ADVERTISEMENT

Fenwick vs Sycamore

OPRF Illini 96

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
I know a lot about Fenwick and their potent offense. But I don't know much about Sycamore. I realize the Spartans have a stout defense, as back-to-back playoff shutouts attest to. But I'm not sure if they've faced an athletic and talented attack like Fenwick's.

How do you see this game shaping up?

Reactions: USD24
I think this will be a closer game than most expect. But in the end, Fenwick's talent and experience wins out. I'll go with Friars 31, Spartans 21.

I watched the SP/SYC game, so not exactly a huge sample size. I’ve seen 3 Fenwick games. Sycamore’s defense has back to back shutouts going. The SP offense was not very diverse, they like to pound the ball with their big fullback and let the QB do his RPO. QB has some success running but very little passing. Fenwick QB is much better on his feet and throwing and has lots of athletic targets. Matching up athletically with Fenwick will be the key for Sycamore. Fenwick likes to spread it out and pound a hard running back to keep the defense honest. Fenwick’s center is a really good player and a massive Tackle up front too.
Sycamore’s offense had a lot of success running power football. They need to control the clock to keep the Fenwick offense off the field. The Fenwick defense has looked pretty good in the games I’ve seen. Not exactly overpowering but good enough. Fenwick wants to beat you on offense. I’m looking forward to this one but will be rooting for the Friars. March Friars…March men of steel.

Last edited:
My initial thought was Fenwick by 14. Sycamore is a tough, defensive-minded team, but the Friars can ball.

If Sycamore can punch the Friars in the mouth early with turnovers and some points, and hammer the body all game with pressure on Cobb, they can win. But they have to keep Cobb from making plays. He's so talented he breaks out eventually. Then has enough talent around him to then break you.

The Friars OL is the difference maker though IMO. Some DUDES

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT