ADVERTISEMENT

East Side lands another top receiver

Few transferred out .
This taken from another board.

East St. Louis is the most talented team in all of Illinois.

OFFENSE:
Quarterback: Tyler Macon (6-0 180-pounds)- 3-star
Running Back: DaMonta Witherspoon (5-9, 195-pounds) - First Team All-SWC
Wide Receiver: Antonio Johnson (6-3, 190-pounds) - Tennessee commit
Wide Receiver: Lawaun Powell (5-11, 192-pounds) - 4-star (First Team All-SWC)
Wide Receiver: Dominic Lovett (6-0, 175-pounds) - 3-star (First Team All-SWC)
Wide Receiver: Keontez Lewis (6-1, 170-pounds) - 3-star
Offensive Tackle: Kevon Billingsley (6-4, 275-pounds) - Mizzou commit
Offensive Guard: Javontez Spraggins 6-3, 300-pounds) - Tennessee commit
Offensive Guard: Tyreese Williams (6-2, 250-pounds)

DEFENSE:
Defensive End: Tilor Harris (6-3, 225-pounds) - 3-star
Defensive Tackle: Kendrick Scarbrough (6-0, 235-pounds) - First Team All-SWC
Defensive Tackle: Brian Bonnet (6-2, 250-pounds)
Defensive End: Kevon Billingsley (6-4, 275-pounds)
Linebacker: Darius Walker (6-3, 210-pounds) - 2-star
Linebacker: Derrion Perkins (6-1, 245-pounds)
Cornerback: Dylan Appleton (5-9, 169-pounds) - 2-star
Cornerback: Lawaun Powell(5-11, 192-pounds)
Strong Safety: DaMonta Witherspoon & Jalen Byrd (6-1, 185-pounds)
Free Safety: Antonio Johnson (6-3, 190-pounds) - First Team All-SWC

So much D1 talent across the board in all shapes and sizes. Macon still has something to prove at quarterback, but did a lot last season as a sophomore. If he improves his accuracy against the tougher opponents the Flyers will be unstoppable because they have a hell of a receiving core. Every one of them will play high-major D1 football and they have others below that could start for most teams. Witherspoon at running back will balance things and he should have plenty of room to run with the huge offensive line blocking for him. They lose two starters, including one who went to Iowa State, but they'll be fine there. On defense the Flyers probably have the best line in the state. They return two tackles and then got Harris and Billingsley to transfer in from St. Louis. It goes without saying they have had quite a few quality players transfer in.
To bad they will start the season 0 and 1

I couldn't remember because I'm getting old, but does ESL schedule start like this:

8/31 @Batavia
9/7 MO, Trinity Catholic
9/13 @Nauqua Valley

All.... A good question unless you're being facetious. (lol) Ratsy
I was being facetious but in all seriousness I was under the impression that this year's classification was based on LAST year's enrollment -- not sure how it works actually.

I couldn't remember because I'm getting old, but does ESL schedule start like this:

8/31 @Batavia
9/7 MO, Trinity Catholic
9/13 @Nauqua Valley

MaxPreps shows as below. Love the "Transfer Bowl" to wrap up the regular season!

I was being facetious but in all seriousness I was under the impression that this year's classification was based on LAST year's enrollment -- not sure how it works actually.
I think, but I'm not sure that:

this year's enrollment number is an average of the previous 2 years. (AKA: 2019 = the average of 2018 & 2017.)

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I think, but I'm not sure that:

this year's enrollment number is an average of the previous 2 years. (AKA: 2019 = the average of 2018 & 2017.)
Yeah I thought something similar to this too. In other words, the 2019 influx isn't really reflected until NEXT year. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Yes, I know a half dozen kids aren't even a rounding error (that's the facetious part) but much like stupidity of the success factor where kids are paying for "success" they may not have been a part of AND the actual culprits having graduated, this doesn't put the burden of the current situation where it belongs. Success factor penalizes in arrears. Enrollment changes only penalize like a credit card. Buy today, pay tomorrow.

Reactions: Gene K.
MaxPreps shows as below. Love the "Transfer Bowl" to wrap up the regular season!

Wow
That may be the toughest schedule I have seen. If they get through all those teams undefeated then I’m a believer. Still would love to see them play LWE.

Reactions: Mr. Speed
Lol
I don’t think so. Coach Z hammers home discipline.
It’s a staple at LWE. LHS your reaching with that reply.

So what game did ESL lose because of “Discipline”? Keep in mind this is your reason for ESL losing, not mine.

To be clear here is my point. LWE has lost to teams they were supposed to beat on paper just like ESL. What makes ESL lost any different than LWE?

Reactions: USD24
So what game did ESL lose because of “Discipline”? Keep in mind this is your reason for ESL losing, not mine.

To be clear here is my point. LWE has lost to teams they were supposed to beat on paper just like ESL. What makes ESL lost any different than LWE?

Actually it’s not my reply reread the post. net-se posted it I just agreed by saying bingo. I have no idea if ESL is a disciplined program but if they are not disciplined they will get them beat. I have said in other threads any team can be beat including LWE. This is HS so you never know on any given Friday night. I will say LWE doesn’t lose many games by not being disciplined. East may lose because the other team had more talent but East is a tough out and it’s because they are a very disciplined hard nosed football program. How many D-1 prospects does East put out each year? Not many, but they are always deep in the playoffs.

Go East!

Though it has been a few years now, I don't think LWE has ever held a team to negative yardage for the game and found a way to lose.

Reactions: almoore32
Though it has been a few years now, I don't think LWE has ever held a team to negative yardage for the game and found a way to lose.

So in your mind that discipline? A shanked punt is considered undisciplined? A kid made a mistake that gave them their ONLY touchdown. I’ve never seen an undisciplined team hold any team to negative yards.

This is equivalent to saying MC is undisciplined because they muffed the put against St Charles North.

Unfortunately this term is only one sided which is my issue. Alabama false started on the goal line in the championship game which was the turning point of the game. Is Alabama undisciplined?

Help me understand.

So in your mind that discipline? A shanked punt is considered undisciplined? A kid made a mistake that gave them their ONLY touchdown. I’ve never seen an undisciplined team hold any team to negative yards.

This is equivalent to saying MC is undisciplined because they muffed the put against St Charles North.

Unfortunately this term is only one sided which is my issue. Alabama false started on the goal line in the championship game which was the turning point of the game. Is Alabama undisciplined?

Help me understand.

My opinion. I believe players out of position not staying home so to speak or hot dogging is undisciplined. Example: DE not containing the edge, RB or Receivers show boating. LBs out of position. Mistakes will be made but being out of position or poor tackling is not disciplined football. Sometimes the so called D-1 talent like to cheat in HS because they think their better than they are and a less talented team that plays real team disciplined football can take advantage of the mistakes. It happens every year. I am not saying ESL plays this way, I don’t know them well enough to know but if the don’t play disciplined football then they will be beat even with all that talent.

My opinion. I believe players out of position not staying home so to speak or hot dogging is undisciplined. Example: DE not containing the edge, RB or Receivers show boating. LBs out of position. Mistakes will be made but being out of position or poor tackling is not disciplined football. Sometimes the so called D-1 talent like to cheat in HS because they think their better than they are and a less talented team that plays real team disciplined football can take advantage of the mistakes. It happens every year. I am not saying ESL plays this way, I don’t know them well enough to know but if the don’t play disciplined football then they will be beat even with all that talent.

I agree with most of it. I will add that D-1 players don’t automatically equal a good team. Unfortunately a lot of people feel differently.

I agree with most of it. I will add that D-1 players don’t automatically equal a good team. Unfortunately a lot of people feel differently.

Agree with you. Some people are blinded by the individual talent. Football is still a team sport and that’s why it’s not always the most talented team that wins state.

East St. Louis’ Special Teams (minus KO and Punt return) are well known for being mediocre to a straight up liability. Some years they may find a kid to boot the ball straigt on a KO or, at best be able to actually punt the ball down field, but most years these things appear to be nothing more than an afterthought for the Flyers.

Why is this an issue? A roster full of athletes year in and year out but can’t find kids to kick, punt, etc etc.

Against Granite City, Collinsville, shoot, the whole conference minus Edwardsville some years, not having a kicking game does not effect them. But against quality teams that play them close, its almost always a glaring weakness for ESL and they have straight up lost playoff games because they cannot even make an extra point.

They lost a first round playoff game to Edwardsville 21-19. They matched Edwardsville TD for TD but couldn’t line up and get that free point after each score.

Call that what you will, undisciplined or maybe not being a complete team, I don’t know. Most of the time they out athlete their opponent and so maybe they don’t feel the need to concentrate on that phase of the game. It’s bitten them in big games against teams they cannot just out athlete.

I know kids do not gravitate to the K/P positions, but I have to believe that if any real time was spent, every year, on at least getting a solid Extra point unit and a punter that can consistently kick the ball downfield, they could be a heck of a lot better in those areas.

A team that can make ESL’s offense put together drives (even if they score) instead of feasting on big plays, as well as controlling the clock and having a solid special teams ie a complete team, can beat ESL, because if history has shown us anything, it’s that the Flyers won’t care/don’t care about those issues until it’s too late and they are in a dog fight against a quality opponent.

In said game, even if they are in fg range, down 2 with 10 secs left and a 15 td FG wins it for them, I cannot think of a year they would have even tried. They would be forced to try to score the TD instead.

There are other examples I can give. Penalties for cracking back on returns are a common sight at Flyers games. Again, against Alton or East up 35 in the 3rd quarter, three kids peeling back and laying the boom on their opponent and getting flagged doesn’t effect you much, and def gets the crowd hyped, but that is the definition of undisciplined play. Flipping, cartwheeling into the end zone is another thing I’ve seen quite often. I personally don’t care about celebrating, I say let them have fun and celebrate, but it’s well known hat in high school football you can’t do flips or cartwheels or backpedal while taunting your opponent or even spike the ball. It’s a penalty. And while I haven’t seen them effected by this too much when they play tougher opponents, I gotta think that smirking and strutting around while players are blatantly getting these types of penalties in blow outs can def hurt teams when they are actually in a tough game.

Reactions: net-se
East St. Louis’ Special Teams (minus KO and Punt return) are well known for being mediocre to a straight up liability. Some years they may find a kid to boot the ball straigt on a KO or, at best be able to actually punt the ball down field, but most years these things appear to be nothing more than an afterthought for the Flyers.

Why is this an issue? A roster full of athletes year in and year out but can’t find kids to kick, punt, etc etc.

Against Granite City, Collinsville, shoot, the whole conference minus Edwardsville some years, not having a kicking game does not effect them. But against quality teams that play them close, its almost always a glaring weakness for ESL and they have straight up lost playoff games because they cannot even make an extra point.

They lost a first round playoff game to Edwardsville 21-19. They matched Edwardsville TD for TD but couldn’t line up and get that free point after each score.

Call that what you will, undisciplined or maybe not being a complete team, I don’t know. Most of the time they out athlete their opponent and so maybe they don’t feel the need to concentrate on that phase of the game. It’s bitten them in big games against teams they cannot just out athlete.

I know kids do not gravitate to the K/P positions, but I have to believe that if any real time was spent, every year, on at least getting a solid Extra point unit and a punter that can consistently kick the ball downfield, they could be a heck of a lot better in those areas.

A team that can make ESL’s offense put together drives (even if they score) instead of feasting on big plays, as well as controlling the clock and having a solid special teams ie a complete team, can beat ESL, because if history has shown us anything, it’s that the Flyers won’t care/don’t care about those issues until it’s too late and they are in a dog fight against a quality opponent.

In said game, even if they are in fg range, down 2 with 10 secs left and a 15 td FG wins it for them, I cannot think of a year they would have even tried. They would be forced to try to score the TD instead.

There are other examples I can give. Penalties for cracking back on returns are a common sight at Flyers games. Again, against Alton or East up 35 in the 3rd quarter, three kids peeling back and laying the boom on their opponent and getting flagged doesn’t effect you much, and def gets the crowd hyped, but that is the definition of undisciplined play. Flipping, cartwheeling into the end zone is another thing I’ve seen quite often. I personally don’t care about celebrating, I say let them have fun and celebrate, but it’s well known hat in high school football you can’t do flips or cartwheels or backpedal while taunting your opponent or even spike the ball. It’s a penalty. And while I haven’t seen them effected by this too much when they play tougher opponents, I gotta think that smirking and strutting around while players are blatantly getting these types of penalties in blow outs can def hurt teams when they are actually in a tough game.

You typed a lot but started off wrong. ESL has never lost to Edwardsville in the first round. They haven’t lost a first round game since 2002.

Now to talk about kicking. How many teams have kicker have to kick an extra point after running a 60 yard touchdown? I’ll wait. When you don’t have a soccer program you have to use your “athletes” to pull double and triple duty. You work with what you have. What ESL don’t do is make an excuse. The results of the game is based on the team and not one aspect of the team.

I don’t see too many complete teams in High School. Most teams will lack something. You are making a big deal out of kicking because it’s a weakness for ESL. The reality is they have won more than they lost without a kicking game. Since 2005, Eville in 2012 was the only team to beat them in the second round of the playoffs. Not too many people will be upset with Qtr or deeper every year. ‍♂️

Reactions: flyerforlife
You typed a lot but started off wrong. ESL has never lost to Edwardsville in the first round. They haven’t lost a first round game since 2002.

Now to talk about kicking. How many teams have kicker have to kick an extra point after running a 60 yard touchdown? I’ll wait. When you don’t have a soccer program you have to use your “athletes” to pull double and triple duty. You work with what you have. What ESL don’t do is make an excuse. The results of the game is based on the team and not one aspect of the team.

I don’t see too many complete teams in High School. Most teams will lack something. You are making a big deal out of kicking because it’s a weakness for ESL. The reality is they have won more than they lost without a kicking game. Since 2005, Eville in 2012 was the only team to beat them in the second round of the playoffs. Not too many people will be upset with Qtr or deeper every year. ‍♂️

Ok so it was the 2nd round.

I’d bet about half of the teams out their have their kicker pulling double duty in high school. It’s high school football man. A soccer program helps sure, especially when trying to find a good FG kicker. But you cannot convince me that if they actually spent 10 mins every day at the end of practice, 10 mins, they couldn’t find more than 1 kid that could kick an XP? It’s basically a free point.

You don’t have to convince me though because you also confirmed that due to it not effecting them 90 percent of the time, it’s an after thought.

I’m not really “making a big deal” out of it as much as I’m answering your question. You asked “what game” and I gave an example of a specific game where they lost by three because they couldn’t line up and kick an XP. Hey, I’ll concede it may never come into play this year for them, but if it does, it will no doubt be a phase of the game other teams (in close games with ESL) can and will exploit.

Reactions: net-se and USD24

I’d bet about half of the teams out their have their kicker pulling double duty in high school. It’s high school football man. A soccer program helps sure, especially when trying to find a good FG kicker. But you cannot convince me that if they actually spent 10 mins every day at the end of practice, 10 mins, they couldn’t find more than 1 kid that could kick an XP? It’s basically a free point.

You don’t have to convince me though because you also confirmed that due to it not effecting them 90 percent of the time, it’s an after thought.

I’m not really “making a big deal” out of it as much as I’m answering your question. You asked “what game” and I gave an example of a specific game where they lost by three because they couldn’t line up and kick an XP. Hey, I’ll concede it may never come into play this year for them, but if it does, it will no doubt be a phase of the game other teams (in close games with ESL) can and will exploit.

2016 Had no kicker at all what were the results?

Nothing to concede. The game you are taking about ESL was winning 12-0. Turnovers cost them game period!

To help with your lack of complete understanding, ESL has a kicking coach who kicked at the college level! Kicking is a skill set just like other positions on the field! Your theory is incorrect and you are way off base. It’s easier to ask versus assume.

Last edited:
Not too many actually good kicking games in HS, period. Some worse than others and especially certain demographics. It is what it is. I don't know that a bad kicking game is an indication of discipline. I think a better indication of discipline is success, I don't think you can be undisciplined and successful in football.

People's perceptions are something other than the fact of the matter.

Yeah I thought something similar to this too. In other words, the 2019 influx isn't really reflected until NEXT year. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Yes, I know a half dozen kids aren't even a rounding error (that's the facetious part) but much like stupidity of the success factor where kids are paying for "success" they may not have been a part of AND the actual culprits having graduated, this doesn't put the burden of the current situation where it belongs. Success factor penalizes in arrears. Enrollment changes only penalize like a credit card. Buy today, pay tomorrow.

Culprits? That's a nice term for players who gave their all and more likely than not busted their tail ends to be successful. The only reason the current players are"paying the price" is not because of the former players/team being successful, but because the IHSA in its infinite wisdom (?) decided to penalize a bunch of 15-17 year old kids for having success.

P.S. In discussions I have had, some have advocated for the "success adjustment" for everyone, or at least have it applied to non-boundaried schools with the stipulation that the multiplier will be eliminated.

In the first proposal, you would still be punishing teams/players for being successful, be they boundaried or not. While still flawed as far as the punishment aspect is concerned, the second case would at least eliminate the double hit to non-boundaried schools.

I know that any proposal is going to have pros and cons, and that as long as both non-boundaried and boundaried schools play each other and are not put into separate groups, the arguments for and against will continue. My major point is that success needs to be encouraged, not punished.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT