2) Hire more high-quality people as assistant

3) Be more involved in player-assistant interactions

4) Never allow players to be alone in large groups in a NW football facility

1) Not supported hazing in any form

2) Hire more high-quality people as assistant

3) Be more involved in player-assistant interactions

4) Never allow players to be alone in large groups in a NW football facility
What hazing did he support?

Who wasn’t a high quality assistant that he hired?

What’s an example of how he should have been more involved in player/coach interactions?

18-23yr olds can’t be in large groups without supervision?

Not just his watch. Not just his program.

Don't disagree, but the alleged hazing activities go beyond football. It wasn't only his watch. There are other athletic program HCs and administrators and university administrators under whose watches this happened.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, SOME of those kids are coming forward for money? The fact that "too many kids have come forward with the exact same issues" could also mean that there are opportunists hopping on the bandwagon/gravytrain.

I agree that LA doesn't need this publicity, and I doubt that they were seeking any when they made their decision. Like it or not, Fitz and his kids were part of the LA family long before this dumpster fire at NU came to light, and they remain part of that family. To some degree, I respect LA for supporting Fitz to this extent during what is obviously a difficult time for him. Rallying around family members during difficult times, regardless of what others might think, is what families do.
Ramblinman
I agree with everything you are saying. There are a lot of questions to be answered. Yes the total athletic program is a shit show and the hazing wasn’t just football. Fitz could have stopped it from happening to his team, he didn’t. Yes there could be opportunists but does it really matter, the hazing still happened. I may be naive but I tend to believe 15 players more than a coach. I also don’t trust Fitz because I firmly believe he lied about not knowing. If he lied about that what else did he lie about. I actually liked Fitz as a coach until all this came out. I guess I just don’t trust him. LA is going to have to deal with him regardless because his son is on the team. I hope he isn’t too big a distraction for such a great program. I like you am not sure the upside out weighs the downside? Time will tell.

Ramblinman
I agree with everything you are saying. There are a lot of questions to be answered. Yes the total athletic program is a shit show and the hazing wasn’t just football. Fitz could have stopped it from happening to his team, he didn’t. Yes there could be opportunists but does it really matter, the hazing still happened. I may be naive but I tend to believe 15 players more than a coach. I also don’t trust Fitz because I firmly believe he lied about not knowing. If he lied about that what else did he lie about. I actually liked Fitz as a coach until all this came out. I guess I just don’t trust him. LA is going to have to deal with him regardless because his son is on the team. I hope he isn’t too big a distraction for such a great program. I like you am not sure the upside out weighs the downside? Time will tell.
Fitz could have stopped this from happening? How? If you don't think some form of hazing happens at every single college football program in America, I've got a bridge to sell you. I do not condone that, but I am saying that it happens. Fitz took the fall. He went through all protocols to volunteer to coach at Loyola. Of course there will be people who disagree with this decision. I am sure they will (have) field calls. I have never once thought Fitz was an issue and I tend to believe him- I think he has earned that through his character, rather than old players coming out of the woodwork for a payout. Pat Fitzgerald coached 17 years in the Big Ten. Whether you like him or not, he adds value. Any team, in their right mind, would love to have him on the staff. Not to mention his eldest went to Loyola and he now has two boys there. The hoops people jump through to create drama these days is remarkable.

Fitz could have stopped this from happening? How? If you don't think some form of hazing happens at every single college football program in America, I've got a bridge to sell you. I do not condone that, but I am saying that it happens. Fitz took the fall. He went through all protocols to volunteer to coach at Loyola. Of course there will be people who disagree with this decision. I am sure they will (have) field calls. I have never once thought Fitz was an issue and I tend to believe him- I think he has earned that through his character, rather than old players coming out of the woodwork for a payout. Pat Fitzgerald coached 17 years in the Big Ten. Whether you like him or not, he adds value. Any team, in their right mind, would love to have him on the staff. Not to mention his eldest went to Loyola and he now has two boys there. The hoops people jump through to create drama these days is remarkable.
Yeah you have your opinion that’s okay. I have mine. Sure Fitz is a great guy. He tried everything he could to stop the hazing that he said didn’t know was going on. Which is it trying to stop it or he didn’t even know? Sounds like a real truthful guy.

Yeah you have your opinion that’s okay. I have mine. Sure Fitz is a great guy. He tried everything he could to stop the hazing that he said didn’t know was going on. Which is it trying to stop it or he didn’t even know? Sounds like a real truthful guy.
It's fairly simple. He did everything to stop hazing by instituting rules, methods of teaching about respect and family. He put in protocols to prevent it, just as every other school does.

He didn't know it was going on because 18-23 year olds know what the rules are and how to avoid getting caught. These two things can be true- he did try to stop it and didn't know about it.

Which is why what many have been saying is also true. This story can likely be true at 99% of programs all over the country. From juco to D1. Why? Because 18-23 year olds are exactly that: 18-23 year olds that no matter what - no matter if you are annointed a saint by the pope or Lombardi reincarnated...they will do stupid stuff and do it on ways that can't be caught.

He's a fall guy for an unfortunate situation. And he won't be the last good human and coach that takes a fall like this.

Second time you’ve said this.

Answer me this…Why can’t Fitz do everything possible to prevent hazing from happening and something like this happening both be true?

I won’t say what happened is hazing cause I don’t think this was hazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT