ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Parkey

eireog

Oct 6, 2007
Could Cody Parkey or any kicker actually hit the uprights 4 times in a game if they actually tried to? It’s one of those questions gamblers ask themselves. I didn’t hit the window and I know it didn’t come down to that, but ????

Reactions: Iamjaytee
The Bears are a legitimate playoff team without a playoff caliber kicker. Big problem.

Reactions: Gene K.
The Bears are a legitimate playoff team without a playoff caliber kicker. Big problem.
I agree. This team is way ahead of where I thought they’d be. I thought Mitch Trubisky looked different today, not the fuller beard. His passes are hitting guys in stride, he’s starting to show some touch, you can almost see the light bulb going on. For the first time in a very long time I’m eagerly anticipating Bear games.

Reactions: Gene K. and Skins93
Agree 100%. I would hate to see the Bears post-season cut short because Parkey goes goal post hunting again. You've got ONE JOB!

Yes, it is pretty bad when a kicker who misses 2 FGs in range and 2 PATs ends up costing the team 7 points.

Yes, it is pretty bad when a kicker who misses 2 FGs in range and 2 PATs ends up costing the team 7 points.

As bad as your math? Or are you offsetting a point because they got a 2 point conversion... but then to be fair if they failed on that conversion you would have to say he cost his team 9 points for the same misses?!

Reactions: kkhawk
As bad as your math? Or are you offsetting a point because they got a 2 point conversion... but then to be fair if they failed on that conversion you would have to say he cost his team 9 points for the same misses?!
I knew someone would respond to my post and I guess it was you. Nothing wrong with my math. The fact is, they attempted the 2 point conversion because of the missed field goals. Here is how the math works.

The Bears scored five touchdowns yesterday. If all five PATs were made the total points would have been 35 for those. Then you add the six points they would have had if Parkey had made both FG attempts. I don't know about you. But in my world that adds up to 41 points.

The Bears scored a total of 34 points yesterday. The difference between 41 and 34 is 7 points. They did make one up as a result of the 2 point conversion. Yes, you could say he cost the team 9 potential points if the 2 point conversion had failed.

But then again, how do we know he would have made the PAT if they didn't go for the 2 point conversion?

I knew someone would respond to my post and I guess it was you. Nothing wrong with my math. The fact is, they attempted the 2 point conversion because of the missed field goals. Here is how the math works.

The Bears scored five touchdowns yesterday. If all five PATs were made the total points would have been 35 for those. Then you add the six points they would have had if Parkey had made both FG attempts. I don't know about you. But in my world that adds up to 41 points.

The Bears scored a total of 34 points yesterday. The difference between 41 and 34 is 7 points. They did make one up as a result of the 2 point conversion. Yes, you could say he cost the team 9 potential points if the 2 point conversion had failed.

But then again, how do we know he would have made the PAT if they didn't go for the 2 point conversion?

You just gave a really long explanation to tell me yes I was correct, you were indeed using the 2 point conversion as an offset. I have no problem with that math at all.

there are nine million reasons Parkays not going any where at least this week.

Robbie Gould, the Bears' all time leading scorer, has converted 18 of 19 FGAs and 17 of 18 PATs so far this year with the 49ers.

When the brilliant Ryan Pace decided to "upgrade the kicking position" (a direct quote from Pace, btw) three seasons ago, he let go of a kicker who has converted on 67 of 70 FG attempts in the three years since he was cut by the Bears. In the same time period, Pace's multiple upgrades to the position have managed to make 48 of 63 FG attempts. What a great decision that was.

My math says Parkey sucks.

Sooner or later Parkey is going to cost the bears a critical game. IMHO they need 10 wins to insure a spot in the post season. That means they need to win 4 out of the last 7 games.

Giants, Lions, and 49'ers look doable leaving the Rams, Packers and Vikings twice. Those games could come down to FGs and Extra points.

In my opinion they cut Robby for financial reasons. They needed an OL at the time and they needed money to sign Josh Sutton.

Sooner or later Parkey is going to cost the bears a critical game. IMHO they need 10 wins to insure a spot in the post season. That means they need to win 4 out of the last 7 games.

Giants, Lions, and 49'ers look doable leaving the Rams, Packers and Vikings twice. Those games could come down to FGs and Extra points.
The Rams just lost their go to receiver for the season with a torn ACL. The Packers are very very beatable. They will at least split with the Vikings. If they win the three you speak of along with beating the Pack and splitting with Minnesota they win the division.

You just gave a really long explanation to tell me yes I was correct, you were indeed using the 2 point conversion as an offset. I have no problem with that math at all.
Maybe we are both correct. But if you are saying Parkey was responsible for 8 points, that is right, no question.

The Rams just lost their go to receiver for the season with a torn ACL. The Packers are very very beatable. They will at least split with the Vikings. If they win the three you speak of along with beating the Pack and splitting with Minnesota they win the division.

Rams won't be hurt too bad by that injury. I personally don't expect a W there. Way too many weapons and a good D.

The rest of the games are win-able as long as the defense continues it's dominance, key injuries don't happen and Mitch continues to grow and learn. My money is on the Bears in the playoffs, which after last season is a HUGE step forward.

Rams won't be hurt too bad by that injury. I personally don't expect a W there. Way too many weapons and a good D.

The rest of the games are win-able as long as the defense continues it's dominance, key injuries don't happen and Mitch continues to grow and learn. My money is on the Bears in the playoffs, which after last season is a HUGE step forward.
We will get a good read on the Rams when they play the Chiefs in Mexico on Monday night. I am not expecting a win against the Rams...but I am not expecting a loss against the Giants and 49ers either. You have to play the games.

If they cut him he will be laughing on his way to the bank.
If you throw out Sunday's game, Parkey has been pretty darned good for the Bears. Every kicker has a bad game. This makes a person appreciate Robbie Gould and Kevin Butler more. Hard to kick at Soldier Field.

We will get a good read on the Rams when they play the Chiefs in Mexico on Monday night. I am not expecting a win against the Rams...but I am not expecting a loss against the Giants and 49ers either. You have to play the games.

They moved the game to LA because the field is all torn up in Mexico but your point still stands.

If you throw out Sunday's game, Parkey has been pretty darned good for the Bears. Every kicker has a bad game. This makes a person appreciate Robbie Gould and Kevin Butler more. Hard to kick at Soldier Field.

You're right I might be bashing the guy based on 1 really bad day. I think that very make-able missed FG against Miami in OT weighs heavy on me. Bears should be 7-2. Then again, I can take that a step further and blame Fuller for dropping a sure INT against GB in week one and say they should be 8-1. Can't play that game or you'll drive yourself nuts.

They moved the game to LA because the field is all torn up in Mexico but your point still stands.
Thank you for the correction. That is good for LA. Personally I think this whole London, Mexico City stuff is crap. Someone has to lose a home game as a result.

Reactions: markmacaluso
or maybe in the Miami game the secondary could of made a tackle in the 4th qtr...or they could of called some better plays to set up the fg attempt...or maybe Howard could of held onto the ball going into the endzone...lol...btw prior to Sunday Parkay was 28-28 on pats and 13-15 on fgs

Don't get me wrong fellas. I'm very happy with the Bears progress this year. It's fun to watch them play again. Last couple of years I didn't even care if I missed a game doing yard work or having bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails.

Don't get me wrong fellas. I'm very happy with the Bears progress this year. It's fun to watch them play again. Last couple of years I didn't even care if I missed a game doing yard work or having bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails.
I understand.I was just like you. I just wish more would sit back and enjoy what we are seeing this year after the crap we have seen the past how many years? And many NFL experts are saying the Bears are actually ahead of where they thought they would be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT