ADVERTISEMENT

favorite non homer team to watch/root for

I’ll give you three in this order

JCA- God darn I LOVED the JC/MC games to start the year. I could write a book on them and it’s a damn shame they stopped playing. From the first time I saw them play in 1991 when MC lead 24-6 with 6 min left and a Mike Alstott led JC ended up winning in OT 37-34. To the last time I saw them play in 2007 when Jordan Lynch made that horrible pitch, Brown picked up the ball and threw it up for grabs to an alone WR who ran 70 yards for the winning score. Many great in between as well, I can write a book.

Loyola- They’re that one tough kid in school whose also very nice. I loved playing them even before Holecek sprinkled them with fairy dust. 1990 team, to this day I have never seen a harder hitter in person then Terry Glavin. The 1993 game...Bowie you want to take the reigns on this one?

St. Rita- Let me say, when I was in high school at MC, hate was not a strong enough word for how I felt about SR. SR was still at the 63rd Campus so not a lot of guys from my neighborhood went there yet. It was filled by Marquette Park, West Lawn and Midway guys who I had no clue who they were, so that added flame to the fire. We beat the crap out of each other!! Looking back now, it made high school football fun, and I respect the hell out of the Mustangs.

How did Hayden Fox ever get a college job after calling that running play in the mud and rain that led to the Walnut Heights winning score?

Yeah!!

Two Horrible horrible mistakes.

First and foremost - Take a knee in the endzone and take the safety and then punt it out of bounds and game over!

Secondly - calling a running play with “the Vooch” your blocking fullback? Why not go with the RB or QB keeper - someone that touches the ball more often?;)

Ampipe fans have good reason to be restless and upset after that walnut heights loss!

Why the dislike for West Football?
I went to Queen of Peace then Althoff - these were the kids in my neighborhood, so it's a rivalry.

In fact, back in the day, our list of pre-season goals included shutting out West. That was direct from Coach Schott. They did not score on my class in four years and neither did they on the varsity level for about six years, including my entire time at Althoff.

Interested to hear why you're against Andrew... They beat the 'Brook in the past?
Don't like em. They were our SICA Gray rivals other than Romeoville. Then in the last year of the SICA they put together a 9-0 season luckily beating a 5-4 us in week 9 for the conference championship. And they've been hiding from us ever since. Haven't played em since 2004 and the disdain grows weekly.

Don't like em. They were our SICA Gray rivals other than Romeoville. Then in the last year of the SICA they put together a 9-0 season luckily beating a 5-4 us in week 9 for the conference championship. And they've been hiding from us ever since. Haven't played em since 2004 and the disdain grows weekly.

Maybe you'll get your wish next year when the SWSC realigns

Maybe you'll get your wish next year when the SWSC realigns
There's a conscious effort to hide them away from us. Only other team we haven't played is LWW, but there's no history there so it's not odd. We even got LWN once.

It's time they get their comeuppance.

Loyola Academy. I've lived in their "territory" since 1975, and have come to know many LA parents. They were always first class good sports. Today, still, I speak with a few after Mass about our two teams.

I've always admired DeLaSalle. As my Irish aunts would say, "they're a tough lot." They always came to play regardless of the odds. Like Mt. Carmel, "De" suffered through some hard times and wound up stronger for the effort.

It shouldn't matter, but both of these schools have really outstanding concession stands. Okay, it matters.

Bowie, if you ever find yourself in Lake County, let me know.
Lucky you, I am in Probate and Family court a couple times a week up in Lake County! I am trying to get up to see Warren play some night. Good luck to the Caravan the rest of the way. They are my favorite to with 7A this year.

JCA- God darn I LOVED the JC/MC games to start the year. I could write a book on them and it’s a damn shame they stopped playing. From the first time I saw them play in 1991 when MC lead 24-6 with 6 min left and a Mike Alstott led JC ended up winning in OT 37-34. To the last time I saw them play in 2007 when Jordan Lynch made that horrible pitch, Brown picked up the ball and threw it up for grabs to an alone WR who ran 70 yards for the winning score. Many great in between as well, I can write a book.

Loyola- They’re that one tough kid in school whose also very nice. I loved playing them even before Holecek sprinkled them with fairy dust. 1990 team, to this day I have never seen a harder hitter in person then Terry Glavin. The 1993 game...Bowie you want to take the reigns on this one?

St. Rita- Let me say, when I was in high school at MC, hate was not a strong enough word for how I felt about SR. SR was still at the 63rd Campus so not a lot of guys from my neighborhood went there yet. It was filled by Marquette Park, West Lawn and Midway guys who I had no clue who they were, so that added flame to the fire. We beat the crap out of each other!! Looking back now, it made high school football fun, and I respect the hell out of the Mustangs.
McCaravan - I will Adrian Autry and Jimmy Tomaska tell the story:

That '93 game was a brawl on a muddy track. I started at nose that game as a junior. You needed a snorkel in the bottom of the pile. MC pulled out a 7-6 victory.

Reactions: Hillini74

That '93 game was a brawl on a muddy track. I started at nose that game as a junior. You needed a snorkel in the bottom of the pile. MC pulled out a 7-6 victory.
That’s a great video, love Joyce “Well they called it a catch....”

Reactions: Bowie50
How did Hayden Fox ever get a college job after calling that running play in the mud and rain that led to the Walnut Heights winning score?
Cal Poly definitely didn’t hire him as an offensive coordinator... lol. Drove Salvucci right into a life of crime!

I went to Queen of Peace then Althoff - these were the kids in my neighborhood, so it's a rivalry.

In fact, back in the day, our list of pre-season goals included shutting out West. That was direct from Coach Schott. They did not score on my class in four years and neither did they on the varsity level for about six years, including my entire time at Althoff.

Nice. What was the difference between East and West in terms of rivalry for Althoff?

"Back in the day," Althoff was almost completely comprised of students who went K-8 at the Catholic parish schools that dotted West Main Street.

From west to east, here are the feeder Catholic Schools and the neighborhood public school in parenthesis: Blessed Sacrament (Signal Hill), St. Henry's (West Jr. High), Q of P (Emge), St. Mary's and St. Augustine (Henry Raab) and Cathedral (Central Jr. High), which is located east of the circle.

Each of those public schools fed into West. So all of us knew everyone on both sidelines. Plus, we all played West End Khoury League together - the kids that fed into East played East End Khoury.

The ESL kids who went to Althoff (AFTER ASSUMPTION CLOSED) came from St. Joes, St. Pat's, St. Phillips and Sister Thea Bowman. They either played baseball at West End Khoury or Jackie Robinson League - and we intermixed games with that league. (The aforementioned Catholic schools also played RJ Krause teams, leading to our familiarity with many ESL public school athletes.)

It's just a matter of familiarity from the time our folks let us wander the neighborhood (pre-k) to being on teams with and against this pool of kids until we were 14 and went to high school.

Thus - Althoff and West have a rivalry more intense than with East.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
"Back in the day," Althoff was almost completely comprised of students who went K-8 at the Catholic parish schools that dotted West Main Street.

From west to east, here are the feeder Catholic Schools and the neighborhood public school in parenthesis: Blessed Sacrament (Signal Hill), St. Henry's (West Jr. High), Q of P (Emge), St. Mary's and St. Augustine (Henry Raab) and Cathedral (Central Jr. High), which is located east of the circle.

Each of those public schools fed into West. So all of us knew everyone on both sidelines. Plus, we all played West End Khoury League together - the kids that fed into East played East End Khoury.

The ESL kids who went to Althoff (AFTER ASSUMPTION CLOSED) came from St. Joes, St. Pat's, St. Phillips and Sister Thea Bowman. They either played baseball at West End Khoury or Jackie Robinson League - and we intermixed games with that league. (The aforementioned Catholic schools also played RJ Krause teams, leading to our familiarity with many ESL public school athletes.)

It's just a matter of familiarity from the time our folks let us wander the neighborhood (pre-k) to being on teams with and against this pool of kids until we were 14 and went to high school.

Thus - Althoff and West have a rivalry more intense than with East.

Understood. I played Jackie Robinson Khoury League so I remember playing on the West end of Belleville. What I didn't know is that most of Althoff kids were from that area until you just broke it down for me. Now I completely understand. I dislike West for other reasons however, I can say we share an enemy. LOL

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Understood. I played Jackie Robinson Khoury League so I remember playing on the West end of Belleville. What I didn't know is that most of Althoff kids were from that area until you just broke it down for me. Now I completely understand. I dislike West for other reasons however, I can say we share an enemy. LOL
Let's hear why! Was it the ankle bracelet deal?

Player poaching? It's easy to move between the schools and establish residence in either community.

Let's hear why! Was it the ankle bracelet deal?

Player poaching? It's easy to move between the schools and establish residence in either community.

I can't go into too much out of respect for Edgy. So in light terms I will say its simply because they throw a rock and hide their hand.

The opponent of the Andrew T-Bolts have always been a favorite of mine.
Andrew has about 1500 less students than Bolingbrook along with a less-favorable football demographic, then throw in the lack of a fieldhouse for bad-weather practices. That does not seem like a recipe for a sustainable rivalry?

Is that the game Where Jovan Harbon scored on a 67yd run on the 3rd play? I sat next to him in Algebra 2 that year. Coach Dave was the instructor
Yes it was. I helped blocked a punt with a couple of other Ramblers and Timmy Fowler (All State LB) picked it up and rumbled down the field to about the 4 yard line and we punched it in. Missed PAT. Game over.

Andrew has about 1500 less students than Bolingbrook along with a less-favorable football demographic, then throw in the lack of a fieldhouse for bad-weather practices. That does not seem like a recipe for a sustainable rivalry?
Thornridge is the smallest school at 1172, and they've been awful lately. We play Thornridge. LWE and HF are by far the best programs in the conference and they play Andrew. Those reasons don't work. Andrew has got to get this retribution.

I can't go into too much out of respect for Edgy. So in light terms I will say its simply because they throw a rock and hide their hand.
Bobby Dahm - the West principal - coached me at Althoff in wrestling freshman year. He was not invited back - as a volunteer with ncaa all American credentials. Not a fan at all.

Hit me up private if you want dirt.

My college roommate went to Pontiac, so I tend to follow their scores...

My law school roommate was from Maroa, who regularly posted "White Lightning" newspaper quotes on the door when Jeff Query was playing in the NFL...

I don't have a "favorite" non homer team, but I will pull for schools where the kids aren't dealt pocket aces as they enter as freshman. I am a catholic school raised so I will pull for schools of the faith for the most part, but there's a fair amount of them that can go pound sand as they are more interested in who your parents are instead of making you a man/woman by the time when you walk across the stage/altar on graduation day

Reactions: ignazio
I like Minooka (maybe still a homer team for me) and I like to see Coal City do good as long as they arn't playing us.
Once they changed Coaches they took off last year losing to a decent Barrington squad finishing with a 9-3 record.

Arthur Knights vs Tuscola...any time (Especially when Arthur has a team). 1A Football is classic!

Naper North, Lake Park (see Arthur), IC and York (see Arthur).

Great thread!

When I was in high school myself it was whoever was beating Maine South that week(they were 1-8 my junior and senior year.. Phil Hopkins wouldn't arrive for a few years yet).

As a dad it's been anyone beating Fremd that week.

:p

McCaravan,

Very nice write up. One of my best friends growing was a MC guy and I share the same sentiments.

Reactions: McCaravan

Look at the amount of players on the sidelines... Something to be said for the dedication and commitment of role players and scout team guys!

In my freelancing days, I always liked covering Argo games. Tough kids who played their hearts out on teams with less than 30 kids. Remember when they made the state playoffs back in the 90s. Their reward was Carmel at Gately.

I also liked Richards for their toughness and skill and like Argo, had a nice mix of African-American, white and Hispanic kids. Love seeing diversity on teams and in schools.

As for far suburban schools, I loved the environment at Minooka when I covered some state playoff games there.

And for the previous posters who gave my mighty De La Salle Meteors from 35th and Michigan some love, I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my blue-and-gold heart. Great school, great people, great kids. We may not win all the time, but our kids will put forth their best effort. You can count on that.

Naperville Central.....I have a lot of friends who have kids in 203. So I always want them to do well.

Marist.....my wife's side (Bridgeport dad, 115th/Pulaski Mom) is from there and a few nephews went to Marist (niece's to MM).

Cary Grove.....a pal from my CME pit days lived there and I went to a few games there back in the day. They know how to support their team and I follow them accordingly.

I’m wondering why the West Aurora Blackhawks didn’t “come home” to the DVC instead of going Southwest Prairie? The 5 Napers and Valleys offer multiple levels of competition (Frosh, Soph, JV, Varsity, and in most sports, A and B or two JV teams), same or better travel distance, plus size fit - WA would be the biggest school along with Neuqua and Waubonsie the smallest with 1000 less kids,.... all the things WA was looking for!!

If it was so perfect, why did WA leave several years ago? And what's changed? As long as the Oswegos don't bail on the Southwest Prairie and there is some continuity for a change, this move is in the best interests of West Aurora. A move to the DVC is in the best interests of the DVC.

The enrollment gap is a concern. I feel like that is going to close up some for the Oswegos and Yorkville. But I heard West's enrollment is up to 3900 this year. Probably not going to get a whole lot smaller, although kindergarten enrollment is down a great deal in district 129 this year.

I feel like it's only a problem if West is beating everyone pretty consistently. That could lead to some hard feelings.

It may seem like a strange fit now, but it makes sense for the future. West has little in common with the DVC schools, even if a couple of them carry the Aurora name. I would have like the rivalries though, especially with the Valley schools. Guess we'll have to catch them in the playoffs.

If it was so perfect, why did WA leave several years ago? And what's changed? As long as the Oswegos don't bail on the Southwest Prairie and there is some continuity for a change, this move is in the best interests of West Aurora. A move to the DVC is in the best interests of the DVC.

The enrollment gap is a concern. I feel like that is going to close up some for the Oswegos and Yorkville. But I heard West's enrollment is up to 3900 this year. Probably not going to get a whole lot smaller, although kindergarten enrollment is down a great deal in district 129 this year.

I feel like it's only a problem if West is beating everyone pretty consistently. That could lead to some hard feelings.

It may seem like a strange fit now, but it makes sense for the future. West has little in common with the DVC schools, even if a couple of them carry the Aurora name. I would have like the rivalries though, especially with the Valley schools. Guess we'll have to catch them in the playoffs.

I don’t understand that. Why is the move to the SWP in the better interests of WA than a move back to the DVC?

As you say WA’s enrollment of 3900 fits far better with the Napers and Valleys with the low end being Waubonsie at 2500ish-2600ish and at the high end Neuqua 3600ish-3700ish. Also the 203/204 schools offer the same or better participation in the lower levels as in the SWP. Further - the commute time is same or less than in the SWP?

What am I missing? You say “what’s changed” - nothing and I say two things have changed drastically:

1. WA’s program has blossomed and they are now competitive with everyone. That was not the case when they left the original DVC

2 The Valleys were not in the DVC when WA left the DVC. They were in the Upstate and had good rivalries developing in the late 2000’s with WA before the Valleys left the Upstate in 2015.

I’m not gettIng it? Please explain/elaborate if you are willing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT