ADVERTISEMENT

ESL will no longer be allowed to petition up.

flyerforlife

Oct 2, 2010
Per SWC in a special meeting. this is the last year they will allow ESL to petition up in football. After this year they will be borderline 5A or 6A

A couple of weeks ago, the East St. Louis administration found out during a special meeting of conference affiliates that the Flyers will no longer be able to petition the Illinois High School Association to play in the Class 7A playoffs, beginning next year. East Side is a Class 6A school by enrollment (and sometimes Class 5A), but it has been able to play in the Class 7A playoffs with bigger schools by petitioning the state.

The strange thing here is that neither Southwestern Conference commissioner Bill Schmidt, nor SWC president David Snyder will make a public comment as to why East Side won’t be allowed to do this, despite the fact that the IHSA has been allowing the Flyers to do so for years.

I smell a rat here. The conference allows Granite City to leave on what we now know was a lie, and for Collinsville to leave the conference next year in football only. But they want to punish the black students at East St. Louis.

East St. Louis is a charter member of the Southwestern Conference and it has always represented the conference very well and has been invited to participate in numerous state sanctioned events throughout the country for more than 50 years. But the more I think about this, it smells even worse because league Commissioner Bill Smith is the former Athletic Director at Belleville West as well as its former basketball coach.

And guess who usually ends Belleville West’s football season in the Class 7A playoffs every year?

You guessed right. East St. Louis!

I will have much more to talk about in the future, regarding this situation

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Hey now "I smell a rat." (lol) A question. When a school petitions up it is for two years. The Flyers have been doing it for so long I don't recall if this is the first or second year of that commitment for ESL? Ratsy

This might just help my King’s Challenge bracket! Pencil in Eastside for the next few years as my 5A-6A champ!

How can the conference block a valid petition and a state wide option for all teams per the states (IHSA) governing body? The rule/option is in place for all schools state wide - I am shocked that conferences can supercede this state rule and block a valid petition.

This is going to get a ton of press and a spotlight will be on the SWC officials (more light than they may have anticipated).

if there is a rat... is there a possibility of tossing him a piece of cheese and East Side petitions up to 8A? If they don’t block that then the rat trap would have been set and sprung!

Reactions: privatone
How can the conference block a valid petition and a state wide option for all teams per the states (IHSA) governing body? The rule/option is in place for all schools state wide - I am shocked that conferences can supercede this state rule and block a valid petition.

This is going to get a ton of press and a spotlight will be on the SWC officials (more light than they may have anticipated).

if there is a rat... is there a possibility of tossing him a piece of cheese and East Side petitions up to 8A? If they don’t block that then the rat trap would have been set and sprung!
https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/current/IHSA_Handbook.pdf

Here are the bylaws - I was hoping for a quick find, but I did not see it. FYI - searching for "petition" is not helpful - it's part of the word "competition" and there are too many instances to review this AM. Searching for "class" is not much better.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Per SWC in a special meeting. this is the last year they will allow ESL to petition up in football. After this year they will be borderline 5A or 6A

A couple of weeks ago, the East St. Louis administration found out during a special meeting of conference affiliates that the Flyers will no longer be able to petition the Illinois High School Association to play in the Class 7A playoffs, beginning next year. East Side is a Class 6A school by enrollment (and sometimes Class 5A), but it has been able to play in the Class 7A playoffs with bigger schools by petitioning the state.

The strange thing here is that neither Southwestern Conference commissioner Bill Schmidt, nor SWC president David Snyder will make a public comment as to why East Side won’t be allowed to do this, despite the fact that the IHSA has been allowing the Flyers to do so for years.

I smell a rat here. The conference allows Granite City to leave on what we now know was a lie, and for Collinsville to leave the conference next year in football only. But they want to punish the black students at East St. Louis.

East St. Louis is a charter member of the Southwestern Conference and it has always represented the conference very well and has been invited to participate in numerous state sanctioned events throughout the country for more than 50 years. But the more I think about this, it smells even worse because league Commissioner Bill Smith is the former Athletic Director at Belleville West as well as its former basketball coach.

And guess who usually ends Belleville West’s football season in the Class 7A playoffs every year?

You guessed right. East St. Louis!

I will have much more to talk about in the future, regarding this situation
Get the STL American on this too.

Does this prohibition against playing up apply to all conference schools or just ESL?

I was going to ask the same question. What authority does a conference have over a team in the state playoffs?

Nothing is guaranteed. The 2 times they were in it in 2013 and 2014 they did not win it. 2013 I know they lost to Richards at home in semi.

In 2013 ESL was 6-3 and in 2014 ESL was 5-4. One made the semis and the other made the qtrs. Neither team was state championship material.

Reactions: go dogz
I wonder if they think the Conference can win a bucket load of championship trophies with ESL going 5A-6A every year.

This is about control and wanting ESL to oetition out of the SWC. MAYBE.

Do you think they would think about going independant? Get an annual non con with Eville and their other key rivalry games and play a few St. Louis teams etc etc? They could probably get a couple of DVC teams to head south for some non con games as well.

Do you think they would think about going independant? Get an annual non con with Eville and their other key rivalry games and play a few St. Louis teams etc etc? They could probably get a couple of DVC teams to head south for some non con games as well.
Other sports to consider - and the athletic director would have a lot of work scheduling - but maybe. Football for sure they could go independent.

Other sports to consider - and the athletic director would have a lot of work scheduling - but maybe. Football for sure they could go independent.

Could a school go indie for just one sport? I was thinking that might be possible. It happens in college where a school is in X conference for football and Y conference for all other sports.

I do not think they want to go independent but they should, They do generate a lot of revenue.

Could a school go indie for just one sport? I was thinking that might be possible. It happens in college where a school is in X conference for football and Y conference for all other sports.

Yes Collinsville is out of conference in football only

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT