ADVERTISEMENT

D3 Football Playoffs

I don't think that NCC is competing with the best of D3, maybe that next tier of teams that are missing the playoffs.
Im guessing you meant D2. UW Lacrosse had a lead on Grand Valley State and competed throughout. Grand Valley was in the D2 playoffs. I'm not saying they'd win but I think they'd be in a lot of games at that level.

Reactions: atrain97
Im guessing you meant D2. UW Lacrosse had a lead on Grand Valley State and competed throughout. Grand Valley was in the D2 playoffs. I'm not saying they'd win but I think they'd be in a lot of games at that level.
yeah, I watched that game (my son plays in the GLIAC), GVSU ended up winning by 21. That being said, GVSU got absolutely trucked by the very best in D2 (Ferris State).

Reactions: eagles2k3
I don't think that NCC is competing with the best of D2, maybe that next tier of teams that are missing the playoffs.
NCC is every bit a top 10 D2 team. The team they just beat had a similar game vs Grand Valley State (premier D2). (Sorry, just read the above posts)

They would be #1 in the pioneer league. I would compare is to the WIAC. St Thomas went 6-2 in it this year.

NCC is every bit a top 10 D2 team. The team they just beat had a similar game vs Grand Valley State (premier D2). (Sorry, just read the above posts)

They would be #1 in the pioneer league. I would compare is to the WIAC. St Thomas went 6-2 in it this year.
Grand valley wasn’t a top 10 team this year or the season before that

The team I follow in the Pioneer League, the University of San Diego, has won two FCS playoff games in the last five seasons. There is no chance NCC is doing that. They could compete in the Pioneer League, they would by no means be #1.

Reactions: missingwalter
The team I follow in the Pioneer League, the University of San Diego, has won two FCS playoff games in the last five seasons. There is no chance NCC is doing that. They could compete in the Pioneer League, they would by no means be #1.
San Diego beat St Thomas 27-24 just this year. San Diego threw 3ints and only had 1 first down rushing.

St Thomas wasn’t a D3 playoff team in their last D3 season.

Agree on this. North Central is a machine right now. Their recruiting is off the charts. You would think they'd be full of D1 transfers but they are not. They get the best kids in the area that aren't going to try and walk on at a D1 school. They can compete with the best of D2 as well. IMO they would be fighting for the top spot in the pioneer league as well.

This weekend will likely be a 50 point win at least.
They also develop these kids. D3 is closer to D1 then it has ever been in regards to the amount of time that is committed to the program during the off season.
To be successful at D3, you have to have the administration that sees the benefit of having successful sports teams to maintaining enrollment. That means when it comes to financial aid, you give full need and above, and you get creative with academic and other scholarships.

GV was #4 in the nation last week when their season ended. Only two loses were to the #1 team in the nation. Got beat this past week in a snow storm.
I'll stand by my position that they weren't at any point a top 10 team in D2 this season. The GlIAC was way down with Wayne State and Saginaw Valley not playing to where most thought they would be. Ferris State blew their doors off once and beat them again during the season (which I think the 7 point loss is what many base GVSU on).

Here's my reasoning on why I don't think NCC would compete at the higher levels of D2. Talent.

NCC had a 2nd team all conference freshman guard this season. Throughout youth football and high school he was always a good player, he and my son were typically on all the same lists, fairly close to each other.

At a competitive D2 school, most freshman redshirt because they aren't getting on the field. There are two potential pro lineman on his team.

During their National title run, NCC had a d-back that didn't even play college football his freshman year and ended up starting the season and getting an interception in the National Title game

NCC has a freshman TE this season, that sees some garbage time in games, but was used sparingly in HS.

NCC could compete some weeks, but they will get blown out more than you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: prince_of_pilfer
I'll stand by my position that they weren't at any point a top 10 team in D2 this season. The GlIAC was way down with Wayne State and Saginaw Valley not playing to where most thought they would be. Ferris State blew their doors off both times.

Here's my reasoning on why I don't think NCC would compete at the higher levels of D2. Talent.

NCC had a 2nd team all conference freshman guard this season. Throughout youth football and high school he was always a good player, he and my son were typically on all the same lists, fairly close to each other.

At a competitive D2 school, most freshman redshirt because they aren't getting on the field. There are two potential pro lineman on his team.

During their National title run, NCC had a d-back that didn't even play college football his freshman year and ended up starting the season and getting an interception in the National Title game

NCC has a freshman TE this season, that sees some garbage time in games, but was used sparingly in HS.

GVSU was #5 in the coaches poll.

GVSU was #5 in the coaches poll.

I understand that, but I think that was based more on reputation, a down year for the conference and the somewhat close game with Ferris during the season. Other than round one of the playoffs and beating a D3 team by 21, their competition was average at best this year.

NCC is now getting better talent than ever thanks to the D3 title in 2019. They always had the coaching and beautiful campus in downtown Naperville. They could have more championships in the years ahead. And unlike some other schools, they have metro Chicago loaded with good football players in their backyard.

I understand that, but I think that was based more on reputation, a down year for the conference and the somewhat close game with Ferris during the season. Other than round one of the playoffs and beating a D3 team by 21, their competition was average at best this year.

Yeah but they did make it to the final 8 in the playoffs so there’s that.

They also develop these kids. D3 is closer to D1 then it has ever been in regards to the amount of time that is committed to the program during the off season.
To be successful at D3, you have to have the administration that sees the benefit of having successful sports teams to maintaining enrollment. That means when it comes to financial aid, you give full need and above, and you get creative with academic and other scholarships.
Completely agree. The other thing that I noticed when old man Thorne was there was that he rotated A LOT. Not sure if they still do this. He would get freshman playing time who had potential. I think that is important to note since there is so much roster attrition in D3. NCC may have found a way to keep kids in the program. So many kids go play D3 that were stars in HS and all of a sudden they don't play. It's tough to swallow for some.

I'll stand by my position that they weren't at any point a top 10 team in D2 this season. The GlIAC was way down with Wayne State and Saginaw Valley not playing to where most thought they would be. Ferris State blew their doors off once and beat them again during the season (which I think the 7 point loss is what many base GVSU on).

Doesn’t matter what these kids were in HS. It’s about that they are now. Kids develop and get better when they get to college. Especially when they go play for the coaches NCC has.

Reactions: forlouann
Doesn’t matter what these kids were in HS. It’s about that they are now. Kids develop and get better when they get to college. Especially when they go play for the coaches NCC has.
Two of the 3 kids I mentioned were playing HS football 2-3 months before NCC got them. The other kid sat out for a year. As good as these coaches are (and one of the coaches is the father of one of the kids mentioned) that would be a hell of job in a short amount of time.

I really get frustrated with debates that are impossible to solve. No idea how NCC would do in D2 because they're not D2. They did beat UWL by 14 who lost to GVSU by 21 so theoretically NCC is 7 pts worse than GVSU who was a top 20 D2 school. We can make assumptions from there.

I'll say this though, if a school comes to my door and is able to pay for my kids tuition (GVSU) and another school comes and says we can offer some grants, etc. to get that tuition payment down (NCC), I'm letting GVSU into the living room before I'm letting NCC into the living room.

You are joking right? D3 is no where close to D1.
Have you seen or been recruited by a real D1 program? I will tell D3 is no where near a real D1 program. If your talking D1 non paying schools like Valpo well I will give you that. D3 can not compete with any of the top D2 schools. IMO

“They also develop these kids. D3 is closer to D1 then it has ever been in regards to the amount of time that is committed to the program during the off season”

Reactions: colin2229
You are joking right? D3 is no where close to D1.
Have you seen or been recruited by a real D1 program? I will tell D3 is no where near a real D1 program. If your talking D1 non paying schools like Valpo well I will give you that. D3 can not compete with any of the top D2 schools. IMO

“They also develop these kids. D3 is closer to D1 then it has ever been in regards to the amount of time that is committed to the program during the off season”
Reading is a skill, Closer does not mean that they are close, and " in regards to how much time they commit to the program. D3 didn't always play spring ball, they didn't have player lounges or required weight training. D3 was not anywhere close to the level of D! talent wise, but they are "Closer" then they have very been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT