ADVERTISEMENT

fallout from end of Harlem-Glenbard East game?

Bob Moynihan I thin is a nice man and successful football coach in terms of wins at prep level.
He managed to get hapless Zion-Benton to five wins and the playoffs and immediately parlayed that into the head job at Harlem near Rockford where the program I believe had been scuffling.
That said, if he is indeed canned for the team brawl it’s probably not the most bizarre thing that has happened to him during his coaching career.
At Zion-Benton I think but am not positive that a school board member demanded he be fired for in simple terms, playing who he believed was the team’s top QB rather than play the school board member’s son at QB who I think coaches suspect was a lesser player.. My thinking on this is that you can compare Mahomes to Trubisky to get an idea of the situation.
Then I believe Moynihan sued his own school district I think but not positive because of the qb situation and I think he won money in a settlement. Someone closer to situation can clarify all this. I seem to recall reading about this and how bizarre it was. I m old and memory is not good but I think coach and athletic director both got fired and then rehired regarding the lawsuit.
It strikes me as pretty bizarre.
That said he knows how to coach a winner at the prep level and seems to be a good guy
My guess is he will be a hot prospect for scuffling programs looking a turnaround.

Bob Moynihan I thin is a nice man and successful football coach in terms of wins at prep level.
He managed to get hapless Zion-Benton to five wins and the playoffs and immediately parlayed that into the head job at Harlem near Rockford where the program I believe had been scuffling.
That said, if he is indeed canned for the team brawl it’s probably not the most bizarre thing that has happened to him during his coaching career.
At Zion-Benton I think but am not positive that a school board member demanded he be fired for in simple terms, playing who he believed was the team’s top QB rather than play the school board member’s son at QB who I think coaches suspect was a lesser player.. My thinking on this is that you can compare Mahomes to Trubisky to get an idea of the situation.
Then I believe Moynihan sued his own school district I think but not positive because of the qb situation and I think he won money in a settlement. Someone closer to situation can clarify all this. I seem to recall reading about this and how bizarre it was. I m old and memory is not good but I think coach and athletic director both got fired and then rehired regarding the lawsuit.
It strikes me as pretty bizarre.
That said he knows how to coach a winner at the prep level and seems to be a good guy
My guess is he will be a hot prospect for scuffling programs looking a turnaround.
I can confirm the story I remember it well and I've known Bobby for years....but no idea on any money or settlement etc.

Any update on suspensions for this week? At least 2 East players left the sideline and entered the fight.

I’m getting sick of fights breaking out at kneel downs I’ve seen it few times at the youth level this year where coaches are telling kids to hit the QB on the kneel down. I’m not sure what the hell is wrong with people but it’s going to lead to someone getting seriously hurt.

Crusader, unrelated to the fight, your video shows why some people think refs make more mistakes these days. We have hi-def, super slo-mo video now, from multiple angles. We can see if players caught it or not, in bounds or not, etc. Can't see anything in this video.... Like watching Atari football

Crusader, unrelated to the fight, your video shows why some people think refs make more mistakes these days. We have hi-def, super slo-mo video now, from multiple angles. We can see if players caught it or not, in bounds or not, etc. Can't see anything in this video.... Like watching Atari football
This video is from the automated system. There's a second stream that has higher quality video that I'm sure is what the IHSA used for their review.

• Haha
Reactions: crusader_of_90
If I was a coach I would be disappointed and upset if my team did this, however the initial hit from the linebacker on the white team was not illegal. There was no whistle. The O-line was standing straight up complacent, the QB waited about 1.5 seconds to take the knee.

Not hitting them on a kneel down is more of a courtesy and unspoken rule IMO.

Again, I don't condone the whole thing, but I think the black team was more in the wrong initially. The white team just kept it going longer.

That being said, if I was on the black team and my boys didn't back me up after a hit like that I'd be upset with them.

This is also what happens when teams try to squeeze a few more seconds out of a kneel down. QB stands up after the snap and moves backwards instead of taking the knee right after the snap. I've seen it a few times this year. Not an excuse for what ensues, but it definitely did not help.

Reactions: gw86
If I was a coach I would be disappointed and upset if my team did this, however the initial hit from the linebacker on the white team was not illegal. There was no whistle. The O-line was standing straight up complacent, the QB waited about 1.5 seconds to take the knee.

Again, I don't condone the whole thing, but I think the black team was more in the wrong initially. The white team just kept it going longer.

That being said, if I was on the black team and my boys didn't back me up after a hit like that I'd be upset with them.
Any time you hit a player after he is down it is a penalty, not a courtesy or unspoken rule. He clearly hit the QB after he had already taken a knee. That is a penalty at any point during the game.

Last edited:
It was 24-0. I can see if it was a 1 score game and trying to create some sort of miracle turnover but not when the game is decided. You have to look out for each other on the field.

I don’t see how the whole coaching staff at all levels are fired unless the player was instructed to act like that.

Let's just say, in the hypothetical, that the QB rolled out to his sideline and slid. Would there need to be a whistle in order for the defense to know that he was down?

Any time you a player after he is down it is a penalty, not a courtesy or unspoken rule. He clearly hit the QB after he had already taken a knee. That is a penalty at any point during the game.
I was more so focusing on the hit on the center.

Reactions: USD24
Quote from the article linked.....
"I am told by someone in the know, that what happened Friday night was the final straw with administrators at Harlem. Administrators have been unhappy with what they feel has been a decline in the culture of the football program. They believe there were times during Moynihan’s tenure when he and his assistants should have dealt more sternly with some incidents that have occurred within the team."

Either this is true or the Coach has more power than the Principal and this was his way of balancing power.

I will not stand idly by and have someone rip Atari football. This has gone too far.

Ahhh , therein lies the problem.
Why are out of the building coaches the problem? Most schools in know of have more than a few assistant OOB coaches in the program. However, I don't know a school with a Varsity HC/ Program HC that is OOB.

Why are out of the building coaches the problem? Most schools in know of have more than a few assistant OOB coaches in the program. However, I don't know a school with a Varsity HC/ Program HC that is OOB.

Because when you have some hillbilly landscaper as your offensive coordinator drinking beer with the kids after practice you get this mess. In the building coaching staffs are essential if you want your kids around consistent professionals who know how to operate properly around groups of kids.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: ref2 and ClownBaby
Because when you have some hillbilly landscaper as your offensive coordinator drinking beer with the kids after practice you get this mess. In the building coaching staffs are essential if you want your kids around consistent professionals who know how to operate properly around groups of kids.
Someone hired that hillbilly! Maybe they should be fired.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Outside of the building hires is becoming more and more common as some “admin” don’t get the power of coaches…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT