ADVERTISEMENT

Early Favs Anybody?

All.... It appears Steve Soucie in his recent article comes to the same conclusion. Should SHG (and it appears that way) after being multiplied is 5A the SF is moot and does not apply because of the two class jump rule. Ratsy
In other words, the multiplier will likely put SHG in 5A, but if it doesn’t for some weird reason, the SF will put them in 5A. No double bump, and guaranteed 5A.

Reactions: RockSoup
week 4 at Rita next season
I loved the excitement of week 1 at MC this year just not the outcome. Had the weather been close to 50 or above it would have been the same this past Saturday. I think week 4 is a sweet spot for this game. Just guessing someone will televise this as their game of the week. I can see both Jordan Lynch and Marty Hopkins interviewed as past players who played against each other and are now coaching in this game.

8A - Very difficult pick, but I'll go with Loyola in a super close one. Easily the best team I've seen this year.
7A - I watched some of the struggle against St. Rita, but I believe the hype. Mt. Carmel
6A - I watched last weeks game and the QB for PR is a stud, but if the Flyers only have to worry about one player, it'll probably get ugly. Lots of 3 and outs for PR offense means their defense will get tired and break against a capable ESL offense. ESL
5A - Peoria
4A - SHG
3A - ICC
2A - St. Teresa
1A - LW

I loved the excitement of week 1 at MC this year just not the outcome. Had the weather been close to 50 or above it would have been the same this past Saturday. I think week 4 is a sweet spot for this game. Just guessing someone will televise this as their game of the week. I can see both Jordan Lynch and Marty Hopkins interviewed as past players who played against each other and are now coaching in this game.
We can go over everything after the title games. I am sure the new divisions will be released soon. *Week 9 is SR @ BR.

Naz still in 5A next year ?
All.... 5A likely. They were the 5th largest team among the 32 postseason qualifiers announced in class 5A. The only unknown X factor would be enrollment growth. One must remember the new two year enrollment cycle comes out next year. If the Roadrunners had large growth over those two years it's possible they could end up in class 6A (when the qualifiers are announced) as one of the smaller enrollment schools. Ratsy

I believe so, because they are already multiplied to 5A in football.
All.... 5A likely. They were the 5th largest team among the 32 postseason qualifiers announced in class 5A. The only unknown X factor would be enrollment growth. One must remember the new two year enrollment cycle comes out next year. If the Roadrunners had large growth over those two years it's possible they could end up in class 6A (when the qualifiers are announced) as one of the smaller enrollment schools. Ratsy
Ratsy has the pulse on the situation. I would just add:

1) Post-covid enrollments (this upcoming enrollment cycle average being the first that we see the effect if any) will be a more interesting enrollment tally than most years. There could (and I emphasize, could) be larger than normal regional swings, larger than normal open enrollment swings (swings could be larger down or up, sure more open covid policies helped but real family economic situations may have suffered pressuring private enrollments down to what extent we won't know until December) And finally, in the post covid tally, overall school enrollments' moving average should (and I emphasize should) or could trend downward. Meaning, Nazareth with their current multiplied enrollment being on the high side of 5A may not need that big of an increase in enrollment that Ratsy implied to be classified as 6A.

2) The IHSA site has the release of the new classifications scheduled for release in December of this year since they have all the information they need now (fall housing ISBE report and success factored teams since results of this week's games don't affect that status. But as discussed earlier the only team subject to the SF is SHG and they should be exempt from it). So we should know in the next month and not next year where all the teams fall.

You rang?

I see it as a hard-fought game. Unneeded chippiness between both teams, leads to an ugly 7-7 or something half. The talent, focus and execution improves in the second half for the Caravan and a bigger result happens that belies how close the game was if that makes sense. Like I have 28-10 stuck in my head but it's a close 28-10 where MC pulls away at the endI see it as an overall ugly game with MC winning handily. As a result of the MC controlling the game, the possibility exists for frustration to play out on the Batavia side.

If MC dominates the game from the beginning, and due to the way that last year's round two playoff game between these two schools played out, and especially if Batavia is called for more penalties than usual in this rematch, the possibility becomes greater for frustration to play out in an ugly way on the Batavia side. I hope MC wins, but I hope I'm wrong about the other stuff.

Ratsy has the pulse on the situation. I would just add:

1) Post-covid enrollments (this upcoming enrollment cycle average being the first that we see the effect if any) will be a more interesting enrollment tally than most years. There could (and I emphasize, could) be larger than normal regional swings, larger than normal open enrollment swings (swings could be larger down or up, sure more open covid policies helped but real family economic situations may have suffered pressuring private enrollments down to what extent we won't know until December) And finally, in the post covid tally, overall school enrollments' moving average should (and I emphasize should) or could trend downward. Meaning, Nazareth with their current multiplied enrollment being on the high side of 5A may not need that big of an increase in enrollment that Ratsy implied to be classified as 6A.

2) The IHSA site has the release of the new classifications scheduled for release in December of this year since they have all the information they need now (fall housing ISBE report and success factored teams since results of this week's games don't affect that status. But as discussed earlier the only team subject to the SF is SHG and they should be exempt from it). So we should know in the next month and not next year where all the teams fall.
All.... I don't know if the Ihsa will be able to make the SF call as it applies to SHG till the 2023 qualifiers are announced. They will be 5A regardless. But their early multiplied enrollment is going to be very close to that 4A/5A cut line. And of course the Ihsa does mention that school enrollments don't necessarily reflect what class a team will be in until the 256 postseason teams are announced.

Well it actually does for 98 percent of those schools who who are firmly entrenched into a particular class using past traditional numbers. It's those bubble teams that are close to two classes that drives everyone nuts. I think the Ihsa will footnote for SHG something to the extent it will be one or the other. Fwiw. Ratsy

If MC dominates the game from the beginning, and due to the way that last year's round two playoff game between these two schools played out, and especially if Batavia is called for more penalties than usual in this rematch, the possibility becomes greater for frustration to play out in an ugly way on the Batavia side. I hope MC wins, but I hope I'm wrong about the other stuff.
Great point. But I would add MC's recent reputation whether rightly or incorrectly gained, does not exempt them from a potential penalty problem. Seeing Coach Lynch's tone in the St. Rita game post-game interviews, you know it will be highly emphasized at practice. But the walking towards a player after a big hit, using opponent's bodies to get off the ground, the rolling over the pile doesn't do anything for their game and has to stop today because I can see the officials' tolerance for non-football crap by both teams being very low. Good luck to both teams, keep it snap to whistle, and don't let your teammates down.

Last edited:
Great point. But I would add MC's recent style of play does not exempt them from a potential penalty problem. Seeing Coach Lynch's tone in the St. Rita game post-game interviews, you know it will be highly emphasized at practice. But the walking towards a player after a big hit, using opponent's bodies to get off the ground, the rolling over the pile doesn't do anything for their game and has to stop today because I can see the officials' tolerance for non-football crap by both teams being very low. Good luck to both teams, keep it snap to whistle, and don't let your teammates down.
Completely agree. My point was more about the hype (both in public and what we don't see/hear about) surrounding the game and what could happen if the score gets out of hand.

They should petition up imo
The conference that ESL plays in, Southwestern Conference, all voted to not allow ESL to petition up beyond 1 class, which is why we are limited to 6A, while having an enrollment equivalent to 5A. We had been competing in 7A for years with a lot of success, but it’s just an example of how certain demographics bode unfavorably when in any way “subjected” to the majority. This concern has been mentioned on this board in times past, just FYI.

The conference that ESL plays in, Southwestern Conference, all voted to not allow ESL to petition up beyond 1 class, which is why we are limited to 6A, while having an enrollment equivalent to 5A. We had been competing in 7A for years with a lot of success, but it’s just an example of how certain demographics bode unfavorably when in any way “subjected” to the majority. This concern has been mentioned on this board in times past, just FYI.
That’s interesting I didn’t know that . But I really wonder how good east side is gonna be next year since y’all are losing a good amount of starters . Specifically on that Oline

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
That’s interesting I didn’t know that . But I really wonder how good east side is gonna be next year since y’all are losing a good amount of starters . Specifically on that Oline
Well, no one can truly know, but I’ll just say that we have had a lot of success that dates back past the current O-line. In addition, most of the current skilled players are Sophomores and Juniors. My prediction is that we will be fine.

All.... Does anyone know where you can watch (access) the full Ihsa pairings show back from October? Thanks. Ratsy

Great point. But I would add MC's recent style of play does not exempt them from a potential penalty problem. Seeing Coach Lynch's tone in the St. Rita game post-game interviews, you know it will be highly emphasized at practice. But the walking towards a player after a big hit, using opponent's bodies to get off the ground, the rolling over the pile doesn't do anything for their game and has to stop today because I can see the officials' tolerance for non-football crap by both teams being very low. Good luck to both teams, keep it snap to whistle, and don't let your teammates down.
I see the officials calling a tight game and will not allow any nonsense. Batavia might be playing with a chip on their shoulder. Both teams need to address this ALL week at practice. Teams that play with too much emotion become susceptible to misdirection plays, reverses, and missing tackles trying to lay the wood to the ball carrier. I'll bet dollars to donuts Jordan Lynch hammers that into a couple of players heads this week to let the scoreboard do the talking not your mouth. MC should win by a good couple of scores.

Last edited:
8A LWE
7A Mt. Carmel
6A Prairie Ridge
5A Peoria Central
4A SHG
3A ICCP
2A St. Teresa
1A Lena-Winslow

The penalties have definitely been a problem as the season progressed especially since round 2 of the playoffs for MC. Always appreciate your insight and the respect you show to other posters and schools. But let’s not pretend these types of penalties you mentioned are exclusive to MC. And I hope you’re not suggesting your beloved St. Rita is above these types of penalties? I can assure you they are not. The problem is, when a team starts getting a reputation for penalties it makes the situation with refs worse. St. Rita is every bit as aggressive as MC kids are in the football field and emotions get the best of all of them. I don’t condone it just saying it’s not exclusive to MC. Worst call of the night was that targeting penalty on MC on Novickas interception return for a touchdown. As I said, when a team gets this reputation it makes it worse with the officials.

Reactions: PJD1970
The penalties have definitely been a problem as the season progressed especially since round 2 of the playoffs for MC. Always appreciate your insight and the respect you show to other posters and schools. But let’s not pretend these types of penalties you mentioned are exclusive to MC. And I hope you’re not suggesting your beloved St. Rita is above these types of penalties? I can assure you they are not. The problem is, when a team starts getting a reputation for penalties it makes the situation with refs worse. St. Rita is every bit as aggressive as MC kids are in the football field and emotions get the best of all of them. I don’t condone it just saying it’s not exclusive to MC. Worst call of the night was that targeting penalty on MC on Novickas interception return for a touchdown. As I said, when a team gets this reputation it makes it worse with the officials.
Fair enough.

St. Rita players, no cheap shots on your uncles and cousins in the family turkey bowl this weekend.

Fair enough.

St. Rita players, no cheap shots on your uncles and cousins in the family turkey bowl this weekend.
I’m guilty of taking things in the literal sense. Sounds condescending ? Something tells me you disagree.

I’m guilty of taking things in the literal sense. Sounds condescending ? Something tells me you disagree.
All good. Just didn’t mention one set of teenagers because they aren’t playing this weekend. Yes, emotional teenagers do stupid stuff on the football field. Don’t do stupid stuff.

Or DM me so I know what you want me to say

Reactions: Vincennes6410
All good. Just didn’t mention one set of teenagers because they aren’t playing this weekend. Yes, emotional teenagers do stupid stuff on the football field. Don’t do stupid stuff.

Or DM me so I know what you want me to say
Fair enough. I understand you were referring to the team playing this weekend and what transpired on the field at St. Rita as far as penalties. No excuse for a few of them on MC’s part and they had better clean it up moving forward. I whole heartedly agree. I just detected a hint of the St. Rita boys were more disciplined and better coached and above committing penalties? Specifically “MC’s style of play”. As if MC plays dirty? My mistake if that’s not what you implied. I just wanted to point out that’s not the case. No need for a private message.

Fair enough. I understand you were referring to the team playing this weekend and what transpired on the field at St. Rita as far as penalties. No excuse for a few of them on MC’s part and they had better clean it up moving forward. I whole heartedly agree. I just detected a hint of the St. Rita boys were more disciplined and better coached and above committing penalties? Specifically “MC’s style of play”. As if MC plays dirty? My mistake if that’s not what you implied. I just wanted to point out that’s not the case. No need for a private message.
Good point. I would be irked too with the ‘style of play’ comment. I’ll edit it soon enough. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a great weekend!

Spoiler alert...no one picked Naz or Peoria and therefore have found themselves on Santa's naughty list.

• Haha
Reactions: iamgroot
I was referring to the pairings breakdown crew. I know you wouldn't do something as blasphemous as to pick against The Beloved

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT