ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Lenti Sr.

mullin17

Jul 2, 2001
Is Frank Lenti still helping out at STL?
Or is he coaching somewhere else?

The Sr thing drives me crazy when I see it, shouldn’t it just be Frank Lenti and Frank Lenti Jr?
It's the same with JR on the uniform. If a player's dad or son is on the team, fine - otherwise just the name..

Re Roman numerals, I don't care how many guys with the same name precede this fellow -- all I need to know is his name.

It's the same with JR on the uniform. If a player's dad or son is on the team, fine - otherwise just the name..

Re Roman numerals, I don't care how many guys with the same name precede this fellow -- all I need to know is his name.
You have been told about this before and obviously you didn't pay attention.

Not sure about HS or college sports. But at the professional level, players legal names are put on the backs of their jerseys. Jr. can be a legal suffix, hence it gets put on the back. Hyphens can also be legal, so that is why you may see them. You're worried about something that isn't worth worrying about.

You have been told about this before and obviously you didn't pay attention.

Not sure about HS or college sports. But at the professional level, players legal names are put on the backs of their jerseys. Jr. can be a legal suffix, hence it gets put on the back. Hyphens can also be legal, so that is why you may see them. You're worried about something that isn't worth worrying about.
Sorry if I'm not sufficiently attentive for you.

Why not put his first and middle names, as well?

Thank you for your concern.

Sorry if I'm not sufficiently attentive for you.

Why not put his first and middle names, as well?

Thank you for your concern.
How about nicknames? Do you remember when Vida Blue pitched for the Oakland A's? I think there was a year or time when the A's put his name "Blue" on the back of his jersey. But the letters were the color blue. Seems as if I remember that.

How about nicknames? Do you remember when Vida Blue pitched for the Oakland A's? I think there was a year or time when the A's put his name "Blue" on the back of his jersey. But the letters were the color blue. Seems as if I remember that.
Charlie Finley offered him $$$ to change his legal name to True Blue.

As I recall, he played briefly for the White Sox and was a participant in a group no hitter.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76

As I recall, he played briefly for the White Sox and was a participant in a group no hitter.
Charlie Finley was quite the character. I can't remember an owner hated so much by their team. He used to call Dick Williams from his office in Chicago during a game and tell him to bat certain players or change pitchers. Williams would hang up on him. He also offered the players something like 300 bucks if they grew a mustache for spring training. Fingers still has his to this day 😂

I met Finley one time in Joliet. He was at a St Francis football game on a Saturday night when Gordie G was the coach. Finley had invented a football that glowed in the dark and it was being used as a test in part of the game. Finley was quite a character and interesting to talk to.

Finley was indeed interesting. But he didn't pay his players what they were worth and the team blew up. Reggie Jackson went to the Yankees and played in 3 World Series, winning two. Catfish Hunter also went to the Yankees and won 2 WS there.

An interesting story with the Yankees. Billy Martin wanted Joe Rudi and not Reggie Jackson. So, Thurman Munson went to George Steinbrenner and told him if he wanted to win a WS to go out and get Jackson. Steinbrenner did and the rest is history. I recently watched a very good program on ESPN about the 1977-78 Yankees and Dodgers. 5 star program including interviews with Jackson, Graig Nettles and Steve Garvey. They were the main ones. Tid bits from Bucky Dent, Mickey Rivers, Ron Cey, Dusty Baker and others.

Those Oakland A's teams of the early 70s were the prologue to the Yankees in the later 70s. Players that didn't care much about their owners and sometimes didn't get along themselves. But when those teams hit the field they had one goal. Beat the hell out of the other team. That was some glorious stuff to see.

Last edited:

Very sad ending for Blue. Man, he could really bring it. Do you want to stump someone with a baseball trivia question? Ask them who was the last switch hitter to win the MVP award. Answer...Vida Blue.

Very sad ending for Blue. Man, he could really bring it. Do you want to stump someone with a baseball trivia question? Ask them who was the last switch hitter to win the MVP award. Answer...Vida Blue.
Vida Blue never pitched for the Sox.

Blue probably is the last switch hitter to win the AL MVP... but there have been several since him to win the NL MVP, including Pete Rose, Willie McGee, Chipper Jones. A few others too.

Blue probably is the last switch hitter to win the AL MVP... but there have been several since him to win the NL MVP, including Pete Rose, Willie McGee, Chipper Jones. A few others too.
Sorry, it was Blue Moon Odom, who partnered with Francisco Barrios.back in '76.

I get my Blues confused. Working on it.

You are correct. I did see that he was the last AL player. Did not mention that however.

Sorry, it was Blue Moon Odom, who partnered with Francisco Barrios.back in '76.

I get my Blues confused. Working on it.
Boy could I tell you a story about a woman I met back in my playing days who "knew" Francisco Barrios. And about another I met who "knew" Jim Rooker. Fun girls! 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT