ADVERTISEMENT

Cubs in WS

Cubs win the World Series in seven games.

White Sox sweep the World Series in four.

images

When was the last World Series title MC? When were the White Sox last in the playoffs?

World Champion Chicago Cubs!

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Ridiculous game...

I would like to send out congrats to all the cub fans. job well done.
whew now, I would also like to add that for me. it was very cool to watch a game and not be so emotionally invested in it. instead of yelling at the tv, swearing at the players, manager etc etc., I was able to watch the damn game. which was played very well by both clubs. some great fantastic plays made, plays not made. just a fun game to take in.
and it was only fitting for the 2 longest standing teams to not have won a ws in the longest times left playing. to go 7games and I called it. told my wife in the 4th inning, this is going extra innings. as historic as this game is , the way it makes history is if it goes extra innings.
and what was with the rain delay???. but cubs needed that for sure.
were able to curb the emotions and just play. and finished a great year the right way.
so congrats cub fans, enjoy it.

Joe Maddon should be feeling a tremendous amount of relief that the Cubs were able to overcome his handling of the pitching staff in games 6 & 7. Chapman should not have been used in game 6, when the Cubs had a 7-2 lead. Why take Hendricks out after throwing so few pitches and seeming to find his form in the 4th and 5th innings? After giving up one walk that should not have been? Had a quick hook on Lester too....with two outs after giving up an infield hit in the 8th inning. Chapman had nothing last night. Kudos to him for gutting it out (with a high number of sliders) in the 9th.

Oh well....baseball lends itself to second guessing, and Maddon would have been criticized and second-guessed to death if the Cubs did not come back to win. It sure wasn't easy, and Maddon's moves did not help.

Congrats to Cubs' nation. No longer do we have to listen to all that garbage about curses etc.

Hang onto that thought along with the realization that you support a small market team in a major market city. Good luck to your irrelevant team and franchise going forward.

Joe Maddon should be feeling a tremendous amount of relief that the Cubs were able to overcome his handling of the pitching staff in games 6 & 7. Chapman should not have been used in game 6, when the Cubs had a 7-2 lead. Why take Hendricks out after throwing so few pitches and seeming to find his form in the 4th and 5th innings? After giving up one walk that should not have been? Had a quick hook on Lester too....with two outs after giving up an infield hit in the 8th inning. Chapman had nothing last night. Kudos to him for gutting it out (with a high number of sliders) in the 9th.

Oh well....baseball lends itself to second guessing, and Maddon would have been criticized and second-guessed to death if the Cubs did not come back to win. It sure wasn't easy, and Maddon's moves did not help.

Congrats to Cubs' nation. No longer do we have to listen to all that garbage about curses etc.

I agree Maddon was too hasty removing both starting pitchers in games 6 and 7. It worked in game 6 and it blew up in his face in game 7...because of what he did in game 6. The Cubs' bats saved him from unimaginable scorn.

I agree Maddon was too hasty removing both starting pitchers in games 6 and 7. It worked in game 6 and it blew up in his face in game 7...because of what he did in game 6. The Cubs' bats saved him from unimaginable scorn.

but you have to remember.
if you do not win game6, you do not play game7.
as you watched last nite NO LEAD was safe...
especially when you do not have a great bullpen.
we can say the new bartmen was the rain delay for Cleveland.
never should have stopped that game for 17mins really come on.

but you have to remember.
if you do not win game6, you do not play game7.
as you watched last nite NO LEAD was safe...
especially when you do not have a great bullpen.

I get it. I can defend his decision to use up Chapman in game 6. I have a hard time defending removing Hendricks as early as he did in game 7 (although Lester did okay), and an even harder time with using Chapman.

Most non-baseball folks have very little understanding of the physics of throwing a baseball as hard as a MLB pitcher throws, and the fatigue/stress/damage that causes to a pitcher's arm that can only be relieved by rest. For Chapman to be expected to come in and throw 100+ mph and be effective for two nights in a row and three nights in the last four, is tempting fate at best. Maddon knows all this but he did it anyway...and fate reared its ugly head. Again, if it weren't for the Cub offense bailing him out, Maddon would be deservedly criticized for his use and non-use of the bullpen last night.

The Cubs' bullpen might not be great, but you have to remember that the team managed to compile the best record in MLB before Chapman's arrival in late July.

Last edited:
The Cubs' bullpen might not be great, but you have to remember that the team managed to compile the best record in MLB before his arrival in late July.
Very true. Maddon showed he had little to no faith in the bullpen....other than a few guys. I suspect Rondon is still nursing his injury, and Strop never fully recovered from the knee injury. And as far as Hendricks is concerned, the quick hook should be viewed in the context that we are talking about a guy who led the National League in ERA and is a legitimate Cy Young contender, who was pitching on full rest and had not thrown many pitches.

Very true. Maddon showed he had little to no faith in the bullpen....other than a few guys. I suspect Rondon is still nursing his injury, and Strop never fully recovered from the knee injury. And as far as Hendricks is concerned, the quick hook should be viewed in the context that we are talking about a guy who led the National League in ERA and is a legitimate Cy Young contender, who was pitching on full rest and had not thrown many pitches.

ya I agree with both of you.
Hendricks was kind of a head scratcher. di he look fresher of the 2 of course. but you don't want the mojo to change with the emotional roller coaster. in the previous inning he was hit hard but recovered, then let another guy on base to lead this inning. ya made maddon a little jumpy I think.
mostly because he stated he wanted him in a clean inning vs a dirty inning.(men on base)
because you saw what would happen with men on base. but then he settled down.
could he have gone another 2batters probably and pitched well but is the outcome the same? 2runs, most likely. the next 2 batters hit him very well. just lester one wild pitch resulted in the same outcome.

Also it should be viewed in the context that the home plate ump totally blew what obviously should have been a called strike three on Santana with two outs in the bottom of the 5th. The inning should have been over with the Cubs up 5-1. Instead, Hendricks wound up walking Santana and Maddon yanked him for Lester. Lester came in and the Cubs wound up surrendering two runs with two outs to end the inning leading 5-3.

If the Cubs had lost that game, I would have been furious with that umpire AND Maddon.

Also it should be viewed in the context that the home plate ump totally blew what obviously should have been a called strike three on Santana with two outs in the bottom of the 5th. The inning should have been over with the Cubs up 5-1. Instead, Hendricks wound up walking Santana and Maddon yanked him for Lester. Lester came in and the Cubs wound up surrendering two runs with two outs to end the inning leading 5-3.

If the Cubs had lost that game, I would have been furious with that umpire AND Maddon.

The Ump was not giving the outside of the plate very much and had a tighter strike zone than maybe some of the others behind the plate in the series. What was a little frustrating was that the Ump was inconsistent at times (called a couple of strikes on the outside of the plate when most of the game that pitch was a ball. Pitchers are going to press the corners if they think it's in the Ump's strike zone. When the zone is erratic or worse,.. moves during the game.....That is very frustrating as a pitcher - you make a great pitch on the outside corner and it's a coin flip on if it's a strike or a ball? It should be 90% either a ball or a strike. Just make it consistent with your strike zone as much as possible (obviously nobody is perfect back there with guys throwing high nineties and sick breaking stuff) . Totally agree Cubs should have been out of the inning with a backwards K in the sheet and up 5-1..

Reactions: Gene K.

Only in baseball is there so much subjectivity/individualism that affects the outcome of a professional game.
I would be all for this.

The fact is MC, that is sour grapes on your part. AND I must add you were one before the season started who said the Cubs will never win a championship. WRONG! How silly you look now. Only TWO guys on this board predicted a Cub WS championship this year...myself and Wassup. Thank you very much!

AND all four of the Sox wins were one run games against a much easier team than the Indians. But no matter, they both count as one Championship no matter how you win them. No one cares how many games it takes to win.

Last edited:

This post is so stupid I knew it had to come from either MC63 or Dean of Selection. On top of all the joy that Cubs fans are feeling, it adds to the fun that people like those two are suffering.

Maybe the two of them can sit together at the Prep Bowl and pout about the Cubs being 2016 World Series Champions.

You're a small, bitter, unhappy person. It's a shame, because I Have a lot of respect for your alma mater and the people I know that have graduated from there.

You're a small, bitter, unhappy person. It's a shame, because I Have a lot of respect for your alma mater and the people I know that have graduated from there.
I have been saying he is a bitter, unhappy man for years now. This is just more proof. He probably kicks puppies too.

This post is so stupid I knew it had to come from either MC63 or Dean of Selection. On top of all the joy that Cubs fans are feeling, it adds to the fun that people like those two are suffering.

Maybe the two of them can sit together at the Prep Bowl and pout about the Cubs being 2016 World Series Champions.
Not all of us Sox fans are bitter unhappy people. I know you don't think we are. I am actually happy for the Cubs and their fans. They have been waiting too long and have missed with some real good teams in the past. They were the best team in baseball this year, no question.

One thing is for sure, they will go to another WS before the Sox do and Reinsdorf should be ashamed of the product he has put on the field for almost 10 years now.

Not all of us Sox fans are bitter unhappy people. I know you don't think we are. I am actually happy for the Cubs and their fans. They have been waiting too long and have missed with some real good teams in the past. They were the best team in baseball this year, no question.

One thing is for sure, they will go to another WS before the Sox do and Reinsdorf should be ashamed of the product he has put on the field for almost 10 years now.

Sox fans that are truly hating on this are such a small minority but vocal. All my Sox fan friends actively rooted for the Cubs at parties/bars when we were together. They wanted me to experience what they felt and some sure as hell were not going to root for Cleveland.

I get it. I can defend his decision to use up Chapman in game 6. I have a hard time defending removing Hendricks as early as he did in game 7 (although Lester did okay), and an even harder time with using Chapman.

Most non-baseball folks have very little understanding of the physics of throwing a baseball as hard as a MLB pitcher throws, and the fatigue/stress/damage that causes to a pitcher's arm that can only be relieved by rest. For Chapman to be expected to come in and throw 100+ mph and be effective for two nights in a row and three nights in the last four, is tempting fate at best. Maddon knows all this but he did it anyway...and fate reared its ugly head. Again, if it weren't for the Cub offense bailing him out, Maddon would be deservedly criticized for his use and non-use of the bullpen last night.

The Cubs' bullpen might not be great, but you have to remember that the team managed to compile the best record in MLB before Chapman's arrival in late July.
I agree with what you're saying but it isn't just the slight loss of velocity with over use, it is the loss of movement that is more damaging.

It amazes me how much pitching in baseball has changed. I saw an article in the paper in which Jack Morris ( I think it was Jack Morris, may have been John Smoltz) said he doesn't like the fact that starters don't pitch very long in today's game and I am in total agreement. We can talk about the DH or no DH all day and I will listen. But this idea of throwing six guys in a game is silly at best and ridiculous at worst. I realize it's today's game. But I don't have to like it.

Jim Palmer is in the HOF. He won 268 games, won 20 or more in eight seasons and threw 300 or more innings three times and more than 295 two other times. Of the 559 games he started he threw 211 complete games and all this while having a career 2.86 E.R.A.

I have no doubt whatsoever the pitching records we see will NEVER be broken such as season and career strikeouts, season and career wins, shutouts, innings pitched, games pitched, complete games, games started.

You want to know why games take four friggin' hours to play? There are too many damned mound visits and pitching changes. This bullshit of having a timer between pitches thrown and guys taking too much time at the plate means nothing. Guys stepped out of the box in-between pitches way back in the day too. All this garbage with pitching is the thing I hate most about trying to watch a game. A close second is all the micro-managing that is done now.

Is that how you guys consoled each other at McNallys last night?

Drove down Western today. Their sign says on the southside "ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END." They just can't let the hate go.

Last edited:
The fact is MC, that is sour grapes on your part. AND I must add you were one before the season started who said the Cubs will never win a championship. WRONG! How silly you look now. Only TWO guys on this board predicted a Cub WS championship this year...myself and Wassup. Thank you very much!

AND all four of the Sox wins were one run games against a much easier team than the Indians. But no matter, they both count as one Championship no matter how you win them. No one cares how many games it takes to win.

Wow. Here's the self-appointed king of accuracy who jumps all over people if they say anything he deems incorrect.

A simple google search would have told you that the White Sox did not win four games by a single run -- they won two games by one run and two games by two runs. The Astros had a great season that year; they looked weak in the series only because the Sox swept them. The Indians are the weak team. They choked after a three games to one lead. I congratulate the Cubs on their series win, but it was done on the cheap.

Many of you guys took shots, and you're welcome to do so, but you're the champions by the slightest of margins. The White Sox kicked ass.

BTW, Dr Miracle, do you keep copies of posts from 6 to 8 months ago? Are you keeping tabs on me and Wassup? Enjoy your next rant.

I've been told off by the immortal Bowie and Sundown. I'll have to struggle through the heartbreak. Answer a few questions for me, boys: Do you use the term "Cubbies" to refer to your team. Did you want to "win it for Harry?" Do you consider Jim Belushi to be a celebrity? Thanks. I'm trying to gauge how shallow you are.

I've been told off by the immortal Bowie and Sundown. I'll have to struggle through the heartbreak. Answer a few questions for me, boys: Do you use the term "Cubbies" to refer to your team. Did you want to "win it for Harry?" Do you consider Jim Belushi to be a celebrity? Thanks. I'm trying to gauge how shallow you are.

It's amazing how childishly bitter some White Sox fans are choosing to be.

I as a Cub fan rooted for the Sox in 2005. I root for Chicago teams in the post season.

Your failure to grasp the magnitude of what happened Wednesday night is unfortunate.

As a Cub fan I will cherish what happened Wednesday night for the rest of my life because I don't know if it will happen again. I assume that the White Sox fans still feel the same about 2005.

Don't recall many Cubs fans on here 11 years ago diminishing what the Sox accomplished. The need by you to try and do so is pretty sad.

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
I'm a Sox fan through and through, and I don't get the belittling of the Cubs win. I don't even get how you can dislike this Cubs team. From Theo to the players, this is an extremely likable group. They are also ridiculously talented, young, and locked up for years. I will never consider myself a "Cubs Fan" — however I will definitely enjoy watching them the next few years.

Now if they meet in a World Series, I hope Wrigley crumbles...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT