ADVERTISEMENT

East Side lands another top receiver

rink62221

Jan 17, 2019
It seems Belleville West three-star receiver Dominic Lovett did not show up to the Maroons' summer drills and appears to be set to play for East St. Louis this fall.
As recruiting sites and his own social media list him as being a member of the Flyers in the upcoming season.
He's listed as a three-star recruit and reports said he turned in an impressive performance at a University of Alabama camp during the summer.
https://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article233094002.html

Is there any more 'old news', 'transfers' or new players the Flyers have added this off season that you can share with us?

Few transferred out .
This taken from another board.

East St. Louis is the most talented team in all of Illinois.

OFFENSE:
Quarterback: Tyler Macon (6-0 180-pounds)- 3-star
Running Back: DaMonta Witherspoon (5-9, 195-pounds) - First Team All-SWC
Wide Receiver: Antonio Johnson (6-3, 190-pounds) - Tennessee commit
Wide Receiver: Lawaun Powell (5-11, 192-pounds) - 4-star (First Team All-SWC)
Wide Receiver: Dominic Lovett (6-0, 175-pounds) - 3-star (First Team All-SWC)
Wide Receiver: Keontez Lewis (6-1, 170-pounds) - 3-star
Offensive Tackle: Kevon Billingsley (6-4, 275-pounds) - Mizzou commit
Offensive Guard: Javontez Spraggins 6-3, 300-pounds) - Tennessee commit
Offensive Guard: Tyreese Williams (6-2, 250-pounds)

DEFENSE:
Defensive End: Tilor Harris (6-3, 225-pounds) - 3-star
Defensive Tackle: Kendrick Scarbrough (6-0, 235-pounds) - First Team All-SWC
Defensive Tackle: Brian Bonnet (6-2, 250-pounds)
Defensive End: Kevon Billingsley (6-4, 275-pounds)
Linebacker: Darius Walker (6-3, 210-pounds) - 2-star
Linebacker: Derrion Perkins (6-1, 245-pounds)
Cornerback: Dylan Appleton (5-9, 169-pounds) - 2-star
Cornerback: Lawaun Powell(5-11, 192-pounds)
Strong Safety: DaMonta Witherspoon & Jalen Byrd (6-1, 185-pounds)
Free Safety: Antonio Johnson (6-3, 190-pounds) - First Team All-SWC

So much D1 talent across the board in all shapes and sizes. Macon still has something to prove at quarterback, but did a lot last season as a sophomore. If he improves his accuracy against the tougher opponents the Flyers will be unstoppable because they have a hell of a receiving core. Every one of them will play high-major D1 football and they have others below that could start for most teams. Witherspoon at running back will balance things and he should have plenty of room to run with the huge offensive line blocking for him. They lose two starters, including one who went to Iowa State, but they'll be fine there. On defense the Flyers probably have the best line in the state. They return two tackles and then got Harris and Billingsley to transfer in from St. Louis. It goes without saying they have had quite a few quality players transfer in.

Last edited:
Funny how suddenly East St Louis is the only school in Illinois with high profile transfers now....um...hate to tell you but...never mind.
I know a couple transfers that need to come back to where the grass is green (turf is black) and cooking is home. Florida State offers and what-not

Funny how suddenly East St Louis is the only school in Illinois with high profile transfers now....um...hate to tell you but...never mind.
You delete all the other mentions... so... umm... we can all never mind!

I have no issue with discussing the transfer subject...yet what I have an issue is when people start to critique kids about the decision aka start getting personal discussing a situation that involved a minor etc...sorry will delete it and will continue to delete it. Sadly in literally every case someone goes over the line and I'm left with zero choice. Would love for you to stay but if you don't like my policy and the way I handle these very sensitive issues...um....well...

Few transferred out .

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

So much D1 talent across the board in all shapes and sizes. Macon still has something to prove at quarterback, but did a lot last season as a sophomore. If he improves his accuracy against the tougher opponents the Flyers will be unstoppable because they have a hell of a receiving core. Every one of them will play high-major D1 football and they have others below that could start for most teams. Witherspoon at running back will balance things and he should have plenty of room to run with the huge offensive line blocking for him. They lose two starters, including one who went to Iowa State, but they'll be fine there. On defense the Flyers probably have the best line in the state. They return two tackles and then got Harris and Billingsley to transfer in from St. Louis. It goes without saying they have had quite a few quality players transfer in.
Javontez Spraggins...best name in IL football?

I really don’t see anything special about it. There have been Spraggings playin ball in the area for generations - might be the same like of folks.

A name like Nick Nasty, that was a great name.

Dergo, which was usually said with the same awe and wonderment as Drago (a la Rocky IV), was a great name.

For the SWC, the young man’s name is no more exotic than Baird “Trey” Oliver III, in the NW suburbs. (Trey is a Euro-sounding name I made up - there is no such person who I am aware of presently.)

Reactions: Gene K.
There was a Cahokia athlete by the name of Spraggins when I was in school. Decent at running the football - but was a 135-ish wrestler who was more chiseled than I have ever seen in a high school athlete before or since. Effing Freakingly strong! He either won or placed during those years when Cahokia was an annual title contender.

I have no issue with discussing the transfer subject...yet what I have an issue is when people start to critique kids about the decision aka start getting personal discussing a situation that involved a minor etc...sorry will delete it and will continue to delete it. Sadly in literally every case someone goes over the line and I'm left with zero choice. Would love for you to stay but if you don't like my policy and the way I handle these very sensitive issues...um....well...
Whatever keeps your hat white. We'll agree to disagree then.

There was a Cahokia athlete by the name of Spraggins when I was in school. Decent at running the football - but was a 135-ish wrestler who was more chiseled than I have ever seen in a high school athlete before or since. Effing Freakingly strong! He either won or placed during those years when Cahokia was an annual title contender.
Meechco(sp) son played at west

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Few transferred out .

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

I would be careful when using words like unstoppable. Lol
I have seen many teams loaded with D1 talent not live up to expectation. IE: LWE last year. No team is unbeatable just ask Iggy about HF. ;)

Reactions: Gene K.
I would be careful when using words like unstoppable. Lol
I have seen many teams loaded with D1 talent not live up to expectation. IE: LWE last year. No team is unbeatable just ask Iggy about HF. ;)

I agree... This was taken from another board. My thing is the game is played on the field not behind a computer or cellphone.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I know the games have to be played, but that is a LOT of D1 talent! Why aren't they playing up again? I knew it was talked about but I didn't catch it.

I know the games have to be played, but that is a LOT of D1 talent! Why aren't they playing up again? I knew it was talked about but I didn't catch it.
The SWC teams made a rule that no one in the conference can petition up ... they did not like losing to ESL in the first round of the 7A playoffs.

AND/OR, the ADs figured with ESL playing "down," it might stem the tide of transfers. Does not seem to be working ...

Of note - and some of you sallies will take this the wrong way - the SWC schools are wising up with coaching hires. I do not think it is a coincidence that all new SWC coaches - East, West, Granite, O'Fallon - all hired black head coaches this year.

Reactions: net-se and Odirty
I really don’t see anything special about it. There have been Spraggings playin ball in the area for generations - might be the same like of folks.

A name like Nick Nasty, that was a great name.

Dergo, which was usually said with the same awe and wonderment as Drago (a la Rocky IV), was a great name.

For the SWC, the young man’s name is no more exotic than Baird “Trey” Oliver III, in the NW suburbs. (Trey is a Euro-sounding name I made up - there is no such person who I am aware of presently.)

How about a Wildcat / Wildcat / Cardinal running back named Damien?

All.... The 5A/6A scenerio is an interesting one for the Flyers. Ever since the rumor (no longer) that ESL would not be allowed to petition up into 7A was being talked about a few months back I started looking at their returning roster. Loaded as everyone has mentioned.

I've only watched them once many years ago playing one of the Belleville teams in their conference.
It's really not relative since that's way in the past but what I noticed was the offense would run 5 or 6 plays with a stop us if you can mentality. You knew what was coming by the end of the first quarter.

Now this Belleville squad managed to keep it close for the entire game without giving up too many big plays which did occur. And they eeked out the victory when ESL in that last quarter had to run plays out of their play calling comfort zone.

I don't believe until late in the season everyone will know being a "bubble team" enrollment wise where they will land in postseason action. Below are the numbers in the last 3 seasons in Class 5 and 6 of the qualifiers for the playoffs. Currently the Flyers are at 1262.00. Ratsy

5A ....

2016 - 804.00 -1307.00
2017 - 911.00 -1392.00
2018 - 767.00 -1277.00

6A ....

2016 - 1308.00 - 1787.00
2017 - 1393.00 - 1888.00
2018 - 1278.00 - 1792.00

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT