ADVERTISEMENT

Feeto's Friday Upset Special.....

Don’t know much about Naperville. Don’t they have a stud playing QB this year? If so, it could be a long night for Loyola because if they have a week spot it’s defending the passing game. If Loyola gets down I’d watch for Stearney to take off running a bit more……. He’s as impressive as Jack Lausch when he takes off with the ball.
Prucha is their SR QB. He’s pretty good and he has a beast in Reggie Fleurima at WR. They have a couple other suitable WRs as well. They can definitely sling it if they want. That’s not their MO, though. They still like to run the ball.

Reactions: MC2023
I would suggest looking at the Mid suburban league as opposed to just one division.

Prospect has a pair of titles BG has one as does Hersey.

The MSL is traditionally strong but has not been of late. I would look at the whole picture as opposed to only half of it.

Before today, I didn't know one person that would have made the claim that the Mid Suburban conference is in any way comparable to the DVC at any point in the last 40 years. If you get to claim the whole Mid Suburban with 12 teams going back to the beginning then I get to add the old DVC with 8 teams. Even with Prospect, BG etc., It's still not close. 4 Championships vs. 15 Championships.

Before today, I didn't know one person that would have made the claim that the Mid Suburban conference is in any way comparable to the DVC at any point in the last 40 years. If you get to claim the whole Mid Suburban with 12 teams going back to the beginning then I get to add the old DVC with 8 teams. Even with Prospect, BG etc., It's still not close. 4 Championships vs. 15 Championships.
If you’re only basing being competitive in championships from long ago, then I’ve got nothing for you as it has zero impact as to how the games will turn out this weekend. The CSL was dominant in the 1970’s doesnt quite work so well for them today.

Incorrect on all fronts. Fact Check:

-NV beat St. Mary's (ranked #6 in Missouri) which is a better win than Palatine has and NV has beat a total of 5 playoff teams compared to Palatines 4.

-Palatines conference (Mid Suburban West) has almost zero football history to speak of. Conversely, the DVC has 40 years of rich football history and NOT just from WWS and GBN.

Mid Suburban West Conference:
0 State Champions
3 Runner Ups
3 Title Game Appearances Total

Dupage Valley Conference:
15 State Champions (West Chicago-1, WN-3, NN-2, NC-2, WWS-7)
11 Runner Ups
26 Title Game Appearances Total

Yes, the DVC has been down the last few years, but IL high school football did exist prior to 2018.

I think we live in different IL high school football worlds.
So, if the criteria is "what have you done for me lately"..MSL West did have 3 semi-finalists at least in the last 5 years - Palatine in 2015 & 2016 in 8A, Hoffman Estates in 2017 in 6A. I think like any other conference of "geographically limited" schools, they have their ups and downs, but I think they're back on the upswing and (not to be a homer, but) you really need to watch Palatine the next three years - they're gonna be good.

Prairie Ridge over Wauconda
The Northern Lake County is a weak conference in football. And you'd have a hard time validating a quality win from Wauconda's 2021 schedule.

Now if they can beat PR, I'd say they've validated themselves. But this would not be considered an upset IMO (PR over Wauconda).

Good luck to everyone tonight. I don’t like picking winners really because I suck at it and secondly someone’s season is coming to end. Game on!

If Mt Carmel beats Batavia tonight, would that be considered an upset??? I say no, so let's get on to this week's pick. This week we are going all the way out to Aurora (a place where I predicted a big upset earlier this year) for what should be a Saturday afternoon thriller. This week's pick is...... The Cadets of Marmion Academy over the Roadrunners of Nazareth Academy. Now the street has Naz as almost a touchdown favorite in this one, but I don't see it that way. It's been a strange season out in LaGrange, and if it weren't for a weak end of season schedule Naz would already be watching from home. The Cadets on the other hand have played consistent ball all year, with a nice balance on both sides of the ball. I like the Cadets tomorrow. Final score....... Marmion 28 - Nazareth 21. That's this week's upset. What are your thoughts and who is your upset?
Wauconda over Prairie Ridge

If you’re only basing being competitive in championships from long ago, then I’ve got nothing for you as it has zero impact as to how the games will turn out this weekend. The CSL was dominant in the 1970’s doesnt quite work so well for them today.
That brings back memories none the less. Glenbrook North won the first 5A title in 1974 and was 7-0 in 1975 coming to Maine East who was 5-2 at the time. My brother was a starting guard on that 75 Maine East team, and knocking off Glenbrook North 9-0 was HUGE at the time. I played during the time when Deerfield under Paul Adams and New Trier East were always two of the top teams in the state. It isn't like that anymore, but it was an exciting conference to play in at the time.

That brings back memories none the less. Glenbrook North won the first 5A title in 1974 and was 7-0 in 1975 coming to Maine East who was 5-2 at the time. My brother was a starting guard on that 75 Maine East team, and knocking off Glenbrook North 9-0 was HUGE at the time. I played during the time when Deerfield under Paul Adams and New Trier East were always two of the top teams in the state. It isn't like that anymore, but it was an exciting conference to play in at the time.
Oh yah that conference was rough. Maine East wasn’t what they are now. Maine West in 1977-78 was loaded. Paul Adams won his title and you had great teams at Nikes West Highland Park and Waukegan East. New Trier East under coach Chic and Evanston were just a great rivalry.

The CSL was crazy back then

I’ll have some of what you’re smoking should make the weekend fly by!
I can see where you are coming from, but thought it would be fun to pick a real upset. Those who are picking Prairie Ridge to "upset" Wauconda are clearly unaware Massey has Prairie Ridge as a 14.5 point favorite. Similarly, Naz/Marmion, St. Ignatius/Crete and Moline/Willowbrook can easily go either way. Wheaton Academy beating Joliet Catholic would be a true major upset as Massey has JC a 28.5 point favorite.

The Metro Suburban Conference, in which Wheaton Academy plays, is a very solid conference. Current members have won a total of nine state championships (from four different schools) since the IHSA moved to an eight-class structure in 2001. Combining the results of the two divisions, Wheaton Academy finished in a three-way tie for first place this year with IC Catholic and St. Francis. They are skilled and disciplined, and with enough breaks going their way they could pull off the huge upset.

With the foregoing having been said, Joliet Catholic historically (and this year) is a legitimate power. They deserve to be the heavy favorite. If Wheaton Academy cannot slow the JC rushing attack at least somewhat, and it's a distinct possibility they won't, then it will be a long evening for Wheaton. Also, I watched Wheaton Academy play IC Catholic earlier this year and it seemed Wheaton lacked team speed a bit. Nevertheless, with enough breaks Wheaton Academy has (in my view) a small, but real, chance of pulling off the stunner.

Oh yah that conference was rough. Maine East wasn’t what they are now. Maine West in 1977-78 was loaded. Paul Adams won his title and you had great teams at Nikes West Highland Park and Waukegan East. New Trier East under coach Chic and Evanston were just a great rivalry.

'77 Maine East team went 9-0

Reactions: kpjasion

GBN and Glenbrook South were always really good also. How hard was it to make the playoffs back then... 1977 Maine East 9-0 went to the playoffs and Glenbrook South 8-1 (lost to Maine East) didn't go.

So, if the criteria is "what have you done for me lately"..MSL West did have 3 semi-finalists at least in the last 5 years - Palatine in 2015 & 2016 in 8A, Hoffman Estates in 2017 in 6A. I think like any other conference of "geographically limited" schools, they have their ups and downs, but I think they're back on the upswing and (not to be a homer, but) you really need to watch Palatine the next three years - they're gonna be good.
I heard about the Palatine Freshman team!

My uncle played for Maine East in '77.

I believe Guy Boliaux was on that team or was just coming into the program. He was a MONSTER.

Was a Captain for the Wisconsin Badgers as a LB.

I can see where you are coming from, but thought it would be fun to pick a real upset. Those who are picking Prairie Ridge to "upset" Wauconda are clearly unaware Massey has Prairie Ridge as a 14.5 point favorite. Similarly, Naz/Marmion, St. Ignatius/Crete and Moline/Willowbrook can easily go either way. Wheaton Academy beating Joliet Catholic would be a true major upset as Massey has JC a 28.5 point favorite.

The Metro Suburban Conference, in which Wheaton Academy plays, is a very solid conference. Current members have won a total of nine state championships (from four different schools) since the IHSA moved to an eight-class structure in 2001. Combining the results of the two divisions, Wheaton Academy finished in a three-way tie for first place this year with IC Catholic and St. Francis. They are skilled and disciplined, and with enough breaks going their way they could pull off the huge upset.

With the foregoing having been said, Joliet Catholic historically (and this year) is a legitimate power. They deserve to be the heavy favorite. If Wheaton Academy cannot slow the JC rushing attack at least somewhat, and it's a distinct possibility they won't, then it will be a long evening for Wheaton. Also, I watched Wheaton Academy play IC Catholic earlier this year and it seemed Wheaton lacked team speed a bit. Nevertheless, with enough breaks Wheaton Academy has (in my view) a small, but real, chance of pulling off the stunner.
I have watched Jordan Anderson stiff arm and run over most of the CCL. I just can't see where WA has athletes that can slow him down.

My uncle played for Maine East in '77.

I believe Guy Boliaux was on that team or was just coming into the program. He was a MONSTER.

Was a Captain for the Wisconsin Badgers as a LB.
He was! He's the reason I'm a Badgers fan. Had a little time in the NFL with the Cardinals and the Bears, but was undersized at 6'1" and around 215.

One of his sons was an All State LAX player at Lake Zurich.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck

I’m confused on how you are coming up with WA/IC/SF in a tie?

I’m confused on how you are coming up with WA/IC/SF in a tie?
If one looks at the seven Metro Suburban Conference games each team played, [five division games plus two crossover games], each team finished with a 6-1 record. IC Catholic's only loss was to St. Francis. St. Francis' only loss was to Bishop McNamara. And Wheaton Academy's only loss was to IC Catholic.

Fact Check: Some people still get so butt hurt over a light-hearted upset post.

West Chicago’s state championship was in 1974! I wasn’t even born yet, LMAO.

Anyways, the current members of the mighty DVC are only 5-4 all-time versus the MSW in the playoffs, and 0-2 versus the MSE. Not saying Palatine will win, and I didn’t take them in the bracket. But lighten up Francis.

I heard about the Palatine Freshman team!
Yeah, ironically the first time I saw them in person this year was against Maine South. I'd heard they put up 60+ pts in one game and 50+ in another game at that point, but when they beat Maine South 52-21 I started to think "wow, they really got something here". But it's not just them - current varsity team is actually very junior laden and will have most of the skills positions returning next year, and when they lost to Conant this year, that was the first time those juniors had lost an MSL West game in their 3 years.

Yeah, ironically the first time I saw them in person this year was against Maine South. I'd heard they put up 60+ pts in one game and 50+ in another game at that point, but when they beat Maine South 52-21 I started to think "wow, they really got something here". But it's not just them - current varsity team is actually very junior laden and will have most of the skills positions returning next year, and when they lost to Conant this year, that was the first time those juniors had lost an MSL West game in their 3 years.
NV is the same. A Junior laden team. Most of the talent is back next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT