ADVERTISEMENT

Coolest Illinois high school nicknames bracket

I've always found Pretzels to be the most intriguing. New Berlin is also the Pretzels. Not just Freeport.

Pekin's old name may have taken the cake...
I won't name the store in Pekin but if you go into a certain store & ask for shirts,pennants,etc with the old nickname on it they have them in the back & only by request.I miss the Joliet East Kingsmen & love the Argonauts.Eastridge Raiders was normal but the Indian on horseback in full gallop was awesome on the helmets same as the mean looking but cute Kayhawk on the Westview helmet

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
I like the Henry Mallards. Although not sure they have football. There's some others I can't think of off hand.

Ultimately I had the pretzels over the orphans. But there were some classic matchups.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Hoopeston Area Cornjerkers - best mascot award

Fisher Bunnies - most unique helmet award

Putting these two against each other is like LWE and Loyola playing in the 1st round.

Reactions: Coalertown44
I known this not for illinois but near Pittsburgh PA is a township called Mars. High school is Mars Area and mascot is Fighting Planets.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Zion-Benton High Zee-Bees is a gimme.
You get school identification immediately, the nickname is unique to that school and it lends itself perfectly to a school mascot.
That is the million-dollar. combination.

Final Four of Lincoln, Cobden, Hoopeston Area, and Teutopolis.

Appleknockers over the Cornjerkers in a finals upset

Reactions: MS4EVER
There is a book i have that covers nicknames of Illinois High Schools & how their nicknames came to be

Reactions: FB1976
No one believes me when I tell them what Pekin's mascot used to be.
It's now the Pekin Dragons
I was at a basketball game at Pekin a few years ago. I was looking at the trophy cases, and came upon an old retired jersey with the old nickname on.

I think Dragons is more appropriate. But honestly, is the Morris REDSKINS not equally offensive?

There was only room to put in one team per slot. Took a long time to make this.
All good dude, I was unsure if some knew New Berlin existed. If you aren't from the Springfield area or don't drive the road to West Forgotonia (I72) often you may not know that town exists. I enjoyed the bracket bud!

I was at a basketball game at Pekin a few years ago. I was looking at the trophy cases, and came upon an old retired jersey with the old nickname on.

I think Dragons is more appropriate. But honestly, is the Morris REDSKINS not equally offensive?
QND is still the Raiders, but they've adopted the tradition Univ of ND interlocked ND logo over the Running Raider of old, a native in dress with a hatchet. I miss the Raider mascot, but it was time for an update.

I still find all of them in Illinois to be inferior to the Hickman Kewpies of Columbia, Missouri. A wall sized nude baby adorned the one end of their basketball gym while I was living there. Was an odd thing see the first time I walked in to that gymnasium.

They have no nickname currently nor does Lemont going on over 2 years 🤪🤪🤪😒😒😒 I think schools should keep the Redskins nickname & change the mascot to a mean looking potato just to see people get butt hurt,cry & watch their heads explode!!! Lemont actually wanted to be called the Engines & a group got offended said nope sounds like Injuns lol because a motor & Indian are similar lol. Shows what a sad state the country is.Ofc ppl outraged by the shooting after the MP vs Mt.Carmel were accused of being racist by "some person" on here when they just stated a fact & nothing more yet 2 or 3 got flushed i believe.Pirates & Raiders are thieves & animals such as Lions & Tigers & Bears maul & kill people so should those nicknames go?

Reactions: FB1976
They have no nickname currently nor does Lemont going on over 2 years 🤪🤪🤪😒😒😒 I think schools should keep the Redskins nickname & change the mascot to a mean looking potato just to see people get butt hurt,cry & watch their heads explode!!! Lemont actually wanted to be called the Engines & a group got offended said nope sounds like Injuns lol because a motor & Indian are similar lol. Shows what a sad state the country is.Ofc ppl outraged by the shooting after the MP vs Mt.Carmel were accused of being racist by "some person" on here when they just stated a fact & nothing more yet 2 or 3 got flushed i believe.Pirates & Raiders are thieves & animals such as Lions & Tigers & Bears maul & kill people so should those nicknames go?
I'm not sure comparing images depicting native americans to animals is really helping your point. History is cool and all, but it's also full of some pretty terrible stuff. Who cares what your nickname is. You're playing for the school, or the name on the back of the jersey as is the case for many these days.

Point is, you'd probably take offense or find it pretty annoying and uncool if someone called themselves the Crackers and had a fat slobby white guy eating chili cheese fries as their mascot. Meaning if it were reversed it's hard to say your feelings would be the same.

I'm not sure comparing images depicting native americans to animals is really helping your point. History is cool and all, but it's also full of some pretty terrible stuff. Who cares what your nickname is. You're playing for the school, or the name on the back of the jersey as is the case for many these days.

Point is, you'd probably take offense or find it pretty annoying and uncool if someone called themselves the Crackers and had a fat slobby white guy eating chili cheese fries as their mascot. Meaning if it were reversed it's hard to say your feelings would be the same.
I don't think you're going to get the response you're hoping for with this analogy. Me personally, I'm as pasty white as they come and a team called the Crackers would have zero effect on me and that mascot sounds awesome! Even if it wasn't my school, I'd buy a hoodie.

I don't think you're going to get the response you're hoping for with this analogy. Me personally, I'm as pasty white as they come and a team called the Crackers would have zero effect on me and that mascot sounds awesome! Even if it wasn't my school, I'd buy a hoodie.
That's fair. I'm not really looking for any response. I know I'm capable of a civil conversation about this topic versus slamming my fists and simply saying "why can't y'all just leave my potentially offensive nicknames alone" like the other guy did.

Just feels like you reside in the same camp as most who are as pasty white as you've described. Which is the camp that has never been threatened, been persecuted, herded off their land, or enslaved because of the color of their skin. At least the majority of pasty whites in this country haven't. You find it funny because it's not something that historically you've had to worry about. That's really all I'm getting at. Compassion for other's feelings and values and cultures isn't that hard, stubbornness and lack of understanding of others' cultures, feelings, and values is certainly rampant in this country, however. I'll let it go at that. Enjoy that hoodie, my guy.

Reactions: USD24 and 4Afan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT