ADVERTISEMENT

favorite non homer team to watch/root for

Look at the amount of players on the sidelines... Something to be said for the dedication and commitment of role players and scout team guys!
Very sad those days are fading quickly. Gone is the honor of being part of a team. Unwelcome now is the “If I’m not playing, then I’m not playing “ attitudes and parents agreeing with those attitudes. I was a scout team guy. I realized that D-1 didn’t want a 5’9 160 slow footed player, but my State Rings are the same size and shape as our QB1 and I have a lifetime of great memories. MC Freshman team went from 59 to 36 and only 4 of those players transfered, few are up on varsity, the rest just retired, and this was on an undefeated team. Sad indeed.

Once they changed Coaches they took off last year losing to a decent Barrington squad finishing with a 9-3 record.

Was a fun year to watch for sure.......Hopefully this year can be similar, but I think they are a little too young. Maybe Edgy can offer more insight?

Other than conference pride in the playoffs I usually just root for the underdog.

What made me a Raider Backer was when my son was a sophomore and I stayed for the Varsity games. ANTONIO HARRIS!
BHS game offensive game plan - Harris to the right, Harris to the left, Harris up the middle. The other teams knew it but there was nothing they could do. It was a beautiful thing.

I've heard this before. Especially at LB.

Reactions: Gene K.
What made me a Raider Backer was when my son was a sophomore and I stayed for the Varsity games. ANTONIO HARRIS!
BHS game offensive game plan - Harris to the right, Harris to the left, Harris up the middle. The other teams knew it but there was nothing they could do. It was a beautiful thing.
Long time no see. How ya been?

Montini (love the way they will not shrink from playing anybody)

Marist ...(still remember how their coach stifled celebrating a win because an opposing player was hurt)

BTW, I an a public scholl fan, but these two Catholic schools earn mad respect.

Lastly, any team playing MC is high on my list to root for.

I don’t understand that. Why is the move to the SWP in the better interests of WA than a move back to the DVC?

As you say WA’s enrollment of 3900 fits far better with the Napers and Valleys with the low end being Waubonsie at 2500ish-2600ish and at the high end Neuqua 3600ish-3700ish. Also the 203/204 schools offer the same or better participation in the lower levels as in the SWP. Further - the commute time is same or less than in the SWP?

What am I missing? You say “what’s changed” - nothing and I say two things have changed drastically:

1. WA’s program has blossomed and they are now competitive with everyone. That was not the case when they left the original DVC

2 The Valleys were not in the DVC when WA left the DVC. They were in the Upstate and had good rivalries developing in the late 2000’s with WA before the Valleys left the Upstate in 2015.

I’m not gettIng it? Please explain/elaborate if you are willing.

What blossoms can wither fast without the right conditions. Rejoining the DVC means a weekly grind to have a chance at making the playoffs. WA would still be starting behind the 8 ball, because despite all the progress in the program, they aren't Naperville, and don't have the same resources as their opponents.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just that it isn't the better of the two options for WA. All the success and enthusiasm generated the past few years wouldn't have been possible if they had remained in the DVC. Not this far this fast at least.

Was a fun year to watch for sure.......Hopefully this year can be similar, but I think they are a little too young. Maybe Edgy can offer more insight?
Before last season Minooka was just terrible over the past five seasons . I remember a average Huntley squad beating them 47-0 in the first round.

Just got out Coached !

What blossoms can wither fast without the right conditions. Rejoining the DVC means a weekly grind to have a chance at making the playoffs. WA would still be starting behind the 8 ball, because despite all the progress in the program, they aren't Naperville, and don't have the same resources as their opponents.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just that it isn't the better of the two options for WA. All the success and enthusiasm generated the past few years wouldn't have been possible if they had remained in the DVC. Not this far this fast at least.

That’s fair.

I would say Waubonsie and Metea are in the same resource ball park as West Aurora though? Granted that NC and NN might be as you say - deeper in the resource Dept....

That’s fair.

I would say Waubonsie and Metea are in the same resource ball park as West Aurora though? Granted that NC and NN might be as you say - deeper in the resource Dept....

Maybe, I don't know much about them. I know they don't consider themselves Aurora at all, so its not like losing a neighborhood rivalry.

It's just the grind, I'm not afraid to say it. No more than the Wheatons were for leaving, or Oswegos for not joining. What's the upside?

Maybe, I don't know much about them. I know they don't consider themselves Aurora at all, so its not like losing a neighborhood rivalry.

It's just the grind, I'm not afraid to say it. No more than the Wheatons were for leaving, or Oswegos for not joining. What's the upside?

Better preparation for the playoffs so your not going one and done in the playoffs. I noticed Waubonsie and Neuqua didn’t fair well at all in the playoffs feasting on less capable teams during Upstate 8 conference play (except one year in 2012 when both were stacked and their starters only played 2 quarters most of the season). When they moved into the DVC for just those 3 years - they seemed to make deeper runs into 2nd round, quarters, and even one semi final run.

Granted it is a grind and injuries can pile up doing the grind so I can see it both ways. If they move to districts - it will be a grind for most of the 8A teams depending on how they break out the districts. WA and the Oswego’s could be in the same district as the Napers and Valleys. Or maybe Bolingbrook stays West and Oswego’s move north. Just don’t know.

Better preparation for the playoffs so your not going one and done in the playoffs. I noticed Waubonsie and Neuqua didn’t fair well at all in the playoffs feasting on less capable teams during Upstate 8 conference play (except one year in 2012 when both were stacked and their starters only played 2 quarters most of the season). When they moved into the DVC for just those 3 years - they seemed to make deeper runs into 2nd round, quarters, and even one semi final run.

Granted it is a grind and injuries can pile up doing the grind so I can see it both ways. If they move to districts - it will be a grind for most of the 8A teams depending on how they break out the districts. WA and the Oswego’s could be in the same district as the Napers and Valleys. Or maybe Bolingbrook stays West and Oswego’s move north. Just don’t know.

I feel like you're better off getting some experience in the playoffs, as a program, and getting a taste of what that's like and what you need to do to win. Rather than only occassionally making playoffs when you have a really stellar group, and no one knows what to do in the playoffs and it feels like a victory just making it.

I thought the expansion to 8 classes, which would allow some 5-4 teams in the playoffs, might make the DVC viable for WA to succeed in football. But then even the years they went 5-4, they wouldn't have the playoff points to get in, even having played a tough DVC schedule. With the makeup of the conference most of the years WA was in it, we could usually chalk up 3 losses at the start to NC, NN, and WWS. They all had some killer teams more often than not those years. So then you're left hoping Wheaton North and Glenbard N and E are all having down years too, cause you can't afford to lose to any of them if you want to get in the playoffs. Can't afford to beef up the non conf either, for the same reason. Stuck on a path to nowhere.

A tougher schedule may prepare you for the playoffs better, but WA lost in the first round to the eventual champions two years in a row, and Naperville Central last year. They hung with Loyola for a half 3 years ago, took Maine South to the final seconds 2 years ago, and played well against NC last year for most of the game. I don't see any of those results going differently if they had played a DVC schedule, with the possible exception of the MS game.

You're right, if they go to a district system, there's no avoiding the tough teams. But there isn't already, you'll meet them eventually. There's no back door to a championship.

ESL: Great atmosphere

Then the usual suspects from a CCL longtimer with friends that went there, are still involved there or friends/family with kids there:
PC
MC
BR
StL
DLS
LEO

Some south Publics I enjoy watching, following, or hope they do well (friends/family connections too)
Richards
Lemont
Lockport
Naperville Central

Some I follow/cheer for just because the quality posters on the board:
Brook
Waubonsie Valley
Warren
WWS
JCA
Naz
ND
MS

A lot of teams to follow/pull for, sure, why not? Just as long as they’re not playing my beloved Mustangs!

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
JCA, and Providence because the kids might have gone to one or the other had we not moved to Coal City. Cary Grove and Naperville Central because I have no idea why but I always do. Iroquois West, coach is a former Coaler. H-F, coach is a former Panther.

Things seem tense on here. lets lighten it up- Simple question, who is your unofficial school you like/follow/cheer for? I'm a MS guy, but have always liked GW. they are oddly similar in a lot of ways. One known for O, other D. Both are/were known for Saturday afternoons. Both towns have the worst street signs ever. Yours?

Montini, Marmion and LA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT