ADVERTISEMENT

Football isn't happening until the Spring

All.... Don't know. But the issue I referenced is if schools broke away from the IHSA this year and played the games without their blessing. I would be very surprised if the IHSA would want their refs to do those games. Maybe not. If so and those that do the games honored that request finding quality experienced refs might be a bit hard. Ratsy

Football officials in Illinois don't "work for" IHSA. We can receive a license from IHSA, which is a requirement to be hired by an individual school to work a game that is performed under IHSA sanction. But that license does not impart any constraints on where or for whom we can work a game.

If there were to be games independent of IHSA, the need for proof of holding an IHSA license to work that game may or may not be a requirement of that school or league running the games.

Football officials in Illinois don't "work for" IHSA. We can receive a license from IHSA, which is a requirement to be hired by an individual school to work a game that is performed under IHSA sanction. But that license does not impart any constraints on where or for whom we can work a game.

If there were to be games independent of IHSA, the need for proof of holding an IHSA license to work that game may or may not be a requirement of that school or league running the games.
In my opinion: reffing a game without a license and/or being in an association is tantamount to being a scab.

In my opinion: reffing a game without a license and/or being in an association is tantamount to being a scab.

I don't disagree. I was trying to clarify that the IHSA currently could not stop anyone, licensed by them or not, from working a non-IHSA game. They could change their rules and codify that as a requirement to hold or maintain an IHSA license (which I highly doubt they would do as it moves them closer to Employer status), but as of today they have not expressed a desire to impose that requirement.

All.... Fair enough. A question with a simple yes or no reply please. If the high schools in Illinois under the circumstances you brought up above decided to go forward and play despite the IHSA and it's insistence (with the refs they hire for games) on not doing the games, would you? Would the majority of the collective officials say yes in your opinion? Ratsy

All.... Fair enough. A question with a simple yes or no reply please. If the high schools in Illinois under the circumstances you brought up above decided to go forward and play despite the IHSA and it's insistence (with the refs they hire for games) on not doing the games, would you? Would the majority of the collective officials say yes in your opinion? Ratsy
Depends.

IHSA provides insurance for officials for both liability and accident coverage. I haven't read the fine print but insurance would be a factor for many officials if these games strayed outside the bounds of the coverage.

I don't think it is possible to answer this "yes" or "no." I think there would be a lot of officials willing to work the games, but not sure it is a majority. Safety protocols would be of concern to some, as was the case when the regular season was still under consideration (that was probably going to take 25% of available officials out of the pool). I don't think IHSA would render any kind of opinion about whether licensed officials should or should not work non-sanctioned games, as they do not assign regular season contests and are not the direct employers of officials in Illinois. If they did ask us to stay away, that would probably drop the available official pool down below 50%. And for a group that is already struggling to meet all commitments due to a shortage, it would be difficult to staff very many games.

I hope the guys are running sprints, the hundred-yard dash in pads and a mask. There's no better form of conditioning.

Reminds of the 2018 quarterfinal game against ESL, when Radomir and Eddie McGee burst up the middle on long touchdown runs for Mt. Carmel. The Caravan beat speed with speed, 29-19.

Last edited:
In yesterday's health briefing, Putzker made a special point of being unfazed by the weekend rallies, doubling down on his opposition to contact HS sports. Now, since being unwilling to name specific health metric(s) needing to be met to allow these activities, he is now substituting an undefinable and nebulous standard of testing requirements. Seemingly, until screening protocols in place at the pro and college FB levels exist for the IL high schools, play "is not viable for the foreseeable future." This fails to recognize how some 80% of the other states are not applying such measures. Any high-risk sport is in jeopardy of being contested at ANY time during this school year - part of his foreseeable future.

In yesterday's health briefing, Putzker made a special point of being unfazed by the weekend rallies, doubling down on his opposition to contact HS sports. Now, since being unwilling to name specific health metric(s) needing to be met to allow these activities, he is now substituting an undefinable and nebulous standard of testing requirements. Seemingly, until screening protocols in place at the pro and college FB levels exist for the IL high schools, play "is not viable for the foreseeable future." This fails to recognize how some 80% of the other states are not applying such measures. Any high-risk sport is in jeopardy of being contested at ANY time during this school year - part of his foreseeable future.
Unfortunately now that we have all “complied” with these protocols you can only imagine how the government will make use of these again going forward, especially if the top spot turns over to the side that doesn’t let a good crisis go to waste.

This state gets what it deserves.

Trust Trost indicated last night some breaking news about class action lawsuit formally to be announced against state/Pritzker. Nothing on news though.

Trust Trost indicated last night some breaking news about class action lawsuit formally to be announced against state/Pritzker. Nothing on news though.
It was suppose to be on Fox and Friends this morning, but I haven't heard anything about it.

There was a real quick statement one of the reporters mentioned that some parents were preparing a lawsuit. Did not mention if it was for sports or return to classroom....probably both.

I think it was on F&F this morning.

All.... Coach Leonard and Coach Hamilton from Sacred Heart-Griffin were on Fox and Friends this morning talking about what is going on in Illinois with high school sports. Nothing was brought up though about anyone going the litigation route. Ratsy

Reactions: missingwalter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT