ADVERTISEMENT

Effect of 8-Man Football

reaperup

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2016
I don't know the progress of the 8-man football proposal, but I read an article stating there were 35-45 1A schools willing to make the switch. With that many teams moving out of the pool of potential playoff teams, how do people see this effecting the classes moving forward? To me, I would assume that the sizes of schools in each class would go up, and the separation between the largest and smallest school in each class will widen.

It's getting closer to reexamining having 8 classes of football.....which was a mistake from the get go in my opinion.

So what do you think 8 man football and 7 classes basically just reshuffling the deck or 8 man football and 6 classes?

I think by just cutting one class the overall quality of the state series will be drastically improved.

Just further indication that football is a dying sport. Numbers will continue to decline.

Worst I saw this year were notre dames. White on white, green on green with a tiny outline of the number. Couldn't tell them apart.

So what do you think 8 man football and 7 classes basically just reshuffling the deck or 8 man football and 6 classes?

I think by just cutting one class the overall quality of the state series will be drastically improved.

Hard to say on the surface some have mentioned continued decline in overall numbers and just because you switch to 8 man doesn't mean you will attack any more overall numbers....

First, i agree with edgy that the move to 8 classes has resulted in a severe negative effect on Illinois football. On an off the field. Off the field, for those of you who have been around the board for the for the last 7 years: there was no public vs private debate. That debate is solely the result of the movement to 8 classes.

Second, IMO, i'd rather teams combine than move to 8 man football. Not sure if that is possible. But i think in theory, it's a better option.

Many of the co-op's are complete disasters.

When the "home" school is faced with the proposition of adding a handful of players from the "other" school, and the price is adding the entire enrollment, it's not typically a good deal.

See Watseka.

Many of the co-op's are complete disasters.

When the "home" school is faced with the proposition of adding a handful of players from the "other" school, and the price is adding the entire enrollment, it's not typically a good deal.

See Watseka.

Totally agree I would rather see schools go to 8 man rather then CO-OP and lose their identity. I think the overall numbers will be an issue for a few years but if struggling small school programs are having problems fielding teams and 8 man may prevent the from dropping football all together to me that is a win for football in IL.

Reactions: Cat Box
Totally agree I would rather see schools go to 8 man rather then CO-OP and lose their identity. I think the overall numbers will be an issue for a few years but if struggling small school programs are having problems fielding teams and 8 man may prevent the from dropping football all together to me that is a win for football in IL.

good intel to know.

Why not just have five man football... more points scored per stub! Not as many uniforms get dirty so you save on the laundry bill. Fewer concussions, less wear and tear on the artificial turf.

Why not just have five man football... more points scored per stub! Not as many uniforms get dirty so you save on the laundry bill. Fewer concussions, less wear and tear on the artificial turf.
One one one all time qb.

I'm not too sure about this coop situation. There must be rules surrounding it. IHSA has rules for everything.

What if teams that are already in 8A get some crazy idea to coop?

Cicero is 8000+ enrollment.

What if The 3 Valleys combined into one co-op team as football numbers drop? Same classification 8A and similiar enrollment size as the largest schools in IL, but I don't think that is the intent of the coop rule....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT