ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick'Em Road Trip Texas Edition

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
Well after I saw two forfeits in Alaska plus a handful of other games that still don't have scores decided we needed to take a trip down to a place where I knew they'd play the games, so Texas here we come! There are many great things about Texas football, with the most obvious one being they are playing games, but also they play on Thursdays(CPL STYLE!!!!!), they have some great nicknames, and while a few school miss on the nickname, many knocked it out of the park, something we definitely could do better in Illinois. So with that lets get to the games!

San Saba Armadillos vs Winters Blizzards
There have been many great football movies over the years. You got Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday, Rudy, The Replacements, Friday Night Lights, Brian's Song, North Dallas 40, Varsity Blues, The Longest Yard, the list really goes on and on. But if I have to pick one, I'm picking Necessary Roughness. Scott Bakula as a 30 something year old QB, Sinbad coming back for his last year of eligibility and Kathy Ireland as the kicker. Fantastic movie, and in that movie they are the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. Can't think many in Texas really understand Winter, and even less understand a blizzard, so while Winters seems like an odd school name they get major points for making the nickname fit so perfectly.
But in the end I have to pick Kathy Ireland, Armadillos by 3

Lake Worth Bullfrogs vs Decatur Eagles
I coached wrestling a few years ago. Some senior shows up for the first time. I love the seniors who decide that is the time to join a sport, will never get that. Anyways the kids name is Jeremiah. Jeremiah instantly gets the name Bullfrog because we all know Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. Don't remember much about the kid other than he was a little nutty and the whole team called him Bullfrog. That's enough for me in this matchup
Bullfrogs by 17

Itasca Wampus Cats vs Valley Mills Eagles
You know what they don't have in the CPL? A Wampus Cat! We got Cougars, Panthers, Lions, probably some Tigers but we sure don't have a Wampus Cat. The game I really want to see, the Gary Comer Catamounts vs the Itasca Wampus Cats, that would be an instant classic that could only be played at Stagg on Thursday at 3:30. Edgy would for sure have to come out to that game, instant classic!
Wampus Cats by 12

Floydada Whirlwinds vs Sundown Roughnecks
I have never seen a team called the Whirlwinds and I kind of dig it, but I want to talk about Floydada what in the world is that? Any way cool school team, cool nickname, big points. Don't let the sun go down on me. Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see. I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free. But losin' everything is like the sun going down on me. Elton John is great, but don't think he's much of a football player.
Whirlwinds by 62

San Antonio Roosevelt Roughriders vs Lee Volunteers
Occasionally schools get it right. If there is any Roosevelt High School in the United States that isn't the Roughriders...well they're doing it wrong. It is that simple
Roughriders by 50

Beeville Jones Trojans vs Alice Coyotes
Just as Roosevelt did right, Beeville dropped the ball. They should be the Beeville Bees. Now Alice is interesting. Could have been the Alice Coopers or the Alice Wonderlands, I believe there were opportunities missed here. But if you're playing Texas football I don't think you can ever miss being the Coyotes. And why is that you may ask? And that is because the second greatest football movie ever is about the West Canaan Coyotes. If you don't love Varsity Blues there is something wrong with you. Who doesn't want Billy Bob blocking for them? What QB didn't want to throw to Tweeder and what WR didn't want to be Tweeder? And if nothing else Varsity Blues made you look at whipped cream a completely different way.
The Coyotes hit the hook n ladder and win by 7

Llano Yellow Jackets vs Lago Vista Vikings
With a school named LLano you have to do something with the double LL. May I suggest the LLano Tall LLamas? That would be an improvement. Can't say I love the Vikings due to Minnesota but Lago Vista makes me think of Zia's Lago Vista and that is some good eating!
Lago Vista by 27

Pflugerville Panthers vs Leander Lions
Here's the weekly segment where I shared something that I learned. Pfluergville has commited to the PF. Apparently everything in the town goes with the PF. They don't play on a field they play on a PField. In going with that, how they aren't the Pflugerville PFlamingos or even better the PFlugerville PFingers, I may never know. Seems like a miss. Leander Lions is boring but they have the alliteration so they get points for that.
Fingers by 2

CE King Panthers vs Huntsville Hornets
I don't have much to say about this matchup. I have actually have to CE King before though and they actually just got a new field last year I believe. If you want to see an incredible high school field and how Texas does football I highly suggest taking a look at CE King's field, super impressive.
Not sure who's home but I'll take the CE King Panthers by 43

Oh my gosh. So many great names. So many great opportunities. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to really examine these games with my normal fine toothed comb. But, because Texas plays Thursdays, AND there is a team called the Wampus Cats....
I will offer my lock of the week:
Pflugerville Panthers vs Leander Lions
Huge fan of strip clubs with cat names. Alley Katz, Pole Katz, you've heard them all. Also a huge fan of winning, and if I've learned one thing in life, it's to never bet on any team named the Lions.
Bang the Thor Hammer Take Pflugerville.

Oh, and Fenger. Always take Fenger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT