ADVERTISEMENT

East st national rankings

Mateesen14

Nov 14, 2003
As a Chicagoan that doesn’t know the ins and outs of East Saint football program, I am having a hard time understanding why ESL isn’t ranked top 5 in the country pre-season. O-line they have top tackle in the country for 2023, and also 2nd ranked player in class as well. They have the top ranked WR in the country, they have a DB going to Clemson, a RB with offers to FSU and Auburn.
In addition to these blue chip players, it looks like between Jr and Sr class there are another dozen players that have offers or interest from D1 or FCS schools. I guess it will sort itself out playing SJB(CA) and IMG(FL), but I was just perplexed not seeing any preseason top 25 with them in it.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
As a Chicagoan that doesn’t know the ins and outs of East Saint football program, I am having a hard time understanding why ESL isn’t ranked top 5 in the country pre-season. O-line they have top tackle in the country for 2023, and also 2nd ranked player in class as well. They have the top ranked WR in the country, they have a DB going to Clemson, a RB with offers to FSU and Auburn.
In addition to these blue chip players, it looks like between Jr and Sr class there are another dozen players that have offers or interest from D1 or FCS schools. I guess it will sort itself out playing SJB(CA) and IMG(FL), but I was just perplexed not seeing any preseason top 25 with them in it.
My main issues are the DL and the LB....teams seemed to find a way to run the football against ESTL in the spring season and for all of the talent they have.....it seemed limited to me at those two key spots on defense. I also saw ESTL live in person last spring and will again see them this fall. Also not having a fall season hurt this state in so many ways including the overall perception of IHSA football.....I also don''t thin k ESTL is the top ranked team in Illinois for those reasons. Top 5? Sure.....Top 1? Not yet.

My main issues are the DL and the LB....teams seemed to find a way to run the football against ESTL in the spring season and for all of the talent they have.....it seemed limited to me at those two key spots on defense. I also saw ESTL live in person last spring and will again see them this fall. Also not having a fall season hurt this state in so many ways including the overall perception of IHSA football.....I also don''t thin k ESTL is the top ranked team in Illinois for those reasons. Top 5? Sure.....Top 1? Not yet.

BINGO :::::Those 2 area's right there. A good pass rusher and LB's that can hit and wrap up. They were making good contact in the spring but was not wrapping up. I saw a lot of tackle for losses turn into big gains.

The defensive secondary will be excellent.

It includes #14 STL Post Senior prospect Ahmad Robinson, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound corner, who, as the Post says, has an advantage his competitors don’t. He gets to drill against a five-star prospect every practice. Robinson and Luther Burden III, the consensus top-rated wide receiver in the nation, go against each other all the time in one-on-one drills.

“He’s tough to guard,” Robinson said. “I like that, he pushes me and I push him. We make each other better.”

Additionally, Toriano Pride, a senior cornerback for the East St. Louis High football team and one of the top-rated corners in the country, is the No. 3 recruit on the Post-Dispatch Super 30 countdown of the area’s top senior prospects.

The Clemson commit is 5-foot-11 and 184-pounds … but rarely practices against Luther Burden III. Apparently, Pride and Burden haven’t gone head to head much if at all in the preseason. Nevertheless, it has led to some friendly banter between the two standouts.

“The crazy thing is I don’t have to go against him ever,” Pride said with a smile. “It’s really me talking. He’ll just be laughing. He’ll say some stuff. I’m saying more slick stuff.”

Other senior Flyers in the Top 30 include #12: RB Ali Wells. We can assume LB3 will be number 1 on the list.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
The Flyers Defense used to be FEARED.
The game has changed so much, it’s tough to be a shut down defense when so many teams are throwing the ball so much and using spread offense. Alabama was a feared defense as well, but now we see them have a few games each season where they have to put up huge offensive numbers to win a game. I don’t think at an elite level we will see too many teams holding opponents under 10 points per game anymore.

Who was the last Illinois team to be ranked in the top 5 in the nation?
From what I could find, Maine South was the last Illinois team ranked in the top #5 in USA today. They finished the year at #5 in 2009. Teams who finished the year in the USA top 10 final rankings are:

83 ESL #4
84 ESL #2
85 ESL #1
86 Buffalo Grove #8
89 ESL #6
92 WWS #8
94 #10 PC
95 #9 PC
96 #6 MC
97 #10 Lincoln Way
99 #5 Nap Cen
99 #10 JCA
00 #10 JCA
03 #7 CoM
05 #9 LWE

From 2010-2019 I could only find mostly composite rankings, but i did not see any school from Illinois ranked in the top 10.

There is much more to having a great HS team than having it loaded with D1 recruits. I am not saying that this is the case with ESL, I'm just saying that the number of D1 players doesn't always translate to a great HS team. Just like there are great HS teams without D1 talent.

From what I could find, Maine South was the last Illinois team ranked in the top #5 in USA today. They finished the year at #5 in 2009. Teams who finished the year in the USA top 10 final rankings are:

83 ESL #4
84 ESL #2
85 ESL #1
86 Buffalo Grove #8
89 ESL #6
92 WWS #8
94 #10 PC
95 #9 PC
96 #6 MC
97 #10 Lincoln Way
99 #5 Nap Cen
99 #10 JCA
00 #10 JCA
03 #7 CoM
05 #9 LWE

From 2010-2019 I could only find mostly composite rankings, but i did not see any school from Illinois ranked in the top 10.

The old Wheaton Central was number 2 or 3 in the nation in 93 before they got upset by Boylan in the playoffs

I believe ESL got de from Clayton and a few dt from stl co schools. The kid from Clayton is a d1 kid, not sure about the others. But they did get some improvements in the front 7

83 ESL #4
84 ESL #2
85 ESL #1
86 Buffalo Grove #8
89 ESL #6
92 WWS #8
94 #10 PC
95 #9 PC
96 #6 MC
97 #10 Lincoln Way
99 #5 Nap Cen
99 #10 JCA
00 #10 JCA
03 #7 CoM
05 #9 LWE

This makes me wonder has @EdgyTim ever compiled an all time top ten teams of the Edgytim era? 1999sh-present? Maybe top 25 players of the era? How about a 25th anniversary Edgytim awards in a few years?

This would be fun to look at.

This makes me wonder has @EdgyTim ever compiled an all time top ten teams of the Edgytim era? 1999sh-present? Maybe top 25 players of the era? How about a 25th anniversary Edgytim awards in a few years?

This would be fun to look at.
Unfortunately we've gone thru a few different mergers and such so the older archives are no longer available....

With a stronger national slate this ESL team certainly has the chance to climb the rankings.

Tough part for IL teams has historically been the lack of games against out of state competition. CA, FL, TX, Ohio teams can get away with an intrastate schedule. IL can’t.

Reactions: Gene K.
With a stronger national slate this ESL team certainly has the chance to climb the rankings.

Tough part for IL teams has historically been the lack of games against out of state competition. CA, FL, TX, Ohio teams can get away with an intrastate schedule. IL can’t.
If they beat Bosco and IMG they'll probably be top 5. I'm just guessing though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT