ADVERTISEMENT

D3 Football

It sounds like Wheaton and NCC have both had a decent amount of players withdraw from the 2nd semester so they can finish up their degrees next year and get their last year of football in the fall without the expense. I'm guessing that is why these schools opted out since both have legitimate National title hopes in the fall and are looking to come back healthy.
This is absolutely correct. Even some D2 & D1 are choosing not to play this spring

Money is always the ultimate factor. Especially with D1 athletics.

should just leave it alone but...if money were the Issue why did the big10 & pac 12 only reluctantly play this year? And only 6 games?

if anyone in the entire NCAA needs the money from football it’s the MAC and they only reluctantly played a 5 game season.

if money is the real issue, why were half the bowls cancelled?

should just leave it alone but...if money were the Issue why did the big10 & pac 12 only reluctantly play this year? And only 6 games?

if anyone in the entire NCAA needs the money from football it’s the MAC and they only reluctantly played a 5 game season.

Because playing 1/2 the games was better than playing none of the games. If money wasn't important, why did they play at all?

Bowl games were cancelled becuase they were going to lose money. Most rely on teams spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on tickets whether they are used or not. PAC 12 and Big 10 played because they would have missed out on Playoff and or BCS game bowl Money.

Because playing 1/2 the games was better than playing none of the games. If money wasn't important, why did they play at all?

Saying that B10 and P12 played because they needed the money is revisionist history they only played due to being shamed into it by the other Power 5 conferences.

Reactions: colin2229
Saying that B10 and P12 played because they needed the money is revisionist history they only played due to being shamed into it by the other Power 5 conferences.
Yes, they were shamed, however, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have caved if it wasn't for the money.

Reactions: redmen85

BC they wanted to. It's that simple.

Everyone should have play football this fall. There is always a risk. They knew the risks and were ok with playing.

Yes, they were shamed, however, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have caved if it wasn't for the money.

They knew the financial hurt that would take place if they(Big10) didn't play and they chose not to. After being publicly embarrassed on the national media for weeks. After their own coaches calling them out and after a group of parents made the trip to chicago to protest....they finally caved.

It wasn't about the money. Let's not let our screwed up, self-centered, greedy, etc....world distort what is great about football. Football is what's right with our world - politics and money is what is wrong. The coaches and players wanted to play. They knew the risk and said it was worth the risk to play (there is always a risk when playing - that's why there is an ambulance outside the EZ for every game).

It's that simple - the players and coaches wanted to play. Everything else that is going on is total PR hogwash. It's safe to play and there is zero data to say otherwise. Period. End of Story.

The Big 10 could have played a spring season and done just fine financially. There were other options.

Reactions: ClownBaby
They knew the financial hurt that would take place if they(Big10) didn't play and they chose not to. After being publicly embarrassed on the national media for weeks. After their own coaches calling them out and after a group of parents made the trip to chicago to protest....they finally caved.

It wasn't about the money. Let's not let our screwed up, self-centered, greedy, etc....world distort what is great about football. Football is what's right with our world - politics and money is what is wrong. The coaches and players wanted to play. They knew the risk and said it was worth the risk to play (there is always a risk when playing - that's why there is an ambulance outside the EZ for every game).

It's that simple - the players and coaches wanted to play. Everything else that is going on is total PR hogwash. It's safe to play and there is zero data to say otherwise. Period. End of Story.
Once again, I disagree.

Reactions: colin2229
Bama is going to have 100% capacity in the fall. Glad to see level heads finally prevailing.

Alabama also has the lowest rate of residents getting the vaccination - 13%.

interesting

Reactions: sporthog9er
Bama is going to have 100% capacity in the fall. Glad to see level heads finally prevailing.

Alabama also has the lowest rate of residents getting the vaccination - 13%.

interesting

I have a daughter there and am glad that they are looking to go full capacity for classes in the fall.

FWIW, the general population of the state of Alabama does not mirror the population of the Univ of Alabama in any way.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I have a daughter there and am glad that they are looking to go full capacity for classes in the fall.

FWIW, the general population of the state of Alabama does not mirror the population of the Univ of Alabama in any way.
I'm always amazed how many kids from up here choose to go down to Bama. It never crossed my mind to look down south.

I'm always amazed how many kids from up here choose to go down to Bama. It never crossed my mind to look down south.

Bama does a ton of recruiting in the Chicago area. If you have the right grades and test scores, it is a fantastic/inexpensive option. My daughter is a junior there, and we could not be happier with her experience.

I recall an article a couple of years ago that stated 1600 kids from Illinois enrolled at bam and full scholarships were offered to a couple of hundred of those kids. In addition the number of HS students attending school out state was close to 50%. I know our kids school has quite a few students going to various SEC schools which Baka and Ole Miss having the most

I recall an article a couple of years ago that stated 1600 kids from Illinois enrolled at bam and full scholarships were offered to a couple of hundred of those kids. In addition the number of HS students attending school out state was close to 50%. I know our kids school has quite a few students going to various SEC schools which Baka and Ole Miss having the most
Bama, Kentucky and Tennessee are popular at ours.

Over 50% of Bama's enrollement now comes from out of state. If you have a certain GPA and ACT score, you automatically receive a full tuition scholarship.

Over 50% of Bama's enrollement now comes from out of state. If you have a certain GPA and ACT score, you automatically receive a full tuition scholarship.
I heard they pulled the reins in some on that initiative just a very few years back. Can anyone verify this?

Bama does a ton of recruiting in the Chicago area. If you have the right grades and test scores, it is a fantastic/inexpensive option. My daughter is a junior there, and we could not be happier with her experience.
Admission rep from Alabama told me that the University needs smart northerners to replace the smart Alabama students who go up North for college. Not sure if it was said tongue in cheek but makes sense.

Admission rep from Alabama told me that the University needs smart northerners to replace the smart Alabama students who go up North for college. Not sure if it was said tongue in cheek but makes sense.
With all the remote learning in the last year across many northern states, the southern states may have to reconsider their standards.

ADVERTISEMENT