ADVERTISEMENT

End of CG - Huntley Game

Balsy move by Huntley to go for 2 with seconds left for the win on CG’s turf and their homecoming. Willing to lose if they didn’t convert. Tough loss for CG but losing by 1 to PR and Huntley and being 5-2 is nothing to hang their heads on. CG better put this behind them quick and focus on CL South because they could be 5-3 after next week.

Last edited:
Balsy move by Huntley to go for 2 with seconds left for the win on CG’s turf and their homecoming. Nothing is lost if they didn’t convert. Tough loss for CG but losing by 1 to PR and Huntley and being 5-2 is nothing to hang their heads on. CG better put this behind them quick and focus on CL South because they could be 5-3 after next week.
South will NOT challenge CG.

I’m watching on too small of a screen. What is wrong with the officiating?
He might be talking about that final play? I wasn’t there but it sounds like the one official called the 2 point conversion no good but it was reversed after the others conferred.

I’m watching on too small of a screen. What is wrong with the officiating?
I'm 100% confident he is referring to the LJ moving into the field of play instead of immediately breaking to the pylon. I would have been further back as well. He put himself in harm's way, and put that crew in a tough situation.

He could also be talking about the BJ signaling the no good call.

Reactions: Wolffan64
I'm 100% confident he is referring to the LJ moving into the field of play instead of immediately breaking to the pylon. I would have been further back as well. He put himself in harm's way, and put that crew in a tough situation.

Nailed it stripes. At no point should the wing be there during live ball action. And then it allows for the backjudge to think he should be ruling and signaling on a pylon play that he shouldn’t have an opinion on. There’s really no defense for bad mechanics like this

Reactions: Quags57

Thank you for the explanation. I was looking for a bad call. In the end the officials made the correct call.

And how did they come to the decision to reverse the call and “get it right”?

The Line Judge is taken out and actually has his back to the pylon.

The Back Judge rules no good. (Even though he is no where close to being in position to make the call)

The referee should be watching the quarterback and should be facing away from the pylon.

The umpire and other wing are in no position to make this call and are likely screened by numerous players.

Looks the players and/or the coach (who has come almost completely across the field) influenced the reversal.

Just terrible officiating.

Reactions: PowerI66

The Back Judge rules no good. (Even though he is no where close to being in position to make the call)

The referee should be watching the quarterback and should be facing away from the pylon.

The umpire and other wing are in no position to make this call and are likely screened by numerous players.

Looks the players and/or the coach (who has come almost completely across the field) influenced the reversal.

The NYC command center made the call.

• Haha
Reactions: Blacknight36

I suspect the line judge was able to put it together, which is impressive given what happened to him I suppose. End of the day they got it right and that’s all that matters but not a good way to get there that’s for sure

I suspect the line judge was able to put it together, which is impressive given what happened to him I suppose. End of the day they got it right and that’s all that matters but not a good way to get there that’s for sure
I have, unfortunately, seen many videos of wings - not just IL - further on the field than they need. As you and @ref2 know, some contact is unavoidable, but I’m not sure why you would put yourself in harms way. My mortgage isn’t paid by my referee checks.

I have, unfortunately, seen many videos of wings - not just IL - further on the field than they need. As you and @ref2 know, some contact is unavoidable, but I’m not sure why you would put yourself in harms way. My mortgage isn’t paid by my referee checks.
It’s becoming a big problem with the referee shortage.

That wings first step at the snap is to the goal line and should be a couple feet outside of the pylon. Bad miss but I would surmise a newer official who lost his place.

That wings first step at the snap is to the goal line and should be a couple feet outside of the pylon. Bad miss but I would surmise a newer official who lost his place.
I am assuming a newer official well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that crew worked a Friday game and it was a younger fill-in.

I am assuming a newer official well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that crew worked a Friday game and it was a younger fill-in.
They got it right and he will learn. About all we can hope for

Fans' reaction?

I was being a little facetious, but it was obvious (loud roar) with the 2-point conversion I saw yesterday. Never know, though.
I wasn’t there, but I can only imagine the range of emotions from both the CG players and the fans after thinking you’ve won the game and then it was reversed minutes later.

Reactions: Gene K.
The video in this thread is not the issue it is the subsequent 2 pt conversion for those scoring at home (old baseball term) . As a former official I am not certain what the offical was doing as the mechanics on the TD were correct. Maybe he misread something and thought there was a pile in the middle on the 2 point play.

They got it right but mercy.

Reactions: Blacknight36

The crew involved is a semi-final crew and the wing on the field is a two time State Final official. High profile games as this don't get new officials, and they're usually handed out by assignors to other assigners as favors.

If that was a two-time state final wing, wow, certainly didn't look like it on that video. I'd love to hear his explanation of what he was doing on that play? And as someone that dons that stipes occasionally, I feel bad for him. Hard to believe he had a mental lapse at that point in the game. Hopefully they learn from it.

Playing Devil's Advocate ... we speak here about the shortage of refs because of Karens and Craigs abusing them. Imagine having unnamed peers ripping you apart, saved here on the Inter-Webs forever.
Not sure how you came to the conclusion that anyone was being ripped apart. Any official making constructive comments about mechanics or providing additional information would tell you the same critique happens weekly at association meetings where these kind of mistakes are discussed in order to prevent them from happening.

Playing Devil's Advocate ... we speak here about the shortage of refs because of Karens and Craigs abusing them. Imagine having unnamed peers ripping you apart, saved here on the Inter-Webs forever.
Sorry but if he cannot handle being criticized then that’s too bad. I’ve been an official going in year six. The only way I get better is reviewing if game film and self evals. If he isn’t watching his game tape or doing a self eval, it makes you wonder how he is in a playoff crew.

I’m sure it was as simple as a bad moment. Happens to us all. I’ve had my fair share.

I’m physically ill by how this play was officiated

... it allows for the backjudge to think he should be ruling and signaling on a pylon play that he shouldn’t have an opinion on. There’s really no defense for bad mechanics like this ...

I’m physically ill by how this play was officiated

... it allows for the backjudge to think he should be ruling and signaling on a pylon play that he shouldn’t have an opinion on. There’s really no defense for bad mechanics like this ...
And both of those comments are 100% accurate. I’m a back judge have been for 5 years. That is in no way his call - EVER! Finding out this is a veteran crew disturbs me. First year officials are not making this kind of mistake.

Reactions: big daddy looch
Playing Devil's Advocate ... we speak here about the shortage of refs because of Karens and Craigs abusing them. Imagine having unnamed peers ripping you apart, saved here on the Inter-Webs forever
I feel ya Crusader. It doesn’t feel comfortable saying anything that isn’t supporting them when most everyone else against us when the heat is on. I probably could have been kinder in my wording. In general I don’t think it’s fair to get on officials for judgement calls. Most officials would agree though we need to be sharp on our rules and mechanics because we control those things. When we don’t do them well our likelihood of getting the call correct goes down significantly and brings us more negative attention. I don’t necessarily agree with bringing their resumes into the mix but it is fair game to say this play should have been officiated better. I’m sure the individuals on it would agree and will use the experience to be sharper come playoff time

The crew involved is a semi-final crew and the wing on the field is a two time State Final official. High profile games as this don't get new officials, and they're usually handed out by assignors to other assigners as favors.
I'm sorry, how do you know this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT