ADVERTISEMENT

Deerfield in the Semi's!

I remember Deerfield and St Laurence having very memorable semi-final games in almost back-to-back years. In 1977, St Laurence was the defending 5A state champs (largest class at that time) but fell to Deerfield 14-0. Deerfield was able to stop the vaunted wishbone/option running attack of the Vikings. In 1979, St Laurence revenged that defeat with a come-from-behind win 17-14. A late pick 6 and game winning FG for St L for the win. The Vikes then went on to lose to East St Louis in the finals by a score of 20-14 (a Viking unforced turnover near mid-field in the final minute!!)
Both semi-finals were played at Gately Stadium (St L hosted but normally played their home games at Reavis at the time). Big crowds at Gately by both teams! 40 years ago wow!!!!

Last edited:
I remember Paul Adams talk about how he was absolutely against passing the ball. Does this new era Deerfield team spread it out or try to run it down your throat? Curious to see how this team matches up with PR.

I remember Paul Adams talk about how he was absolutely against passing the ball. Does this new era Deerfield team spread it out or try to run it down your throat? Curious to see how this team matches up with PR.
I am guessing it will be a running clock

Yes, PA was run first! This Deerfield team is a spread, mainly passing.

I remember Deerfield and St Laurence having very memorable semi-final games in almost back-to-back years. In 1977, St Laurence was the defending 5A state champs (largest class at that time) but fell to Deerfield 14-0. Deerfield was able to stop the vaunted wishbone/option running attack of the Vikings. In 1979, St Laurence revenged that defeat with a come-from-behind win 17-14. A late pick 6 and game winning FG for St L for the win. The Vikes then went on to lose to East St Louis in the finals by a score of 20-14 (a Viking unforced turnover near mid-field in the final minute!!)
Both semi-finals were played at Gately Stadium (St L hosted but normally played their home games at Reavis at the time). Big crowds at Gately by both teams! 40 years ago wow!!!!
Attended both semi-final games. The 77 game(freezing cold) was a defensive gem by Deerfield led by All-State DT John Murphy, 5'9" 180. The 79 game was exciting. Deerfield kind of blew it. Shouldn't have passed the ball.
Hopefully, this Saturday will be an exciting one and not a blow out!

Reactions: ignazio
PR should have this one in hand by 1/2 time.

The following week will be a whole other story.

Attended both semi-final games. The 77 game(freezing cold) was a defensive gem by Deerfield led by All-State DT John Murphy, 5'9" 180. The 79 game was exciting. Deerfield kind of blew it. Shouldn't have passed the ball.
Hopefully, this Saturday will be an exciting one and not a blow out!
The kid who made the interception (linebacker) also made the winning FG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT