’s committed to play D1, full athletic scholarship – grand valley moving to OVC in 2023). They had multiple issues that got exposed when playing the good teams like GBN, LF, and MS. The offense had no scheme (other than run the ball up the middle) and the team did not manage it’s talent properly. As I mentioned before the best receivers were db’s that should have been starting at receiver since day 1. The team was extremely penalized in every game (even against Waukegan) and had many personal fouls, late hits etc. Need better discipline and control of the team. No kicking game either. Punter never kicked before this year and same with place kicker. Receiving punts hit the ground too often etc. No FG all year. The team has the right culture but to win championships you’ve got to be solid in all 3 phases and play clean, complimentary football, not rely on 1 or 2 players to carry the team. It’s a magical combo, championships very elusive!
Amen to that! Somebody please forward to Micah Jones

Never posted here before. Warren is a slight coaching philosophy change away from killing it. They have more talent on offense than the conservative philosophy shows. I'm not sure why they are so extremely conservative both with playcalling and with decision making because the defense is good enough to bail them out of almost any situation. And the defense is on the field so little because of that dominance that some of those guys should really be playing more both ways. From game to game it seemed that the offensive philosophy shifted but in big games it went back to power power power even though they faced 9 man boxes and ALWAYS had an athletic advantage on the outside. Hell, max protect and take a shot downfield once a quarter. It was almost baffling how bad the offense was at times with the talent they had. Watching this game it seemed clear to me that Warren was the 'better' team but that GBN was more efficient on offense. They made tough, contested catches 2-3 times and picked on the backup corner the few times he was in. Warren got (as they have all year) way too caught up in force feeding the ball to Edwards both in the run game and the pass game and made themselves easy to defend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT