ADVERTISEMENT

Edited: Biggest Question: St. Rita Mustangs

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Thanks to the EDGY Nation posters for catching my earlier mistake when I missed the switch St. Rita will need to make this fall back to it's multiplied enrollment for this fall. The biggest question has been adjusted accordingly.

Team: St. Rita Mustangs

Biggest Question?

St. Rita and veteran head coach Todd Kuska has had a terrific run over the last few years in particular, as the Mustangs can make a case as being one of the top programs in Chicagoland over the last few years. Many North of I-80 felt that the Mustangs lost out on a potential Class 5A state title run this past spring under the COVID restricted football season.

The Biggest Question? Can St. Rita still win it all in Class 7A this coming fall?

St. Rita will be back to it's multiplied IHSA enrollment number which will place the Mustangs in most likely Class 7A., no longer being able to run rough shot over Class 5A in the post-season. Despite the bump up once again in enrollment, can this team compete and play with and hang with all of the bigger schools in Class 7A?

I say yes, and here's why.

St. Rita will again welcome back senior RB/WR Kaleb Brown, who for all opponents feels like he's been starting for the Mustangs since the mid 2000's. Yet it's more than just Kaleb Brown this fall including senior QB Tommy Ulatkowski who had a huge spring season and will give the Rita offense a legitimate play action passing game and a deep threat....something we haven't seen in a while. Also back for the Rita offense is all 5 starting offensive linemen led by senior OT Valen Erickson, senior OL Rocco Valenti and junior OL Colin Gerger. Whenever St Rita has an experienced offensive line back in the fold....be very concerned.

The defense for St. Rita also brings back some key names including a deep and veteran secondary including senior DB Brayden Hall, DB Liam Bartos plus DB Jake Lehtinen. The defensive line and the linebacker group is also represented with some experience names back, and the roster still has plenty of talent ready to step up and contribute. St. Rita always has depth and talent in the kicking game and the return game.

The regular season schedule is no question is a challenge with games against Mount Carmel, at Trinity Ky and at Loyola all within the first three weeks of the regular season. If the Mustangs can survive the first handful of weeks they will be more than tested and ready for a strong regular season finish.

I would love to see St. Rita stay in Class 5A for another run this fall and push it's way towards a deep run this fall. Yet even having to bump up to say 7A, this is still a very solid team that I feel will be able to make some big noise in the bigger classes this coming season. And yes.....St. Rita can be a serious contender for the Class 7A state title.

Your thoughts on the biggest question facing St. Rita?

Feel free to ask away here. I will also tease this out on the FREE Board as well....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News