ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Records

I'll be the broken record on freshmen records: None of them matter.

Lest anyone wonder sophomore record also means nada. The only way freshman or sophomore record could maybe possibly mean anything is if you live in a world where both you and all your opponents play all freshman exclusively on the freshman team, all sophomores exclusively on the sophomore team and varsity is exclusively juniors and seniors. But any coach and program worth a damn would not limit themselves like that. Good sophomores up on varsity and some elite freshman on varsity; good freshman on sophomore team as well. Once you or your opponents or both have your best players pulled up to higher levels the lower levels are not a realistic look at what you have for future years.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Mchs
Thank you.
Agreed, what could be interesting is freshmen record being undefeated along with x number of kids pulled up to upper levels. Same, if soph is undefeated with kids pulled up as well. End of the day, it's all about reps and developing. If kids are pulled up, they should be playing, if not, send em back down and get game experience to better prepare for varsity.

Agreed, what could be interesting is freshmen record being undefeated along with x number of kids pulled up to upper levels. Same, if soph is undefeated with kids pulled up as well. End of the day, it's all about reps and developing. If kids are pulled up, they should be playing, if not, send em back down and get game experience to better prepare for varsity.

Correct!

This is definitely one of the better MC frosh classes ive seen. Others of recent vintage are current junior class and 09 team which won 8A in '12. Very deep 70 plus kids, studs on the lines, at RB, QB and one of the safeties Schickel has thoroughly impressed me. Saw them beat Maine S 21-0 without the QB and BR 41-0

Last edited:
The nice thing in Morris is that they had 37 kids on their Freshman team. And their best lineman started at tackle for 10 games on the varsity. Just depends on how hard they work going forward.

Reactions: Gene K.
Records matter more for teams who don't pull kids up, rarely receive transfers or never lose kids.

If you are a team that pulls kids up a lot, have a transient population, or freshmen who typically have not played before, it means almost nothing.

Reactions: McEvergreen
The thing I’ve always liked about freshman football is that it’s a great way to transition into high school. In the old days at a big school, if you played freshman football you’d walk into school knowing close to a hundred guys and probably being friends with a dozen or more. In my experience in the Catholic schools, freshman ball helped break down barriers between the old parish rivalries that developed the previous four years.

I think win loss records are meaningless for freshman teams. There are some young men that have never played until starting high school, some have played for years. I think some of the newbies become disheartened when the kids that have played for years get all the time. Some of those kids quit when they never see the field even in “B“ games. I think advanced freshman should move up to sophomore ball and let the freshman develop fundamentals and play as much as possible. I like seeing kids stay in the program until they develop physically. Some freshman studs are senior duds and some awkward freshmen become absolute monsters by varsity ball.

With that said I think the ND freshman were 5-3? what I’m hearing is there’s some talent there. Hopefully it develops well with another good class behind them and hopefully the classes above and behind them compliment each other and become one as varsity. Go Dons!!

Freshman records matter to 8th grade parents and players. Everything is on the internet and they do their homework. This isn’t the 80s anymore where success beget success, and tuition is 1K.

8th graders in the 80s: I’m going to so and so high school, they are dominant.

8th graders now: I’m going to so and so high school because I have an opportunity to play up sooner and get my hudl views going.

And they’re not being selfish, just smart.

This is why there are no dynasties anymore on the South Side.

I'm most leased with the MC frosh results because it reflects the number and quality of football players attracted to the school. This, in turn, helps "put fannies in the seats" as one of our principals said a few decades back.

Attrition among Catholic high schools will continue. I doubt if there will be as many as today in ten years.

For those that say they don’t matter at all - would you in turn have no concerns if your freshman went 2-7 or 1-8?

Reactions: Gene K.
For those that say they don’t matter at all - would you in turn have no concerns if your freshman went 2-7 or 1-8?
2-7 or 1-8 blow outs? Yes. But confident the next class would be better.

Look at the past decade. 2016 MC prep bowl, 2017 BR varsity 2-7, 2018 SR prep bowl. The talent goes to where it can be seen. SR brought in two amazing groups back to back that are currently juniors and Sophs after SR was pronounced dead on this board 3 years ago. And they have just what they need in their freshman class (3-5). Please let everyone you know, know they were 3 and 5.

Freshman records matter to 8th grade parents and players. Everything is on the internet and they do their homework. This isn’t the 80s anymore where success beget success, and tuition is 1K.

8th graders in the 80s: I’m going to so and so high school, they are dominant.

8th graders now: I’m going to so and so high school because I have an opportunity to play up sooner and get my hudl views going.

And they’re not being selfish, just smart.

This is why there are no dynasties anymore on the South Side.

Lol, 8th graders and their parents considering a HS are not looking at lower level results. They are looking at what varsity is doing and has been doing over recent history.

Lol, 8th graders and their parents considering a HS are not looking at lower level results. They are looking at what varsity is doing and has been doing over recent history.
If you say so, it must be true. But I think they are looking for opportunity and varsity records mean nothing year to year if the program is solid.

Guess it’s different where I’m used to out in the sticks. 3A school. One feeder program. Not that I’d be on here tooting my horn about the freshman team either way.

The nice thing about the SR frosh class is it’s a great group of DL that will be needed earlier than later on varsity. Three had to sit out MC/SR game which MC won 28-7. I repeat MC frosh beat SR 28-7 and MC frosh were an extremely dominant team.

Reactions: sivada2001
If you say so, it must be true. But I think they are looking for opportunity and varsity records mean nothing year to year if the program is solid.

they’re measuring up the overall trend of the program and trying to project how good the program will be over the next 4 years and do they trust the coaching staff to keep success going. When 8th graders come to a game visit are they at varsity games or freshman games? When they have questions about the program are they talking to the varsity coach or a freshman coach? I’ve have never seen or heard about someone tracking the freshman team, it’s coaches, attending their games, etc. But maybe my son and his peers and the programs we visited and ultimately selected have a different idea of a “good program.” To each his own and whatever you are seeking and makes you happy. I’ve just never seen anyone around me checking out sub varsity football.

they’re measuring up the overall trend of the program and trying to project how good the program will be over the next 4 years and do they trust the coaching staff to keep success going. When 8th graders come to a game visit are they at varsity games or freshman games? When they have questions about the program are they talking to the varsity coach or a freshman coach? I’ve have never seen or heard about someone tracking the freshman team, it’s coaches, attending their games, etc. But maybe my son and his peers and the programs we visited and ultimately selected have a different idea of a “good program.” To each his own and whatever you are seeking and makes you happy. I’ve just never seen anyone around me checking out sub varsity football.
Yes. All good due diligence. Coach, trend, program strength. I just added opportunity to your list. And seeing how there is no dominant program on the south side (Marist, SR, MC, BR) in the last decade, I tend to think opportunity matters to a lot of 8th grade families except for I guess yours. And happiness to you too.

Yes. All good due diligence. Coach, trend, program strength. I just added opportunity to your list. And seeing how there is no dominant program on the south side (Marist, SR, MC, BR) in the last decade, I tend to think opportunity matters to a lot of 8th grade families except for I guess yours. And happiness to you too.

When you say “opportunity” my assumption is you mean are you good enough to play at that program or are you going to be riding the bench? If that’s the case I would say that’s built into anyone and everyone’s calculus when they make their decision.

When you say “opportunity” my assumption is you mean are you good enough to play at that program or are you going to be riding the bench? If that’s the case I would say that’s built into anyone and everyone’s calculus when they make their decision.
KB at SR, AV at PC, TM at Naz, JA at JC (all accomplished Soph RBs at their schools) could’ve all played anywhere but ended up not only at different schools but at schools that did not have juniors like KO at MC, WS at BR or NT at StL. That’s not coincidence, that’s research.

I’d say there is an added layer to your calculus, ie social media, 7 on 7 teams, more right fit than just dominant program like the 90s. You obviously went through it with your kids, I went through it with mine and I agree with your posts just with the things I added.

I've been on this board a long time and have found the only people that care about lower level scores are CCL guys (and people in Bartlett).

Naz has brought up freshman and sophs to varsity for years. In fact I don't know the records of the lower levels and would bet there hasn't been a winning season down there in 10 years.

I've been on this board a long time and have found the only people that care about lower level scores are CCL guys (and people in Bartlett).

Naz has brought up freshman and sophs to varsity for years. In fact I don't know the records of the lower levels and would bet there hasn't been a winning season down there in 10 years.
I agree. But I’m a reformed chest thumper.

The thing I’ve always liked about freshman football is that it’s a great way to transition into high school. In the old days at a big school, if you played freshman football you’d walk into school knowing close to a hundred guys and probably being friends with a dozen or more. In my experience in the Catholic schools, freshman ball helped break down barriers between the old parish rivalries that developed the previous four years.

I think win loss records are meaningless for freshman teams. There are some young men that have never played until starting high school, some have played for years. I think some of the newbies become disheartened when the kids that have played for years get all the time. Some of those kids quit when they never see the field even in “B“ games. I think advanced freshman should move up to sophomore ball and let the freshman develop fundamentals and play as much as possible. I like seeing kids stay in the program until they develop physically. Some freshman studs are senior duds and some awkward freshmen become absolute monsters by varsity ball.

With that said I think the ND freshman were 5-3? what I’m hearing is there’s some talent there. Hopefully it develops well with another good class behind them and hopefully the classes above and behind them compliment each other and become one as varsity. Go Dons!!

Well said!
The Freshman level is for orientation and teaching.
It is the most critical level of a successful program.
  • Helping boys develop a sense of confidence and how to mentally suck it up and get ready for the next snap within 30 seconds --- IMHO, the biggest life lesson of the game
  • Instilling the fundamentals of good technique and developing an understanding of the program's philosophy and schemes
  • Undoing the damage done from idiot pee wee coaches
  • Helping kids determine if this game is for them --- it is worst/most dangerous place to be for a kid who does not want to be out there
There is such a physical difference among boys in the age window.
  • Some are men and shave
  • Some are a year or two away from their first whisker
  • Some are as big and as good as they will ever get
  • Some will be late bloomers
  • Some are big and have yet to grow into their bodies
Though you always play to win, at this level please let them learn without the pressure to win.

Last edited:

Naz seems to have a different approach than most schools regarding Freshmen. They bring kids up much sooner than most. And it works for them.

In my time following JCA, I can recall only two Freshmen who played on varsity (Chris Jeske and Ty Isaac), and both were D-1 athletes. Jeske played and dominated soph football during the regular season. He was brought up to the playoffs in 2001 and played LB on a state championship team that needed help defensively. He was obviously very good, but if that 2001 varsity defense had not had a dire need for help, he would never have played as a Frosh on varsity. Ironically, Ty Isaac had one good game as a Frosh on varsity. It was against Naz. IMO, he never should have been up. He should have played at the Soph level. Some believe varsity-level coaching helps kids develop, and there is some truth to that. IMO, there is no substitute for actual game experience.

Naz seems to have a different approach than most schools regarding Freshmen. They bring kids up much sooner than most. And it works for them.

In my time following JCA, I can recall only two Freshmen who played on varsity (Chris Jeske and Ty Isaac), and both were D-1 athletes. Jeske played and dominated soph football during the regular season. He was brought up to the playoffs in 2001 and played LB on a state championship team that needed help defensively. He was obviously very good, but if that 2001 varsity defense had not had a dire need for help, he would never have played as a Frosh on varsity. Ironically, Ty Isaac had one good game as a Frosh on varsity. It was against Naz. IMO, he never should have been up. He should have played at the Soph level. Some believe varsity-level coaching helps kids develop, and there is some truth to that. IMO, there is no substitute for actual game experience.
+ JR in '98 postseason - he shined at Soldier Field

Undoing the damage done from idiot pee wee coaches

What a great line

Thing about this is it's every sport not just football

Reactions: ClownBaby
Undoing the damage done from idiot pee wee coaches

What a great line

Thing about this is it's every sport not just football

Yeah...how about those idiot dads that volunteer their time? What assholes.

Yeah...how about those idiot dads that volunteer their time? What assholes.
I feel the same Dude.... As an idiot youth coach myself, I prefer to grow and develop kids knowledge and understanding of the game. I'd prefer to stick by kids, teaching them vs. cutting them and replacing them. My baseball eye and connection to "big time D1" contacts may not be there, but I hope when kids get old, slow and grey (like me)-turn to making posts on message boards, they remember those Dad coaches like I do from my youth. Those guys never prevented me from playing varsity football or college football. Either way, I'll have no regrets. I would have regrets if I had sat by idle and not been more involved. So whether you coach, ref, or support the people working with your kids-you're all equally important to the equation.

Without great detail, what area are you from?
When the southside catholic schools play on the freshman level there absolutely are younger kids and some parents watching the game. Is that the deciding factor for most, I doubt it. But winning is always better to have on the resume. Plus can see how kids you know are doing.
Does lower levels always equal a ring senior year, of course not. Seniors ar Rita were brutal freshman year and without lower classes would have been rough again this year.
For some to say there's no difference going 9-0 than 0-9 is silly. Sets a tone and a mindset.
Maybe for that reason some teams go to JV instead of having to field a small freshman team and struggle.
The varsity coach is the boss so of course he does most of the talking but lower level guys are out there. And if a parent doesn't ask about the lower levels than not sure about them. Why would you not want to know who is gonna have your kid 6 days a week for 3 months to start their hs life?
If you have a great freshman team that wins state you say look it matters. If you have a bad freshman team and then win state you say look it doesn't matter.
I've had 2 freshman boys have complete opposite team success. Long as playing team is equal I'll winning every time and enjoy it for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT