ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz to LA

Thread title is a bit misleading. I don’t think he will be on the sidelines. He’s a parental volunteer. I’m sure they have been picking his brain the last few years anyway. Kind of like Lenti going to Laurence compacity

Thread title is a bit misleading. I don’t think he will be on the sidelines. He’s a parental volunteer. I’m sure they have been picking his brain the last few years anyway. Kind of like Lenti going to Laurence compacity
They have been more than "picking his brain" the last few seasons.. LOL . I wonder if some parents have an issue with this???

Love it, imagine being a HS kid and Fitz is a parent-coach lol. I’m changing my 8A prediction now lol.

I dunno, it’s hard for me to be a fan of this even if it’s a small move to the background. More and more lawsuits are being filed. More accusations continue to come out. If any of this is remotely true, Fitz isn’t a good guy for allowing this to happen in his program. This isn’t a great look for Loyola. I doubt very seriously if Holecek was there this move wouldn’t have taken place. Just my two cents

I dunno, it’s hard for me to be a fan of this even if it’s a small move to the background. More and more lawsuits are being filed. More accusations continue to come out. If any of this is remotely true, Fitz isn’t a good guy for allowing this to happen in his program. This isn’t a great look for Loyola. I doubt very seriously if Holecek was there this move wouldn’t have taken place. Just my two cents
I think now that it went national news it may not last…..well it will last but not in a big capacity

More and more that comes out, the better I feel about Fitz the coach vs. when this all broke.

Did he err in his control mechanisms? Yes. Do I think it was a fireable loss of control? Not anymore.

Suspension, loss of pay given to a charity, an Improvement plan. That makes far more sense to me now as opposed to canning him

I'm not giddy about this, but neither am I dead set against it.

NU is a dumpster fire right now from the top down. The damage to their reputation is substantial. IMO, Fitz has been NU's fall guy (so far) for problems that quite obviously transcend the football program. I expect others will follow and I don't mean that idiot baseball HC.

As for LA and Fitz, I heard about it over this past weekend from someone in the know, but I bit my tongue about it here. Basically, I'm fine with it until I'm not. If it is handled well, then I'm good. The minute it starts heading south, then I would expect Fitz to step away for the good of the program.

Just listened to a podcast by two former equipment managers, females, both present during the Fitz tenure.

No question I'd welcome Fitz into my program after listening.

Take It to Go is the pod. This was episode 1, likely the only one applicable to my interests but a solid kickoff for the women.

NU is a dumpster fire right now from the top down. The damage to their reputation is substantial. IMO, Fitz has been NU's fall guy (so far) for problems that quite obviously transcend the football program. I expect others will follow and I don't mean that idiot baseball HC.

As for LA and Fitz, I heard about it over this past weekend from someone in the know, but I bit my tongue about it here. Basically, I'm fine with it until I'm not. If it is handled well, then I'm good. The minute it starts heading south, then I would expect Fitz to step away for the good of the program.
I think you make a very good point. Fitz has been the only fall guy at the school for this. A levels of unfairness for sure.

My take from earlier is the timing on it is curious at best. Yes he is just a volunteer. But I also agree that if the temp goes up on this LA will do the right thing

Reactions: Jenny27
I think you make a very good point. Fitz has been the only fall guy at the school for this. A levels of unfairness for sure.

My take from earlier is the timing on it is curious at best. Yes he is just a volunteer. But I also agree that if the temp goes up on this LA will do the right thing
Fall guy? It’s been on his watch. Do you think he was told to look the other way? Maybe? To many kids have come forward in my book. It’s spanned more than a decade with this kind of nonsense going on. I agree it’s an institutional issue but he bought into or agreed to it happening or looked the other way. In any case it falls on him. The one thing I don’t agree with, is that many here on this board believe these kids are coming forward for money! If it happened it happened regardless of the lawsuits. Again too many kids have come forward with the exact same issues. If LA wants Fitz hanging around because his son is the QB so be it but LA IMO doesn’t need this kind of publicity. I don’t think it helps the new coach, it only makes his job tougher having to manage the entire situation.

Reactions: chakazulu89
Just listened to a podcast by two former equipment managers, females, both present during the Fitz tenure.

No question I'd welcome Fitz into my program after listening.

Take It to Go is the pod. This was episode 1, likely the only one applicable to my interests but a solid kickoff for the women.
Being an old retired guy with time to spare, I took the time and listened to the whole thing (a 74 minute podcast). The two women are young and at times come across as immature. And yet, they clearly are intelligent and did a thorough job of exploring the many different aspects of this matter. The two of them are extremely well informed about the matter, but are unable to draw any firm conclusions as to the significance of what took place and therefore what the appropriate response should be. It is no wonder persons contributing to this message board have differing opinions on the matter.

Reactions: colin2229
Strange move. Very little upside. All
kinds of downside. Agree with poster stating that the new coach doesn’t need this.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Doesn’t matter … he doesn’t need it whether he asked for it or not. Bad decision by someone, maybe even the new coach himself.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
Being an old retired guy with time to spare, I took the time and listened to the whole thing (a 74 minute podcast). The two women are young and at times come across as immature. And yet, they clearly are intelligent and did a thorough job of exploring the many different aspects of this matter. The two of them are extremely well informed about the matter, but are unable to draw any firm conclusions as to the significance of what took place and therefore what the appropriate response should be. It is no wonder persons contributing to this message board have differing opinions on the matter.
They are definitely on episode 1, but it's a good start.

I've done the same for seems like almost a month

Reactions: epicbret
Is the benefit worth the association with all the baggage? Those calling the shots at LA must think so.

Havent posted on this yet, mainly because i know several folks on both sides of these NU allegations, including several players who have graduated

However, some time has passed so I thought I would share my quick thoughts on the situation after talking to several folks in the know.

Here are my thoughts in Q/A form.

Did FItz know there was hazing going on? Without a doubt, yes.

Did Fitz know the extend of the full extent of the hazing, especially the sexual nature of it? Absolutely not

If Fitz has known how bad it was, would he likely have stopped it? Without a doubt and likely kicked off any serious offenders

Should Fitz have known what was going on? Without a doubt, yes.

Did the University put any type of controls in place to monitor athletic treatment? No.

Did Fitz put too much trust in some of his assistants? Yes

Were there some bad apples on the coaching staff, specifially some racist assistants and strength coaches? Yes

Did Fitz know the extent of their bad behavior? Probably not.

Is FItz a good person? Yes.

Is he a good football coach? Yes

If he a good people manager? No.

Is he fit to manage and leader a multimillion dollars organization with hundreds of players and employees? No.

Havent posted on this yet, mainly because i know several folks on both sides of these NU allegations, including several players who have graduated

However, some time has passed so I thought I would share my quick thoughts on the situation after talking to several folks in the know.

Here are my thoughts in Q/A form.

Did FItz know there was hazing going on? Without a doubt, yes.

Did Fitz know the extend of the full extent of the hazing, especially the sexual nature of it? Absolutely not

If Fitz has known how bad it was, would he likely have stopped it? Without a doubt and likely kicked off any serious offenders

Should Fitz have known what was going on? Without a doubt, yes.

Did the University put any type of controls in place to monitor athletic treatment? No.

Did Fitz put too much trust in some of his assistants? Yes

Were there some bad apples on the coaching staff, specifially some racist assistants and strength coaches? Yes

Did Fitz know the extent of their bad behavior? Probably not.

Is FItz a good person? Yes.

Is he a good football coach? Yes

If he a good people manager? No.

Is he fit to manage and leader a multimillion dollars organization with hundreds of players and employees? No.
What more could Fitz have done?

Fall guy? It’s been on his watch.
Not just his watch. Not just his program.
Do you think he was told to look the other way? Maybe? To many kids have come forward in my book. It’s spanned more than a decade with this kind of nonsense going on. I agree it’s an institutional issue but he bought into or agreed to it happening or looked the other way. In any case it falls on him.
Don't disagree, but the alleged hazing activities go beyond football. It wasn't only his watch. There are other athletic program HCs and administrators and university administrators under whose watches this happened.
The one thing I don’t agree with, is that many here on this board believe these kids are coming forward for money! If it happened it happened regardless of the lawsuits. Again too many kids have come forward with the exact same issues.
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, SOME of those kids are coming forward for money? The fact that "too many kids have come forward with the exact same issues" could also mean that there are opportunists hopping on the bandwagon/gravytrain.
If LA wants Fitz hanging around because his son is the QB so be it but LA IMO doesn’t need this kind of publicity. I don’t think it helps the new coach, it only makes his job tougher having to manage the entire situation.
I agree that LA doesn't need this publicity, and I doubt that they were seeking any when they made their decision. Like it or not, Fitz and his kids were part of the LA family long before this dumpster fire at NU came to light, and they remain part of that family. To some degree, I respect LA for supporting Fitz to this extent during what is obviously a difficult time for him. Rallying around family members during difficult times, regardless of what others might think, is what families do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT