ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick 'em WEEK ONE PLAYOFF EDITION

GhostOfTheGhhost

May 14, 2018
What’s that? Ah - Playoffs? Don’t talk about - playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! - Jim Mora
It's the playoffs baby! While the rest of the state dilly dallys another week, the CPL gets down to business! No time for talking...on to the picks!

Payton v Phillips
Coach Percy guaranteed this one would be the vaunted Clark running attack vs Phillips. Guaranteed that this wouldn't be a game and Clark wouldn't be tested until the IHSA Playoffs. Um....I appreciate the chutzpah, but that's why we play the games right?? No matter who plays Phillips in this one, the result will be the same. Dominance.
Phillips!

Simeon v North Lawndale
Simeon came from behind on Saturday to beat Kenwood in a barnburner. Simeon won't need to come out of the locker room to have this one at a running clock by halftime.
Wolverines!

Morgan Park v Amundsen
I was waiting in line at Wolfy's hot dogs on Peterson the other day ,and overheard the two guys in front of me talking CPL football. Of course, I had to jump into that conversation...they were confident that the best team on the north side, if not the city, was Amundsen and about how they are going to shock people with a deep IHSA playoff run. Their excitement about the Vikings was so infectious, I bought them each a pizza puff to continue the party. Unfortunately, the CPL party ends for Amundsen here as MoPo Rolls.
Morgan Park!

Taft v Goode
Taft has put together a pretty Goode season so far. (see what I did there? I know, low hanging fruit...) Goode comes in with a high scoring offense, not sure they will be able to score like that against the Taft D, but it should be fun to watch...for Taft fans.
Taft!

Young v Brooks
Whitney Young is the Dolphins. Dolphins are clearly good swimmers. Brooks plays on Smurf turf, which looks a lot like a giant body of water. If this game is at Brooks, then I go with the fish all day, but since this one is most likely at Rockne....Advantage Brooks! Week One Upset Special!!
Brooks!
Westinghouse v Perspectives
Know what I like about this one? All of the syllables in the school names. Everyone knows more syllables = more fun, and who doesn't like fun?? Guys named John. Know what makes syllables even more fun? Alliteration. Only choice here is the Westinghouse Warriors.
The House!
Lane v Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard lived in a shoe. She hadn't had a great season, so she didn't know what to do... So she rounded up all of those kids and Beat Lane Tech!
The Shoe!!
Kenwood v Carver
I can't see how Kenwood loses this one, but then again, no one thought you could make plastic from peanuts. If George Washington Carver could figure that out, then I feel like Carver might have a chance this week. Not a big chance, but a chance nonetheless...
The Wood!

Last edited:
So early this week! I can't wait for all the HOT CPL Action. Just so great to have a season without crazy COVID rules, strikes, or whatever else CPS is constantly dealing with. Let the playoffs begin!

Payton v Phillips
Payton, Phillips. PP that's exactly what this game is going to wreak of. Guess we can call it the Red Line Special.
Payton gets running clocked by the end of the first. Wish this game would have been Clark. I'd have loved to see all that beef going against Phillips.

Simeon v North Lawndale
Simeon always makes me think of Simcoe hops. Nothing beats a hoppy IPA the stronger the better. Which brings us to this game. You'd have to be drunk, and I mean really really drunk to think any of these teams are beating the Redbird/Land of Lincoln Teams.

Morgan Park v Amundsen
Nothing beats a good ol Puff, Ghost! The same can be said about Amundsen's chances in this game. Nothing, none zero, zilch, zip

Taft v Goode
Taft the famous inspiration for the moving Grease. Got to love Grease it' an oldie, but definitely a Goode. If Goode is going to have a chance in this one they'll probably need some of that greased lightning. Goode luck with finding that.

Young v Brooks
Dolphins can't swim in Brooks, they need salt water to survive. Luckily Young being a selective enrollment school means they have tons of resources the rest of CPS lacks. Be on the lookout for the training staff to salt the field pre-game so they can swim off with victory.

Westinghouse Perspectives marks our first match up between Red Bird and Land of Lincoln, which means these matchups should be much more competitive than then rest. Then you look and see that they lost to South Shore who isn't even playoff eligible. Oh boy. Westinghouse big...

Lane v Hubbard
Hubbard forfeited to Perspectives but then was back last week to get drubbed by Morgan Park. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they forfeit this week allowing Lane to step into Round 2 uncontested with a 4-5 record, as they will most likely miss the playoffs we're probably going to get a Westinghouse Lane rematch as they wait the IHSA eligible teams to reenter.

Kenwood v Carver
If there's anything carver has going for them it's that they are best against wood. Just something about that wood surface that really allows a carver to showcase their talents. Unfortunately for them though we're talking about football not craftsmanship. Give me the ponies!

Monday edition of CPL Pick Em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just another Manic Monday!! Cause that's my fun day!!!

Payton v Phillips
"Some day somebody's gonna make you wanna turn around and say goodbye (Phillips D Line). Until then, baby, are you gonna let them hold you down and make you cry (Payton will). Don't you know? Don't you know things can change , things will go your way when you hold on for one more day."

There is absolutely no way Payton could hold on for one quarter, so they have no chance for the whole day. Phillips wins and there is a running clock by the third quarter.

Simeon v North Lawndale
Not even worth my time to try to come up with a musical reference. Simeon wins by at least 40!

Morgan Park v Amundsen
"He said I just climbed out of the cottonwood tree. I was running from some honey bees (I hear that only happens around Madison avenue). Drip dryin in the summer breeze (more like a fall breeze) after jumping into Calico creek (I don't recommend jumping into any Chicago creek). I was walkin down an old dirt road (through the industrial district) past a field of sod that has just been mowed (definitely not at Rockne). Man I wish you'd just left me alone (nah, I got my good buddy Ghost of the Ghost). And I was almost home"

After all of that, take Craig Morgan Park for the win, and for a running clock by the end of the third quarter.

Taft v Goode
I solve my problems and I see the light (at least hopefully the game is late enough to use the lights). We got a lovin thing (no we don't) and we gotta feed it right (there's turf there, no feeding is needed). There ain't no danger we can go too far(there is a lot of danger for Goode this week). We start believing now that we can be what we are....Taft gets the win? They got food we'll be eating! Taft takes the time in their place to use motion, Taft is the way we are feeling!

Young v Brooks
Looking back now it makes me laugh, we were growing our hair and were cutting class (that doesn't happen at these esteemed institutions). Knew it all already, there was nothing to learn (never true in CPL pick em), we were striking matches just to watch them burn (at the Rockne tailgates). Listen to our music just a little too loud (again at the Rockne tailgates), we were hanging out there with the outcast crowd (makes sense).....We were wannabe rebels that didn't have a clue (who does in CPL pick em??), in our rock and roll t-shirts and our typically bad attitudes. Had no excuses for the wrong picks that we made, we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any time I can sing Uncle Kenny, it's a good day.

The referees wear their Sunday best (if only...), trainers are tired, and they need a rest. The kids are playing up and down (the stands!), sister's sighing at the calls made by the refs today, brother's got a date to keep (CPL playoffs is the best spot for a date), so he can hang around!! Our HOUSE!!!! In the middle of our street! Our HOUSE!!!!

Lane v Hubbard
L. Ron Hubbard founded the church of Scientology. It doesn't take a scientist to know that Hubbard has no shot this week! Lane wins big!

Kenwood v Carver
Kenwood by 60, no explanation needed!

Don't worry, tomorrow we will have the CPL PIck Em (Non playoff edition)!!

I see that in true CPL fashion, the Taft vs Goode game will be at Taft on Friday at 4pm? Sooooo CPL of the CPL to schedule a 4pm game at a non CPL stadium that doesn't have to be shared. Of course, it does provide an interesting option for those folks who don't want to wait in traffic on the Kennedy during rush hour. Get off on Harlem, grab yourself a Dino's pizza and head to the stadium!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT