ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Prediction Week 14 SHG vs PC

All... The search continues on what teams in the new CS8 two division conference starting in 2024 will be somewhat aggressive on scheduling those two out of conference non cons. I found another. Jacksonville will play the Soldan Tigers (Mo.) away in week one a Saturday game. That appears to be a good get for the Crimsons. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... A few more updates on scheduling when the CS8 goes to two divisions in 2024. If any are available and both schools agree week 1 and 2 can be scheduled with a team in the other CS8 division it doesn't have to be outside of the CS8. This new set up allows those programs though that want to get testers for their particular team by scheduling some tough non cons in those first two weeks. Ratsy

2024 - Decatur (MacArthur) W1 Mattoon and W2 Springfield H.S.

2024 - Jacksonville H.S. will play Decatur (Eisenhower) in week two. Crimsons are set up pretty good for the first two weeks.

2024 - Lincoln W1 Lanphier and W2 Southeast.
2025 - Lincoln W1 Charleston, and W2 Southeast.

2024 - Lanphier W1 Lincoln and W2 East Peoria

2024- Springfield W1 Champaign (Central) and W2 Decatur (MacArthur)

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
All.... Calling rocketnation.... After several CS8 teams were listed on the football Ihsa open football games (2024 and 2025) list it is now down to one. Chatham still looking for a week two game in 2024.

My question. With Rochester no longer being shown do you have any news yet who the Rockets have scheduled in 24 and 25 W1 and W2? Ratsy

All.... Calling rocketnation.... After several CS8 teams were listed on the football Ihsa open football games (2024 and 2025) list it is now down to one. Chatham still looking for a week two game in 2024.

My question. With Rochester no longer being shown do you have any news yet who the Rockets have scheduled in 24 and 25 W1 and W2? Ratsy
I have made inquiries but nothing yet. This is where I regret my kid having graduated in ‘21. I am not as close to the program now and have fewer sources of info. Will keep trying.

Has DL been contacted for the edwardsville opening?
I only know Derek casually and am unsure if they might have reached out to him. That being said, I doubt he will be moving anywhere soon. His nephew will likely be the starting QB for the freshman team in the fall, his two sons are in the JFL program and the oldest is only a few years from high school, and the next two freshman classes are loaded with talent, the most promising since the Nic Baker/Mikey McNicholas class in my opinion. Size and athletes in both, when in some years you might check one box and in other years neither one.

I only know Derek casually and am unsure if they might have reached out to him. That being said, I doubt he will be moving anywhere soon. His nephew will likely be the starting QB for the freshman team in the fall, his two sons are in the JFL program and the oldest is only a few years from high school, and the next two freshman classes are loaded with talent, the most promising since the Nic Baker/Mikey McNicholas class in my opinion. Size and athletes in both, when in some years you might check one box and in other years neither one.
he ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: CIMRY90
I have made inquiries but nothing yet. This is where I regret my kid having graduated in ‘21. I am not as close to the program now and have fewer sources of info. Will keep trying.
All.... Rochester back up on the open dates board looking for W1 and W2 games for the 2024/25 school year. Ratsy

• Wow
Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Sigh. More "changes" coming in the CS8 this season. 😲😥 (LFF23) Ratsy

All.... Chatham ramps up their non con schedule when the CS8 goes to two divisions in 2024. The week one game. Home in 2024 and away in 2025 with the Tigers from Edwardsville. Ratsy
Not sure how competitive the ‘24 game will be but Chatham’s freshman team in ‘22 was dominant in the CS8 and will be seniors in ’25. They have Luke Lehnen’s brother as well, although he does not play QB from what I’ve heard.

Reactions: net-se
Not sure how competitive the ‘24 game will be but Chatham’s freshman team in ‘22 was dominant in the CS8 and will be seniors in ’25. They have Luke Lehnen’s brother as well, although he does not play QB from what I’ve heard.
All.... Yes The Titans mauled just about everyone. 49 and 48 to zip against the Rockets and Cyclones by the way. 7-1 and their only loss against Edwardsville 28-14. I assume that is when they decided to make the Tiger connection and play them at the varsity level starting in 2024.

It's early but it wouldn't be a surprise this season if QB Colten Knoedler leads the varsity as a sophomore. Ratsy

Yes, Rat totally correct on the Titans' freshman team. I went and saw the SHG/Chatham freshman game last year and it was no contest. Chatham mauled the Cyclones and also outnumbered them player wise by a large margin as well. That team (for Glenwood) is loaded with size and talent. Lehnen is a rb and yes the Knoedler kid is a terrific athlete and can run or throw, and throw deep as well. He's the only freshman listed on the Glenwood varsity baseball team. If it weren't for a second half rain storm that game final score could have been much worse. They also mauled the Rockets' freshman team as you mentioned and were not challenged, with the exception of Edwardsville. Unless the enrollment situation changes at SHG I look for a "changing of the guard" in the CS-8 in the next 2 years and beyond. Hoping that I'm wrong, of course.

All..... This year using the famous "on paper statement" Rochester of course has the most coming back by far in the CS8. By the way rocketnation the new what I call cutesy" yearly theme is out for the Rockets." About that Time to Prime For #9." Who does those every year? 👀 Postseason will be 4A with their new lower enrollment. And the face of 4A has changed. Projected other teams until qualifying time is tricky. Here is a possible list of a few. A return to the final looks favorable.

PND
Rochelle (possible 5A)
Morris (Possible 5A)
Rockford (Boylan)
Mt. Zion
Wheaton Academy
Cahokia
St. Laurence (depending upon non con schedule)
Marengo
Richmond-Burton (could go 3A)

Next with returning experience and talent is Springfield High. Take it to the bank by the way that the defense will be much better.

After that it's up in the air. Tjjrr - the Titans will be talented but young overall. Enrollment is up and come postseason 6A as has been the norm is their home. Unfortunately and I don't see a change the Flyers who have until the first week of September to petition to play up will be 6A. Many Titan fans feel the 98 team was their best winning a state title. Not a fan but the 2019 team had more talent and was unstoppable until of course having to play East St. Louis that put 50 on them in a semi final. Went to that game by the way. Until the Flyers are allowed to go up into a higher class they will be a major obstacle.

The rest of the CS8 have extensive rebuilds. Who does it the quickest and smartest will finish in the upper five of the conference. Ratsy

Last edited:
All..... This year using the famous "on paper statement" Rochester of course has the most coming back by far in the CS8. By the way rocketnation the new what I call cutesy" yearly theme is out for the Rockets." About that Time to Prime For #9." Who does those every year? 👀 Postseason will be 4A with their new lower enrollment. And the face of 4A has changed. Projected other teams until qualifying time is tricky. Here is a possible list of a few. A return to the final looks favorable.

PND
Rochelle (possible 5A)
Morris (Possible 5A)
Rockford (Boylan)
Mt. Zion
Wheaton Academy
Cahokia
Marengo

Next with returning experience and talent is Springfield High. Take it to the bank by the way that the defense will be much better.

After that it's up in the air. Tjjrr - the Titans will be talented but young overall. Enrollment is up and come postseason 6A as has been the norm is their home. Unfortunately and I don't see a change the Flyers who have until the first week of September to petition to play up will be 6A. Many Titan fans feel the 98 team was their best winning a state title. Not a fan but the 2019 team had more talent and was unstoppable until of course having to play East St. Louis that put 50 on them in a semi final. Went to that game by the way. Until the Flyers are allowed to go up into a higher class they will be a major obstacle.

The rest of the CS8 have extensive rebuilds. Who does it the quickest and smartest will finish in the upper five of the conference. Ratsy
Flyers should petition up to 8A. Not sure why the IHSA doesn’t allow. Makes no sense in my book. If the Flyers are one of the best teams every year why not let them play the best teams in the state. I hate this argument every year and nothing changes. If there is one thing that is wrong with Illinois HS football this is it. I am tired of seeing teams get raked high and then play in lower levels in the playoffs. It’s a joke. I know I know it’s their enrollment. Again it’s a joke!

All..... I believe the issue continues to be not with the Flyers but their conference and fellow school members. They continue to prevent them from playing up any higher. A quick search shows lately postseason teams other then ESTL have been 8A in their conference. So that's out. Some of those schools potentially when qualifiers are announced while not likely could drop to 7A. In the past they have been 7A. So I guess 7A is out. And at 1194.00 they don't want to play 5A. Fine with the Rat by the way. 😉

It's been mentioned and I think they shouldn't feel a need to have to go to an all independent schedule. How the Southwestern Conference was able to swing what they did is beyond me. There are several Flyer fans on this board that might be able to provide more insight on that. Ratsy

PND
Rochelle (possible 5A)
Morris (Possible 5A)
Rockford (Boylan)
Mt. Zion
Wheaton Academy
Cahokia
Marengo

Not sure who comes up with the Rocket slogans, maybe the football moms? This Senior class has never been to a state final, losing their Freshman year to COVID and the last two years in the semi’s to SHG. The last Rochester class to not go to at least one final was 2010. They do return the most in the conference, but the Rockets will miss and probably can’t replace the power running of Reiss and Lichtenberger.

SHG does have a major rebuild but if it must happen, this is a good year for it in my view. The three other returning playoff teams besides SHG and Rochester (Chatham, Jacksonville, and MacArthur) are all rebuilding too. Chatham will be better by ‘24 but they will struggle to get 7 wins like they did in ‘22. The Titans were hit hard by graduation, particularly at the skill positions. The Crimsons have to replace QB Owens and have big holes on defense along with depth issues. Mac was just average last year and gave up lots of points. The Crimsons and Generals could both struggle to make the playoffs in ‘23.

Springfield is the one school which could improve significantly from last year. Paul Hartman may be the most experienced returning QB in the CS8. They do need a major upgrade on defense, which has been weak the last two seasons. The Senators have good program numbers and frosh and JV teams, which many conference programs do not have. They should make the playoffs but will their record be 5-4, 6-3, or 7-2?

At this point, I just don’t see much from Lincoln, U High, Ike, Southeast, and Lanphier.

Yes the Titans will probably be young and may struggle. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of sophmore starters on their varsity team. They had a couple of massive sized linemen on that freshman team last year, big enough that I kind of did a double take when I saw them. It was hard to believe they were freshman. I think it's funny how we let Lincoln back into the conference, yet low and behold they are not playing SHG in football nor are they playing Rochester I don't believe. Everyone knows they wanted back in due to the travel involved in the Apollo conference and also because they miss those big basketball games with Lanphier and Southeast. It certainly wasn't because of football. I also question how this deal came about with the Big 12, and why is it that SHG with and enrollment of 500 has to play Normal Community, (enrollment 2094). What a nice deal for someone. That, coupled with the fact that SHG returns 3 starters from last year almost certainly assures that they will start the season 0-1. With games still remaining with Rochester, Chatham , Macarthur, Springfield and Jacksonville.

Not sure who comes up with the Rocket slogans, maybe the football moms? This Senior class has never been to a state final, losing their Freshman year to COVID and the last two years in the semi’s to SHG. The last Rochester class to not go to at least one final was 2010. They do return the most in the conference, but the Rockets will miss and probably can’t replace the power running of Reiss and Lichtenberger.

SHG does have a major rebuild but if it must happen, this is a good year for it in my view. The three other returning playoff teams besides SHG and Rochester (Chatham, Jacksonville, and MacArthur) are all rebuilding too. Chatham will be better by ‘24 but they will struggle to get 7 wins like they did in ‘22. The Titans were hit hard by graduation, particularly at the skill positions. The Crimsons have to replace QB Owens and have big holes on defense along with depth issues. Mac was just average last year and gave up lots of points. The Crimsons and Generals could both struggle to make the playoffs in ‘23.

Springfield is the one school which could improve significantly from last year. Paul Hartman may be the most experienced returning QB in the CS8. They do need a major upgrade on defense, which has been weak the last two seasons. The Senators have good program numbers and frosh and JV teams, which many conference programs do not have. They should make the playoffs but will their record be 5-4, 6-3, or 7-2?

At this point, I just don’t see much from Lincoln, U High, Ike, Southeast, and Lanphier.
All.... As mentioned before the SHS defense will be vastly improved. Book it! Now the offense is still a bit of a mystery to me. If I recall they did that wing t stuff. That's a hard road to take in a high scoring conference. Get behind in a game and you are in trouble with an offense like that.

The Senators qb situation is an interesting one. QB Hartman who came to SHS after a year at SHG as a freshman had a tough season. 23-72 for 457 yards. He also played as a receiver at times. At 6'5" he could do a lot of damage at that position if he is gifted in that respect.

With this being the second year for Coach Hebb I'm sure he now knows what he has and will make the proper adjustments across the board with his team. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
Yes the Titans will probably be young and may struggle. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of sophmore starters on their varsity team. They had a couple of massive sized linemen on that freshman team last year, big enough that I kind of did a double take when I saw them. It was hard to believe they were freshman. I think it's funny how we let Lincoln back into the conference, yet low and behold they are not playing SHG in football nor are they playing Rochester I don't believe. Everyone knows they wanted back in due to the travel involved in the Apollo conference and also because they miss those big basketball games with Lanphier and Southeast. It certainly wasn't because of football. I also question how this deal came about with the Big 12, and why is it that SHG with and enrollment of 500 has to play Normal Community, (enrollment 2094). What a nice deal for someone. That, coupled with the fact that SHG returns 3 starters from last year almost certainly assures that they will start the season 0-1. With games still remaining with Rochester, Chatham , Macarthur, Springfield and Jacksonville.

All.... The talks between the CS8 and the Big 12 had been going on for a long time. When they finally came to an agreement it was decided to match up as close as possible teams. It appears the control on this was historical in nature based on wins and how the individual schools finished in their respective conference over a period of time.

Even though Peoria has come on a bit as of late N.C was still looked at as top dog as was SHG. Next was Rochester and Peoria. Enrollment was not considered a high priority in choosing the matches I suppose. Oddly Chatham if I'm recalling correctly plays PND. That's a pretty good draw. Community West would of been a bit more equal .

Not exactly a perfect system doing it that way but it is what it is as they say. It was going to be for two years and then evaluated again. Now only one of course since the CS8 is going with two divisions in 2024. Ratsy

i said that the very first time i saw the schedules.

All.... I rechecked the latest 8 to 8 schedule. This is what they are showing. Oh boy..... Ratsy

W1 Danville @ Chatham
W5 PND @ Jacksonville
W7 SHS @ Community West (Homecoming)

All.... Rocketnation, HC Matt Lauber from Southeast has accepted a new position in Rochester. He will be assistant principal and AD for the junior high. A good get. Have you heard if Derek has any plans to put him on his staff? Ratsy

All.... Rocketnation, HC Matt Lauber from Southeast has accepted a new position in Rochester. He will be assistant principal and AD for the junior high. A good get. Have you heard if Derek has any plans to put him on his staff? Ratsy
i'm pretty sure if you are admin status there, coaching is not an option.

Have heard only good things about Lauber but this doesn't leave Southeast with much time to bring in a new head coach before the end of the school year.

Have heard only good things about Lauber but this doesn't leave Southeast with much time to bring in a new head coach before the end of the school year.
All..... I know who would be perfect for Southeast . But it would cause sudden consternation in D186 especially at one high school. If what I had been told awhile ago on current personnel is correct. 🤐 Ratsy

Last edited:
All..... I know who would be perfect for Southeast . But it would cause sudden consternation in D186 especially at one high school. If what I had been told awhile ago on current personnel is correct. 🤐 Ratsy

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?
All.... Nope. That particular source normally is very solid but I still need to actually see part one of the equation I was told to even have a part two. 😢 As for part 2 the Spartan job as rocketnation mentioned doesn't leave Southeast much time. I don't know if someone on former HC Lauber's staff will step in for the season or longer. Who I would think would be a great fit is just my opinion . D186 as a history on a new hire like this tend to be very slow. Not a good thing. Besides Edgy doesn't like that rumor stuff with a name put to it. Teasers I suppose are ok.... Ratsy

Last edited:

former dc at sehs, former head football coach at lanphier and riverton is currently on the teaching staff there.

All.... I don't remember the specific context but his name was brought up by Jim Ruppert on his Thursday afternoon call in radio show as we were discussing the open position on air. Not my choice (like anyone really cares lol ) but certainly a good hard working capable coach with the experience who could handle it. Ratsy

Last edited:
Will Southeast administrators pick a candidate to be approved by the School Board as a formality or does the School Board have more of a role in determining who is the choice?

Will Southeast administrators pick a candidate to be approved by the School Board as a formality or does the School Board have more of a role in determining who is the choice?
All.... That is a good question. I imagine it could go either way depending upon the particular school district. Politics could play a role in a greater way on the school board side that would have nothing to do with getting the best candidate available who has applied.

I would think the school administrators would know what they have better then the board and be allowed to choose after the appropriate interviews who they want. Ratsy

You gotta love press releases put out by schools.
"All-time wins leader" is, in fact, 100 percent fact.
The rest of the story is that ignoring the pretty much meaningless covid spring season in which Springfield Southeast went 0-6, it means that in eight years at the wheel of this school, the coach's program has won 24 total games, which conveniently divides into an average of 3 wins and 6 losses each fall.
The school has not finished a season with a winning record (5-5 is .500) in 20 years and has exactly one playoff victory to its credit in school history. So, if there is a "perfect" coach for Southeast out there, I am interpreting that as a coach that can turn the program into some semblance of a playoff contender. If he can do that, then the next challenge will be for the school to keep him.

to make it even more interesting, the ad is leaving at the end of this school year. do they wait for a new ad for the hire and name interim, or just let the current admin hire? regardless, it'll come down to the admins to make the recommendation.

Ran across Rochester's Freshman schedule for the first time and it appears that MacArthur, Eisenhower, and Lincoln will not be fielding teams. Rochester has penciled in games with Mahomet Seymour and Normal Community in two of those weeks and is still looking for an opponent the week of the MacArthur Varsity game.

Rochester does not play Southeast or U High in 2023, so I'm unsure of their status. Both teams had fairly low Varsity numbers last season.

At this point, the JV schedule indicates that all of Rochester's conference opponents are planning to field teams.

Reactions: Gene K.
Ran across Rochester's Freshman schedule for the first time and it appears that MacArthur, Eisenhower, and Lincoln will not be fielding teams. Rochester has penciled in games with Mahomet Seymour and Normal Community in two of those weeks and is still looking for an opponent the week of the MacArthur Varsity game.

Rochester does not play Southeast or U High in 2023, so I'm unsure of their status. Both teams had fairly low Varsity numbers last season.

At this point, the JV schedule indicates that all of Rochester's conference opponents are planning to field teams.
All... The Cyclones play Normal Community across the board F, S, V. SHG has everyone else at the the sophomore level except the Lions.

Currently the freshman schedule shows only seven teams and are looking for a October 12 game (tba) which is the week the varsity plays Mac. Nothing listed the week before whatsoever (frosh) when SHG plays Eisenhower. Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT