ADVERTISEMENT

CPS Prep Bowl

Thank You!!! How come only 3 games? Many who lost in the playoffs should be in plus teams like Solorio,Marine,King
Because many of those schools petitioned CPS to change the conference structure to allow more CPS teams to qualify for the IHSA playoffs. In doing so, now only the top 4 teams in the top 2 conferences qualify for the city playoffs. Phillips and Simeon are seeded 1 and 2. If they lose their games this week, they will drop into the bracket with tonight's three winning teams.

They could open it to the next lower conference and let the Clarks, Paytons, and Kenwoods in but anything more than that you don't have time to fit any of those games in. And that's about as competitive as you'd be able to get it, there's a lot of bad football below that.

It's hard explaining to kids that they can't play for city, when a team we beat and had a better record than(Solorio), gets to play. Or schools that had losing records play. Hopefully this gets changed next year

It's hard explaining to kids that they can't play for city, when a team we beat and had a better record than(Solorio), gets to play. Or schools that had losing records play. Hopefully this gets changed next year

Solorio didn’t make it. The 4th place team in both conferences that qualify for city both had losing records. The other 6 all qualified for the playoffs. I believe they are making some conference changes for next year, hopefully they are able to get all of the top CPL teams in the top 2 conferences this time.

Solorio didn’t make it. The 4th place team in both conferences that qualify for city both had losing records. The other 6 all qualified for the playoffs. I believe they are making some conference changes for next year, hopefully they are able to get all of the top CPL teams in the top 2 conferences this time.
That's wild. Raby is in and they only won 3 or 4 games, had only 24 kids in the entire program, forfeited their f/s schedule and gets rewarded with a chance to play for city. SMDH only in CPS

Who determines which CPS school conferences gets teams into the playoffs and why? Just curious as it doesn't seem fair that some CPS conferences can get teams in and others can't. I can see Phillips and Simeon, but there had to be other CPS teams capable to get in and be competitive. BTW, Coach Percy, which team are you affiliated with.

CPS Sports Admin. They have a fancy formula that includes max preps rankings. They set the conferences two years ago, as @Schwab54 said above, to allow more teams into the state playoffs. The promise was to revisit and redistribute teams every few years. So next year should have a change in quite a few teams across the the various conferences.

Reactions: Gene K.
Who determines which CPS school conferences gets teams into the playoffs and why? Just curious as it doesn't seem fair that some CPS conferences can get teams in and others can't. I can see Phillips and Simeon, but there had to be other CPS teams capable to get in and be competitive. BTW, Coach Percy, which team are you affiliated with.
They used to include the top 4 teams(I believe) from the top 4 conferences in city playoffs. The first round of city was week 9. When they realigned the divisions last year they attempted to put the top programs in 2 conferences as opposed to 4, and got rid of the week 9 playoff game which put less overall teams in the city playoffs. As there is a lot of up and down amongst teams from year to year it especially can happen in the CPS due to the lack of feeder and lower level teams for most programs. While I do believe last year 8 to 10 of the top 12 programs in the city came from these top 2 conferences, this year I think 6 of the top 8 teams came from this conference. I’m a little more unsure on where those other 6 schools would fall in comparison though I would still guess those bottom 6 are somewhere in the teens and I would say the top 5 teams in the city definitely all play in the top 2 conferences. Hopefully we’ll see the correct teams added next year to have a more competitive regular season and city playoffs.

They used to include the top 4 teams(I believe) from the top 4 conferences in city playoffs. The first round of city was week 9. When they realigned the divisions last year they attempted to put the top programs in 2 conferences as opposed to 4, and got rid of the week 9 playoff game which put less overall teams in the city playoffs. As there is a lot of up and down amongst teams from year to year it especially can happen in the CPS due to the lack of feeder and lower level teams for most programs. While I do believe last year 8 to 10 of the top 12 programs in the city came from these top 2 conferences, this year I think 6 of the top 8 teams came from this conference. I’m a little more unsure on where those other 6 schools would fall in comparison though I would still guess those bottom 6 are somewhere in the teens and I would say the top 5 teams in the city definitely all play in the top 2 conferences. Hopefully we’ll see the correct teams added next year to have a more competitive regular season and city playoffs.
I’d just like to see everyone get a shot.I remember asking Ole Mickey why teams like Kelly & Kennedy & such didn’t get a shot at the playoffs.He said man you must not know football.Those teams would get destroyed.I said what the H&!! Is the difference? Most of the teams are getting destroyed now

At least let them in the city playoffs.What happens when you have down teams & get put into those goofy conferences ineligible for the playoffs? Then you have decent teams that have good records but because of teams of the past doing poorly you can’t make the city or state playoffs.That is stupid

There has to be a cutoff, you can’t have 24 teams in the city playoffs, just doesn’t work number wise.

In other news, the CPS reports that they are down 6,000 students from last year.

There has to be a cutoff, you can’t have 24 teams in the city playoffs, just doesn’t work number wise.

As of now you can only have a max of 8 teams left unless you bring back Wednesday games.

First of all, how great is it that we are talking CPS football in multiple threads? Second of all, there has to be a limit to how many teams get in to the city playoffs. The current arrangement came from CPS programs wanting a better chance to get into the state playoffs. These teams can't have it both ways and have it work logistically.

Thanks all for the info. Got a much better idea on how the Public schools in the Prep bowl is determined. If Simeon and Phillips win their next game and then lose the next one are they eligible for the Prep Bowl?

If Simeon and Phillips win this week they will be out of the city playoffs.

I'm the DC/Asst HC at Clark High School

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT