ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick Em: Crossover Edition

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
Welcome to week 5 of CPL Pick em!!!!!!! It is week 5, so we are in the heart of conference season. Oh wait, this is the Chicago Public League; where we take a break from conference schedules just 2 weeks after most of them started. Just as we start to see some conference powerhouse teams emerge from the pack, we throw them against a different conference this week. All bets are off, anything can happen. What a glorious week!

The theme for this week's games is celebrating the legends of football. Therefore, we will only focus on games at Rockne or Stagg (which also means no field turf)! Throwback to the old days, where the middle of the field has a hill, the numbers are completely faded, the white lines may not be completely straight, and we may be missing a yard marker or two.

Perspectives vs. Whitney Young (HC): Friday, 4:15 at Rockne
It is homecoming season, which means students get to awkwardly dance with one another (at some outdoor venues) and listen to music that has way too much bass. Forget the bass, the treble is where it's at. A wise man once told me that it is impossible to trust any person or school with two first names. My addendum to the rule is you can't trust anyone with two last names. I don't care what you say, Whitney is a last name. Ray Whitney, great hockey player. Angus and Malcolm Young, ACDC! If the children listened to more ACDC, homecomings would be much cooler. Think of great heroes like Eli Whitney, who invented the cotton gin way back in 1794. This also happens to be the last time that the grass was re-sodded at Rockne or Stagg. It'll be a barnburner homecoming game at 4:15, but since I can't trust anyone with two last names, give me Perspectives in a low scoring 14-13 battle.

Back of the Yards vs. Prosser: Saturday, 1:00 at Rockne
It was reported that Back of the Yards quit in the 3rd quarter last week. Nothing would be more CPS than seeing a team quit one week, and then come out the next week and destroy their opponent. Prosser is in the wrong place at the wrong time. They don't have a prayer. BOTY in a landslide!

Al Raby Raiders vs. North Lawndale Phoenix: Thursday. 7:15 at Rockne
In a week where all CPL pick em games will be played on grass, it is a sin to not take a team with Lawn in their name. Hopefully, Tru Green and some other landscaping companies make their way to Rockne this week to give the field a nice makeover. Unfortunately, the director of the stadium lost his rolodex (yes, I said a rolodex) and he can't find where he put it. Maybe in a year or two, he will figure out where it is. Phoenix rising high this week!

Payton Grizzlies vs. Kennedy Crusaders: Friday, 7:15 at Rockne
It is about time that Kennedy gets the prime-time slot. They are used to playing on Thursday and Saturday, so playing on Friday will be somewhat confusing for them. However, they will enjoy the nice traffic filled bus ride down Central avenue; cutting over to Austin around 26th St, and then back over to Central again on Roosevelt(since Central doesn't go through from 55th to Roosevelt; those damn industrial districts). The alternate route would be to take Pershing over to Austin from Central and get the wonderful smells of the water reclamation district. Fun times! However they choose to get there, they will be pumped to be playing in the prime time slot. They are full of prime time players, and will upset Payton.

Chicago Academy Cougars vs. Phoenix Firebirds: Saturday, 7:15 at Rockne
I can't wait to see the condition of the field when this game kicks off on Saturday night. The field itself may be so dry that it is on fire (Pray for rain cause mud is so much more fun). In any case, I refuse to take any school with Chicago in their name. Seems like overkill, you don't need to remind us that you are in Chicago. Phoenix in a dogfight 8-6 win (Chicago Academy misses the 2 point conversion when their player of the week fumbles on the 1 yard line).

Marine vs. Crane: Thursday, 4:15 at Rockne
From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli. We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and the sea. First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean. We are proud to claim the title of United States Marines. Song may be great, the team is not. Crane wins by 50

Corliss vs. Little Village: Friday, 4:15 at Stagg
Andrew Quarless was a tight end for the Packers. Quarless sounds like Corliss, therefore I can't take Corliss. Bear Down, Chicago Bears! Make every way clear the path to victory. Bear Down, Chicago Bears. Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly. We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T formation! Will we see the T formation this weekend??????? One can only hope; especially at the stadium named for the great Amos Alonzo Stagg. Little Village has two T's in it. They are your winner.

Tilden vs. U of C Woodlawn: Saturday, 1:00 at Stagg
Remember the grass theme. A wood lawn sounds like an absolute perfect description of the playing surface this weekend at Stagg. After the grass is burnt, it may even look a bit maroon. Woodlawn dominates!

Fall is in the air! Or, is that pumpkin spice? Let's get to the picks!

There was an Edgy thread a couple of weeks ago about 6pm Friday starts. Lots of debate. Shockingly, nothing was ever mentioned about 4:15 starts for homecoming games. Honestly, I think there should be more homecoming dinners at the Steak 'n Egger!
Perspectives in the upset!

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake that BOTY....Shake that BOTY...
BOTY!

My guy @Schwab54 (sky point) always liked to say the Phoenix is rising. If the wind is blowing the right way, the only thing rising at Rockne is the stench of the factory next door. Nothing like smell of sulfur and wet garbage when you are trying to choke down some Rockne nachos.
Raby!

I have no knowledge of this, but I am assuming that Payton is the Grizzlies because they didn't want to use Bears? Seems like a miss. Kennedy clearly missed on not naming their mascot the Missiles or the Pigs. Look Payton, this is Chicago. Your school is named Walter Payton, and you aren't the Bears? Unacceptable.
Take the Missile Pigs!

I borrowed my buddy's Firebird to take my date to prom in high school. Turns out that giant 80's hair T-Tops don't mix.
Cougs!

Knew this trim carpenter in Nashville that was a professional bull rider. When injuries built up enough to make him quit, he became one of those crane operators at the top of giant high rise buildings just to get an adrenaline rush. Not sure where I was going with that, just that I loved that guy. He was legitimately crazy.
Crane!

Just occurred to me that it would be awesome if the mascot for Little Village was the People. Little Village People!!
LV!

Fenger!!

The weather has been absolutely perfect these last few days. So perfect in fact that the CPL Thursday 4:15 kicks are back on the schedule. Let's get it!

With the Young, you normally see a lack of perspective. At Perspectives you have multiple (campuses too). Take wisdom and age this week. Sad homecoming at Whitney.

BOTY has had a real down year this year, they've been playing some real Bland football. Prosser was really good when they played Bland football. Bland is long gone. Expect BOTY to get back on track. BOTY BOTY BOTY BOTY everywhere.

Monday night I had a bad case of insomnia. Was stuck up all night watching random old movies until I cam across Ace Ventura Pet Detective. A true classic that one. Had a few laughs in the background as I started my weekly pick em research. Then it hit, this movie is giving me this matchup's winner. AAAAAAAAAAAAlRaby then!!!!

Peyton has been great on the Monday night simulcast with his brother. Payton is an all time great. Kennedy no matter which one you pick normally ends in tragedy. Stick with the great this week, even if Missile Pigs is a phenomenal nickname.

I was out enjoying the beautiful weather this past Saturday and boy were the Cougars out. If I were a young man it would have been an easy hunt. However I am not a young man, nor am I in for the Cougar hunt. That would result in my house being burned down. I have no doubt if that were to happen that feisty Latina I decided to marry would make sure I didn't rise from those ashes like the Phoenix. I guess that tells me to stay far far away from this game. Pass

Marine is the environment the Crane thrives in. Crane in, dare I say, a (t)rout.

Corliss' principal is Muhammad, Ali... let that one soak in for a bit. They say it takes a village no matter it's size in Lawndale. Well I for sure won't be going against the Greatest. The Champ reigns supreme.

So Lake View HS is viewed as the oldest high school in Chicago. However, a little unknown fact is that Tilden was first known as Lake HS, and was annexed into the city the same year as Lake View was founded. It wasn't until years later that it was named Tilden after the former board of education director. When in doubt go with history, Tilden takes it.

No better place to get in on the first day of fall football than Winnemac Stadium for Hot Thursday 4:15 CPL Action! Hyde Park vs Mather. Great location in Winnemac Park. Get there early and roll across the park to Bang Bang Pie, grab a couple of ham biscuits and a slice of pie, then settle in for the game. No lights? It doesn't Mather. HP will have it closed out way before they are necessary.

No better place to get in on the first day of fall football than Winnemac Stadium for Hot Thursday 4:15 CPL Action! Hyde Park vs Mather. Great location in Winnemac Park. Get there early and roll across the park to Bang Bang Pie, grab a couple of ham biscuits and a slice of pie, then settle in for the game. No lights? It doesn't Mather. HP will have it closed out way before they are necessary.
#Protip Might as well get those Thanksgiving Pie orders in while you're there, they go fast!

I am just a lowly apprentice still learning from the masters, so this week I will make only a few observations, the hollow thoughts of a hollow man.

The Phoenix Firebirds sounds redundant to me. It's like saying the Dead Corpses, which would be a good name for a band. Plus, we have the North Lawndale Phoenix, which makes it thrice redundant.

Stagg Field was originally called Marshall Field, after the department store magnate who donated some money, but this is a case where redundancy was required, as the stadium should have been called Marshall Field Field.

The Al Raby Raiders are nothing like the Al Davis Raiders. And then we have the Kennedy Crusaders, which is historically accurate. Kennedy was the first Catholic president and the Crusaders were the Catholic arnies who advanced on the Holy Land. But Kennedy is not a Catholic school. The only Catholic school in the CPL is Our Lady of Tilden.

Next week, I'll try to make another foray into impressionistic journalism.

I am just a lowly apprentice still learning from the masters, so this week I will make only a few observations, the hollow thoughts of a hollow man.

The Phoenix Firebirds sounds redundant to me. It's like saying the Dead Corpses, which would be a good name for a band. Plus, we have the North Lawndale Phoenix, which makes it thrice redundant.

Stagg Field was originally called Marshall Field, after the department store magnate who donated some money, but this is a case where redundancy was required, as the stadium should have been called Marshall Field Field.

The Al Raby Raiders are nothing like the Al Davis Raiders. And then we have the Kennedy Crusaders, which is historically accurate. Kennedy was the first Catholic president and the Crusaders were the Catholic armies who advanced on the Holy Land. But Kennedy is not a Catholic school. The only Catholic school in the CPL is Our Lady of Tilden.

Next week, I'll try to make another foray into impressionistic journalism.
Not sure why, but Marshall Field Field cracks me up way more than it probably should. Also, I still favor Missile Pigs as the Kennedy Mascot, but welcome to the madness of CPL Pick 'em, @Blue Ruin you are going to fit in quite well at Stagg for a 9am Saturday start!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT