ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Week 9 Predictions

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
MCC - 24 Viator - 7...Disappointing seasons for both teams. Both will be looking forward to new opponents and opportunities with the merger.

Marist - 31 Benet - 14...A nice test for the RedHawks heading into the playoffs. Both of these teams have potential to make runs.

St. Patrick - 26 Carmel - 20...Strong ending to the season for the Corsairs. The rebuild is gaining momentum. Shamrocks clinch a 6-3 season (with likely no wins over winning teams) and will hope for some favorable 5A matchups. But in all seriousness, nice work by young Coach Guerra guiding the Shamrocks back to the playoffs.

Naz - 56 Marian - 0....Spartans can't wait for the merger.

ND - 30 JCA-20...Hilltoppers will do absolutely everything they can this Friday night in Niles. This game depends on the health of Ty Gavin. If he is a no-go, JCA can win this game and make the playoffs.

As expected, those who made picks last week went 5-0. I expect another week with a good amount of 5-0's. The separation will happen during week 10 and beyond...

1. Voodoo Tatum (last week: 5-0, overall: 34-6 (85%))
2. pjjp (last week: 5-0, overall: 42-8 (84%))
2. DigitalCy (last week: 5-0, overall: 42-8 (84%))
3. stonedlizard (last week: 5-0, overall: 41-9 (82%))
3. DCH88 (last week: 5-0, overall: 41-9 (82%))
4. PowerI66 (last week: 5-0, overall: 40-10 (80%))
5. Southland Fan 2016 (last week: 5-0, overall 39-11 (78%).
6. lkhammer57 (last week: 5-0, overall: 38-12 (76%))
7. ESCC Fan (last week: 5-0, overall: 36-14 (72%)
8. NWSideIrish (last week: 0-5 [no picks], overall: 26-14 (65%))
9. JolietWest89 (last week: 5-0, overall: 32-18 (64%))

MCC - 24 Viator - 7...Disappointing seasons for both teams. Both will be looking forward to new opponents and opportunities with the merger.

Marist - 31 Benet - 14...A nice test for the RedHawks heading into the playoffs. Both of these teams have potential to make runs.

St. Patrick - 26 Carmel - 20...Strong ending to the season for the Corsairs. The rebuild is gaining momentum. Shamrocks clinch a 6-3 season (with likely no wins over winning teams) and will hope for some favorable 5A matchups. But in all seriousness, nice work by young Coach Guerra guiding the Shamrocks back to the playoffs.

Naz - 56 Marian - 0....Spartans can't wait for the merger.

ND - 30 JCA-20...Hilltoppers will do absolutely everything they can this Friday night in Niles. This game depends on the health of Ty Gavin. If he is a no-go, JCA can win this game and make the playoffs.

As expected, those who made picks last week went 5-0. I expect another week with a good amount of 5-0's. The separation will happen during week 10 and beyond...

1. Voodoo Tatum (last week: 5-0, overall: 34-6 (85%))
2. pjjp (last week: 5-0, overall: 42-8 (84%))
2. DigitalCy (last week: 5-0, overall: 42-8 (84%))
3. stonedlizard (last week: 5-0, overall: 41-9 (82%))
3. DCH88 (last week: 5-0, overall: 41-9 (82%))
4. PowerI66 (last week: 5-0, overall: 40-10 (80%))
5. Southland Fan 2016 (last week: 5-0, overall 39-11 (78%).
6. lkhammer57 (last week: 5-0, overall: 38-12 (76%))
7. ESCC Fan (last week: 5-0, overall: 36-14 (72%)
8. NWSideIrish (last week: 0-5 [no picks], overall: 26-14 (65%))
9. JolietWest89 (last week: 5-0, overall: 32-18 (64%))

Is Ty Gavin hurt?

MCC
Marist
St. Patrick's
Nazareth running clock

Notre Dame on a controversial call that will have JCA fans up in arms for years complaining about it at Thirty Buck...like that playoff game at Peoria Richwoods a few years back.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
MCC over Viator....Viator is offensively challenged this year. Never understood why Mike Maloney took the MCC job in the first place. Seemed like an odd move. Good luck to MM moving forward.

Marist over Benet....Benet will sustain their 3rd home loss and finish 6-3. Marist has too much speed. I see the new conference helping the Redhawks. I'm not sure the ESCC prepares them well for the 8A playoffs. They need to play more larger enrollment schools, IMO.

Pat's over Carmel....this is a tough game to pick. Pat's has had a nice season, and the Corsairs have come on in recent weeks under the new coach. It's in Mundelein. I'm giving the ever so slight edge to the Shamrocks. Could go either way.

Naz over Marian of the Heights....saw Marist live and have seen Naz on tape a few times. For the life of me, I have no idea how Naz could lose by 3 TD's at home to Marist. Naz seems to have at least one head-scratching game each year. Not sure what to make of their prospects in 7A. We shall see.

ND over JCA....just don't think JCA has enough to beat ND on the road, even if Ty Gavin does not play. They are playing for their playoff lives. Their chances probably depend on how ND views the importance of this game.

Reactions: ThunderPapa
MCC over Viator....Viator is offensively challenged this year. Never understood why Mike Maloney took the MCC job in the first place. Seemed like an odd move. Good luck to MM moving forward.
I guess because Marian Central Catholic had more tradition than his past job at Johnsburg? IIRC MCC had Greg Bradshaw at quarterback back in the day, some pretty good teams. He played at Northwestern. Mike did a great job at Johnsburg. Maybe he can return to Illinois and coach the D Line....

Broached this topic on premium before. What should ND do assuming Gavin is 70-80%? Is it wrong if they rest him for the 6A playoffs where they have a shot to do something? What if they treat the JC game like a week 17 NFL game/virtual BYE week and rest up for playoffs and play the starters a series? In 6A it doesn't go 1-32. Is it wrong if they throw this game away and gear up for a playoff run and put the emphasis there? What if Gavin plays they beat JC but he is unavailable for playoffs?

Last edited:
I guess because Marian Central Catholic had more tradition than his past job at Johnsburg? IIRC MCC had Greg Bradshaw at quarterback back in the day, some pretty good teams. He played at Northwestern. Mike did a great job at Johnsburg. Maybe he can return to Illinois and coach the D Line....
Greg Bradshaw played at Woodstock High School. The Hartliebs would have been the big names of Marian.

Marist over Benet....Benet will sustain their 3rd home loss and finish 6-3. Marist has too much speed. I see the new conference helping the Redhawks. I'm not sure the ESCC prepares them well for the 8A playoffs. They need to play more larger enrollment schools, IMO.

Pat's over Carmel....this is a tough game to pick. Pat's has had a nice season, and the Corsairs have come on in recent weeks under the new coach. It's in Mundelein. I'm giving the ever so slight edge to the Shamrocks. Could go either way.

Naz over Marian of the Heights....saw Marist live and have seen Naz on tape a few times. For the life of me, I have no idea how Naz could lose by 3 TD's at home to Marist. Naz seems to have at least one head-scratching game each year. Not sure what to make of their prospects in 7A. We shall see.

ND over JCA....just don't think JCA has enough to beat ND on the road, even if Ty Gavin does not play. They are playing for their playoff lives. Their chances probably depend on how ND views the importance of this game.

Who are the larger enrollment schools, that Marist doesn't already play in the regular season (Rice) or playoffs (Loyola) regularly, going to be in the new combined conference that are going to help Marist better prepare for the playoffs?? What am I missing here?

Greg Bradshaw played at Woodstock High School. The Hartliebs would have been the big names of Marian.

Streveler, Bahl, Budmayr... MCC has a pretty good run on QBs

Prediction wise, in 5 ESCC games against teams not named Marian the MCC starting O has scored 2 TD’s. I would say both teams are offensively challenged.

Prediction wise, in 5 ESCC games against teams not named Marian the MCC starting O has scored 2 TD’s. I would say both teams are offensively challenged.
Don't forget Krol! He was the 4th D1 QB, of a string of four of them! They all shared the same QB coach at MCC through that run.

Who are the larger enrollment schools, that Marist doesn't already play in the regular season (Rice) or playoffs (Loyola) regularly, going to be in the new combined conference that are going to help Marist better prepare for the playoffs?? What am I missing here?
They currently play the 4 Southern ESCC schools (Benet, Naz, JCA and Marian of the Heights) every year. Naz and JCA are 5A schools. Benet is 7A. Marian has struggled for years and plays at a level lower than their enrollment. In the North, ND is the only 8A school (when they are not waived). Pat's and Carmel are in the 7A range. Viator and MCC are 5A.

While Marist has played Rice the last few years as a non-con, they have outgrown the teams in the ESCC, in terms of overall competitiveness and enrollment on a yearly basis. They will be in the top division of the new conference, which will probably include Loyola, Rice and either MC, Benet or ND. That will give them 3 quality larger enrollment foes in their division. They may play at least a few larger enrollment schools (such as Rita etc.) in their crossovers. For their non-cons, they will be able to schedule some other quality 8A opponents. IMO, that would be a schedule commensurate with their current standing as a highly competitive 8A program and better prepare them for the rigors and level of competition of the 8A playoffs.

Yes, all great names people always forget about how good Jon's older brother was, he just was way smaller than Jon size wise. I just said Hartliebs because I thought he was talking about the 80s since he brought up Bradshaw.

It will be interesting who the new head coach will be, MCC has a great tradition and it should be seen as a valuable coaching opportunity, but there's a lot of work to do, especially with enrollment and mending the broken relationship with the alumni. I think an alum who is respected by the community (both Marian currently and alumni) is a must in the next hire. If not an alum I hope to see an energetic guy who is willing to hire the right alumni back and go the extra mile to create relationships with the alumni. There have been a lot of alumni who are removed from anything Marian in the recent years, so I can't stress how important it is for the next hire to be alumni friendly. Sorry to hijack the thread a little.

They currently play the 4 Southern ESCC schools (Benet, Naz, JCA and Marian of the Heights) every year. Naz and JCA are 5A schools. Benet is 7A. Marian has struggled for years and plays at a level lower than their enrollment. In the North, ND is the only 8A school (when they are not waived). Pat's and Carmel are in the 7A range. Viator and MCC are 5A.

While Marist has played Rice the last few years as a non-con, they have outgrown the teams in the ESCC, in terms of overall competitiveness and enrollment on a yearly basis. They will be in the top division of the new conference, which will probably include Loyola, Rice and either MC, Benet or ND. That will give them 3 quality larger enrollment foes in their division. They may play at least a few larger enrollment schools (such as Rita etc.) in their crossovers. For their non-cons, they will be able to schedule some other quality 8A opponents. IMO, that would be a schedule commensurate with their current standing as a highly competitive 8A program and better prepare them for the rigors and level of competition of the 8A playoffs.
The ESCC has prepared Marist very well over the years (certainly the last 5-10) for the rigors of the 8A playoffs. Marist already plays 4 of the 5 schools you mention (Loyola in the playoffs). MC and Rita are lower enrollment schools. If the argument is Marist needs to play only really, really good programs (regardless of enrollment size) in order to be ready for the playoffs, that's a different subject (and very debatable). Injuries alone come to mind. Bottom line, you need to make the playoffs first...in order to be ready for them. I'm confident every coach, player, and fan looks at their own team's schedule each year and tries to circle those 5 wins.

Yes, all great names people always forget about how good Jon's older brother was, he just was way smaller than Jon size wise. I just said Hartliebs because I thought he was talking about the 80s since he brought up Bradshaw.

It will be interesting who the new head coach will be, MCC has a great tradition and it should be seen as a valuable coaching opportunity, but there's a lot of work to do, especially with enrollment and mending the broken relationship with the alumni. I think an alum who is respected by the community (both Marian currently and alumni) is a must in the next hire. If not an alum I hope to see an energetic guy who is willing to hire the right alumni back and go the extra mile to create relationships with the alumni. There have been a lot of alumni who are removed from anything Marian in the recent years, so I can't stress how important it is for the next hire to be alumni friendly. Sorry to hijack the thread a little.
Your right on Hammer! This next hire for MCC is not only very important for the football program its extremely important for the future of keeping the doors open! I am to sorry about the hijacking of the thread.

The ESCC has prepared Marist very well over the years (certainly the last 5-10) for the rigors of the 8A playoffs. Marist already plays 4 of the 5 schools you mention (Loyola in the playoffs). MC and Rita are lower enrollment schools. If the argument is Marist needs to play only really, really good programs (regardless of enrollment size) in order to be ready for the playoffs, that's a different subject (and very debatable). Injuries alone come to mind. Bottom line, you need to make the playoffs first...in order to be ready for them. I'm confident every coach, player, and fan looks at their own team's schedule each year and tries to circle those 5 wins.
Yes. A team needs to make the playoffs first. The point with Marist is they theoretically could be better prepared for the 8A playoffs with a schedule that is closer to the level of competition they will face in the 8A playoffs. How has Marist fared against the Ramblers in the playoffs? If their regular season schedule does not adequately prepare them for the playoffs, they are not prepared to play a team of Loyola's caliber.

For a program of Marist's caliber, the ideal non-con schedule would be to play a high-end 8A opponent (like a H-F, Bolingbrook or LWE) and a more winnable game. Marist should be at the point where merely making the playoffs is not good enough. Playing a number of 5A schools in the regular season, no matter how good, does not adequately prepare them for the 8A playoffs, IMO.

Yes. A team needs to make the playoffs first. The point with Marist is they theoretically could be better prepared for the 8A playoffs with a schedule that is closer to the level of competition they will face in the 8A playoffs. How has Marist fared against the Ramblers in the playoffs? If their regular season schedule does not adequately prepare them for the playoffs, they are not prepared to play a team of Loyola's caliber.

For a program of Marist's caliber, the ideal non-con schedule would be to play a high-end 8A opponent (like a H-F, Bolingbrook or LWE) and a more winnable game. Marist should be at the point where merely making the playoffs is not good enough. Playing a number of 5A schools in the regular season, no matter how good, does not adequately prepare them for the 8A playoffs, IMO.

In the last 4 years, Marist has advanced to 1 Championship, 1 semi-final and 1 quarterfinal in 8A. Not many 8A schools can match that run. Based on that, I would say the ESCC prepares them pretty well for the 8A playoffs.

Reactions: Cmon Now
In the last 4 years, Marist has advanced to 1 Championship, 1 semi-final and 1 quarterfinal in 8A. Not many 8A schools can match that run. Based on that, I would say the ESCC prepares them pretty well for the 8A playoffs.
Have they won 8A? Do they ever want to win it? If they do, I'd suggest they upgrade their regular season schedule to better prepare them for the 8A playoffs. Again, I'll emphasize: this is my opinion.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Have they won 8A? Do they ever want to win it? If they do, I'd suggest they upgrade their regular season schedule to better prepare them for the 8A playoffs. Again, I'll emphasize: this is my opinion.
I don't think their schedule is the reason they have not won it

Reactions: ESCC fan
I don't think their schedule is the reason they have not won it
You could be right.

Here's my last thought on the matter. I don't think the ESCC poorly prepared Marist for the 8A playoffs, because Marist's preparation was enhanced by playing top-end 5A teams like Naz. However, I think the new conference will better prepare Marist for the 8A playoffs, because they will play better and larger schools throughout their schedule. I also think a school like JCA will benefit from the new conference, because they will conceivably play schools more in line with their current level of competitiveness. In the case of Marist and JCA, the new conference is a win/win. Marist will be better prepared for the 8A playoffs by facing greater conference challenges. JCA will play teams that give them a better chance of qualifying for the playoffs.

BR, MC, LA would likely be on the schedule. Add in a non-con or two against some large public schools and they have a better representation of their playoff path then a schedule with MCC, JCA, SV, Marian of the Heights, etc.

Reactions: pjjp
MCC
Marist
Pats
Naz
JCA: Combination of Ty Gavin sitting out and JCA having a must win. I think Toppers prevail in this one.

Just curious, in your mind, was there something MCC could have done better offensively when they lose their BEST Offensive lineman Week 2 for the rest of the year...their All-Conference WR for pretty much 2.5 games...their Air Force bound center for 2 games when they have 28 young men on their varsity roster. I like how you said “starters” too . Please share.

I know this is crazy talk, but I would absolutely love to see JCA beat ND with Gavin out, sneak into the playoffs and make a deep run in 5A. And heaven forbid, if they end up running the table and winning it, giving them their 14th state title. Like I said crazy talk, but fun to think about the reaction from some on this board.

I know this is crazy talk, but I would absolutely love to see JCA beat ND with Gavin out, sneak into the playoffs and make a deep run in 5A. And heaven forbid, if they end up running the table and winning it, giving them their 14th state title. Like I said crazy talk, but fun to think about the reaction from some on this board.
Coca, that is definitely crazy talk for sure. Lol

MCC
Marist
Pats
Naz
ND

I’d love to see JCA win on Friday and I’d be happy to take a 4-1 week for that to come to fruition. Would really like to see JCA in the 5A playoffs so I can pick them for a deep run in my bracket picks.

Just curious, in your mind, was there something MCC could have done better offensively when they lose their BEST Offensive lineman Week 2 for the rest of the year...their All-Conference WR for pretty much 2.5 games...their Air Force bound center for 2 games when they have 28 young men on their varsity roster. I like how you said “starters” too . Please share.

This is a prediction thread, isn’t it? My post only suggests that before anyone calls MCC beating Viator because Viator is offensively challenged, they should know that MCC is as well.

You made a point of saying the “starting” offense...are there back-ups on this team that you feel would do a better job in your eyes. Again just curious...

This is a prediction thread, isn’t it? My post only suggests that before anyone calls MCC beating Viator because Viator is offensively challenged, they should know that MCC is as well.

You made a point of saying the “starting” offense...are there back-ups on this team that you feel would do a better job in your eyes. Again just curious...

That would be up to the coaching staff to determine. The point of saying “starting” would be that when determining the effectiveness of one side of the ball or the other it wouldn’t be accurate to compare what the back ups do against another teams back ups.

Exactly the response I figured I would get from you...thank you.

That would be up to the coaching staff to determine. The point of saying “starting” would be that when determining the effectiveness of one side of the ball or the other it wouldn’t be accurate to compare what the back ups do against another teams back ups.

Exactly the response I figured I would get from you...thank you :).

Glad I could make you happy.

Reactions: Vwaters9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT