Channahon Illinois
Name: Matt Kingsbury

Position: ILB/DE

High School: Chicago St. Rita

Graduation Year: 2023

Height: 6-foot-5

Weight: 220 pounds

Video Link:

My impressions of Matt Kingsbury I was able to watch Matt Kingsbury, along with his brother Joe Kingsbury this past summer at the Lake Forest College satellite camp. Kingsbury, who started his career at Lincoln Way East transferred into St. Rita for the beginning of his sophomore year at St. Rita. I was also able to see Matt Kingsbury play live in Week 1 of the 2011 Fall season against Mount Carmel.

Evaluation of Matt Kingsbury: I really like Matt Kingsbury going back to this summer at the Lake Forest College camp. Kingsbury has impressive size, length and moves pretty well for a bigger kid playing inside linebacker. Kingsbury is a hard nosed sideline to sideline downhill tackler who just seems to have great instincts. Kingsbury has impressive strength and was able to fight off initial blocks at the point of attack and wraps and finishes tackles really well. Kingsbury in a camp setting was able to plant, flip his hips and explode pretty naturally in pass coverage and had very little issues in covering backs and tight ends. In many ways the biggest issue for Kingsbury for recruiting purposes could very well be which position will colleges project him to play at the next level. While Kingsbury is an inside linebacker, in many ways he might be more well suited to play either defensive end or even play inside at defensive tackle. Physically, Kingsbury no question will draw a ton of looks and attention at more than one position this fall and winter.

Room for improvement? Again a lot depends on where each school projects Kingsbury to play in college. As far as staying at linebacker, Kingsbury will no question need to improve his overall speed and quickness/first step. Kingsbury will end up like most inside linebackers having issues with smaller and quicker slot back types and will need to improve his overall cover skills at linebacker. Again if schools end up projecting Kingsbury at another position other than say inside linebacker, Kingsbury will need to add additional weight/strength down the line.

Projected level: Rivals has yet to rank Matt Kingsbury in the Class of 2023. I feel Kingsbury has the size and physical tools alone to develop into a mid FBS to a high FCS level player in college.

My Early Thoughts of Matt Kingsbury?

Again I just see to like about Matt Kingsbury now and especially down the line. Kingsbury will no question draw a ton of college coach looks this fall at his first few games. Kingsbury is solid in many ways at inside linebacker, yet from a recruiting/projection standpoint he's a name that I feel could draw more and more traction at say DE/DT. I mean how can you not like a kid who already has good size, a big frame and the potential to get bigger and stronger at the next level? Keep an eye on this kid this fall and winter.

EDGYTIM Recommended Initial Rankings: Mid Three Star

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News